Hydaelyn Role-Players
Photography in Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Photography in Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=9644)

Photography in Eorzea? - Kousagi - 01-12-2015

Does anyone know if it's possible? I mean in an oldschool way, sort of like the photography in Fable 2 or in Legend of Zelda. Probably something based more in fantasy than technology. I was thinking about making a character who carries around a camera and loves to take pictures of Eorzea, have them come out a bit sepia and old-timey through photoshop filters and throw it on tumblr. Do you think that'd be too out of place though?

Like, ideally, I'd want it to be small enough to carry around (which actually isn't like the one in F2 or Zelda...) and the camera that comes to mind is the Camera Obscura from Fatal Frame. It's old/steampunky enough in appearance. I figure if people ask, "But how technology?" we could explain it off as, "Aetheryte/Magic/We have mech suits."

Idk, what say you?

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Aduu Avagnar - 01-12-2015

With Magitek, I would say there is most certainly the possibility of such a thing existing. Could say it gets captured onto an Air Crystal/Shard whatever and then uses a device to etch the piece onto a sheet of thin wood? or something? you've gotten me thinking now.....

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Hyakki - 01-12-2015

There's a FATE in C. Thanalan where a little boy tells you that his father used to take him to see picture shows. Assuming picture show=movie, photography and film exist in Eorzea but are rare. I'll see if I can find my screenshots of the dialogue to post later.

EDIT: I don't have the screenshots. I don't remember the name but if anyone is curious, the FATE is at the Unholy Heir region of the map, you have to kill Orobon.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Kousagi - 01-12-2015

Ahh! You guys are lifesavers! ♥ Thank you for the info!

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Aduu Avagnar - 01-12-2015

Quote:Me da... Et by a 'bon, he were.
Now I wants 'em all dead, like. Wiv' crossy eyes like them as drawed in the picture shows. Da used to take me to the picture shows... before he was et. By a 'bon.
would be the dialogue.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - FreelanceWizard - 01-12-2015

As an additional point of reference, the Praetorium has what appears to be a real-time camera system in it; Cid uses that to track your progress through the fortress and provide aid remotely. So, with magitek, it seems you can get live video.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Cailean Lockwood - 01-12-2015

I love how the world is very medieval fantasy on some things, but has alot of modern twists to it. It makes it less stereotype Dungeons and Dragons / Tolkien Universe and more unique.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Kellach Woods - 01-12-2015

I wouldn't call it a movie but there's early picture shows that weren't exactly what we would call a movie that would fit with Eorzea's tech level. It'd also fit with the usage of the word "drawed".

Garlemald would, as mentioned before, likely have actual cameras.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Berrod Armstrong - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 02:01 AM)Nako Wrote:
Quote:Me da... Et by a 'bon, he were.
Now I wants 'em all dead, like. Wiv' crossy eyes like them as drawed in the picture shows. Da used to take me to the picture shows... before he was et. By a 'bon.
would be the dialogue.
I remember reading this and laughing so hard I had to stop for a moment to breathe and recover. I always assumed this referred to animation, with the x.x eyes.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Aya - 01-12-2015

I've wanted Photography to be a part of Eorzea, but it seems to me like it isn't.. at least not commonly.  But.. if it were..! That would be fun! ^^

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Mae - 01-12-2015

We had a quest in XI that basically had you running around taking Polaroid-style photos in Aht Urghan. Disregarding Garlean tech, XIV and XI have similar tech levels. Reading up on RL photography, we've had pinhole cameras in China since 4 BCE, although these did not take permanent pictures. And using techniques/concepts from The Book of Optics combined with materials discovered/observed about two hundred years later, photography has actually been possible since Medieval times.

Sooo... yeah. Take one philosopher, one mathematician, and one alchemist, add one pinhole camera. Pour in silver nitrate, shake, and expose to sunlight. No Garlean tech needed!

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Chris Ganale - 01-14-2015

There's also the magitek photocells strewn all over Toto-rak, but that seems more related to the barriers througout than photography.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Kinono - 01-14-2015

This is a fun idea and you should definitely do it! Imagine all the different reactions you could get from people who wouldn't be familiar or suspicious of the technology!

J-just don't get your camera broken. Some people may try to do that.

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 01-14-2015

As an additional confirmation on photography in Eorzea...

when a character finds a Sightseeing Vista, an old-timey photograph appears in the Sightseeing Log. It has an Eorzean signature on the bottom corner of the photograph, so it's safe to assume this is a canon, in universe thing.

[Image: 240px-Sightseeing_Log_-_001-Complete.png]

RE: Photography in Eorzea? - D'aito Kuji - 01-15-2015

(01-14-2015, 05:36 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: As an additional confirmation on photography in Eorzea...

when a character finds a Sightseeing Vista, an old-timey photograph appears in the Sightseeing Log. It has an Eorzean signature on the bottom corner of the photograph, so it's safe to assume this is a canon, in universe thing.

[Image: 240px-Sightseeing_Log_-_001-Complete.png]

Whenever I post pictures to my IC tumblr blog, I usually try to manipulate them to look old fashioned for this reason.