Hydaelyn Role-Players
For whom do you fight? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: For whom do you fight? (/showthread.php?tid=9411)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: For whom do you fight? - Aaron - 12-25-2014

Aaron fights for himself. 

If he has to protect someone else then they probably deserve to die. He'll only serve under someone or similar to delegate the responsibility of protecting others to the leader.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Savarah - 12-25-2014

Sav absolutely fights for her friends. I mean, she'd definitely love to showcase her prowess in a fight for Eorzea, but she knows deep down that she's not a one man army.

Her sister actually posed the question a while back: if she could only save one, would it be her tribe, or Eorzea? Sav brushed off the question, saying it would never come down to that and she doesn't deal in hypotheticals, but it's something that's stayed with her.

So, ultimately, tribe wins. There's a lot of people looking out for Eorzea, but she feels obligated to protect her friends and family.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Jana - 12-25-2014

To some extent, Jana fights for all three. But her overall goal of revenge is very self-serving.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Faye - 12-25-2014

Faye fights for herself! Fortunately, herself also has an interest in helping both her friends and Eorzea, especially the former. (She'd totes screw over Eorzea for the right people.)

RE: For whom do you fight? - DoomsdayClock - 12-25-2014

I think realistically the only answer I can give for this question is for himself.
I think through a lot of story lines that have gone on, Iron has put on the hat with the big hero label on it, but he always insists he is not such, and at his core that's probably true.
Anyone who has sparred him or been in an actual betting match against him would know the reality of how and why Iron fights.
Iron fights because he LIKES to fight. He enjoys combat, and in the end he probably on some level gets a rush out of actually winning, even if he regrets the harm he inflicts.
Iron fights because he feels he has no place in the world. He throws himself into conflicts to gain validation, to keep his mind busy and get away from the reality that lingers.
So I suppose Iron may do good things, may throw his life on the line for the sake of friends, and "good", but in the end he truly fights because he enjoys it.
He fights because if he doesn't, he begins to feel more and more like he has no purpose, no place in the chain of events.
Not to say Iron is a bad person, far from it...but to glorify him with any other answer would be an injustice to the core of who and what he is.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Dasair - 12-25-2014

... This is super weird for Xavarian, especially right now.

His family would expect that it would be for them.  And it might end up being for them.  But it also might end up being for himself.  He's right on a teetering brink between the family loyalty that was hammered into him despite them keeping him in solitude, and his newfound freedom, and all he's finding that was potentially kept from him.  He doesn't actually find value much in his own person, but instead in what he's after.  Anything purposely standing in the way of what he's after is a problem, but if his family goes about achieving it better than he does, then they deserve to be around more than him.  In his mind, anyway.

Due to that, with actual people, it is honestly a tossup and can go either way.  Insofar as friends, though, he has no one that close to him yet, and certainly not close enough for him to sacrifice himself over.

All that said, Xavarian would sacrifice all of them and himself for Knowledge, hands down.  So that could end up any number of ways.  If he had some knowledge he felt needed preserving, or a strong will to gain a certain sort of knowledge, then he'd fight for himself.  If someone else had knowledge he felt needed preserving, he'd give himself up to keep it intact.  If there were some societal group that held untold amounts of knowledge he felt needed preserving, he'd fight for that.  If more than one of them had knowledge that needed keeping, he'd fight for whichever one logically could hold it best.  ... And this is one part of why he is such a morally skewed character, because what he perceives as relevant knowledge will shift, and likewise, who actually holds it may also shift.   ...He's.. had way too much time to himself to think abstractly.

TLDR: He'd lay it all down for a situational, fluid concept before any current loyalties.  But in terms of current loyalties, it's a toss up between himself and his family.  What would make the difference would literally be what the situation was in that moment.  ... If he thought he had friends, it might be for them, but he'd never fight for the faceless 'Eorzea'.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Aris - 12-25-2014

Once upon a time Aris would have been fighting for Eorzea, the Twelve, and for Ul'dah, but she's changed a fair bit over the recent years and has realised she's simply fighting for her life, and the life of whoever it is that is fighting beside her.
She is a fighter and solider, and quite often can be in a dangerous situation. When it comes down to those moments of putting your life at risk Aris feels that you share something with your team mates that no-one will quite understand until they've been there and done it. So she takes each day at a time, and fights for whoever is there beside her.

Nimimi on the other hand is simply trying to fight for the people. She's a kind little lalafell with a big heart.

RE: For whom do you fight? - V'aleera - 12-25-2014

V'aleera fights for Eorzea, the land exalted above all others by the blessing of the Twelve. She is more than willing to sacrifice herself in the name of defending it, and anyone who would not do the same is not someone she would consider friend or family. There is no price she would consider too high to defend the sacred from the corrupt. She would even fight a hopeless battle in the face of such things as Dalamud's Fall or Bahamut, entirely confident that those seemingly insurmountable challenges are simply tests of faith mandated by the gods.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Selpharion - 12-26-2014

To Regulus is difficult to know why to fight, for why is worth dying for someone. Eorzea seems an interesting place with quaint people, although she has not been born there, she has known persons of which has affection (Although she would not prove it as anyone would.) She fights for Eorzea... FIGHTS for those who are important to her.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Gegenji - 12-26-2014

Chachan, to his own knowledge, fights for Eorzea in general. He wants to be a Big Damn Hero, so that means helping everyone. That even includes his enemies to a point, though he'd be quite pouty about doing it. Despite his reluctance, though, he'd rather turn them towards the "light," as it were, than actually do them lasting harm.

That said, his reach is pretty short at the moment - though Aetheryte extends that a bit - nor does he have the skill sets needed to do what he truly wishes to do. At best, he can try to help those around him - those he does errands for and the many folks he considers his friends - and try to expand his influence from there.

So... I guess he tries to fight for Eorzea. He just... can't yet. Hm.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Parvacake - 12-26-2014

Lili's is for her children, Locke, the Society, and everyone else in that order Smile

RE: For whom do you fight? - Aduu Avagnar - 12-26-2014

Due to certain IC reasons, Nako fights for Ul'dah, and ultimately, only Ul'dah. His fiance, family, friends, unit. They are all expendable if the situation requires it.

However, should this reason get removed, then by the twelve, the people that hurt those he cares about better watch their backs.

RE: For whom do you fight? - Kurt S. - 12-27-2014

If we're post talking about post MSQ, I think he'd fight for the people he's shared and will continue to share his adventures with, including his wolf pup, Apple. Because defending an Eorzea that's been robbed of the companions he's bled, cried, and celebrated with isn't something he'd look forward to. Of course, he hasn't considered the fact that some of his companions may view him as a selfish idiot if he dies for them, most of all who would look after his puppy if he's gone. 

If we're talking about the here and now. It'd be a hard tie between his puppy or the gil. On the one hand, his pup is his only companion(for now). On the other hand, he's dirt poor and struggles to provide for himself and the pup. There's also that unconsidered possibility of what happens to Apple if he dies. It's only those two choices because he has a staggering lack of friends and/or acquaintances.

Being a few days fresh off the Limsa Lominsa bound boat isn't an excuse for a lack of a social circle. #blametheplayer#2shy4u

In any case it's mainly for his friends.

RE: For whom do you fight? - K'nahli - 12-27-2014

Quote:-K'nahli "fights" for her family but would forsake many to give priority to her blood sister, K'mih.

Quote:-Andre is the altruistic type so he would fight for Eorzea if he bizarrely found himself in such a dramatic situation, but were his friends to come into jeopardy then he would likely put them first, depending on who it was(chivalry might forsake a male acquaintance/family member).

Quote:-Lulani fights for his friends, a.k.a Nonopi Nopi.

Quote:-Alex contrastingly fights only for himself.

K'nahli is my main and "Friends" is almost the most prevalent answer across the four so I'll vote for that!

RE: For whom do you fight? - Seriphyn - 12-28-2014

Very fascinating results. I would have expected more "For Eorzea", but it's very cool the amount of folk who have come back around to say 'Oh, well, it's more motivated by the self'. Indeed, for my character, his motivation to be so society-oriented certainly comes from a desire to be part of something greater internally. 

But if we were to break it down that far, everyone would be 'For myself!'. I made the votes public as well, so you could see where people voted. I am enjoying seeing where all the names have fallen.