Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Eses Fafa - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 07:26 PM)Korin Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 07:17 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote: Well..today, I've been through a few dungeons to level myself to 59 as a DRG. ALL of my tanks failed to hold threat on the mobs they've been focusing. I'm not using any abilities that generate threat, and I'm not THAT good, so why is it that I can't find a good tank?!

I'm starting to suspect some pugtanks have a mindset of "If I use defiance/grit/shield oath, I can spam my DPS combo" these days. It's terrifying...
First Vault, then Ravana..our main tank struggled to hold threat focus on a boss with no adds against a Dragoon!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Korin - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 07:36 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 07:26 PM)Korin Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 07:17 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote: Well..today, I've been through a few dungeons to level myself to 59 as a DRG. ALL of my tanks failed to hold threat on the mobs they've been focusing. I'm not using any abilities that generate threat, and I'm not THAT good, so why is it that I can't find a good tank?!

I'm starting to suspect some pugtanks have a mindset of "If I use defiance/grit/shield oath, I can spam my DPS combo" these days. It's terrifying...
First Vault, then Ravana..our main tank struggled to hold threat focus on a boss with no adds against a Dragoon!

Perhaps you're a better dragoon than you're giving yourself credit for, and the tanks just can't handle it no matter how hard they try!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 08-31-2015

if you're being out threated as a tank here's a few easy solutions

- Upgrade your weapon
- Let it happen, provoke, immediately use your ranged if out of range, threat combo if not.
- If that doesn't work insert flashes in-between
- If that doesn't work re-evaluate class choice

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - mongi291 - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 02:54 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: if you're being out threated as a tank here's a few easy solutions

- Upgrade your weapon
- Let it happen, provoke, immediately use your ranged if out of range, threat combo if not.
I'd add another point between 3 and 4.
- If that doesn't work, look at the party: if you have a Ninja, tell him to stop using Smoke Screen on you while you're pulling.
... It awfully happens a lot.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 03:41 AM)mongi291 Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 02:54 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: if you're being out threated as a tank here's a few easy solutions

- Upgrade your weapon
- If that doesn't work, look at the party: if you have a Ninja, tell him to stop using Smoke Screen on you while you're pulling.
Is smoke screen the one that is the Ninja aggro-dump? Shouldn't it actually put the threat on you?

I ask, because I actually had a Ninja tell me that they will happily pull more mobs than I wanted and just place aggro on me so I can't -actually just let them die.- I don't mind big pulls but pull something without asking me to is just rude. Let me know, ask, etc. Don't just do it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Leggerless - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 09:32 AM)Kage Wrote: Is smoke screen the one that is the Ninja aggro-dump? Shouldn't it actually put the threat on you?

I ask, because I actually had a Ninja tell me that they will happily pull more mobs than I wanted and just place aggro on me so I can't -actually just let them die.- I don't mind big pulls but pull something without asking me to is just rude. Let me know, ask, etc. Don't just do it.

You're thinking of Shadewalker, which transfers 80% of Ninja's generated aggro to the target.

Smoke Screen only reduces the amount of enmity a target regenerates. Proceed to insult the ninja if they throw SS on a tank unless mechanics dictate otherwise.

(08-31-2015, 10:02 AM)Leggerless Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 09:32 AM)Kage Wrote: Is smoke screen the one that is the Ninja aggro-dump? Shouldn't it actually put the threat on you?

You're thinking of Shadewalker, which transfers 80% of Ninja's generated aggro to the target.

Smoke Screen only reduces the amount of enmity a target regenerates. Proceed to insult the ninja if they throw SS on a tank unless mechanics dictate otherwise.
OMFG Why. D:

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 08-31-2015

The description on these are horrible. Sad

I can make this assessment because I've seen worse.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Little Yuna - 08-31-2015

Got bullied out of a DF run in Sohm Al yesterday, during the part where you're encountering the cryo dragon, I was dancing around the AoE because I was trying to reduce the stress on the healer, anything to reduce workload is accepted for me. However I accidentally ran in front of a Monk during their positionals, and he got smacked by two Flash Floods and a Granite Rain, and was basically murdered. Supposedly the rest of the people were his friends, and they called me a joke because I wasn't able to keep the AoE from hitting them. GM'd them after I was booted from the dungeon, I hope I never meet them again.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 09:32 AM)Kage Wrote:

- Upgrade your weapon
Is smoke screen the one that is the Ninja aggro-dump? Shouldn't it actually put the threat on you?

Lmfao I had a ninja try that with me.

I just kept turning the mobs to him when they did the marked attacks. I survived and he died anyway and I proceeded to type "lol my bad"

You must adapt to deal with the trolls Kage san.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 08-31-2015

I've been lucky enough not to come across such NINs in my Expert or Leveling Roulettes. Of course, it's as healer... but I haven't seen any I've gotten run off to pull or anything like that. Mostly just BRDs and DRGs doing that sort of thing.

Though, my personal pet peeve right now are tanks I Deployment Tactics Adlo and Eye for an Eye off of... and then they just stand around until either the buffs have dropped off or have, like, a second left. I've gotten to the point that I start hoping there's a ready check before bosses now so I can Deploy before I hit ready. Sad

(08-31-2015, 11:26 AM)Aaron Wrote:

- Upgrade your weapon

I just kept turning the mobs to him when they did the marked attacks. I survived and he died anyway and I proceeded to type "lol my bad"

I didn't really actually have it happen because the healer said "yeah it'd be cool to pull more."

So I did and the NIN never actually did anything.

Although, I have picked up aggro when someone auto-ran or a Monk shoulder tackles. Cause the healer ran in and I don't like healers dying Sad

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kou - 08-31-2015

(08-31-2015, 12:01 PM)Kage Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 11:26 AM)Aaron Wrote:

- Upgrade your weapon

I didn't really actually have it happen because the healer said "yeah it'd be cool to pull more."

So I did and the NIN never actually did anything.

Although, I have picked up aggro when someone auto-ran or a Monk shoulder tackles. Cause the healer ran in and I don't like healers dying Sad
Smokescreen is the NIN skill that reduces threat. Shadewalker is the one that dumps 80% of the NIN's threat to whoever they use it on (ideally, the tank). As a NIN, if my tank's having a hard time, I tend to just throw Shadewalker on them, spam what little AoE I have, and hope for the best.

Now. I've definitely used Smokescreen on a tank before (COMPLETE accident, was trying to get used to new skill positions), but Shadewalker should easily fix that... if they're smart. You just end up turning yourself into their threat generator until Smokescreen wears off (though I wouldn't recommend this kind of screw-up in EX or Alex (Savage).)

Uhhh, back on topic...

OTs that don't save their heals from laser beams of death in A4... Q___Q
y u do dis

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Glacirus - 09-01-2015

- Upgrade your weapon
I want to add another point, more specifically for low level dungeons:
-Turn off the god damn bot program and play the damn game yourself!

Seriously. I just had the worst run of Sastasha. Even pointed out the tank's bot behavior (no flash, straight-line movement, ignoring mobs we accidentally pulled and running in complete wrong direction) after the first boss, but they didn't want to kick the guy for whatever reason. So instead we suffered and I had to pugilist tank a good 80% of the mobs and every boss.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 09-01-2015

(09-01-2015, 02:04 AM)Glacirus Wrote:

- Upgrade your weapon
I want to add another point, more specifically for low level dungeons:
-Turn off the god damn bot program and play the damn game yourself!

Seriously. I just had the worst run of Sastasha. Even pointed out the tank's bot behavior (no flash, straight-line movement, ignoring mobs we accidentally pulled and running in complete wrong direction) after the first boss, but they didn't want to kick the guy for whatever reason. So instead we suffered and I had to pugilist tank a good 80% of the mobs and every boss.
They didn't want to kick him probably because it's Sastasha and odds of you getting a replacement tank is low.