Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Shoshopu - 08-01-2015

I made the mistake of queuing as a healer for my high level roulette the other day and had to deal with probably the worst healing experience I'd ever had, in a Lost City of Amdapor.

Initially the tank pulled WAY too many enemies, like the first three pulls all at once, and our DPS were a ninja and a dragoon- not exactly the bastion of AoE DPS that could warrant such enormous pulls. They were also just barely geared enough to get in. The DPS both kept standing in all the AoEs, too.

Then when we got to Diabolos the tank suggested we burn the boss and ignore the mechanics. I was like ... what? He thought we could take "at least three" of Diabolos's big attack that you're supposed to avoid with the matching doors. I was like "We might, but I don't think the DPS can". He insisted he'd never done the boss with the mechanics and so they ignored the mechanics. Afterwards he was like "What went wrong" and I pointed out our DPS were mostly in whites and didn't even have level 50 weapons and he was like "oh I didn't even look" ???

I asked the tank if he'd just never run this dungeon with anything but 130+ people, since he said he'd never done this boss following the mechanics, and he was like "basically"

The previous time I ran a Lost City, weeks before- again, for the roulette- we had two people new to the dungeon and the tank just ran RIGHT INTO Diabolos without explaining the mechanics, or giving me time to. Didn't even do a ready check. We wiped and I gave him a piece of my mind.

I haven't queued as a healer for any of my roulettes since then. u_U; Something about Lost City... I love the dungeon itself but I always have a bad time in it if I'm not running it with friends.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 08-01-2015

(08-01-2015, 05:37 PM)Edda Wrote: Bismarck HM is the new Steps of Faith of Trials Roulette.

Just why. Fucking why.

Just.

Jesus Christ.

I've come to dread it when it ends up being my daily duty. I quite enjoy the fight itself - it's really cool - but if even one person screws up it's possible for everybody else to end up wiping.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Asmodean - 08-01-2015

All I want to know is why when I want to level Summoner on my main, I always get lag in Dungeons. I hate hitting Aetherflow only to not get my stacks for about three GCD. >.<

Why the hell is this always come back to being a problem. It feels like playing monk back in 2.1 where the lag never let you change stances those killing the whole point of the job. I hope it's just a one day problem but I really hate when duty finder lag happens.

Also like others have said... **** Bismarch HM. I don't mind the fight but for the love of god if you have no idea what you are meant to do just ask.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 08-02-2015

So, I log in, go into the only FATE party available, and CRASH ON SVARA.

I get your message game. Fuck you.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-02-2015

I see people saying Bismarck HM is a pain. . .

DONT EVEN TRY EX! Second phase snake adds can drop a 14k health bar in under 10 seconds if the healer isn't alert enough.

That fight stresses out all jobs, the tanks, the healers, the dps. ALL OF EM!

/SOBS

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 08-02-2015

Please, in Dzemael Darkhold, on the second boss, dodge the firewater circles. It's hard enough to keep the tank alive when he can't or won't dodge them, but if I have to keep both of the DPS alive when they opt not to dodge, someone's probably going to die.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 08-02-2015

(08-02-2015, 12:29 PM)Aaron Wrote: I see people saying Bismarck HM is a pain. . .

DONT EVEN TRY EX! Second phase snake adds can drop a 14k health bar in under 10 seconds if the healer isn't alert enough.

/SOBS
Yeah nah.

At least in Bismarck Ex you know you are getting people who are level 60, and who know they are supposed to perform on a consistently high level, especially with pugs (even if they sometimes don't).

Bismarck HM through trials roulette? Same problem with Steps of Faith pre-nerf. You'll get new people, impatient veterans, people who ignore mechanics, people who don't understand the mechanics, and DPS that may or may not average sub 200 dps. It's a veritable recipe for disaster, and - even though the fight is far easier than EX in theory - if you don't get extremely lucky and land in a decent group, you can expect to wipe. Probably more than once.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-02-2015

(08-02-2015, 02:23 PM)Edda Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 12:29 PM)Aaron Wrote: I see people saying Bismarck HM is a pain. . .

/SOBS
Yeah nah.

At least in Bismarck Ex you know you are getting people who are level 60, and who know they are supposed to perform on a consistently high level, especially with pugs (even if they sometimes don't).

Bismarck HM through trials roulette? Same problem with Steps of Faith pre-nerf. You'll get new people, impatient veterans, people who ignore mechanics, people who don't understand the mechanics, and DPS that may or may not average sub 200 dps. It's a veritable recipe for disaster, and - even though the fight is far easier than EX in theory - if you don't get extremely lucky and land in a decent group, you can expect to wipe. Probably more than once.
You get the same type of groups in Ex. Except in Ex it's worse because people are more likely to quit or point fingers and such cause unlike HM roulette there's no tome bonus at the end. So people have nothing to wait around for and wipe non stop.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 08-02-2015

(08-02-2015, 03:27 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 02:23 PM)Edda Wrote:

/SOBS
Yeah nah.

You get the same type of groups in Ex. Except in Ex it's worse because people are more likely to quit or point fingers and such cause unlike HM roulette there's no tome bonus at the end. So people have nothing to wait around for and wipe non stop.
I'd say both of you are right from my experiences. Bismarck is one of those shitty trials that people think they can go into and not pull their weight and then 'lo and behold get utterly amazed when things fall through. But it's never -their- fault, oh no. I did a run to help another FC once and had to quit due to exhaustion because we were simply not getting anywhere. I wish I had my parser on while it was happening, because I could swear their DPS was indeed sub 200. My own fault from the fight was that I was tired as well and since I was having a hard time healing with the other healer, it was just an all around stressful event and by the end my own abilities were slipshod at best.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 08-03-2015

My leveling roulette yesterday plopped my DRK into Brayflox NM.
Fun!

Except other than the "/say Hi" the BRD never said anything -and- they pulled more than once without my consent (even a boss). Not to mention, even through numerous times we posted, he would keep play Mage's Ballad. "you should only play Mage's Ballad if the healer is low" WHM: "I'm pretty good with MP consumption" "So you shouldn't play Mage's Ballad at all"

Nope, kept playing it. Also would stand aimlessly for long periods of time without a word.

Just slight annoyance really. Especially with a trigger happy blm.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 08-04-2015

'lol go watch a video'

So! This may be preaching to the choir but it's well worth noting that different people absorb information in different ways. Whilst some people can soak up information simply by watching a video on Youtube other people prefer to read a detailed summary written in a blog instead.

Then there's yet other people who learn best through actual first hand experience in-game. I'd like to think that I'm very good at adapting and learning from my mistakes - but I need first hand experience before I can reliably succeed at a task. Watching a video or reading a blog just doesn't work for me.

Sometimes it does - for the more simplistic content, that is - but for the more complex stuff out there? Nope!

I'm curious as to how many other people here are in a similar position.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 08-04-2015

Same - I'll want a cheat sheet just so I know what to expect coming in, but beyond that I'm good.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melodia - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 03:27 AM)Graeham Wrote: 'lol go watch a video'

So! This may be preaching to the choir but it's well worth noting that different people absorb information in different ways. Whilst some people can soak up information simply by watching a video on Youtube other people prefer to read a detailed summary written in a blog instead.

Then there's yet other people who learn best through actual first hand experience in-game. I'd like to think that I'm very good at adapting and learning from my mistakes - but I need first hand experience before I can reliably succeed at a task. Watching a video or reading a blog just doesn't work for me.

Sometimes it does - for the more simplistic content, that is - but for the more complex stuff out there? Nope!

I'm curious as to how many other people here are in a similar position.

This is me. I can watch every variety of video on an instance until I am blue in the face but the mechanics of the fights make zero sense to me until I actually am doing them. I remember for T7 in coil I watched both Mr. Happy and MTQCapture's videos over and over and over and all it sounded like to me was "blah blah blah, hide, blah blah blah, move quickly...." and that is how all videos sound to me. They teach me nothing no matter how many times I repeatedly watch. I need to experience the mechanics (OMG that's so insane right?! Like how we used to do in games before the interwebs took over) and actually learn.

Sadly, most players in this game have no patience for my style and thus, why the PF is as ridiculous as it is today. "Must have ilv 1 million gear, parsed DPS of 1800, and have cleared at least 2/3 of the fight. KNOW THE FIGHT OR GET SHAME-KICKED!"

And that is the super kewl way to play the game and surely how the SE developers intended. Thumbsup

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 08-04-2015

if they intended otherwise they would have put safeguards against this shit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 08-04-2015

Grind-crafting is such a losing policy right now and it irritates me since I'm a level and a half away from 60. Adamantite ore is 2k apiece, you need 5 for one nugget, along with a Darksteel Ore (1.2k-ish) and five Fire Crystals (100 each). The nugget is currently selling for 9k. So, in bulk, you're losing over around 2.5k gil per nugget you make, if someone doesn't undercut the market even more. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize you're losing about a quarter mil on a full stack - if every one succeeds. If it fails? Welp, you've burned away 12k gold on that failed nugget.

Wee.