Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 03-15-2015

I have been sitting on character select for... 12 minutes now with allegedly one player in queue in front of me.

I am going to suplex my computer through my window.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 03-15-2015

'DRG LOL A DRG'.

It wasn't particularly funny at launch and it certainly isn't any funnier now.

I can't wait for the expansion so I can play MCH. Not only does it fit my character but hopefully I'll be able to avoid the same sort of 'class-ism' that plagued Death Knights and Hunters back in WoW.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-15-2015

(03-15-2015, 02:25 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I have been sitting on character select for... 12 minutes now with allegedly one player in queue in front of me.

I am going to suplex my computer through my window.

Completely close the application and load it back up again. I had the same problem. Reloading fixed it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kyrio Lamansque - 03-15-2015

I exited and restarted twice. Original was a queue of one. First restart was a queue of 1. Now I got a queue of 229! Progress? I'm not sure.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-15-2015

(03-15-2015, 03:00 PM)Sukakun Wrote: I exited and restarted twice. Original was a queue of one. First restart was a queue of 1. Now I got a queue of 229! Progress? I'm not sure.
I think when it gives queues that aren't 1 you're better off. xD

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-15-2015

Oh, I got to suffer another thing I hate about this game sometimes just now.

I bluescreened for whatever reason, restart my computer, try to log back in because I was in the middle of a dungeon at the time. And now I get to sit through 2-3 minutes of "YOUR CHARACTER IS STILL IN THE GAME, PLEASE WAIT A FEW MOMENTS." I need to get back in the game to finish the dungeon, SE!

... Oh, and then I get the 1 queue bug afterward.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kyrio Lamansque - 03-15-2015

I know this game has its own set of problems. But after trying to help run a RP guild in ArcheAge.. Mah Gawd, this game is a RPers paradise in contrast. Head tracking, different idle stances, an emote system as long with at least twice as many (of not three). Mah GAWD! Just being back in it made me wiggle with happiness. 

Maybe i should PuG a few times to take the excitement out of it and bring back my loathing.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Meena - 03-16-2015

All that needs to be said is...
"Damn 3012"

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 03-16-2015

(03-09-2015, 01:08 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 12:52 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: People who improperly gear their job in dungeon/trial/raid content.
(PVP gear in PVE. NIN wearing STR. Healers wearing INT. Spiritbonding and your DPS really shows it...)

[Image: tumblr_mhxf4sRuAg1rk7oy2o1_500.gif]

That gif is my life. There is a reason I like crafting. (On a side note, please people. Let me make you HQ i90 armor if you're a fresh 50. Friends don't let friends wear AF into HM primals)

Hey franz...you know what Nah was wearing in her first run Titan, Garude and Ifrit HM....AF gear AND a level 45 sword and shield. Huehuehue firgot to equip the Heavy Wolfies you made for her once upon a time.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 03-16-2015

Maybe we need a survival guide that shares strategies for surviving such things.
  • Expect barely adequate players and characters
  • Don't complain or draw attention to yourself
  • Play well within your limits and the limits of others
  • You are here to win, not make friends
  • Don't take anything personality 
  • Let tank get pleanty of aggro and don't blow all your CDs
  • Consider 30min lockout > fail group, there is always the PvP queue
  • Etc..

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 03-16-2015

(03-15-2015, 02:27 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I can't wait for the expansion so I can play MCH. Not only does it fit my character but hopefully I'll be able to avoid the same sort of 'class-ism' that plagued Death Knights and Hunters back in WoW.

MCH gonna be the new DRG because lolguns. It fits the criteria - all the tryhards are gonna go to that because omg guns, it's a DPS class and will likely be difficult to use well at first for many due to turret manipulation.

I'm afraid you will never escape. Sad

I don't think I've had any terrible tales since I haven't really been doing content lately. Lights are just too boring a step.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 07:51 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: don't think I've had any terrible tales since I haven't really been doing content lately. Lights are just too boring a step.

Most of mine as of late are grumbling about idiots in dungeons while trying to get Nexus items. The tanks who are also on Nexus trying to rush with fresh DPS, the guy in a mix of Soldiery and Poetic tank gear still doing single pulls with two BLMs on hand, people showing up with PvP leftside and spiritbonding right side, people forgetting dungeons are level-adjusted and still trying to act like they (or I, more frequently) have their full level-50 capability. You know, "the usual."

My most recent, though, is a Qarn HM run I had a couple days back that I spoke rather emphatically about over FC and LS chat later. Had two fresh DPS, tank didn't bother letting us stop to explain the fights, so all THREE of them die to quicksand on the first boss (after going the first couple "rounds" breaking every limb but the glowing one). Tank releases, one of the DPS follows suit, so reviving them is right out. So I just kite the boss until he's dead, go me.

Second boss, I explain the fight while we're beating up one of the giant head things. I tell the DPS to kill the adds to keep things clean and simple. Tank says I should kite the adds. Hahaha, no. Fortunately, the DPS listen to me over the tank and we have no problems. Last boss was a mummyfest, but we managed that as well.

Still not as bad as the Hullbreaker run where I had a similar situation (rushing tank, two fresh DPS), because the tank THERE would rush into the boss fights before the DPS could even catch up and get them locked out - which was obviously their fault. Also, he tried to tell me how I'm "supposed" to heal and that's a major no-no when you're the idiot making huge pulls and trying to use Holmgang like it's Hallowed Ground.

... I will be so glad once I'm done with my Zodiac, I swear.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 03-16-2015

I wish to file a gripe about myself.

Some folks in my FC very kindly asked me if I would tank for them in some Odin farming. I admitted to not being incredibly awesome at it, but I agreed, because moar practice is good, yes?

I really have to reiterate, I am NOT GREAT at this fight at all. At least I don't feel like I am. I mean, I tick off my def cooldowns but maybe not quite fast enough...or I hit it too early by accident because I mistake Hall of Stone's bar for Sangetall's...and I'm sure I should do the clicky thing before Einherjar? But then maybe the buff wears before Sangetall?

Basically, what should be a farm ends up with a couple of deaths. Not sure if they're my fault or not....I mean I don't end up being the first to die but...sort of I do? Sometimes. There was the one time.

I'm bad at Odin. But I need to do more Odin to not be bad at Odin. But I don't know if I'm improving. And I'm sure there are others who farm Odin harder and better.

I jus' wan' be good to my FC.
:c

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 08:25 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I hit it too early by accident because I mistake Hall of Stone's bar for Sangetall's...and I'm sure I should do the clicky thing before Einherjar? But then maybe the buff wears before Sangetall?

I am hella guilty of mistaking cast bar spells and pre-maturely popping Inner Beast. I'm sure my healers hate me in T12 sometimes. Outside of that, mechanics for Odin fight are pretty straightforward. Vengeance or Inner Beast+Awareness Sangeskill, keep Storm's Path up, avoid AoEs, and that's pretty much the only responsibilities for the MT in Odin. So if you're doing those three things, you're doing your part. That said, healing that fight is an incredibly painful mix of constant AoE damage on DPS and randomly high-hitting damage on tank, so it's very easy for healers to sometimes get overwhelmed with the damage going out and let the tank go down to a Sange they didn't stoneskin/adlo prep. So I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad, Odin isn't the most forgiving of fights. Simple, but pretty unforgiving. Pretty much just try to take as little damage as possible to help out your healers. ^^

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 12:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(03-16-2015, 08:25 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I hit it too early by accident because I mistake Hall of Stone's bar for Sangetall's...and I'm sure I should do the clicky thing before Einherjar?  But then maybe the buff wears before Sangetall?

I am hella guilty of mistaking cast bar spells and pre-maturely popping Inner Beast. I'm sure my healers hate me in T12 sometimes. Outside of that, mechanics for Odin fight are pretty straightforward. Vengeance or Inner Beast+Awareness Sangeskill, keep Storm's Path up, avoid AoEs, and that's pretty much the only responsibilities for the MT in Odin. So if you're doing those three things, you're doing your part. That said, healing that fight is an incredibly painful mix of constant AoE damage on DPS and randomly high-hitting damage on tank, so it's very easy for healers to sometimes get overwhelmed with the damage going out and let the tank go down to a Sange they didn't stoneskin/adlo prep. So I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad, Odin isn't the most forgiving of fights. Simple, but pretty unforgiving. Pretty much just try to take as little damage as possible to help out your healers. ^^

At least it wasn't like my one attempt at the Odin fight. Healing as hard as I can to keep everyone up, only to find out about a half-hour/forty-five minutes in that our DPS wasn't high enough to get him low enough before he pops his instant-kill move. Good times.

... There's a reason I haven't cleared that fight yet on either one of my Lalas.