Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-16-2015

I would like recipes people ( from here) have tried

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 01-16-2015

My only two exposures to mexican rice were:

1) A "meal starter" packet where you toss raw chicken, rice, seasonings, and water into an oven bag and bake

and 

2) A mix similar to the one you already mentioned... chicken broth, tomato sauce, and a packet of... taco seasoning, I think?

I wasn't a fan of either, but my brother and step-sisters loved both.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Gegenji - 01-17-2015

(01-16-2015, 07:03 PM)Gegenji Wrote: So! I have returned home from the grocery store with my normal purchases plus some stuff to start my home cooking!

I got the stuff for the chili, the stuff for a brisket I found online (Mix dry onion soup mix, ketchup, and water together, pour on brisket, wrap in aluminum foil and cook! Sounds simple enough!), and some basic vegetables like potatoes, green beans and carrots.

So, um... hopefully this weekend I'll be making some tasty, tasty home cooking!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'll give you a field report once I give it all a shot.

EDIT: Oh jeez, didn't even see the noodle stir fry, that might be nice to try later too!

Chili's cooking! Well... simmering for the 10 minutes it recommends, anyway.

I actually ended up just going with half of what was recommended in the thread, sticking instead to what was listed on the back of the chili packet - just in case I messed up and needed to have a second go. Turns out it was probably for the best since my skillet wouldn't have been able to hold 2lbs of meat plus all those beans and tomatoes!

I took cooking classes back in middle school... and the smell of cooking something myself is surprisingly nostalgic.

POST-EATING EDIT:
ogod sogud.

Seriously, though. I went with some garlic diced tomatoes since I love me some garlic. I was worried that doing so might mess up the taste some but it's delightful. I read somewhere that this kind of chili goes good with tortilla chips and I have a half-finished bag of them, so I may try them together with the rest of the chili later.

Tomorrow, I may try making the brisket.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Recoil - 01-17-2015

I tried making noodles from scratch for the first time.

I also made a nice, creamy Italian mushroom sauce. 

The sauce was great.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 06:52 PM)Fuzz Wrote: I tried making noodles from scratch for the first time.

The sauce was great.

pasta from scratch can be nightmarish. I commend the efforts without even knowing the result.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - MikoBehnen - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 11:26 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 06:52 PM)Fuzz Wrote: I tried making noodles from scratch for the first time.

The sauce was great.

pasta from scratch can be nightmarish. I commend the efforts without even knowing the result.

I've only tried that once and I ended up just eating the dough 'cause I'm awful LoL

Super thumbs up for the making of things!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 01-17-2015

I adore making my own pasta. I still have to find a good noodle press, but for the time being I have a sheeter attachment for my stand mixer that helps me make all sorts of ravioli or farfalle, or I cut my sheets into my own broad noodles.

I found it surprisingly simple to make as well! At least as far as ingredients go. It can be a bit time-consuming, but the taste of homemade pasta beats any box you can find.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 01-17-2015

What type of pasta was it?

I never had luck making the "Italian-style" homemade pasta, but my butter noodles (somewhere between an egg noodle and a slicker dumpling) have always been successful. Unfortunately... I'm the only one in my family that likes the texture of butter noodles and slicker dumplings <_<

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - MikoBehnen - 01-18-2015

*whispers* Guys! I just found these and they're so cute and I know this thread is mostly cooking not baking but loooooook!

That is all... back to pasta

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Gegenji - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 12:07 AM)MikoBehnen Wrote: *whispers* Guys! I just found these and they're so cute and I know this thread is mostly cooking not baking but loooooook!

I would make Chocobolate Chip Cookies in a heartbeat. Just saying.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 01-18-2015

It can totally be about baking. I'm about to make it into baking.

Behold:
[Image: cheesecake_1140.jpg?1369063070]

For those who have lived under damper, mossier rocks than the ones I grew up under, this glorious confection is the cheesecake. Even in it's most basic and unassuming form (as pictured), it is edible heaven. I have heard tales of intergalactic warlords that became peaceful because they sampled a small slice on a world they were about to crush, and beings of light and love become avatars of nightmare because a cheesecake was threatened.

Truly, many wars could have been adverted if countries would just send each other cheesecakes -- only the most black-hearted of the lactose intolerant would reject such a offering.

Do not let the moniker of 'cake' fool you. This divine creation is actually a custard, the sibling of the flan and distant-cousin to pudding. It can be made with or without crusts, and crusts can range from crushed pretzels to crushed graham crackers, a giant cookie, every sort of pie crust, and even thin cake. The Devout of Chocolate can stand shoulder to shoulder with the Followers of Fruit, Worshipers of Candy, Faithful of Liquor, and even the Church of Bacon in the presence of cheesecake, for cheesecake welcomes all. It will even attempt to appease and conform to vegans, so that even vegans may know it's love.

As complex as cheesecake may seem, it is surprisingly simple to make. This recipe reveals the truth of cheesecake, and I have personally witnessed this truth.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 01-18-2015

Cheesecakes are a thing that still somewhat slightly elude me. At least, in terms of flawless presentation. I have a spring form pan set that makes lovely little cheesecake to a twelve inch mesa of magnificence.

The problem is cracking.

I made this just...absolutely smooth and wonderful dark chocolate swirl cheesecake. Flawlessly marbled. Utterly melt in your mouth....and cracked like a goddamn New York City street. ><

I will conquer the foe of splintered and cracked cheesecake until I can post a picture of a masterpiece with the #nofilter hashtag!! I SWEAR IT!!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 01-18-2015

Have you tried using a water bath while baking?

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - MikoBehnen - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 12:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-18-2015, 12:07 AM)MikoBehnen Wrote: *whispers* Guys! I just found these and they're so cute and I know this thread is mostly cooking not baking but loooooook!

I would make Chocobolate Chip Cookies in a heartbeat. Just saying.
                           ^^^ This? This is why I love you ^_^

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 11:30 AM)Mae Wrote: Have you tried using a water bath while baking?

I did use a water bath...but I dunno if I used enough of a water bath, or if the foil lining the pan had some effect on the water bath. :<