Hydaelyn Role-Players
The fear factor! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The fear factor! (/showthread.php?tid=9471)

Pages: 1 2

The fear factor! - Ririla Rila - 12-31-2014

Hi! I've hit a little problem and I'm not sure how to deal with it, hoping we can start a nice discussion or debate on how's best to handle the situation I'm about to dive into!

First a little backstory, For those who don't know my character, She is Liliro Liro, A Kind-hearted but crafty and cunning thief, she mugs, robs, burgles, basically anything involving take things which aren't hers, either from person or place.

I also love making the RP spontaneous, let's face it, who doesn't love a bit of spontaneity! If I'm going to rob someone, I'll first check if the house is occupied with active Roleplayers who are present and willing to get involved. I don't normally OOCly divulge too much information about what will transpire next as it's more fun to be genuinely shocked about what's happening! 

Anywho, so I'll find Roleplayers who are willing and active etc, they are often in various other situations chatting, or once or twice... In the bedroom.. *cough* I let them know OOCly that I'm going to interact with them etc, 9 times out of 10 they love the randomness of it, because You never know when you might get burgled right? 

I'll go in, they will often be unarmed and completely startled to have a seemingly innocent Lalafell climb in their window or picklock their doors... First thing I will Icly do is check them for weapons, which they then oocly tell me they have or not, again, most people say they don't. Because believe it or not folks, people aren't armed 24/7! ^.^

Now I never harm other people's characters, I don't like to do that, and if it gets to that situation I ask their OOC permission first, now here is where I have my problem...

Lets say for example there's a guy sitting on the sofa, reading, unarmed, (This happened btw) and I'd thrown him a satchel and told him to fill it.. (All imagination of course!) Now, he refuses... which is like, okay, refuse thats fine, I mean some characters have a strong back bone. So I then move closer, perhaps put my dagger to his throat and insist he fills it. 

This is where I'm stuck. He refuses... again? Even though he is unarmed, on his own, with a knife to his throat! And I'm not prepared to God emote him or anything.. But in that situation, My character would infact cause physical harm to him. But I can't do that to someone elses character! I can't just god emote! So... What do I do in this situation? Do I just walk away (Which i ended up doing because I didn't know how to handle it..) Or do I harm him and tell him that it's what happens.. or.. what? I don't know!

So... Help a Little Mischief out, what would you do? What should I have done? Why was there a lack of fear over life potentially being lost? 

I mean my character has no problem hurting people if needed. but, I can't just outright... do it.. Right? 

RE: The fear factor! - Warren Castille - 12-31-2014

I believe in posting intent, and letting the other person decide how successful that intent is. If I've got a dagger to someone's throat and they refuse to comply, I'd emote something akin to

/em takes a deep breath and hardens his steely gaze, then attempts to press the blade in to draw blood.

Let the recipient determine what happens next, but be prepared for them to go with it and your character to become a cold-blooded murderer. It's happened before.

RE: The fear factor! - Steel Wolf - 12-31-2014

If it's gotten that far, it's really up to what your character would do. If she really wants that money, and she's willing to cut someone for resisting, then she shouldn't be completely afraid to escalate the matter one more step. Push the blade to perhaps draw blood, like Warren suggested. Stab the back cushion near the target's head then put the blade to the neck again to illustrate you mean business.

Either way, if things go that far, she'll have to be ready for possible retaliation. If the target does something godmoddy him/herself, say decides to lob a fireball at Mischief, then it'd probably be a good time to break away, as the whole matter could devolve into a pissing contest.

It's nerve-wracking, to be sure...but that's how a life of crime goes. You have a mark who thinks they've got guts? Show them your resolve! <3

RE: The fear factor! - Ririla Rila - 12-31-2014

(12-31-2014, 09:29 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: If it's gotten that far, it's really up to what your character would do.  If she really wants that money, and she's willing to cut someone for resisting, then she shouldn't be completely afraid to escalate the matter one more step.  Push the blade to perhaps draw blood, like Warren suggested.  Stab the back cushion near the target's head then put the blade to the neck again to illustrate you mean business.

Either way, if things go that far, she'll have to be ready for possible retaliation.  If the target does something godmoddy him/herself, say decides to lob a fireball at Mischief, then it'd probably be a good time to break away, as the whole matter could devolve into a pissing contest.

It's nerve-wracking, to be sure...but that's how a life of crime goes.  You have a mark who thinks they've got guts?  Show them your resolve! <3

See, my character would just cut, loot and run, she really doesn't care for marks at all. Perhaps the drawing blood would be a good idea, but what happens If they then retaliate and resist further, I mean... Should I just leave it, If they are armed I wouldn't complain, as it's a fair fight, but them being unarmed would give me a distinct advantage.. right?

RE: The fear factor! - Warren Castille - 12-31-2014

(12-31-2014, 09:33 AM)Liliro Liro Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 09:29 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: If it's gotten that far, it's really up to what your character would do.  If she really wants that money, and she's willing to cut someone for resisting, then she shouldn't be completely afraid to escalate the matter one more step.  Push the blade to perhaps draw blood, like Warren suggested.  Stab the back cushion near the target's head then put the blade to the neck again to illustrate you mean business.

Either way, if things go that far, she'll have to be ready for possible retaliation.  If the target does something godmoddy him/herself, say decides to lob a fireball at Mischief, then it'd probably be a good time to break away, as the whole matter could devolve into a pissing contest.

It's nerve-wracking, to be sure...but that's how a life of crime goes.  You have a mark who thinks they've got guts?  Show them your resolve! <3

See, my character would just cut, loot and run, she really doesn't care for marks at all. Perhaps the drawing blood would be a good idea, but what happens If they then retaliate and resist further, I mean... Should I just leave it, If they are armed I wouldn't complain, as it's a fair fight, but them being unarmed would give me a distinct advantage.. right?

Sort of. Is your character bluffing? Because if she's making big threats and is unwilling to act on them, then that bluff has effectively been called. If she's willing to kill someone over some burgled goods, then don't be afraid to respond in a way that intends that.

/em continues pushing the blade against <t>'s throat. If he doesn't stop it, the wound will be fatal!

When it comes down to it, if you emote a threat and the person goes "Sure, do it, I don't care" they're quite literally asking for you to hurt them. Don't be afraid to get rough! As long as you're not calling damage, it isn't godmoding. There's a world of difference between

/em slits open <t>'s throat

and

/em attempts to slit open <t>'s throat.

RE: The fear factor! - Ririla Rila - 12-31-2014

No no she isn't bluffing, she's killed before and would do so again!

I'll give trying to get a little rough a go next time i'm in that situation. As i said, most of the time they just comply! Then OOCly thank me after for spicing up their day :3

RE: The fear factor! - Berrod Armstrong - 12-31-2014

Back when I had Berrod mug people outside of Bronze Lake (before the days of housing, alas) I would whisper the character's player and let them know my intentions, assure them that ultimately they were truly in control of what happened to their character, and ask their permission to proceed. That usually worked out well enough! In fact, in one case, the Character turned out to be an off duty Maelstrom officer and asked ME if I was willing to let Berrod get messed up instead. He did, and it was glorious. 

Opening communication before the event takes place is verrrryyy important, even if you want things to happen in an organic fashion, so I think you're on the right path. What you may need to do is come up with a course of action in the event of a refusal that suits your character. Were the suggestions that Warren and Wolf gave in line with what your character would do? Or would they chicken out?  Similarly, try to concoct as many scenarios in your head as possible so that if something happens., you more than likely already have a way to respond to it that keeps things flowing smoothly!

Warren has the right of it--I've seen plenty of em-fights in TOR and some of them were so poorly scripted and written out because people just REALLY wanna lop off another person's hand with their lightsaber I guess I dunno.

The point is to display intent without writing the final outcome. This dumbass is playing with his life in your hands--maybe because he doesn't find Lalafell criminals threatening. Remind him that knives can really really hurt. >:3

RE: The fear factor! - Gegenji - 12-31-2014

(12-31-2014, 09:50 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: maybe because he doesn't find Lalafell criminals threatening.

That's basically what I was wondering. I've had a couple people be pretty dismissive of Chachan because he's a Lala. Despite the fact that he's been smithing since he was, like, five. They didn't know that, of course, but still... Sad

(12-31-2014, 10:20 AM)Gegenji Wrote: That's basically what I was wondering. I've had a couple people be pretty dismissive of Chachan because he's a Lala. Despite the fact that he's been smithing since he was, like, five. They didn't know that, of course, but still... Sad

As a Roegadyn, I imagine a Lalafell approaching me to mug me would be someone who wonders what it's like to fly at the toe of my boot. Size can matter.

That said...if a Lala leapt up and cut the purse from Steel's hip then beat feet, that's definitely something that takes advantage of the height differences. And in the situation that Mischief outlined (at home, unarmed, unarmored on a couch) height has pretty much no bearing in that situation. Especially if I've had the distance closed and a knife against my neck.

Ultimately, just because I RP a Roe doesn't make me above a mugging if I'm not careful. :3

RE: The fear factor! - Aduu Avagnar - 12-31-2014

See here's the thing. Nako is incredibly hard to get the jump on at his barracks. One, he's essentially ex special forces and extremely paranoid. I'm talking tripwires, traps both aethirial and mundane. Two, he sleeps upon a razors edge. Someone opens the door or window, he wakes up, unless he's drunken himself into a stupor.

The other thing to remember, is they may look unarmed, but what if they stash weapons all over the place. Nano has a tome or knife within easy reach of wherever he may be in his room, and a couple of staffs all over.

He also is generally unthreatened by most people.

RE: The fear factor! - C'kayah Polaali - 12-31-2014

(12-31-2014, 11:22 AM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: See here's the thing. Nako is incredibly hard to get the jump on at his barracks. One, he's essentially ex special forces and extremely paranoid. I'm talking tripwires, traps both aethirial and mundane. Two, he sleeps upon a razors edge. Someone opens the door or window, he wakes up, unless he's drunken himself into a stupor.

The other thing to remember, is they may look unarmed, but what if they stash weapons all over the place. Nano has a tome or knife within easy reach of wherever he may be in his room, and a couple of staffs all over.

He also is generally unthreatened by most people.

Sure, but that's not the situation Liliro is talking about. It sounds like, if she asked "Mind if I burgle you?", you'd respond "You can try, but there are traps, etc etc". These are people who've initially agreed to it.

Lil, what I'd recommend in this case is to push the boundaries a little bit. It's generally acknowledged good form to RP the action and let the other person RP the result, but this is getting pretty close to a guaranteed coup de grace. If Liliro isn't willing to kill the man for refusing to fill his bag, then you're justified in posting that you thwack the guy in the temple with the pommel of your dagger and knock his ass out.

RE: The fear factor! - Parvacake - 12-31-2014

(12-31-2014, 09:17 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I believe in posting intent, and letting the other person decide how successful that intent is. If I've got a dagger to someone's throat and they refuse to comply, I'd emote something akin to

/em takes a deep breath and hardens his steely gaze, then attempts to press the blade in to draw blood.

Let the recipient determine what happens next, but be prepared for them to go with it and your character to become a cold-blooded murderer. It's happened before.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

RE: The fear factor! - Ririla Rila - 01-01-2015

Thank you all for your responses! I actually Got to put your suggestion about emoting intent without outcome last night, this person was a hard nut, claiming he didn't care about his life...

I put: /em attempts to rest the tip of the dagger on his thigh, slowing increasing pressure

The man soon changed his tune! Begun wincing, and complied! Huzzah!

RE: The fear factor! - Steel Wolf - 01-01-2015

Yay! Big Grin See? When it comes to having their character potentially, honestly killed off, most will comply to your mugging wishes. Unless they were looking for an out/reason to re-roll/use a Fantasia. X3

Anyways, glad to hear it worked out!!

...why am I cheering for a criminal's success though? XD