Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 08:00 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: So, I have 20% chance of failure on getting a Rapid Synthesis, and 30/40 on a 80% chance to HQ Mummer's Daggers.

20% x 3 fails in a row.

Sad

Oh jeez, don't get me started on those HQ Mummer's Daggers. Or HQ crafting in general. I've had way too may 92% Quality crafts turn out normal and I didn't notice until I was done with a batch because "that totally HQ'd." And so many Steady Hand II'd Hasty Touches that have failed on me in a row. I honestly believe that that chance percentage displayed for all actions is actually, like, 10-20 lower than actually shown unless it's a full 100.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SicketySix - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 08:11 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 08:00 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: So, I have 20% chance of failure on getting a Rapid Synthesis, and 30/40 on a 80% chance to HQ Mummer's Daggers.

20% x 3 fails in a row.

Sad

Oh jeez, don't get me started on those HQ Mummer's Daggers. Or HQ crafting in general. I've had way too may 92% Quality crafts turn out normal and I didn't notice until I was done with a batch because "that totally HQ'd." And so many Steady Hand II'd Hasty Touches that have failed on me in a row. I honestly believe that that chance percentage displayed for all actions is actually, like, 10-20 lower than actually shown unless it's a full 100.
None of my crafting classes are really that high, but I can fail ingots at 20% HQ rate for hours without nailing even one.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 04-23-2015

I spent a bunch of money to keep failing at these mummer's.

Need to learn to craft. ; ;

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 04-23-2015

Had a dragoon ez-mode their way through WP HM (Exp Rou) with me tanking last night. Heavy Thrust and Full Thrust combo only. No Phleb and no Chaos Thrust combo until we wiped on the last boss because DPS didnt down adds in time to save the healer.

Let me repeat that. Lv 50 DRG in i100+ didnt DoT or Disembowel a thing throughout a whole dungeon until I called for more DPS. No jumps either.

Lazy time-wasting shit.

(04-23-2015, 12:14 PM)Melkire Wrote: Had a dragoon ez-mode their way through WP HM (Exp Rou) with me tanking last night. Heavy Thrust and Full Thrust combo only. No Phleb and no Chaos Thrust combo until we wiped on the last boss because DPS didnt down adds in time to save the healer.

Let me repeat that. Lv 50 DRG in i100+ didnt DoT or Disembowel a thing throughout a whole dungeon until I called for more DPS. No jumps either.

I got into a Cutter's Cry run while leveling NIN on Gogon a couple days ago. The Paladin tank (who, going by his relic, was working on his books) ONLY used the Riot Blade combo. Did not use an Oath, did not use Flash. A regen tick after a good solid few seconds of waiting would have all the adds he wasn't focusing on going after the healer. And he would just sit there.

Riot Blading.

You're darn right we votekicked him. [sub]<[/sub][sup]Angry[/sup][sub]>[/sub]

I don't know if it's anyone else...

but as a healer, when I SCH, it's -painfully- obvious when a group's dps isn't enough. Especially so when a tank has pulled A LOT.

Because I'm not in a state of, should I be trying to contribut- NO NO NO LUSTRATE PHYSICK OK I GOTTA HEAL THE TANK..... why is this still -all- of the mobs? NGHH T_T

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Iex - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 12:27 PM)Kage Wrote: I don't know if it's anyone else...

but as a healer, when I SCH, it's -painfully- obvious when a group's dps isn't enough. Especially so when a tank has pulled A LOT.

Because I'm not in a state of, should I be trying to contribut- NO NO NO LUSTRATE PHYSICK OK I GOTTA HEAL THE TANK..... why is this still -all- of the mobs? NGHH T_T

Back when Speed running Brayflox HM was considered standard, and I was healing that stuff, I could always tell when the DPS was not up to the task.

A scholar only has so many bags of tricks before it ends up going bad if the mob count isn't down low enough that you literally are not mashing the keys to keep the tank and DPS alive for than 30 seconds. It is like a tug of war where you slowly are losing unless the DPS remove some of the other team.

(04-23-2015, 12:49 PM)Iex Wrote: A scholar only has so many bags of tricks before it ends up going bad if the mob count isn't down low enough that you literally are not mashing the keys to keep the tank and DPS alive for than 30 seconds. It is like a tug of war where you slowly are losing unless the DPS remove some of the other team.

Seriously. If I went through SIX Aetherflow stacks trying to keep the tank up and we still died? Something's up. Though, what is "up" could be many things.

In the case I mentioned, it was the tank thinking that he could totally pull and tank half the mobs outside the crystal light in Darkhold. Because "you should be able to keep me up." Yes, fellow level 50, I possibly could if you were in the light - or if we weren't level synced and I had access to all of my abilities. Frustrated

Trust me, the tank feels it just as badly if not more so. Except in the tank's case, it's "...I've cycled through all my mitigation cooldowns and the mobs are still up. Probably gonna die soon. Shit shit shit shit shit healer pls ffffffuuuuuuu--"

(04-23-2015, 12:53 PM)Melkire Wrote:

Trust me, the tank feels it just as badly if not more so. Except in the tank's case, it's "...I've cycled through all my mitigation cooldowns and the mobs are still up. Probably gonna die soon. Shit shit shit shit shit healer pls ffffffuuuuuuu--"

BUT THE TANK KEEPS PULLING THE SAME AMOUNT T_T

edit in!
(04-23-2015, 12:52 PM)Gegenji Wrote: In the case I mentioned, it was the tank thinking that he could totally pull and tank half the mobs outside the crystal light in Darkhold. Because "you should be able to keep me up." Yes, fellow level 50, I possibly could if you were in the light - or if we weren't level synced and I had access to all of my abilities. Frustrated
IMO for Darkhold, you ain't in the light, you dead.

(04-23-2015, 12:55 PM)Kage Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 12:53 PM)Melkire Wrote:

BUT THE TANK KEEPS PULLING THE SAME AMOUNT T_T

I can only speak for myself.

1. I check which DPS classes/jobs are in party with me.
2. If I have at least one THM/BLM, or some combination of class/job that lends itself well to AoE DPS (DRG/BRD), then I pull big.
3. If big pull doesn't go over well, I reassess and account for low DPS or strained healing.
4. I adjust the following pulls accordingly.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Chris Ganale - 04-23-2015

I wouldn't say DRG make for decent aoe damage. Better than MNK to be certain, but Ring of Thorns and Doom Spike are small potatoes.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SunTzu7 - 04-23-2015

I don't usually check the DPS for big pulls unless they're very undergeared, but I always ask at the start if everyone's comfortable with big pulls. If they say yes and people die anyway, or if I have to start spamming cooldowns (or God forbid, pop Hallowed Ground), I'll adjust accordingly.

Alternately, if I'm healing, I like to think I'm perfectly capable of handling whatever madcap suicide methods disguised as tactics you decide to do.

But people who don't stand in the crystal light, even after I explained that five times and why won't you stand in the goddamn light. That can try me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 04-23-2015

(04-23-2015, 02:47 PM)SunTzu7 Wrote: I don't usually check the DPS for big pulls unless they're very undergeared, but I always ask at the start if everyone's comfortable with big pulls. If they say yes and people die anyway, or if I have to start spamming cooldowns (or God forbid, pop Hallowed Ground), I'll adjust accordingly.

Um, just curious. Why would you not pop Hallowed Ground or buff on Big Pulls? I mean, if you're pulling 10+ mobs, that's like the single best time to use Hallowed Ground. Can't think of a single boss fight in any dungeon where I'd even consider needing 10s of invincibility.

More buffs (especially PLD, cuz when I heal dungeons it's amazing seeing how many PLDs never pop a single buff during the whole dungeon run) means less damage and less damage is more DPSing a healer can do to supplement DPS, especially if you don't have a BLM.

(04-23-2015, 02:46 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: I wouldn't say DRG make for decent aoe damage. Better than MNK to be certain, but Ring of Thorns and Doom Spike are small potatoes.

I'd argue that DRG and NIN are the more acceptable melee DPS choices for big pulls. MNK can AoE DPS reliably for as long as Perfect Balance lasts and that's it, then they're back to spreading DoTs and hammering away at single targets as quickly as they can while maybe, MAYBE throwing out a Rockbreaker every third weaponskill GCD.

Ultimately, how far I pull and how many trash mobs I pull will depend on the group composition. MNK and SMN? Nope. BRD and BLM? Yes please.