Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 06-10-2015

Unfortunately, until everyone plays nice like that, the behavior will persist. No one wants to get screwed repeatedly out of something they want for glamour because people who don't need it for anything other than seals or desynthesis keep rolling Need on it.

What I've found works really well is to ask at the start of the instance if you need stuff. A simple "hey, all of the <class> gear here is an upgrade for me, would you mind if I have it if it drops?" goes a long way. I've never actually seen anyone turn that request down, and I run a lot of instances.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - cuideag - 06-10-2015

Dear WAR in KotL with 8K HP Buffed,

I didn't get to examine your gear until after we wiped twice and you had obviously swapped something because suddenly you had just shy of 10K. Thank you for that! It helped! But you know what else really helps when you are wanting to pull multiple groups and want to have an easier time holding threat and not dying?

Cooldowns. Please, use your cooldowns. They're not just for bosses!

Love,
cuideag

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Arter Wood - 06-10-2015

Off-topic posts to threads that are asking for RP, a guild, free company, whatever have at you. I've seen so many of these posts and it infuriates me - not only do those people ruin the point of the thread but they take it out of the OP's hands. Delete other people's posts in the thread? Yes pleeeease.

[Image: PXo94gy.gif]

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Rahal - 06-14-2015

I think I have finally managed to translate Party Finder Language.
  • "Clear Party" = "I don't know how to do this"
  • "Learning Party" = "I really don't know how to do this and don't want to admit it"
  • "Watch a video" = "I really have no fucking clue how to do this and expect you to watch a MrHappy video and explain it all to me"
  • "Looking for a Clear for a Friend = "7 People need the clear and we all don't know what we are doing"
  • "Farm Party" = "Everyone is going to leave after the first clear."
  • "Stay for more than one run" = "I'm going to leave as soon as I win the Pony"
  • iLv120 for a iLv95 Raid = "I want to be carried"
  • "X Strikes = Kick" = "I am going to kick you for my fuck ups"
  • "G>N" = "I am going to need and leave when the thing I want drops"
  • Steps of Faith Clear Party = "I have no friends"
  • "Carry Party" = "I have 7 people that want to be carried by you, an we are too cheap to pay a Merc Group to do it."
  • "3-3-2, Tank Marks" = "I don't know what I am saying and want to sound like I know what I'm doing"
  • "No Sol bonus" = "I'm too cheap to buy a carry"
  • "Extreme Farm Party" = "I still don't have the clear despite this being around since Last Year/1.0, and I'm too afraid to admit it"
  • "X Item Locked" = "I'm going to sit here in PF and refuse to take someone willing to help because they can roll on this item too"
  • "No Timewasters" = I'm going to waste your time and disband the party after 1 wipe."
  • "First time doing this" = "First time doing this."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 06-14-2015

(06-14-2015, 12:51 PM)Rahal Wrote: I think I have finally managed to translate Party Finder Language.
  • "Clear Party" = "I don't know how to do this"
  • "Learning Party" = "I really don't know how to do this and don't want to admit it"
  • "Watch a video" = "I really have no fucking clue how to do this and expect you to watch a MrHappy video and explain it all to me"
  • "Looking for a Clear for a Friend = "7 People need the clear and we all don't know what we are doing"
  • "Farm Party" = "Everyone is going to leave after the first clear."
  • "Stay for more than one run" = "I'm going to leave as soon as I win the Pony"
  • iLv120 for a iLv95 Raid = "I want to be carried"
  • "X Strikes = Kick" = "I am going to kick you for my fuck ups"
  • "G>N" = "I am going to need and leave when the thing I want drops"
  • Steps of Faith Clear Party = "I have no friends"
  • "Carry Party" = "I have 7 people that want to be carried by you, an we are too cheap to pay a Merc Group to do it."
  • "3-3-2, Tank Marks" = "I don't know what I am saying and want to sound like I know what I'm doing"
  • "No Sol bonus" = "I'm too cheap to buy a carry"
  • "Extreme Farm Party" = "I still don't have the clear despite this being around since Last Year/1.0, and I'm too afraid to admit it"
  • "X Item Locked" = "I'm going to sit here in PF and refuse to take someone willing to help because they can roll on this item too"
  • "No Timewasters" = I'm going to waste your time and disband the party after 1 wipe."
  • "First time doing this" = "First time doing this."
You forgot

"Know what you are doing" - im gonna join this because im sure everyone thats not me knows what to do and its a easy carry.

As if my sudden achievement poster at the end if I clear WONT alert everyone I got carried. Oh well its too late by then.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 06-15-2015

yup. i'd rather not do 'em than go through PF at this point.

server's PF is ass

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 06-15-2015

(06-15-2015, 07:38 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: yup. i'd rather not do 'em than go through PF at this point.

server's PF is ass

I feel like comments like this do the server a major disservice. There's plenty of excellent groups available through the party finder and I've successfully cleared most of the content I set out to do largely because of the existence of solid groups available through the party finder.

Is it hit and miss? Definitely! Yet I'm inclined to believe it's less a case of the party finder being useless and more a matter of some people giving up too easily or experiencing a handful of bad groups and then letting the bitterness arising from those experiences dictate how they see what is a very useful tool.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 06-24-2015

Rant.

Sure my problem's definitely attributed to my location and time.

But seriously queues...what in the flying fuck are you doing?

No, not queues to get into balmung I've come to terms with that.

What I mean is what fuck is up with all of these dungeon queues. I just cant seem to find dps to run haukke with. Yes, fucking haukke fucking normal fucking mode. 

Yes I know everyone wants to be a fucking bleeding edge dorge knight, hell im one of those fucks. But seriously? No one fresh enough to come in as a blm, drg, mnk, brd, smn or nin? No one remotely interested in mch at all? Maybe there are a lot who are/do but my timezome just doesnt fucking agree with it.

Honestly this ticks me off worse than the connection errors I have to balmung and even my shit internet in general.

Fuckadoodle doo

/endrant

Sorry, going on 3 hours sitting in queue with no luck is just frustrating. I mean did they swap Haukke manor for the frontlines or wolf's den while I wasnt looking?

I'll just step away from Tanking for a week or 2.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Hutarin - 06-24-2015

If you don't want to wait for people to watch a MSQ cutscene for a dungeon(especially when its apart of the expansion that just came out), then go run it with a full party instead of using duty finder then whining.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 06-24-2015

I don't whine usually in here. However, I must stress that it is important to be understanding when others point areas in which your play can improve. I feel this game is not truly difficult. There's no natural at it and no player who is innately less skilled due to something physical or mental. Even the best players can lose focus and become impatient, so emotions too aren't a barrier to becoming skilled if properly controlled. I think that the players who I've met who were deficient were without exception ones who didn't feel interested in even so much as entertaining the criticism of others. If a melee politely suggests you do not tank their targets in the middle of a nigh-instant death aoe pool, you should consider moving it, rather than sarcastically replying "I'm aware, thank you." The player who refuses to learn and demands more of the game than what they put into it is invariably the least skilled, that's all.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 06-24-2015

I came across something that annoys me yesterday when running one of the new dungeons in the push to get Gogonji to 60. It didn't happen to me, but instead to one of the DPS - a Ninja - who joined with the group.

You see, he was quick to mention that he was semi-new to the dungeon (understandable) and didn't know anything beyond the first boss (also understandable). The reason why he didn't know how to fight the second? Because he was kicked out of his last group for not knowing it. Rather than spend the half-second to explain the fight (which is stupidly easy to explain), that group's healer apparently decided to call him out and call him a moron for not knowing a fight in a dungeon that is less than a week old.

In what world is this crap okay? It's not like the EX Primal fights or Coil or something - it's one of the dungeons you gain access through going through the MSQ. You know, the thing everyone is doing right now. It's a learning experience for a majority of the player base right now, so why in the hell would someone get on someone else for not knowing the fight? Or, worse, votekick them from the group for it.

It gets even worse since, as I said, all it took was a half second to explain the fight. "Kill the adds, avoid the clouds, run glowing orbs into boss." That's it. That was my explanation of the fight for him, and he did perfectly fine. We got through the entire dungeon no problem (though healer gear continued to be scarce for me - hit 60 on that run, at least!), and moved merrily on our way afterward.

I mean... it didn't happen to me... but just the idea that there are jerkoffs that hold that level of elitist, arrogant nonsense with new content just seriously nettles me.

EDIT: And, on a more personal dungeon note - tanks, please stop moving OUT of the Sacred Soil I'm setting for you. There's a lot of adds and I'm trying to help mitigate the damage, and it does not work if you stand outside the blatantly obvious giant shell shield.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 06-24-2015

Not necessarily bashing DRK but tanks in general. 

Yeah im a tank, was a little rusty at it few weeks ago but still. Im also a ninja so sometimes i rely on other tanks. heres two things a tanks really supposed to do which is.

1. HOLD aggro (not spam the MP regen combo in Dark side without Grit)

2. USE YOUR DEFENSE BUFFS. Just because you got 10k health doesn't mean you can tank hits like you did pre 3.0. These mobs hubs significantly harder. Pop your fucking shadowskin or something don't just sit there spamming nothing but unleash and that AoE.

Fucking got me being more salty than the damn earth you on.

Like seriously tanking isn't /that/ hard if you read the fucking tool tips.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 06-24-2015

Awright, so, Ravana fight.

Show Content

but nah let's not explain mechanics and call people spoonfed.

Newsflash if you've ever read a strat on the internet YOU HAVE BEEN SPOONFED.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - LadyRochester - 06-24-2015

I was once tanking for this white age who used medica instead of cure.

... Yeah, that didn't go too well.

My worst experience has to be when I was farming Ramuh for the pony (for hours) and I was one of the last two without a pony. The other left pouted a me and said we'd farm one more, so I left before I got the pony so she'd get it, she did.

Did we farm for the last pony? Of course not. They all left. Needless to say, I have trust issues with "pony farms" since then.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Manari - 06-24-2015

This is something that's annoyed me since 2.0 was about 2 or 3 months old. I used to heal fairly often, but I quit because apparently I wasn't DPSing hard enough. I don't really give a damn about shaving 2 minutes off our dungeon clear time by spamming holy or Stone II or whatever they expect WHMs to be doing. Some of these PUG tanks are too squishy to be worrying about DPSing anyway. And you know what? That's fine, I actually welcome a healing challenge. That's what I'm doing on that job. Healing. Keeping those HP bars full and debuffs cleared.

Since I don't have Heavensward, I've been leveling an alt, and I'm leveling WHM with it. I was in Tam-Tara, one of the lowest level dungeons in the game, and after the first fight, one of the DPS was like "WHM dps plz" Which normally I do throw out aeros and a few stones because if your tank has any amount of level 15 gear you will do a lot of standing around waiting for his HP to go down anyway. But being ordered to DPS by the DPS just really made me sit there and boil for a while. I thought about leaving the dungeon, but I didn't.

And it made me more angry that even at this early level I see this trend. I'm sure it'll only get worse. That's why I switched to DPS in the first place. No one ever orders me to heal.