Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SunTzu7 - 04-23-2015

Fair enough question and the answer is that I'm geared for vit. I dodge AoE's and Stoneskin myself, which means if I pull ten enemies or so, a WHM just needs to chuck a benediction if they want to DPS with Holy, or Lustrate.

I always tailor my pulls to what I feel my party can handle, even of they clear me for full pulls.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 04-23-2015

Plus DRG/BRD together are pretty awesome.

It's just... not everyone knows how to make it worthwhile.

it just sucks when a tank pulls 10 mobs in WPHM and doesn't realize that I spent 6 stacks trying to keep him alive and there's -still more-. ; ; Because he keeps doing those pulls :/

DPS don't usually just change gears and ramp it up. ; ;

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 04-26-2015

I have literally been in my shortest SoF run across all my characters. 

See I went into SoF cuz I needed it to progress Kurt through the MSQ. So while the cutscene was playing for me. I decided to take the time and say.

'Hey, I'm still kind of unfamiliar with the trial. Honestly, this is my first time tanking it."

The other tank drops. The rest of the party vote abandons after the healer drops.

I was in the there for the entirety of 10 seconds.

10 seconds while I wasted 20minutes trying to get in.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Chris Ganale - 04-26-2015

...Holy fuckballs that is ridiculous.

Fucken ridiculous but it fucken happened anyway. Still though, what the fuck were they smoking when they decided to put up SoF as a mandatory thing?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Desu Nee - 04-26-2015

(04-26-2015, 06:47 AM)Ramuhnuh Wrote: Fucken ridiculous but it fucken happened anyway. Still though, what the fuck were they smoking when they decided to put up SoF as a mandatory thing?
To be devil's advocate, Steps of Faith is really really complicated, and constantly, people drop at the smallest excuse. I had to go throught 4 different lobbies until I found one where no one left, and even then it took us like, 3 tries? The one we did it, the dragon was literally at the gate, and I was the only survivor, with 500 HP, and I swiftcasted a flare before biting the dust, which critted and killed it.
It's like Odin's Trial, people take it way too seriously.

As we're here, I'm really tired of Tanks pulling...on low level dungeons. And then dying and trying again and leaving when pointed out you can't.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Chris Ganale - 04-26-2015

I thought I read something about them adjusting it? Still, it is pretty ridiculous to gate story behind something that requires so much coordination. Ran one earlier tonight before work with two of my FCmates and one outside friend of one of them cos a new alt needed a clear. We knew what the hell we were doing, but one of the healers was brand new and the other two DPS had never managed to actually kill it.

Looking between the other dps I figured it was pretty clear that I was best geared and therefore needed to be on the dragon, so we explained our 1 tank/1 healer method to everyone and had the lower-geared healer do one of the cannons.

Except....he didn't. After the first ward was destroyed I had to pick up the slack on the cannons and try to hit snares AND do the Dragonslayers. It was....a futility. But after the first wipe the guy paid attention and did cannons when we said to.

Well whatever the fuck they're smoking I want one. Might be that'll help me pull off SoF.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 04-26-2015

I think the other issue is that there is no ONE method for doing it. Everyone is still figured out what works best, and no two strategies work for the same group. My FC tried to do it the way they were hearing it should be done, but we eventually found the best way for us to clear was to have both healers constantly running ahead and PULLING the mobs with the tank so the canons could get to them evenly - and anyone who needed heals had to come get them as we stopped to do AOEs - myself spamming Holy on the occasions there was no adds and Vishnap had come to a halt. It worked like a bloody charm, but it isn't something everyone would agree with and it helped that we all know each other's strengths and could play to them.

Give it a few months and there will be one unified strategy... And hopefully a nerf. x_x I would love for the current SoF to be made a little harder and packaged as the hard or EX version of the fight, while the normal is nerfed for those poor sods who just want to get into HS. At present, it's far too cruel to expect newbie pugs to manage a fight like that - especially if they've never bothered with raiding or the optional primals.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 04-26-2015

SoF forever displays the problem with PUGs and the problem with a raid/party finder in this game--people can clear if there's mechanics, but force seven egos into creating a cohesive unit is like trying to play Mozart with your forehead. Personally I found the fight thrilling as hell, but can absolutely appreciate folks finding more frustration and derp than nail-biting excitement.

Kurt, you know where I am brutha. I'm familiar with the fight. I know when to fire off the Dragonslayers. Form a team, and give me a poke if you have need of me. I'm just i116 but I can help.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-26-2015

Biggest problem I have with SoF is the other tank being a fucking derp.

Strat used : Get healer's residual aggro to lead the mobs to the front, we peel them off him.
Me : Waits at front for sacrificial healer
Them : HERP DERP GOTTA GET THE DUDES OH WAIT VISHAP JUST MOVED I NEED TO MOVE THEM BACK WAIT WHY AREN'T THEY MOVING WITH ME

Strat used : Both tanks cover each side of the bridge
Me : Heads to left
Them : HEADS TO LEFT AFTER SEEING ME HEAD TO LEFT BECAUSE YOU KNOW

Strat used : OMG OMG OMG WE FUCKED UP
Me : Carefully climbs up the tower to get the adds that climbed up, peels them off the killsat controls, brings them down
Tank : Is dead, complaining that I'm actually doing my job of getting these fuckers in front

Also, Vishap's damage is pretty damn high, and there are groups that'll complain about the tank getting hit too much after complaining that the tank's dodging AoEs thus ensuring that adds are following him instead.

I don't care so much about the difficulty at this point, but let's see - What do you get after one of the most frustrating mandatory experiences in the game?

Loot : NOPE
Lights : Gentle / Bright (in window)

YEAH, FUCK THAT SHIT. There is a reason I absolutely refuse to do SoF. I'm sorry, pre-made groups that are asking for help in actual LSes and will likely know what they're doing, but I'm not subjecting myself to this trial ever again. It's just not worth it.

(oh and even better, it completely destroys Duty Roulette : Trials because you're GUARANTEED to get that one since people need clears for it)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-29-2015

Since this hasn't been posted in in quite some time.

DR : Low Level

Either you're getting Sastacha or Haukke Manor. Nothing else.

PLD gon take a while I fear Sad

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 05-02-2015

GUESS WHO BOTCHED A 3-STAR ARTISAN'S OFFHAND TONIGHT.

IT IS ME.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 05-04-2015

The use of damage meters in non-progression content. From what I hear they're not even fully supported or accurate yet from time to time I end up encountering that one player who uses them and insists on belittling everybody else in the group for 'not pulling their weight'. 

Ironic given that we were in Lost City of Amdapor and a mass pull failed because the guy using the meter 'accidentally' triggered a mimic which killed the healer. He then blamed me (since everybody has to blame the Dragoon, right?) but I just shrugged it off.

Thankfully we managed to complete the dungeon fairly quickly. I only had to kill two bosses since it was a group in progress...which makes me wonder what happened to make the original DPS before me leave after the first boss.

Oh well. I'm now one step closer to completing another atma book.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 05-04-2015

If he used a dps meter to actually harass you and state it then he is an absolute idiot for admitting to something that will get him a 3 day ish suspension of you report.

Also, I'm really sorry for the non t9 clear. I am not a good raid Bard and that was the first time I took my Bard into raid content that is not WoD.