Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - DreamedReality - 01-15-2015

*kidnaps Gray to be personal chef*

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 01-15-2015

Hey guys.

Sooo... as much as I like to cook I have to admit that after three years living the way I have,  I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to make on a daily basis. Before I go and ask for suggestions, though, I feel as if I should share some pictures of the place I both live and work in, and spend on average twenty-two hours a day -- that way, y'all can decide if anything you might suggest would even work.

This is my stove... sorta. Really, all I have to work with is a pull-out desk where I can put a rice cooker. Tried using an electric burner, but they get too hot and pull too much power. The cupboard above is actually twice the height you can see in the picture, and it houses all my dry goods and the paper plates/bowls/cups/utensils. Turn 45 degrees, and... this is all I have for a prep area. Yeah, that's my bed. There's actually a second bunk, but we use that for clothes and big-items storage. Turn another 45 degrees, and here is my fridge. Pretty much one of those 'dorm' fridges that you can't stand a 16oz bottle of soda in without removing the shelf and therefore losing more space, and the freezer only fits one bag of frozen veggies. And that microwave isn't there anymore -- first time we used it, it proved to be too much of a power drain. Spin another 45 degrees, and we have this space, which beyond being a place to stick the husband and dog, I cannot utilize.

Yes, that was just the entirety of my home. It's an 8x8 space.

So, as you can imagine, I've been fairly challenged when it comes to cooking for a few years now. Things were actually going good up until a little over a year ago; my husband went on a high-protein, low carb/sugar diet, and I'm developing sensitivities to various preservatives. Even that was fine for a while, but we're both getting sorely sick of rice/couscous/quinoa with whatever soups we can both eat and omlettes/egg scrambles. We'd do pasta (the rice cooker gets up to boiling temps), but with my husband's diet that's pretty much a no-no. Fresher food would be nice, but between loads and various restrictions we can only really get into a Super Wal-Mart once every two to three weeks to stock up on food, and my fridge and freezer aren't big enough for me to keep things like fresh meat in for more than a couple days before they HAVE to be cooked or tossed.

Soooo... any one-pot wonder recipes out there that can be adapted to a rice cooker like this, is mindful of the limited space I have to work with and with the dietary restrictions, can be cooked in an hour or under (we ruined one rice cooker by trying to cook while rolling, but just the movement of the truck caused some of the contents to slosh out of the pot and onto the burner and shorted the whole thing out), and takes into consideration that we can't shop every couple days?

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-16-2015

(01-15-2015, 10:43 PM)Mae Wrote: Kitchen woes

Hmm... This does make things a bit complicated.

You could probably adapt a few stove recipes to use the rice cooker like a crock pot.

So things like stews, curries, and chili could help make things a little more interesting. Luckily, most of these use dry ingredients that can be stored for a longer about of time, but meat availability is what adds a decent portion of the meal. (Although you can get away with frozen meat that is defrosted before use since the spices should take care of the flavor).

If you've got a couple spare mixing bowls, you could maybe get away with mashed potatoes as a starch when you need it, since your average russet potato can last a pretty long time. Given the fridge size, dairy is probably not much of an option, although things like butter and heavy cream should last a while and can be bought in varying sizes when needed.

I would prolly stock up on stuff like condensed broths for stews, canned vegetables where applicable, and on things like onions, garlic and squash for vegetables, since those keep in storage well. Maybe a few bags of dried beans that can be softened up before use. (Some can take a good 24 hours though, but sealed tupperware works well).

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Gegenji - 01-16-2015

I almost forgot there was a food thread!

Anyway! I just got myself one of those starter cooking sets with pans with clear lids and various utensils and stuff, and I want to try breaking them in on this long weekend. I plan to stop at the grocery store this afternoon and pick up my usual stuff (in case I fail dramatically, so I have options beyond "unrecognizable charred mess") along with what might be my first home-cooked meal I've done myself!

I just... don't know what to make. I want something simple to cut my teeth on (both figuratively and literally, I suppose). I did a quick Google search and found a brisket that sounds interesting... but I figured I'd tap you cookin' folkses for more ideas!

So um... suggestions? Blush

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Telluride - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 12:30 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I almost forgot there was a food thread!

Anyway! I just got myself one of those starter cooking sets with pans with clear lids and various utensils and stuff, and I want to try breaking them in on this long weekend. I plan to stop at the grocery store this afternoon and pick up my usual stuff (in case I fail dramatically, so I have options beyond "unrecognizable charred mess") along with what might be my first home-cooked meal I've done myself!

I just... don't know what to make. I want something simple to cut my teeth on (both figuratively and literally, I suppose). I did a quick Google search and found a brisket that sounds interesting... but I figured I'd tap you cookin' folkses for more ideas!

If you're just testing out your new cookware, it doesn't get simpler than my favorite homemade Chili, and all you need is your biggest pan and a stirring spoon once everything is opened.

Brown and drain 1-2 pounds of ground beef (ground turkey works, too, if you are health-conscious), add in one packet of chili powder for every pound of meat ( I use McCormick or store brands ), add in one 12oz can of tomatoes (Chili-ready diced make it easy, but I sometimes will add whole canned tomatoes and break them up in the stirring process) and one 12oz can of beans (Red Chili/kidney beans, usually, but I also really like black beans in my chili) for each pound of meat, and just stir it all up until it's blended and thoroughly heated.

This will give you a much thicker chili than most recipes, since it relies upon the water in the tomatoes to give it viscosity. However, a little bit of water can be added if you prefer thinner chili - no more than a half-cup per pound of meat, though, or it will get too runny. I will add a few dashes of Tobasco if I want hotter, or even a few spoonfuls of BBQ sauce for a little extra richness. When I make a batch for myself, I use 2lbs of beef, two cans of the Chili-ready diced tomatoes, and 2 cans of black beans. I have a bowl for dinner, and put the rest in a container for a couple of days' worth of lunches at work. The thickness of it is also really ideal for making Chili Nachos, since you can simply spoon it over the chips and cheese, and it will stay politely in place.

Ok, yes, this isn't Alton Brown... but he did say simple, and this is really hard to mess up. Even if you start to overcook it, adding a little water and stirring will fix that.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-16-2015

What food do you like and can you take a picture of the set? We'll find something that suits your tastes. Smile

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Gegenji - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 12:45 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: What food do you like and can you take a picture of the set? We'll find something that suits your tastes. Smile

I'm at work, so I don't have ready access to it, but it was something I found at the local Target. Looks something like this?

[Image: th?id=HN.608022543245184292&pid=15.1&P=0]

Bunch of pots and pans with clear glass lids. Plus spatulas and the like. Cost a mere $60-70 since I wasn't going to try going whole hog right out the gate. Wanted to avoid running into a "OH GOD TOO MANY POTS WHAT DO?" sort of situation.

As for preferences, I'm not horribly picky. Time in the military beat that out of me. I do like my pastas and my meats, though, and I do need to ask my folks about how my mother makes her tuna casserole, as that seems like it'd be a nice simple mainstay to pick up.

(01-16-2015, 12:53 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 12:45 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: What food do you like and can you take a picture of the set? We'll find something that suits your tastes. Smile

I'm at work, so I don't have ready access to it, but it was something I found at the local Target. Looks something like this?

[Image: th?id=HN.608022543245184292&pid=15.1&P=0]

Bunch of pots and pans with clear glass lids. Plus spatulas and the like. Cost a mere $60-70 since I wasn't going to try going whole hog right out the gate. Wanted to avoid running into a "OH GOD TOO MANY POTS WHAT DO?" sort of situation.

As for preferences, I'm not horribly picky. Time in the military beat that out of me. I do like my pastas and my meats, though, and I do need to ask my folks about how my mother makes her tuna casserole, as that seems like it'd be a nice simple mainstay to pick up.

OK. ...I think I know exactly which set you have. (Because I got it too).

The chili recipe above would be a good starter. 

If you're looking for another good one to test out, this one looks daunting, but is actually pretty easy. (And has lots of pictures)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/01/sunday-night-stew/

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - DreamedReality - 01-16-2015

Soups, chilis and stews are always good to try out first. But if you wanna give those frying pans a go then try following the directions you find on the flavor packets you find at the grocery store. That's how I started out. The Asian sections will usually have things like general tso's chicken and/or mongolian beef flavor packets. The Mexican section has fahita/taco flavor mixes, etc.

They're usually quite simple. Olive oil, a meat and one or two varieties of vegetable. But they are also very flexible so you can easily experiment with type and variety of veggie you add/use.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-16-2015

Simple things you can do with the sautee pans.

Cook steaks.

Cook green beans.

For steaks you can have a variety of things to season. Salt and pepper. Montreal steak seasoning. Worcertshire sauce. Etc.

Green beans is easier. Pinch of the ends of the green beans. Rinse/wash etc. Pat them dry ish. Melt butter. Add chopped garlic. cook them a bit. Add grean beans!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - MikoBehnen - 01-16-2015

So I made this for dinner last night and it was super nummy and easy to make... kinda of a throw it all together and time it type deal. I used celery instead of carrots ('cause I had eaten all those forgetting I'd need them) and it was still really good. 
AND it was really only one pot and a cutting board (๑◕ฺ‿ฺ◕ฺ๑) which is nice 'cause I hate doing dishes

So! I have returned home from the grocery store with my normal purchases plus some stuff to start my home cooking!

I got the stuff for the chili, the stuff for a brisket I found online (Mix dry onion soup mix, ketchup, and water together, pour on brisket, wrap in aluminum foil and cook! Sounds simple enough!), and some basic vegetables like potatoes, green beans and carrots.

So, um... hopefully this weekend I'll be making some tasty, tasty home cooking!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'll give you a field report once I give it all a shot.

EDIT: Oh jeez, didn't even see the noodle stir fry, that might be nice to try later too!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 12:20 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
Many suggestions
Yeah, keeping meat is a huge problem. The freezer is really only big enough for a single bag of frozen vegetables, and I have to poke a hole in it first to let out trapped air. I -might- be able to get one or two chicken breasts into it. Sometimes I'll grab a plain steak or chicken sandwich from Subway, just for the meat to use. It's expensive, though >_<

Milk and cheese isn't usually too hard to get ahold of, most truck stops stock some variety of both. I keep butter on the truck, as well as sour cream... I can't eat mayo, so I use sour cream as a substitute on sandwiches that are just too dry. 

Stew didn't work last time I tried it (too long to cook)... any suggestions for curries? I only made curry once and that was a very long time ago, and while I remember it being complicated I have the feeling it might've been due to inexperience.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-16-2015

Does anyone here have good recipes for "mexican" rice?

I think my old high school friend's (super tastype recipe) involved using chicken broth and tomato paste.

(01-16-2015, 09:08 PM)Mae Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 12:20 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
Many suggestions
Yeah, keeping meat is a huge problem. The freezer is really only big enough for a single bag of frozen vegetables, and I have to poke a hole in it first to let out trapped air. I -might- be able to get one or two chicken breasts into it. Sometimes I'll grab a plain steak or chicken sandwich from Subway, just for the meat to use. It's expensive, though >_<

Milk and cheese isn't usually too hard to get ahold of, most truck stops stock some variety of both. I keep butter on the truck, as well as sour cream... I can't eat mayo, so I use sour cream as a substitute on sandwiches that are just too dry. 

Stew didn't work last time I tried it (too long to cook)... any suggestions for curries? I only made curry once and that was a very long time ago, and while I remember it being complicated I have the feeling it might've been due to inexperience.

Go for a pre-made curry like this: 
[Image: 01256-sb-golden-curry-medium-hot-3-5-lg.jpg]

While the instructions say to precook the meat and veggies, if your rice cooker's able to get to boiling point, you might be ok with cutting everything into sizes that can just be boiled to your ideal softness. You generally only add just enough water to cook/cover the vegetables/meat, and then add blocks of the curry base until desired thickness.

@Kage, try this one?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-rice-ii/