Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 04-06-2015

I cleared SoF on my first try.

Anyway what really got me today.

Every venture I had after my jet black dye dropped. (Second retainer dropped shaded spectacles, and I was wearing the snow coat. Talk about edgy)

Was.

Pure white. Over, and over, and over, and over.

I now have like 20 of those things and I can't get rid of them.

Maybe my retainer is trying to tell me to stop wearing so much black people cut themselves looking at me. (Which I won't ever stop because black is the best shade ever (Yes. Black is not a color, but a shade.))

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 04-07-2015

Makin' it rain F R E E T O M E S doing trial roulette as a tank. If anyone actually needs help clearing, I can help; my roulette today was 6 newbies and we cleared on the 2nd try.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-07-2015

I don't need a clear.

I need less dumbasses in DR.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 04-07-2015

SoF = "Stupidly Obligatory Fight"

Yeah, I said it.

I have a personal bias against using Raid-difficulty content in a game's STORY mode, though. If everyone who wants to see the Heavensward content they are paying for has to go through this obligatory beast of an instance just to GO to Ishgard, expect to see a lot of pissed-off casual gamers who just want to see some new territory and cool story without having to master something harder than many parts of Coil seem to be.

Referring to previous experiences, a decision like this dealt a massive blow to LOTRO when it put a very potent gate on the Main Story content, which, at one point, could not be completed without gear from raid-difficulty dungeons that permitted access to later parts of the story - gear that only dropped one piece for every run of 8 people. I understand they fixed this now, but that's the point: they had to fix it, and didn't before a lot of people got pissed off enough to actively hate an expansion that should have pumped massive life into the game.

So, yeah go ahead and tell me to stop complaining, SOF isn't THAT hard if you cooperate, that I did finally get past it, yadda yadda. Most of us reading these forums know people and have friends that helped us beat it. I am not against difficult content, but using it to gate a game's Main Story is a poor decision, especially if we do indeed have to slog through the WHOLE MSQ to get characters to the new content when the expansion is unleashed.

And yeah, I know, we had to do this before with all the primal quests, yes yes. I thought that was dumb, too. Eventually, this will all blow over. But the expansion is going to pull a lot of people with maxed-out characters back into the game, and there will be a hellish amount of anger at SoF, which is designed specifically to make your hard-won gear useless and will demand cooperation of hundreds of people who haven't played in months, and who will be blindsided by this instance. Controllers WILL be thrown. At least give people their griffins and Au Ra and access to Ishgard without having to do this mess, please, SE, for the sake of your bottom line?

I played another game that told its player base, at 50, "LOL Shutup and get good, noob." That game was Wildstar. Hey, Carbine, how's that working' out for ya... where did my RP server go, hm?
It's the vent thread, and I'm venting. Nyah.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 09:14 PM)Telluride Wrote: But the expansion is going to pull a lot of people with maxed-out characters back into the game, and there will be a hellish amount of anger at SoF, which is designed specifically to make your hard-won gear useless and will demand cooperation of hundreds of people who haven't played in months, and who will be blindsided by this instance.

Actually, that's kinda why I disliked the Ultros fight. Sure, it doesn't gate anything but more Manderville content (which, I suppose, is still a good enough reason to be unhappy), but it's basically a fight where the DPS HAS to know what they're doing. One DPS not paying attention can easily mean "welp, we're doing the fight again."

... At least until I learned about the whole "jump out of the ring beforehand" trick. Which is why I always tank Typhon when I get it as a random on Chachan. If one of the DPS died or has no water because they're punching Typhon for whatever reason... I'm waiting on that edge to jump out.

But at least that fight can be reset relatively quickly. Having to wait for SoF to play out completely before you can try again is inexcusable.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 09:54 PM)Gegenji Wrote: But at least that fight can be reset relatively quickly. Having to wait for SoF to play out completely before you can try again is inexcusable.

Nah, see.

SoF plays out.

DUTY FAILED.

Then wait 2 minutes.

THEN RESET.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 04-08-2015

Nothing in the MSQ is really "raid-difficulty" though, not on the level of first Coil mechanically (certainly not T5). And the one time that something really was hard enough that it gated story (King Mog HM), SE nerfed it the following patch.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Ha'uruh Nunh - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 12:12 AM)Jana Wrote: Nothing in the MSQ is really "raid-difficulty" though, not on the level of first Coil mechanically (certainly not T5). And the one time that something really was hard enough that it gated story (King Mog HM), SE nerfed it the following patch.

This.  Annoying fight, maybe, but even in a group packed with newbies and poor fuckers that got it for trial roulette, I managed to clear it wiping only once.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 04-08-2015

Don't you just hate it when you're tanking and you're smoothly and systematically erasing 2~3 mob packs at a time. You pace your TP/MP consumption to maintain aggro on you. Everything is smooth, everything is fine.

Then a third pack shows up when you're still gutting the remnants of packs 1 and 2 but that's okay cuz you paced resource spending and quickly reign in pack 3.

Then pack 4 and 5 come  on while Pack 1 and 2 still have stragglers in them, it's getting hard, packs 3, 4 and 5 are spread all over the place and you try to angle your overpower so you snag as much of them as you can.

You're running out of TP now, what's more you're forced to rely on a combination of Bloodbath, Berserk and Thrill of Battle to keep yourself alive because for some reason your HP isn't going up as much anymore.

Out of the corner of your eye you see the healer bringing around packs 6, 7 and 8. 

You curse the gods and try to reign in the additional 3 packs, but hey packs 1 through 4 are already dead. 

You time your Overpowers and mix in a little flash because on average you have >90 TP on you. 

The ninja is retarded and does not goad despite your calls for it. 

You should be dead, the whole party should be dead but for some strange reason. That could also be noted as retarded healing, desperation, popping all known warrior cds to keep yourself breathing and lolphysicking. For some strange reason, you manage to walk out of the area with >10 HP left and the rest of the party dead.

I came in there because I wanted to farm the Cavalry set. I did not go into lolflox HM to be subjected to the whims of a CONJURER. No, Kell, this isn't the same Conjurer we met at Cutter's Cry. This is another breed of stupid entirely. 

And then he was all 'You should be thankful I kept you alive, tank.' 

I did not see his MP go below 80% in that entire fight. Not once and I kept my eye on everyone's status. Specifically the healer's so I know when to drop the mobs and run in circles throwing the occasional overpower/flash to maintain aggro while the healer regenerates MP. 

It is a shameful day when the BLM takes it upon himself to be the healer. My HP was not topped off but damn if I wasn't at least at 30% through a huge chunk of that fight.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 06:31 AM)Ramuhnuh Wrote: Out of the corner of your eye you see the healer bringing around packs 6, 7 and 8. 

[Image: tumblr_mk0k416nTW1qkfwf2o1_r1_500.jpg]

Remind the healer it's not their job to be pulling anything. If (when) they get uppity, commence dismiss.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-08-2015

Votekick, call me in. I have a SCH to level Ramooners.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 04-08-2015

I seriously don't get how DPS and healers get it into their heads that they could or should be pulling mobs. If the tank is pulling too few for your comfort, you talk to them - tell them that the group can handle a larger pack. Hopefully the tank listens and pulls more. At no point should they take it upon themselves to grab more stuff... especially if pulling more isn't a consensus with the rest of the group.

But no, it's usually folks that want to be done fast and want huge pulls regardless of whether the group can handle it or not because they totally have so many other things to do. What they never seem to be able to wrap their heads around is that wiping takes up more time than properly pacing the pulls.

... And, please, if big pulls are being done? HOLD OFF ON DPS until the mob is gathered! I had a WPHM run that had more than one incident of the DRG getting mobs on him because he was DPSing mid-pull. So I have to double back to get THAT thing, which means a Flash isn't being used on the rest of the group, which means the WHM's Medica pulls the freshest mobs' aggro onto them...

It's just an obnoxious downward spiral.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 04-08-2015

Oh I would votekick if they weren't all in a damned party. The dps thankfully kept silent instead. I'd probably just eat the penalty if they spewed as much stupid as their healer friend who DID NOT EVEN GET HIS WHM SOULSTONE.

Yeah I pointed it out the first few times before the first boss. "Dude you want a complete run? Sure let's do that just don't pull anymore mobs on me okay?"

He kept doing it on that area after the first boss. I was all "Dude, calm your tits we'll get to killing everything in time. I'm not geared to 50 and conveniently item synced."

Still did it. "Healer, you keep this up and I will votekick your ass." His friends stepped in and defended him. Alright then. I've got a long-ish fuse. 

After the second boss. "DAMNIT HEALER, I JUST TOLD YOU WE'D KILL EVERYTHING SO FUCKIN STOP. And please put on the WHM Soulstone, it'll make things easier for us and I get to do these big pulls you want."

"lol don't have it. You're a warrior, kill things faster."

^^^This statement took the damned cake. I was already keeping berserk off cooldown, timing it so the countdowns for maim and berserk synced up and just eating the Pacification that came with it, cuz he didn't want to waste mp on Esuna. Alright...except he had so much MP TO WASTE. 

I just tabbed out then and grit through it for the chance to get another cavalry piece. After I flipped out a lot. 

Then the sweet disconnection notice came and I went to make the post before this and practiced doodling to sound of Nujabes. Forget reconnecting. 

Also thanks for the offer to help Kell. I'll hit you up on it as soon as I pick up the Cavalry set or maybe start seeing very reduced returns on Lolflox exp. Also as soon as my ISP allows me to tank properly again.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 04-09-2015

"lol don't have it. You're a warrior, kill things faster."

^ I went through something like this today tanking T5.

im sitting there solo tanking like a boss, PLD is beautiful in T5, one Sentinel and Rampart plus a CoS and im eating damage and holding aggro neat. 

Suddenly for some reason I see one of the add Dragon derail from me and attack the DRG. I know it's not because I didn't hold aggro. My meter was full, FULL. So I simply thought it over, maybe it was a fluke, maybe it was a ---

"Dude why do you have Provoke as a dps? Where is your two rings? Why are you using a level 55 weapon? WHY ARE YOU A LANCER?" 

The other dps which was a BRD suddenly called it out. Im  still there apparently tanking one last full hp scourge and a 25% one. With a half added geared LNC & a BRD (Which naturally aren't the best dps) + 3 SMN (just a /fantastic/ pug)

Maybe im dreaming this. . . I ask "why did you join my OF if you were gonna waste time? " simple question really. 

"Just shut up and tank. If you're good I won't die and will dps regardless of my level. "

. . . . . . . . . OK THEN. Strike 1

We're at the conflagration phase, everything is going a little slower than normal. To cover for lack of dps every so often im juggling sword and shield oath while healers juggling cleric stance. Red triangle pops over the pole twirled. I told him to move to the soak side.

"Or you can be a smart Paladin and use cover on me."

*violent twitching* alright then. . .

Strike two.

I of course watched him get loled by Twitania for that. But sadly we had to restart him because his crappy dps was still needed.

Lord preserve me dives come. He gets hit one time. Everyone tells him not to run back to us.

He does it anyway. Marker pops above him again. Several people get knocked out into the death ring and die. Me, a healer and the DRG are still alive. 

"You guys suck."

That's cute.

"No you're just a fucking awful dps. Even by lolgoon standards."

I love you healer.

Snakes pop. LNC uses PROVOKE again.  

Strike 3.

I just trot outside the ring and die. Then leave duty once everyone else dies.

Never have I met someone like that join something like a FARM PARTY ON T5.

If I wasn't nice I would have said so much more than "Can you /not/ use a tank move?"

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nara'to - 04-09-2015

So there I was walking into the Quicksand.  As I enter the door way I notice this cute little Lala checking me out from the corner of my eye.

I proceed to walk over to her.  I start off slowly by being charming towards her.  A moment of silence got me to thinking that I may have done something wrong.

"Alright!", I said.  I proceeded to give her everything I had and then some.  I charmed her cute little Lala butt off!  Sadly this too was met with silence and a blank stare in my direction.

After doing this for a good 10 minutes i was starting to get very annoyed that nothing I was doing was getting a reaction from this cutey.  So then I decided to ask her out loud, "What's your deal?  Why won't you respond to me?"

A moment later someone taps me on the shoulder and tells me I was talking to an NPC.  After glancing over her a moment my face turned so many shades of red as I slowly made my way out the door and under a rock.

Moral of the story?  NPC's are cold and heartless Q_Q

((Couldn't help it.  So many upset posts I wanted to attempt some sort of humor to hopefully get someone laughing ^.^))