Hydaelyn Role-Players
[OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path (/showthread.php?tid=9567)

Pages: 1 2

[OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-06-2015

Show Content

It had been an expensive venture for the intrepid little Lalafell. He had linkpearls to purchase and set up. He had to hire myriad Miqo'te to distribute the pearls across the entire realm. He had to work out the format, the topics, the name...it was all so much work. But it all lead to this moment.

It was a risk, as well, treading this new ground. A bunch of strangers handing out linkpearls unbidden might have caused many to simply assume madness. Or another Garlean propaganda raid. Or just complete indifference. Still, it was part of the plan. He chose Miqo'te because people liked how the race looked. He wrote the attached note to each linkpearl very clearly to incite curiosity.

"Put on this linkpearl in five moons' time and listen to the future!"

...and he knew there'd be many who would be curious.

The Lalafell had tied his own linkpearl to a long stick, lashing it neatly to the end of it like a staff. He had sorted out that it was the best way to alleviate his height disadvantage, despite being rather tall for his race. He had also ensure that his own appearance was perfect--a clean, slicked back hairstyle, his dark locks shimmering in the sunlight. A smart suit tailored to his form. His teeth tended to obsessively.

Now, here he stood, at the outskirts of the Quicksand in Ul'dah, ready to begin his new future. The Lalafell cleared his throat and aimed the pearl to his mouth, a scroll in his hand to read his introduction.

Showtime.

"Hello people of Eorzea! I am Kali Kalrath, your Lalafell on the Path! Welcome to the premiere broadcast of the only linkpearl show to bring you, my listeners, the pulse of the nation right to your ears!

"Yes, that's right, this is instant transmission! We're not running a two-bit rag spreading slander! I'll be 'On the Path', bringing you the topics and opinions and interviews right as they're spoken! You're getting it straight from the mouth of the people, not through the bias of the writers!

"Today, I'm outside of the Quicksand in the always-electrifying city of Ul'dah. For this, our premiere broadcast, we'll be walking up to the myriad adventurers that frequent this establishment and asking them...'What Do You Like About Ul'dah?"

The Lalafell strolls up to you, aiming his linkpearl-stick at you.

"You there! Hello! Kali Kalrath, Lalfell on the Path. Tell me, friend, what do YOU like about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - cuideag - 01-06-2015

(( What an incredibly adorable idea waaaaah ))

Her head was held low and her hands were busy, fingers clenched tight around two hefty canvas sacks. Jajara Jara's footsteps were light but metal instruments clanked and jangled at her sides like windchimes strangled of wind. For all intents and purposes she appeared insubstantial, unimportant, and Jajara carried herself in such a way as well.

As such, she took several steps past the lalafellow and his out-held linkpearl-onna-stick before her mind caught up to the notion that the words she had just heard might have actually been directed at her.

"Whuh," she stammered ungracefully. "Wha? Huh?" Large golden eyes blinked several times at this strange man (for surely it must have been strange to see anyone dressed so sharply in Ul'dah) while she wrestled with the question that had been presented.

"What.. do I like about Ul'dah? I-I, uhhh..." Jajara's eyes gradually eased into a squint as if suspicious, or at least peripherally aware that suspicion might have been an appropriate if not slightly impolite response. "I... w-well, the roads ain't quite gold like what they say, but... but it's gee loverly still, ain't it? Them towers an' all, the... the shapes an' colors in the stone an' tile. Blessed by Byregot's hand, reckon."

A strained smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she stared between her fellow lalafell and his pearl-onna-stick, as if awaiting a signal that she might have satisfied... What exactly was he after, anyroad?

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-06-2015

The Lalafell grinned broadly, partially in reassurance, partially in relief. This whole scheme might actually be working out! He aimed the pearlstick back to his mouth, speaking into it cheerfully.

"They are incredible, aren't they? You heard her, listeners! If you haven't seen them, then the spires and streets of Ul'dah are definitely worth the trip, even for a very obviously busy and well-traveled adventurer!"

He trotted off, away from the confused woman, perhaps increasing her confusion as he aimed his pearlstick at another new face.

"You there! Yes, you! Hello, I'm Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path. Would you kindly tell our listeners what you like the most about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Jig - 01-07-2015

A silver haired Lalafell was wondering the streets aimlessly while reading a book titled "Aether versus Magi-tech" when a pearlstick literally appeared from out of nowhere in front of his face. Startled he managed to catch his glasses and save them from falling to ground. After quickly adjusting the spectacles on his nose and recovering from near death experience of almost having heart attack, dapper Lala looked straight at the reporter.

"I... Uh..."

He tried to recollect the question that was posed to him. It was hard to tell what manner of thoughts ran through his mind. Based on his expression that went through anger, anxiety and to straight confusion mixet with social awkwardness, someone might have the feeling of something exploding somewhere far away.
But no... Literally something exploded in the distance.

"What do... I like about... Ul'dah?"

The Lalafell looked wise and smart, yet seemed confused and empty-headed about question that was given to him. He looked away to think for a bit. Another few random emotions could be read from his expression like he's literally reliving all memories he's trying to recall about the city. The dapper Lala-gentleman mumbled something under his nose for a while.

"It's-uh... the climate, I guess!"

He furrowed his brows and gazed suspiciously at the reporter.

"Who the heck are you anyway?!"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-08-2015

The Lalafell blinked a few times. Maybe the intro was a bit too swift? Or perhaps he was coming on too strong? Oh man, what if people listening are laughing? Or worse, removing their linkpearls??

No. No, this is not what a professional broadcaster would do. Granted, "professional broadcaster" was a new profession, but Kali was certain that overthinking things would be the unprofessional thing. He put on his practiced, gleaming white smile and repeated.

"Oh, I'm Kali Kalrath. The Lalafell on the Path! I'm broadcasting a live linkpearl show to the entire nation of Eorzea, and this is ju--"

He was cut off by what sounded like an explosion in the distance. Kali looked around, then up at the sky.

"...doesn't look like thunder's coming...huh. A-anyway. this is just taking the pulse of the people and hearing their opinions about Ul'dah!"

He spun around on his heel, continuing to speak into his pearlstick and to nobody in particular. "And you heard him! Climate! Though it would take a very special sort of person to consider the desert air something as enjoyable! Genuinely, the heroes of Eorzea are made of stern stuff!"

Kali turned to look over the Lalafell again, seeing his more learned form of dress. He blinked a few times, but shrugged. Surely his listeners had in their mind's eye a stalwart knight instead. And so, the show must go on!

He trotted over to another person. "You! Excuse me, my name is Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path! My linkpearl listeners want to know, what do YOU like most about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Melody - 01-09-2015

Melody was perched in her usual spot on the railing outside the Quicksand. She'd been writing in her notebook most of the morning undisturbed, but then off in the distance she thought she heard an explosion.

"What even?..." she muttered, looking around trying to see any blown up anythings.

All of a sudden, there was a link pearl attached to a stick hovering by her face and an odd outgoing Lalafell wanting to know what she liked about Ul'dah.

"Huh? That's a funny question..." She seemed wary of Kali, but decided it to just go with it.

"Let's see, favorite thing..." She looks off to the side with a finger on her chin, thinking. "I guess it'd have to be scent. Much better than having to breathe the scent of ocean like in Limsa." She crinkles her nose at the thought.

"Does that help your...whatever this is?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Ririla Rila - 01-09-2015

Liliro was doing her routine stroll through the quicksand, grabbing herself a lalafell-sized mug of warm water to enjoy, she journeyed outside to lean on the balcony, after having a difficult and unsuccessful morning scoping out potential marks for her morning work.

She sighs and soon relaxes, staring into space, daydreaming, when an outgoing Lalafell approaches her and sticks a linkpearl in her face, projecting his voice theatrically.

Quote:"You there! Hello! Kali Kalrath, Lalfell on the Path. Tell me, friend, what do YOU like about Ul'dah?"

Lili just blinked, unsure of what was going on or what she might need to do, she blinks at the Lalafell and tilts her head.

"I er.. Umm.. What?!"

she blinks again as the Lalafell awaits a response from her, she quickly thinks on her feet

"I umm.. I don't really know.." she taps her chin "Perhaps the wealth of the city? Or.. Umm... the queen! yes, yes the queen!" she beams with delight a moment but soon stops when she continues to have a linkpearl in her face.

"Ok.. Well.. D-do you mind umm.. moving that thing?!"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-09-2015

(01-09-2015, 12:53 PM)Melody Wrote: "Let's see, favorite thing...I guess it'd have to be scent. Much better than having to breathe the scent of ocean like in Limsa." She crinkles her nose at the thought.

"Does that help your...whatever this is?"

Kali beamed broadly at the response, nodding his head. "Oh, it most assuredly does, my lovely miss! Thank you!" He strolled off as he spoke into the pearlstick once more. "And her excellent point brings to mind that, though this linkpearl live broadcast is on the very edge of advancement, it can't bring to you the full bouquet of sensory experience that this vibrant city offers, including its smell!"

He smiled as he posed the same question to another Lalafell--there were an awful lot in the city today--and awaited her response.

(01-09-2015, 01:21 PM)Liliro Liro Wrote: "I er.. Umm.. What?!...I umm.. I don't really know.." she taps her chin "Perhaps the wealth of the city? Or.. Umm... the queen! yes, yes the queen!" she beams with delight a moment but soon stops when she continues to have a linkpearl in her face.

"Ok.. Well.. D-do you mind umm.. moving that thing?!"

Kali chuckled and kept his same grin at the reply from Liliro. "Well, it'd be in perhaps your best interest to understand that Nanamo Ul Namo isn't a queen per se, but a Sultana, and her rule of Ul'dah isn't quite as absolute as a monarchy. But, yes, I can certainly see that being a draw!"

He spun around, trotting off as he spoke further, pearlstick very nearly grazing the previous speaker's nose as his "talkywand"--the name for his device that he just now came up with--went back to his own mouth.

"It's been said that keeping tabs on the Sultanate and the many social goings-on of the higher classes is a sport in and of itself! These 'royal watchers' have been known to carry opinions of dress, mannerisms and success of festivities. Perhaps this is another avenue that your Lalafell on the Path can pursue! Or mayhap find one who'd be more versed to broadcast such information to you, my fine listeners? 'Tis food for thought indeed!"

Huh...expanding the programming beyond his own show. It did make sense....perhaps someday. Right now, Kali was on a roll and had to make foothold with this show first. He approached another adventurer, pearlstick aimed and practiced smile gleaming.

"Pardon me! I'm Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path. Would you be so kind as to tell those listening to this pearl right now...what do YOU like most about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Aris - 01-09-2015

Nimimi hesitated as the lalafell approached her. While waiting for her chocobo porter she'd been watching him making his way steadily up the high street, interviewing citizens with a bounce in his step that couldn't be deterred by the even the most bewildered reply.

He was getting closer. She looked around helplessly, trying to think of response.

Here he comes.

Isn't her porter ready yet?!

"You there! Hello! Kali Kalrath, Lalfell on the Path. Tell me, friend, what do YOU like about Ul'dah?"

"Um.."

The lalafell was grinning from ear to ear. His smile was so infectious she couldn't help but smile back, and realised her answer.

"Why, it's the people of course! When it comes down to it, you can always find someone willin' to help! And lots of hardworkin' folk like yourself!" Nimimi squeaked.

Show Content

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-11-2015

Kali blushed profusely at the compliment. It didn't really strike what he was doing as work...he had delusions of trailblazing, of building a linkpearl media empire but...work?

..hey, yea, it kinda is! Perhaps because he was enjoying himself it didn't feel like labor.

He sputtered his reply as his cheeks glowed rosy-red. "Pluh...eheh...why thank you, miss! Though...I'd be remiss in mentioning that there are far harder workers in this city than myself, of course! However, you have an excellent point! There is a sense of camaraderie about this town's dynamic, isn't there?"

He trotted off again, launching into another soliloquy. "Yes, dear listeners, please don't be deterred by talk of Monetarists and Refugees. Despite what divide may be between the pay scale of some, this is still a stirring pot of multiple people and various lives, all mingling and working together to shine the desert jewel of Ul'dah!"

During his miniature tirade, Kali had found himself standing on a ledge of one of the fountains, arm thrust skyward. His speech had drawn a small crowd, whom all applauded at the end. Kali could not have blushed harder.

"Oh...oh dear thank you--oh look, another adventurer! Excuse me! Pardon me, friend, I'm Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path. Would you kindly tell my pearl listeners what you like most about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - E'jusana - 01-12-2015

E'jusana came on an airship but a few short hours ago on her first trip to the busy and full city of Ul'dah. She had been extremely excited for this trip for quite some time now and had been saving every last gil she had to make the voyage.

She had spent most of her time so far wandering around sightseeing in the Gold Court but finally made her way towards the nearest staircase to visit the ever talked about "Quicksand."

As soon as she stepped out into the streets there were people everywhere! Ana looked left and right taking everything in with wide, excited eyes and a huge smile on her face.

Ana jumped back a bit as she heard a huge explosion sound out and echo though the streets. When she looked around to see what may have caused it, a large group of people caught her eye. With an excited expression she bounded off to see what was happening, not wanting to miss a single thing

As Ana made her way to the center of the crowd to see what all the commotion was about, there she saw a dashing Lalafell standing on the rim of a fountain giving a dynamic speech:
Quote:..dear listeners, please don't be deterred by talk of Monetarists and Refugees. Despite what divide may be between the pay scale of some, this is still a stirring pot of multiple people and various lives, all mingling and working together to shine the desert jewel of Ul'dah! Oh...oh dear thank you--oh look, another adventurer!
She clapped and jumped up and down exuberantly as he ended his speech cheering him on when all of a sudden the man was right in front of her saying
Quote: Excuse me! Pardon me, friend, I'm Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path. Would you kindly tell my pearl listeners what you like most about Ul'dah?
placing his linkpearl-on-a-stick near Ana's mouth waiting for her to answer.

Ana's eyes grew even wider with excitement as she opened to her mouth to answer "Oh, Mr. Kalrath, everything! This is my first time visiting but I just love the hustle and bustle and excitement of everything as soon as I walked off the airship! And you! I love you!" as she ended Ana planted a huge kiss on the cheek of the dashing Kali Kalrath, made a happy squeal and skipped off down the street to see more of the city.

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-14-2015

Kali's eyes grew about the size of dinner plates at the response, as well as the kiss to the cheek from the excited Miqo'te. His entire face turned a shade of rosy pink-red. His jaw hung slack like an eager nutcracker. The only thing that snapped him out of his reverie was the catcalling whistles and aah'ing noises from some of the onlookers.

"Ahehrum...well! Wow! Ah..." ,he stuttered. "A fresh-faced adventurer absolutely swirling in the sensations of Ul'dah, listeners! Ju...just goes to show you that quite literally anything can happen in this city!"

Kali made his way through the side doors of the Quicksand as he spoke into his talkywand further. "And it's easy to be swept up in it all, friends. If you can make me out through the noise, I have entered the Quicksand tavern proper, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a busier hub of activity! Just listen!"

Kali lifted his talkywand, slowly panning it across the air to broadcast the ambient chattering of the Quicksand before bringing it back to his mouth to speak further. "Let's see if perhaps we can gauge some of this establishment's patrons, shall we?"

"Oh no you don't!"

Kali spun around as the Mistress Momodi Herself appeared like a wraith behind Kali. He stood there in dumbfounded shock...which was all the sharp-tongued tavernmistress needed to dress him down.

"These folks are trying to achieve respite and work besides, and I'll not have some over-dressed little fop accosting them with his banter, entertaining though it may be. Y'hear?"

Kali blinked, then finally found the words to reply. "H-how did you--?"

Momodi smiled that smile, and tilted her head, pointing to the linkpearl in her ear. "What you do out in the streets is your business and not mine...but this? Here? IS my business, Mr. Kalrath." The smile kept on her face as she indicated the door to him.

Dejected, Kali walked out of the Quicksand and back to the street. "Well...I...suppose we'll just have to continue to bring the answers to you from here!" He swiftly perked himself back up and trotted up to another new adventurer.

"Excuse me! I'm Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path. Would you please tell our pearl listeners what you like most about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Roen - 01-15-2015

"Yes, dear listeners, please don't be deterred by talk of Monetarists and Refugees. Despite what divide may be between the pay scale of some, this is still a stirring pot of multiple people and various lives, all mingling and working together to shine the desert jewel of Ul'dah!"

Divide...between pay scale of some?

Roen stared in disbelief, her confounded expression hidden beneath the shadows of her cowl. She could not help but notice the crowd gathered by the fountain when she was passing by, all their attention on the Lalafell and his speech. But as she stopped and listened, she found herself crossing her arms and eventually frowning deeply. The struggles of the refugees and the poor were being simplified as to a mere pay scale difference. If someone knew nothing about Ul'dah, this Lalafell's speech would have them believe that everyone was working in harmony to bring about the improvement of the shining Jewel!

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The paladin was of the mind to give him her own take on things--it would be quite the departure from the cheerful responses he's gotten so far--when she saw him disappear into the Quicksand. That made her pause. Even as the doors swung closed behind him, she could hear the din of the general revelry drift through the entrance way. All those people, adventurers and merchants alike, mingling within hoping to find a moment's respite. Would she rail against his askew view of Ul'dah among them? A part of her wanted to correct the Lalafell, and vehemently so, to shed the light on his listeners about all things that were wrong with the city.

"In this city, the ones who know don't care, and the ones who care don't know." Those were the cynical words of an angry revolutionary. Was that what she was now?

As she continued to stare at the closed doors, her ire began to ebb away. What if the Lalafell just was unaware? A part of her did not want to shadow what light he saw in the Jewel. The optimism he held for the very possibility that people can work together. Before all this began with Nero, she would have wanted to believe the same. This place...it needed such hope.

That was when the doors swung open again and the Lalafell strode back out looking dejected, talky-wand in hand. So when he thrust it in front of her, it was with a measure of hesitation that she answered.

"Despite the divide that clearly exists between the have and the have-nots, I think it is admirable that people still look to this city with some faith. A chance at wealth, fame, and success exists here, however slim. But I would hope that those same people also look to those less fortunate to remind them of the same aspirations." She gave Kali a pointed look. "You said they were working together. Are they? Are you? Perhaps you should ask those in Pearl Lane what they think. Perhaps your listeners should hear how they can make this city even a better place than it is now. Do what they can to abolish that divide. Then I think the Jewel can be the brightest shining star in all of Eorzea."

The paladin straightened, putting some distance between her and the Lalafell. She knew she had given him more than he had expected, or even wanted. And if the wrong people were listening, this may even have been ill-advised on her part.

Roen gave a small polite nod to Kali, and strode toward the Gate of Nald.

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - Steel Wolf - 01-18-2015

Kali stood in shock, but kept his ground as the Sultansworn verbally dressed down his earlier speech. His mouth was a flat line, eyes looking up at the woman with a mixture of wonder and terror. It was the closest he'd been personally to one of the Royal Guard, let alone have one approach him to respond.

....best. Show. EVER.

"Well!" ,he replied into the talkywand after a pause which saw the woman march off. "Let it never be said, despite what papers will tell, that the Sultansworn are blind to the plights of the people in all of Ul'dah." He let out a sigh as the bubble of energy Roen was emitting was out of his sphere of personal influence.

"I should perhaps take this moment to clarify, my listeners. My earlier mention of this divide between the Monetarists and refugees was not meant to belittle the gravity of a very real situation. More to perhaps extol the virtues that built this city--of hard work and improving your fortunes. And it is this host's hope that those who want the most are able to make their way upwards in life."

His voice lowered to a bit of a mutter at this point: "...so long as those who hold the opportunities make them more openly available."

No, despite the Paladin's outburst, Kali was not entirely blind to all that befell Ul'dah. But that wasn't his focus. The city needed to be reminded of what makes it great. As did his listeners. Thus...

"Excuse me, friend! Hi, I'm Kali Kalrath, the Lalafell on the Path! Would you please tell my linkpearl listeners what you like most about Ul'dah?"

RE: [OPEN] Kali Kalrath, Lalafell on the Path - SilverWolfIMHP - 01-20-2015

The silver haired Miqo'te ear wiggled as he turned to the Lalafell that addressed him.  Sighing it was the price one pays to come to a populated area.  "That be a hard question to answer.  You see I just arrived here myself, even a skilled Miqo'te needs to buy supplies from time to time.  So for me at least this trip it will be the trade." 

He shifted his back pack adjusting its weight.  He was slightly smaller then the norm of his kind.  He was also proud of his heritage for he was still dressing in the Miqo'te style outfit when he ventured into towns.  "Menphina has written the history of the world past, present, and future into the stars.  One just needs to know how to read them to see what makes one who they are."

Eyeing the Linkpearl he nodded understanding the idea just why bother with doing such a thing.  Well guess some people can't entertain themselves.