Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 12-19-2014

Mmmm the fat from the meatloaf. And cheese. Yesss
[Image: w3jUOVq.jpg]

Also pie.
[Image: M4O6Mm6.jpg]

You said more hotpot?
[Image: 4kBg7lX.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 12-19-2014

(12-18-2014, 10:28 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I still find myself wanting to actually try making something for myself from time to time, but I have none of the tools and keep forgetting to ask folks what a "basic set" of cooking tools I should be getting if I want to try to start cooking for myself. Sauce pans? Skillets? Measuring spoons? Spices? WHAT DO!?
A premade pot set from Wal-mart will get you pretty far to start. You -can- go for the higher end sets if you feel the need, but I had a $30 set that did pretty well. A good cast-iron skillet is nice to have (read up on how to care/season/clean one) and works on the stovetop, in the oven, and on the grill/campfire. Lastly, I would suggest to eventually pick up an uncoated stainless-steel skillet, for cooking/searing anything at a high temp.

For cooking utensils, you want wood ones. They don't transfer heat (unless, y'know, you have a gas stove and leave them IN the flame but that's a slightly different problem), don't scratch the pots, and as long as you keep them clean they won't transfer/impart flavors. Bamboo is best, but the cheap ones at Wal-mart work too. Don't get the ones that are painted/varnished.

Measuring cups/spoons, get them for both wet and dry.

As for spices, the basics tend to be pepper, garlic (fresh and powder, not salt), basil, parsley, and oregano. The rest, you'll probably end up picking up eventually as well. 

Salt. While you may be tempted to buy the big, cheap canisters of, say, Morton's salt that will last you years, do yourself a favor and skip it... at least for cooking. As silly as it might sound, invest in the more expensive ones -- Fleur del sel, Celtic moist grey (my favorite), Himalayan pink, Hawaiian red, and flake. If you can't find these (though Himalayan pink is -really- popular right now and showing up even at Wal-marts), Kosher or regular sea salt will do. These more expensive salts, you can use up to half as less as you would with Morton's (or other iodized salts) to get the same flavor, and the varying trace minerals that give them their colours do impart a subtle flavor of their own. They're also healthier for you than the Morton's/iodized salts.

Also, a hammer that you can dedicate solely to kitchen use. Useful for cracking nuts/seeds/ice/sugar that's crystallized. And tenderizing meat.

Other things to have around:

Olive oil -- for both cooking and caring for cast iron skillets and other utensils that need to be oiled

Morton's/iodized salts -- for cleaning and deodorizing wooden utensils/cutting boards

Baking soda -- for cooking, cleaning, and deodorizing. Also works wonders as a scouring agent on pans that have no-stick surfaces that you don't want to scratch.

Lemon juice -- for cooking and cleaning. To sanitize microwave, mix 1 part lemon juice with 3 parts water, put in microwave safe dish, pop in microwave and heat on high until it fills microwave with steam. Shut off microwave, wait five minutes... wipe clean

Distilled white vinegar -- cooking and cleaning. Run it through a coffee maker every month to clean the system. Cleans stainless steel and glass without leaving streaks. Also good for treating minor burns, bug bites, and sunburns.

(12-19-2014, 01:02 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I dunno, maybe it was the brand of wine? Unfortunately, I forgot the sort of wine I had used when I made it, but I remember it was from Australia I believe.  I'll have to check the place I got that last bottle from and report back.

And if people are put off by drunken pasta then THAT'S THEIR FAILURE!  /shakefist
That's possible, however I'm fairly sure I've used different brands (and types) of red wine. Definitely let me know what you used, though! I have finicky eaters in my family (my brother-in-law actually threw a fit because I put cracker crumbles on top of baked macaroni and cheese, and was appalled that it wasn't icky orange cheese), so I'm always looking for ideas on how not to shock them.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 12-21-2014

I have nominated Franz to make me this chili recipe.
2 pounds ground beef chuck
ï‚· 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
ï‚· 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
ï‚· 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
ï‚· 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
ï‚· 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
ï‚· 1 large yellow onion, chopped
ï‚· 3 stalks celery, chopped
ï‚· 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
ï‚· 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
ï‚· 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
ï‚· 1 tablespoon bacon bits
ï‚· 4 cubes beef bouillon
 1/2 cup beer (I like Murphy’s Stout, Guinness works well too)
ï‚· 1/4 cup chili powder
ï‚· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
ï‚· 1 tablespoon minced garlic
ï‚· 1 tablespoon dried oregano
ï‚· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
ï‚· 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce ( I like to use Franks or Texas Pete)
ï‚· 1 teaspoon dried basil
ï‚· 1 teaspoon salt
ï‚· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
ï‚· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
ï‚· 1 teaspoon paprika
ï‚· 1 teaspoon white sugar
ï‚· 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos - optional
ï‚· 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-21-2014

(12-21-2014, 10:47 PM)Kage Wrote: I have nominated Franz to make me this chili recipe.
2 pounds ground beef chuck
ï‚· 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
ï‚· 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
ï‚· 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
ï‚· 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
ï‚· 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
ï‚· 1 large yellow onion, chopped
ï‚· 3 stalks celery, chopped
ï‚· 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
ï‚· 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
ï‚· 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
ï‚· 1 tablespoon bacon bits
ï‚· 4 cubes beef bouillon
 1/2 cup beer (I like Murphy’s Stout, Guinness works well too)
ï‚· 1/4 cup chili powder
ï‚· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
ï‚· 1 tablespoon minced garlic
ï‚· 1 tablespoon dried oregano
ï‚· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
ï‚· 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce ( I like to use Franks or Texas Pete)
ï‚· 1 teaspoon dried basil
ï‚· 1 teaspoon salt
ï‚· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
ï‚· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
ï‚· 1 teaspoon paprika
ï‚· 1 teaspoon white sugar
ï‚· 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos - optional
ï‚· 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese

Challenge accepted. Eventually

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 12-21-2014

The cheese may or may not be optional. Get it though.

I've been told that this chili recipe will ruin chili for me forever.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 12-22-2014

TODAY I BRING TO YOU.

THE CHILE RELLENO.
[Image: 29565_chile_rellenos_620.jpg]

I sorta think I have the whole "crumble the queso fresco, stuff pepper, toothpick to close" egg fry thing going but..

WHAT IS THIS SAUCE. THIS BEAUTIFUL SAUCE THAT PEOPLE PUT ON TOP T_T

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - TheLastCandle - 12-22-2014

Is your body ready for this? Mine was.

[Image: 3.jpg]

Not my picture, but.. Carne asada fries. Fresh, homemade guacamole. Charcoal-grilled skirt steak. Jalapenos. Queso blanco. S'more damn jalapenos because I order extra. Sea-salted french fries. A dollop of sour cream. Boom! Now excuse me while I go for a run and not eat another thing for the rest of the day.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 12-22-2014

My only problem with the carne asada fries that I am exposed to in my area of Southern California is the fact that the fries aren't my favorite.

I fucking love steak fries. Or steak fries like fries. I don't like thin crispy ones. DRY AS HELL FRIES

[Image: l.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - TheLastCandle - 12-22-2014

WHAT IS THE ABOVE MADNESS?! I want that inside me.

We have a place called The Hat.

The deliciousness you see there is their chili cheese fries with pastrami.

They'd also add tomatoes and pickles too for another fee.

[Image: 020809hat.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 12-22-2014

I cut my own fries all the time, from steak fries to fast food fries to "chips" for fish and chips...I can't handle them any other way.

With that in mind...THE CARNE ASADA FRIES MUST GET INTO MY BODY.

I don't think I've ever wanted such a naughty meat inside of me since I saw the male Au Ra. :3

/shot by every arrow ever

I don't make home made fries very well.

In other news...

Anyone know a Chile con queso steak recipe?

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Tiergan - 12-22-2014

(12-18-2014, 09:30 PM)Nalin Wrote: Clicking on this thread while hungry was a horrible mistake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Gegenji - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 03:25 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 09:30 PM)Nalin Wrote: Clicking on this thread while hungry was a horrible mistake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've basically made it a point to ignore this thread until after lunchtime, then I can just be upset that I didn't have something quite as delicious-looking rather than drool hungrily over my keyboard.

T_T...

Crying Tiger.
[Image: d3OPG2F.jpg]