Hydaelyn Role-Players
Warrior or Paladin? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Warrior or Paladin? (/showthread.php?tid=9557)

Pages: 1 2 3

Warrior or Paladin? - Nester - 01-05-2015

Big axe? Or sword and shield? Aesthetics aside, however, what really should go into a decision between pursuing Gladiator/Paladin VS Marauder/Warrior? Those of you that have played both or been in groups with both, what really defines a Warrior over a Paladin? Or vice-versa? All insights appreciated!

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Gegenji - 01-05-2015

Mechanics-wise or from an RP standpoint? Because I'm pretty sure there's a decent thesis in each.

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Nester - 01-05-2015

Just added a poll. Enjoy! And please vote~ Thumbsup

(01-05-2015, 03:21 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Mechanics-wise or from an RP standpoint? Because I'm pretty sure there's a decent thesis in each.

Why not both? I want to encourage all types of insight!

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 03:21 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Mechanics-wise or from an RP standpoint? Because I'm pretty sure there's a decent thesis in each.
^deifnitely so.

But for a gameplay argument....what do you like more? Damage sponge or damage mititgation?

Warrior is gonna be your damage sponge. They like running around and hitting things. Think....a more DPS-based tank. I find it to be a faster play style, as you must always stay active.

Paladin is your knight in shining armor. What they don't have in HP like a WAR, they have in defensive skills and mitigation. I find this to be a slower playstyle, as you don't have to constantly fight to keep your enmity. (You might be using flash, or have Shield Oath up, or something)

edit: saw the updates.

From an RP standpoint, I have no idea. I'll let the other lovely people help out with this.

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Coatleque - 01-05-2015

I haven't bothered to level warrior at all, but from what I hear of others they have a larger health pool than Paladins. From a tanking standpoint, they do more damage but also have fewer mitigations so they can potentially take more.

Paladins do less damage, have less health, but have more "Oh s#!+" buttons.

From an RP standpoint, in as few words as possible, you can think of it as Barbarian vs. ... well... Paladin.

No one has voted yet? C'mon don't be shy! It's totally anonymous Tongue

Hm, let's see here, then. I'm not super-strong the lore, so someone like Sounsyy could probably run circles around me, but I'll give it my best.

Gladiators are, from how they're portrayed in game, show-fighters who fight on the Bloodsands of Ul'dah. Fighting for riches, glory, or just for the thrill of the fight. Of course, you're not limited to this and can just visit the guild to work on your sword and board skills, such as Chachan does.

Paladins come in two forms. The first and most high profile is the Sultansworn, basically the personal knights of the Sultana. They serve her first and foremost, even above other issues, though Nanamo does seem to have a sympathetic ear for the plight of her people. Those Paladins who are not bound to the Sultana and seek to serve elsewhere or Eorzea in general are known as Free Paladins.

Mechanically, GLD/PLD is a cooldown-based tanking class. You won't have as much health as a MRD/WAR, but you will have so many more cooldowns you can burn to keep yourself alive. Regardless, the class has the ever-useful AoE enmity move Flash and the aggro-grabbing Provoke that you'll want no matter which tanking class you play.

Now onto the one I know a bit less about...

Marauders, on the other hand, are basically a more structured and legal version of Eorzean pirates, since the axe is the common pirate weapon there. They're known for their brute force and their intimidating prowess.

Warriors are those who have learned to tap into (and hopefully control!) their Inner Beast. This skill is mainly known and passed down through a tribe from (quick Google search...) Ablathania's Spine. Should you seek to learn the ways of the Warriors, you must needs seek one of them down. Or be a member of the tribe yourself...

Mechanically, MRD/WAR is a... management-based tanking class, I suppose? Once you get into Warrior, you use Defiance and build up stacks of Wrath that you then spend on abilities. These abilities include bolstering your defense, removing the damage penalty from your Defiance stance, and other tricks. Rather than using defensive cooldowns, you're a big wall of meat who uses abilities like Bloodlust and Mercy Stroke to supplement the healing being thrown your way.

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Nebbs - 01-05-2015

Warrior - damage sponges, require more to heal but has some nice bonuses for backup dps and stuff. Good in low level dungeons when you get nerf-synced. if they want they can generate huge aggro.

Paladin - really only a tank, with is excelent mitigation and cool downs for protection, need less to heal. Not great in low level dungeons when you get nerf-synced.

Dark Knight - oooh dark, did I mention they are dark?

Other tank mentions
  • WHM - you aggro machines! They dies quite fast.
  • DRG - okay for a short period, like an add on Titan Ex or Garuda Ex, but can think they are somehow a real tank
  • Monk/Ninja - why?
  • Bard - see the bard, see the bard run, see the bard keep running, see party groan.
  • Summoned creature - sneaky aggro stealer at the start of a pull or when sneaking past
  • Chocobo - lol.. lol.. lol

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 03:38 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Warrior - damage sponges, require more to heal but has some nice bonuses for backup dps and stuff. Good in low level dungeons when you get nerf-synced. if they want they can generate huge aggro.

Paladin - really only a tank, with is excelent mitigation and cool downs for protection, need less to heal. Not great in low level dungeons when you get nerf-synced.

Dark Knight - oooh dark, did I mention they are dark?

Other tank mentions
  • WHM - you aggro machines! They dies quite fast.
  • DRG - okay for a short period, like an add on Titan Ex or Garuda Ex, but can think they are somehow a real tank
  • Monk/Ninja - why?
  • Bard - see the bard, see the bard run, see the bard keep running, see party groan.
  • Summoned creature - sneaky aggro stealer at the start of a pull or when sneaking past
  • Chocobo - lol.. lol.. lol

...I think it's because in 1.0, MNK and DRG actually had some tnak-like abilities. ...and you could use them as tanks in some situations. But 1.0 was weeeiirrddd

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Kage - 01-05-2015

Paladin is the definition of a sword and board tank imo. You sit there, grab agro and you take them hits.

I've always loved sword and board so Paladin is my go to.

DPS wise, they're not horrible either. Sword oath + STR attribute + STR accessories? WOOOOOH~

But it really is more of a 1-2-3 class.

A great Warrior is definitely an asset. They know how to rotate cooldowns so those big hits don't scare the healers so much. They also take agro like a sponge, don't need to worry about hate with them. Usually. If they remotely know how to play their class/job. It is definitely more involved than Paladin is game play wise.

OTHER TANK MENTIONS?:
SCH
BLM

heh

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-05-2015

Paladins rule, warriors drool. Just kidding

They're sort of wierd. Warriors are a lot more bursty than Paladins, and they do more damage when tanking, and can take bigger hits, since they can increase their HP Pool and their defenses.

Paladins take less damage overall, due to their shields and abilities, making them more mana efficient to heal. However they do relatively poor damage while tanking.

Strangely enough though, Paladins tend to do more damage than all but the pro'est of warriors while off tanking. Since Sword Oath actually improves their damage, as opposed to clicking off defiance.

I think PLD is easier, but warrior is more fun. But I am lazy so I play PLD.

Had to make a minor edit to my thing. I keep typing Sultansword instead of Sultansworn for some reason. I now need a weapon called the Sultansword, bequeathed by Nanamo to the greatest Paladin...

But yeah, there's quite a difference both mechanically and from a lore standpoint. It's hard to vote for one or the other because that would be based on our own personal preferences and the personalities of our characters. It's hard to say which one would better fit yours without knowing more about them!

On the plus side, you don't have to lock yourself to one choice or the other! The other class is just a weapon change away! Try them both out, see which one you like more. Even if you picked one as your character's IC class, there's nothing saying something couldn't happen that could make them put down the sword and board and take up the axe (Like our own Steel Wolf!)!

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Aaron - 01-05-2015

PLD is easier, WAR is supposedly more gun because there's more rotations.

WAR also hold aggro better. I had a experiment where two PLD tried to take aggro from a WAR, PLD IF THEY DID TAKE AGGRO (Unlikely) could only hold it for a few seconds before a WAR took it right back. Even with provoke.

Over time though PLD will eventually match WAR aggro. But PLD is more a wall that can't be broken and WAR is a hammer that breaks anything. 

However if a WAR& PLD traded blows at each other my money is on the WAR (My pride as a PLD SORRY) simply because imo offense > defense

RE: Warrior or Paladin? - Nebbs - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 03:43 PM)Kage Wrote: ..DPS wise, they're not horrible either. Sword oath + STR attribute + STR accessories? WOOOOOH~

But it really is more of a 1-2-3 class.

Yes I have a set of DOS accessories for those stupid light runs where no one waits, So I loose 1k HP, I do huge aggro Smile

1-2-3 + CDs + the whole tanking thing, which is the real art.

Seriously if tanking was easy more would play tanks.. I expect.