Hydaelyn Role-Players
Level 50 requirement? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Level 50 requirement? (/showthread.php?tid=9564)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Level 50 requirement? - Kurt S. - 01-06-2015

Okay so it's been eating me up inside and I know I've already gotten some answers for this question but somehow I really think that's it's just the optimism that I was reading. Granted I've never ran into those umm "answerers" well people who answered last time yet. But I still want to get more opinions on it.

Do I need to be level 50 before I can really RP?

Because well sometimes I'm hanging around the Quicksand, sometimes I'm in the Drowning Wench, sometimes I'm out in the ass end of Eorzea. Now I'm one to use the whole search comment thing and it's all got these "Walk up anytime" shit or things along those lines. Being as I am, I usually send a tell first before I approach someone. Now one of two things usually happen, I get ignored>they're actually afk/they really just ignore me. OR They make some sort of excuse only to RP with some other level 50 dude who just walked in a minute or so later. Even if I just take the plunge and go IC on them, it's like I'm non-existent. It is kinda sorta chipping away at my confidence.

Yes I am aware of people being in IC and OOC states and I keep that in mind before approaching someone. 

Okay so that was part curiosity and part me venting this shit out of my system. 

At this point, I'd be happy for someone to even just have a few short words with Kurt and then go send him off to Coerthas or some place far far away on a job or what have you, maybe even go out there with him and teach him (not necessarily correct) things. 

*venting complete*

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Marisa - 01-06-2015

Well shoot, a couple of my IC best friends were only like level 17 when I met them. I dunno, maybe some people will turn you down over it but I don't see any reason to. I mean, in most scenarios, your level will make little difference for RP purposes (unless you're really into dungeon rp), so I guess it's just people being silly.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Aaron - 01-06-2015

People tolerated me at level 31 lol

I changed clothes so much I remember Warren saying he thought I was a fashion designer IC XD and I was the tavern drunk so people really couldn't ignore me because well. . . I was loud >.> 

You're probably just meeting those what I call endrpers who only deal with level 50's. I meet them a lot.

Best thing I can say is start of doing solo rp. People will jump in eventually. 

Aaron met most of his friends because he'd always sit in a table cleaning his weapons by himself or sleeping in public.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - TheBlob - 01-06-2015

I think you may have just gotten some bad luck in regards to walk up RP. I've personally had similar experiences in the Quicksand and just assume it's too busy and people go AFK there a LOT.

It's likely got little to nothing to do with the fact you're under max level...unless the people you're approaching just have some super strange issues.

Keep trying! As someone who has a majority of their RP as 'walk up', AFKs are going to happen. Play off the 'snub' when you're ignored and move on to the next person. 

Don't let it get you down!

I will make it a point to hunt you down and have Andy pester you!

Edits cause iPads suck... Screw you autocorrect.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Kahn'a - 01-06-2015

I follow the previous post in saying that you probably stumbled upon silly people, or busy ones.

As I started the game, I got rapidly involved with a Free Company, and the only time my level actually mattered was so that I could join a certain Grand Company, to match the FC's Roleplay Theme ― and even then, the leader gave no deadline. Again, in almost a year I have roleplayed in this game, that was the only exception, and one that made sense and that was in my reach with what time I could give the game back then.

Hells, I proceeded to roleplay with the biggest baddie ever, in a large-scale plot, and he was a measly little Lv5 CNJ. Levels should tell nothing of the credibility of a character.

What you might have encountered was typical shyness. Some roleplayers have their little comfort, their little habits, haunts and daily encounters, and straying off from that nice little bundle can seem scary to them. Those usually needs a little more than a nudge to answer positively. But if they are petty enough to disregard you simply because they think your low-level reflects your commitment to your character, then they are probably not worth it.

That said, I am quite sure those are more of a rarity than a common occurance. So keep faith, fellow roleplayer, and carry on with the mingling!

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Steel Wolf - 01-06-2015

I can't tell you how many times Steel's been flat-out ignored in the Quicksand, and she's level 50. People telling you with pure silence to fuck off is not level-restricted, I assure you.

That said, you shouldn't let that outright discourage you, and being denied RP because you're not a 50 is probably one of the dumbest reasons I've ever read, if that's a person's excuse. Don't give that the energy of thought and just keep mingling and keep poking. :3

To wit, I'm probably going to stuff Steel in the Quicksand this evening and have another bash. Because I'm annoyingly persistent like that. Feel free to walk-up, as you well know. <3

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Kurt S. - 01-06-2015

(Now if only I could qoute multiple posts. But that's beside the point.)
So all this is just a spot of bad luck that'll just go away right? Some are shy so that just means I just need to be a little more persistent and maybe, just maybe I can explore Eorzea with someone other than myself. That all this is being ignored part is either through shyness or probably because they just associate with level 50s who I assume have poetics or soldieries equppied. The latter point has happened to me in the past. But those are rare occurences right?

So that bit about being a level 5 big bad must have been awesome to do.

Solo RPs also interact with the environment right? So I just need to vary what I do and up the quality of what I put out and that might increase my chances of someone joining in, I hope.

Level makes little to no impact unless in a dungeon RP, which sounds very interesting, or they are 'EndRPers', which are probably few and far in between right? 

And suddenly someone named Andy is probably hot on Kurt's trail. Wonderful!

I really do appreciate the resonses everyone. Hopefully I get to reflect that despite typing on a phone.

(01-06-2015, 08:21 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I can't tell you how many times Steel's been flat-out ignored in the Quicksand, and she's level 50.  People telling you with pure silence to fuck off is not level-restricted, I assure you.

That said, you shouldn't let that outright discourage you, and being denied RP because you're not a 50 is probably one of the dumbest reasons I've ever read, if that's a person's excuse.  Don't give that the energy of thought and just keep mingling and keep poking.  :3

To wit, I'm probably going to stuff Steel in the Quicksand this evening and have another bash.  Because I'm annoyingly persistent like that.  Feel free to walk-up, as you well know. <3
Stahlwilf in the quicksand? Kurt will be very grateful if he sees her god knows that aremor has kept him in one piece very reliably plus he's lvl 37 so he's bound to have crazy stories up his sleeve on how the armor supposedly stopped a few dozen amal'jaa spears at once XD

And I will say that I have put a shitload of thought into Kurt as well as how gameplay mechanics factor into his character. Like that bit about the leve allowances or even bending the MSQ to serve as part of his own developing storyline.

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Steel Wolf - 01-06-2015

(01-06-2015, 08:26 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: (Now if only I could qoute multiple posts. But that's beside the point.)
So all this is just a spot of bad luck that'll just go away right? Some are shy so that just means I just need to be a little more persistent and maybe, just maybe I can explore Eorzea with someone other than myself.

I wouldn't call it a spot of bad luck that will go away, exactly. I'd perhaps expect it to happen again. It's just a matter of some days being better than others, really. At least in my personal experience.

Additionally, I'd suggest to post in the "Making Connections" thread with your interests and intent if you'd like someone to RP alongside whilst going through the leveling experience as well. That might be a good place to start in addition to putting yourself out there in the social hubs.

Ultimately, though, the social hubs are where most new interactions happen, bar an arrangement set up from this forum to in-game. Please don't be discouraged and please PLEASE don't assume you're the one at fault here. Just have fun in the try at least, and don't give up! <3

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Spethah - 01-06-2015

-aggressive trumpet playing- The Sun has arrived!
In all honesty the times Gentle Sun has ventured to the Quicksand has almost always ended in solo RP and has nothing really to do with his level. It was either AFKers or people sticking to their clique. It just takes a few pokes to get the engine to start, or rather a few kicks. A lot of RPers, myself included, are quite shy and tend to need a poke or two before the ball starts to roll. Persist and become strong my padawan!

Also just to add yet again for like the nine thousandth time or something, feel free to poke me when I'm on Gentle because he's more than happy to travel to the Quicksand! especially when he found out someone was talking about him

RE: Level 50 requirement? - Xiaoli Vorgan - 01-06-2015

(01-06-2015, 05:56 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: Okay so it's been eating me up inside and I know I've already gotten some answers for this question but somehow I really think that's it's just the optimism that I was reading. Granted I've never ran into those umm "answerers" well people who answered last time yet. But I still want to get more opinions on it.

Because well sometimes I'm hanging around the Quicksand, sometimes I'm in the Drowning Wench, sometimes I'm out in the ass end of Eorzea. Now I'm one to use the whole search comment thing and it's all got these "Walk up anytime" shit or things along those lines. Being as I am, I usually send a tell first before I approach someone. Now one of two things usually happen, I get ignored>they're actually afk/they really just ignore me. OR They make some sort of excuse only to RP with some other level 50 dude who just walked in a minute or so later. Even if I just take the plunge and go IC on them, it's like I'm non-existent. It is kinda sorta chipping away at my confidence.

Yes I am aware of people being in IC and OOC states and I keep that in mind before approaching someone. 

At this point, I'd be happy for someone to even just have a few short words with Kurt and then go send him off to Coerthas or some place far far away on a job or what have you, maybe even go out there with him and teach him (not necessarily correct) things. 

*venting complete*

I can promise ya, if I run into you, I'll RP with you. I have all 50s and still find a hard time just walking up to random people to RP with, especially if they are already in a group setting. Most times, they are already involved in whatever conversation and trying to pay attention to someone else joining in seems difficult. It's a skill to be able to type-converse with several people at once, given there are no chat bubbles and it can be hard to keep track.

I've seen very few people able to do that, this one lady I knew on SWTOR, she was very popular for being friendly with everyone. So basically, everyone knew her. She was really nice!

They aren't necessarily igging you on purpose, they may just be missing out or unable to also react with you while reacting with someone else. That's not to say there aren't people who do ig.

There are alot of... iffy people out there. I once had some person tell me they wen're interested in RPing with me unless there was a chance of a romantic relationship, otherwise any other RP would be pointless. You will meet people like that and people who might not RP with you because you aren't 50. You don't want to RP with these types of people anyway. It shouldn't matter what level you are, as long as you intend to RP and have fun with it. They probably have it in their mind if you aren't high enough level, you aren't as serious about RP as they are. Yeahhh.... no. Be glad you don't have to RP with someone like that, it will probably end bad.

I don't want to really say cliques, since I don't stick around long enough to notice if it's the same groups of people every night in the same circle, mostly talking among themselves or not. So I'll just say groups. Tends to be where everyone says is a hot spot for RP, the Goblet seems like where most of the group gathering occurs. I've found easier to initiate RP in places like Limsa and Gridania.

I've had plenty of folks of many levels randomly talk to me, we chat a bit but it seems usually its always folks who have small rp schedules, and tend to be on like once a week, if that or our time in game isn't synching up.

At any rate. Hope I run into ya. I often stand around like a statue trying to figure out what random thing to say to get into a conversation and after a minute or so, if I see that many conversations are already going on, most of which are people who seem to already be close to those they are talking to, I end up making my way back to my personal house to craft. Send me a whisper if ya find me in game, or are looking to RP! I'll do the same and look around for you!

(01-06-2015, 08:42 AM)Ralyon Wrote: -aggressive trumpet playing- The Sun has arrived!
In all honesty the times Gentle Sun has ventured to the Quicksand has almost always ended in solo RP and has nothing really to do with his level. It was either AFKers or people sticking to their clique. It just takes a few pokes to get the engine to start, or rather a few kicks. A lot of RPers, myself included, are quite shy and tend to need a poke or two before the ball starts to roll. Persist and become strong my padawan!

Also just to add yet again for like the nine thousandth time or something, feel free to poke me when I'm on Gentle because he's more than happy to travel to the Quicksand! especially when he found out someone was talking about him
But mister Sun Man I only told them about that time with the 100 goobbues... XD

(01-06-2015, 08:31 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(01-06-2015, 08:26 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: (Now if only I could qoute multiple posts. But that's beside the point.)
So all this is just a spot of bad luck that'll just go away right? Some are shy so that just means I just need to be a little more persistent and maybe, just maybe I can explore Eorzea with someone other than myself.

I wouldn't call it a spot of bad luck that will go away, exactly.  I'd perhaps expect it to happen again.  It's just a matter of some days being better than others, really.  At least in my personal experience.

Additionally, I'd suggest to post in the "Making Connections" thread with your interests and intent if you'd like someone to RP alongside whilst going through the leveling experience as well.  That might be a good place to start in addition to putting yourself out there in the social hubs.

Ultimately, though, the social hubs are where most new interactions happen, bar an arrangement set up from this forum to in-game.  Please don't be discouraged and please PLEASE don't assume you're the one at fault here.  Just have fun in the try at least, and don't give up! <3
Thank you Steel Wolf I'll keep that to heart then Big Grin

(01-06-2015, 08:44 AM)Xiaoli Vorgan Wrote:
(01-06-2015, 05:56 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: Okay so it's been eating me up inside and I know I've already gotten some answers for this question but somehow I really think that's it's just the optimism that I was reading. Granted I've never ran into those umm "answerers" well people who answered last time yet. But I still want to get more opinions on it.

*venting complete*

I can promise ya, if I run into you, I'll RP with you. I have all 50s and still find a hard time just walking up to random people to RP with, especially if they are already in a group setting. Most times, they are already involved in whatever conversation and trying to pay attention to someone else joining in seems difficult. It's a skill to be able to type-converse with several people at once, given there are no chat bubbles and it can be hard to keep track.

I've seen very few people able to do that, this one lady I knew on SWTOR, she was very popular for being friendly with everyone. So basically, everyone knew her. She was really nice!

They aren't necessarily igging you on purpose, they may just be missing out or unable to also react with you while reacting with someone else. That's not to say there aren't people who do ig.

There are alot of... iffy people out there. I once had some person tell me they wen're interested in RPing with me unless there was a chance of a romantic relationship, otherwise any other RP would be pointless. You will meet people like that and people who might not RP with you because you aren't 50. You don't want to RP with these types of people anyway. It shouldn't matter what level you are, as long as you intend to RP and have fun with it. They probably have it in their mind if you aren't high enough level, you aren't as serious about RP as they are. Yeahhh.... no. Be glad you don't have to RP with someone like that, it will probably end bad.

I don't want to really say cliques, since I don't stick around long enough to notice if it's the same groups of people every night in the same circle, mostly talking among themselves or not. So I'll just say groups. Tends to be where everyone says is a hot spot for RP, the Goblet seems like where most of the group gathering occurs. I've found easier to initiate RP in places like Limsa and Gridania.

I've had plenty of folks of many levels randomly talk to me, we chat a bit but it seems usually its always folks who have small rp schedules, and tend to be on like once a week, if that or our time in game isn't synching up.

At any rate. Hope I run into ya. I often stand around like a statue trying to figure out what random thing to say to get into a conversation and after a minute or so, if I see that many conversations are already going on, most of which are people who seem to already be close to those they are talking to, I end up making my way back to my personal house to craft. Send me a whisper if ya find me in game, or are looking to RP! I'll do the same and look around for you!

I'll be sure to keep my player search open for you...okay that sounded just a little bit stalker...ish?...ry?...like?