Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - PkThunda - 12-29-2014

Odile's home made chicken soup- Cheap to buy and long lasting!

1 whole stewing or frying chicken (cheaper than you think!)
2 potatoes
2 small turnips
3 carrots
1 leek
2 stalks celery
Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Garlic
Ginger
1 large Bayleaf
1 1/2 tbsp butter or margerine
Salt
Pepper
Optional: Mushrooms, tofu, pinch of saffron

Take that whole chicken and a knife.
Loosen up where the thighs and shoulders meet- but don't cut them off completely! You want it loose but not separated.

Next, take a big stock pot and fill it about 1/3 or 1/2 the way up with water.

Add your herbs and spices and a ton of salt- make it all to taste.
This includes your ginger and garlic. Mince both into pieces as small as you can.
If you don't have either, but have the "garlic salt"/"Ginger powder" stuff, that will work!
I just dump stuff in, so go with what you feel is right.
Set that to low just to heat the water up, and then shove the chicken in there.

Let this cook for about 30-60 minutes on low-medium heat.
Our stove runs hot, so go with a light rolling boil that won't expand over the pot top.

After your chicken is cooked completely, take it out!
Put that chicken in a bowl or container and put it in the fridge.
Trust me on this.

Cut up all your veggies.
I like mine to be a bit smaller than bite sized, but go with what you like!
Cut them all up, rinse them off in cool water, and then put them in the broth.

Let them cook for about 20-30 minutes.

In that time, check your chicken. Is it cool enough to handle? Good!
Put that sucker on your cutting board and start mauling it.
Tear it to shreds. Literally.
Put all the torn meat into a bowl.
Take the cooked skin and mince that up and add it to your bowl.
Take those bones and put them in a baggie and save them! They're still really good for soup stock! Much better- and cheaper -than the store bought stuff.

So you have a bunch of shredded meat and minced skin.
Dump that into your soup.
Add your tofu if you have some- chop that as you see fit.

Let it all boil for another 10 minutes, and done!
You have a delicious chicken soup perfect on its own or with noodles.

If you're like me and prefer to save leftovers, get some big freezer bags and pour your leftover soup in it.
Freeze.
It will be ready to re-heat when ever you need it- though, if you have added tofu, it will have a slightly different texture due to the freezing process.

Serves about 6-8 bowls worth of soup without noodles added.

Enjoy!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 12-29-2014

Could someone give me a quart amount or gallon amount for when they say "big/large" stock pot? > >

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 07:56 PM)Kage Wrote: Could someone give me a quart amount or gallon amount for when they say "big/large" stock pot? > >

If we think serves 6-8, I'd imagine something like a 2 gallon pot? Bigger than the one I make curry in, Kage.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-03-2015

Remembered I didn't bomb the thread with New Year's food. 
Aside from alcohol, we cooked way too much.

note: these picures are massive and only cellphone-quality. You've been warned.

[Image: V0xVgsx.jpg]

Fresh potstickers, beef stew and mashed potatoes featured above.

[Image: w9dGMtA.jpg]

Some slow-cooked pork that was great with BBQ.

[Image: xcKwJkn.jpg]

Fancy mac-and-cheese

[Image: fFSLIyp.jpg]

Baked version. (Because some people like to have a crunchy cheese layer on top)

...and due to request, I'll be adding another picture of a Sacher Torte later.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 01-04-2015

This is one of my all-time favorite go-to dishes when I wish to feed an army and would like to have something different. It's a Filipino dish a friend of mine shared with me. Measurements for spices and soy sauce are approximate, since I tend to eyeball seasonings or go by taste. I'll post a picture later as I'm at work right now, but...

Pancit
recipe follows

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. pork tenderloin, cut into 1 in. cubes
1 lb. chicken, cut into 1 in. cubes (I prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs)
1 lb. medium shrimp, cleaned and shelled
1 small cabbage, shredded
approx. 2 cups carrot, shredded or cut into matchsticks
1 bunch scallions, chopped
approx. 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or to taste, or half soy half fish sauce
approx. 1 tsp. salt
approx. 1 tbsp. pepper
approx. 1 tbsp. garlic powder
approx. 1 tbsp. ginger
1 lb. package mi fun noodles (commonly found in stores as "rice vermicelli")
light cooking oil

Get a pot of water to boil and salt liberally.

In a very large skillet or large wok, coat bottom of cooking vessel and heat to medium. Add pork and chicken, season with salt and pepper and sauté until just changing color on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Add cabbage, scallions, carrot and soy sauce. Fold repeatedly with meat, making sure oil and juices from cooking coat the vegetables. Continue stirring and folding until cabbage wilts down, approx. 8-10 minutes. Season mixture with garlic powder and ginger, perhaps adding more pepper to taste.

While vegetables are cooking, drop mi fun noodles into boiling water, stirring with a pasta fork and let boil until just translucent and soft, about 3 minutes--these noodles cook very quickly. Drain noodles

Add shrimp and noodles to your skillet and toss together, coating noodles in soy sauce and cooking the shrimp until pink, approx. 5 minutes. Your noodles will very likely stick together, so use your stirring spoon and your pasta fork to spread the noodles apart and toss the mixture together, tangling it all together with the mi fun. Noodles will turn brown as they drink up the soy sauce.

Let sit for about 3 minutes and serve.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Martiallais - 01-04-2015

As someone trying to (slowly but surely) graduate from 'bachelor' level cooking skill first I want to say thanks for this thread!

But if possible, could people include the recipes/instructions so nooblets like me can attempt these too? >_> #muchappreciated

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-05-2015

Lunch or dinner for two!

[Image: YS5UmbZ.jpg]
In this is baby corn, shiitake mushrooms, straw mushrooms, noodles, soy sauce and thinly sliced beef (for hot pot/shabu shabu or grilling)

The noodles featured here are bean thread noodles. Soaked in hot water while draining the baby corn, mushrooms and cleaning/prepping the shiitake mushrooms.

Heat a sautee pan and when getting hot add a little EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). Added the drained noodles, soy sauce, and veggies. The sauce will reduce a bit. Remove the noodles from the pan, add a little more soy sauce (can add some water if it tastes too salty), and the beef. Once the beef is cooked, top the noodles plate!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Parvacake - 01-05-2015

29 Foods that will Sexually Awaken You. Enjoy! <3

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-08-2015

Does anyone have fideos or good clams recipes that you have personally used or have made?

I've always been interested in fideos since I watched Top Chef Season 2 but coming from "not really having had foods other than Chinese foods and Mexican fast food or olive garden" until college menat I've never been exposed to fideos.

Also, I fucking love clams so throw them at me.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - TheLastCandle - 01-08-2015

I want this inside me.
[Image: chorizo-burger091.jpg]

Gonna try my hand at making this one day over the weekend, minus the sweet potato buns; I traditionally have disastrous results when trying to make my own bread from scratch.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-08-2015

Say you order by the pound. And you love clams.

would you want all clams, clams+crawfish, clams+shrimp or clams+shrimp+crawfish

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:25 PM)Kage Wrote: Say you order by the pound. And you love clams.

would you want all clams, clams+crawfish, clams+shrimp or clams+shrimp+crawfish

Sounds like someone is going to Boiling Crab. Crayfish aren't worth the price per flesh. Split with shrimp.

I don't know what you're talking about. >.>

I may or may not be thinking of a clam bake either.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - MikoBehnen - 01-08-2015

Dinner tonight!

[Image: IMG_9652.jpg]

Recipe Here!

I've made it before and not only is it super yummy but since it's only one pot it's really easy to clean up after! Big Grin

Nice.

For people like myself, who have dry mouths and really prefer lots of sauce, is this a little dry?