Hydaelyn Role-Players
2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) (/showthread.php?tid=9737)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Kellach Woods - 01-22-2015

SE not giving a fuck about their most interesting characters?

Yo that's a truism that harkens back from at least FF7.

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Steel Wolf - 01-22-2015

I will give Minf the benefit of the doubt, in that she wore a coat when she went to Coerthas. There's players who don't have that level of sense with the amount of skin they show.

(Yes, it's a completely silly gripe but for the purposes of the joke I'm swingin' that motherfluffer like a weapon)

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Gegenji - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 02:03 AM)Telluride Wrote: I wasn't crying: I was kinda raging.

I got to the end of the MSQ yesterday and I was... meh about the event. Mostly because I immediately started nitpicking Minfilia mid-cutscene.

"She's RIGHT THERE. You could STOP HER. Nope, she's LIMPING way too FAST for you to do anything. Just gonna stand there? Okay."

Seriously, I'm so over those scenes where everyone just... stands around and lets stuff happen. I know it had to happen because PLOT, but Minfilia could've done SOMETHING besides standing around in her ass-less skirt looking forlorn. Reach out to her, grab her and be pulled along anyway because you're a weak little hapless princess we have to always save - do SOMETHING.

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Kellach Woods - 01-22-2015

No, Minfillia couldn't do anything because then how would we know how fucking useless she is?

Also, Steel, I actually did that, IC. I'm never doing that again. Hypothermia ahoy.

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Steel Wolf - 01-22-2015

Well let's be honest here, too, our characters weren't much help either.

When Ascian Who I Can't Recall His Name To Save My Life opened that portal to suck up Minfy? You know, the slowest, most obvious portal in the world? What did your characters do?

Take a half-step and glower angrily at the portal.

Look, I'm not expecting Academy Award-winning drama from my MMO narratives, but...there's just silly shite all OVER the whole thing. I just try to take the good with the goofy. :3

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Telluride - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 09:00 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Well let's be honest here, too, our characters weren't much help either.

When Ascian Who I Can't Recall His Name To Save My Life opened that portal to suck up Minfy? You know, the slowest, most obvious portal in the world? What did your characters do?

Take a half-step and glower angrily at the portal.

Look, I'm not expecting Academy Award-winning drama from my MMO narratives, but...there's just silly shite all OVER the whole thing. I just try to take the good with the goofy. :3

True, but I'd given up on my cutscene character being allowed to act in any sort of intelligent or even really appropriate fashion, or else I'd just keep having flashbacks to TOR when I could actually choose how to act, or at least could mouth off a little, for better or for worse.

It does make certain comments about being a pawn, from a certain winged dragon, all the more annoying. Maybe it's that I don't have the same long-term history with FF that some people have, which seems to imbue some sort of reverence to the scaly fink, but I'm already naming my new little shoulder-bastard "Marysuesormr." All during the final cutscenes of Keeper, I just wanted my character to say, "Keep talking, scale-boy - It ain't changin' the fact that we whupped ya."

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Berrod Armstrong - 01-22-2015

As someone who writes adorable characters for the sole purpose of killing them horribly and ripping people apart, I can see what they did with Moenbryda (*takes a moment to sob loudly*). I understand too, the whole 'neither character did anything' from a storyteller's point of view -- the narrative needed to move on. It could be a bit of hastiness on their part; reducing the cutscene by not including any action to stop anyone, or a matter of 'Lol they'd probably all die if they did something'. 
I've always despised Minfilia -- but I also understand why she is as she is as well (placement wise). That too, after having to play both a 'quest giver', 'leader' and a 'DIPLOMAT'. I don't really LIKE it...but I get it.

It wrecked me, but I'm impressed with them for introducing someone we all enjoyed and then crushing her underfoot. I know that game well...Give us the feeeeeels. Yesssssss.

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Cato - 01-22-2015

I actually don't mind seeing characters killed off. I love tragedy as it brings an element of realism to a story. With that said, for those familiar with Dragon Age: Inquisition I feel like Minfilia would be much more interesting if she was more like Josephine.

She's another non-combatant who, whilst boasting very little combat experience, uses a silver tongue to aid her allies and talk her way out of trouble. Minfilia on the other hand seems to suffer from the dreaded trope of informed abilities painting her as this really great leader figure and yet little of that is actually shown in-game.

Though if I'm not wrong it's been said that the upcoming expansion is going to be fairly dark and the setting already boasts some pretty gruesome things here and there. Perhaps we'll see more gripping stuff as we move forward - the last few patches have certainly improved the storytelling quite a bit I think.

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Ixarien - 01-22-2015

Has anyone mentioned that the Ascian guy (whatever his name is, RIP) said something about how Elidibus would have been mad if he killed Minfilia outright? Who wants to bet Elidibus is her father or something?? Theories?

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Kage - 01-22-2015

I doubt that is really the case. Though now 1% of me wants it to be.

I imagine that the Ascians -despise- it when some detail does not go according to plan. They like to play at being puppet masters. Hence, Minfilia and yourself play in one/some of theirs. Elidibus was quite fine letting you live. Same for Minfilia. I assume he has plans and if Nabriales killed Minfilia it would cut his plans a bit.

(01-22-2015, 01:25 PM)Ixarien Wrote: Has anyone mentioned that the Ascian guy (whatever his name is, RIP) said something about how Elidibus would have been mad if he killed Minfilia outright? Who wants to bet Elidibus is her father or something?? Theories?

I doubt that. Even though the Ascians are a singular group working towards a final purpose, they all appear to have their own theories on how to get the job done...like Organization XIII with similarly fragmented personalities and similarly bad fashion choice.

Elidibus is probably waiting for some opportune moment that requires Minfy to do a thing or lead the Scions to something or who the hell knows? These evil groups are just all convoluted and goofy fun...ESPECIALLY when you talk about Final Fantasy evil organizations.

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - TheLastCandle - 01-22-2015

I think what gave me "feels," more so than Moenbryda's loss, was Urianger's reaction. This is a guy who never shows any emotion, but his words after Moenbryda's death were just.. striking.

Also, not to spoil anything, but did anyone else think to go and talk to him at the Waking Sands after completing the quests?

Sad

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Ixarien - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 01:32 PM)Kage Wrote: I doubt that is really the case. Though now 1% of me wants it to be.

I imagine that the Ascians -despise- it when some detail does not go according to plan. They like to play at being puppet masters. Hence, Minfilia and yourself play in one/some of theirs. Elidibus was quite fine letting you live. Same for Minfilia. I assume he has plans and if Nabriales killed Minfilia it would cut his plans a bit.

It seems also that the Ascians are grooming the PC for something big. Minfilia also possesses the Echo. Maybe they are similarly interested in her for that reason?

RE: 2.5 SPOILER THREAD (Do not enter unless you have completed 2.5 Story!) - Berrod Armstrong - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 01:37 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: I think what gave me "feels," more so than Moenbryda's loss, was Urianger's reaction. This is a guy who never shows any emotion, but his words after Moenbryda's death were just.. striking.

Also, not to spoil anything, but did anyone else think to go and talk to him at the Waking Sands after completing the quests?

Sad
When his voice cracked I just flung my arms at the monitor screaming 'COME HERE YOU POOR MAN'. His reaction tugged at me hard. I really really enjoyed it. Also, I did! I ended up talking to everyone, since I do that obsessively >.>.

(01-22-2015, 01:41 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 01:37 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: I think what gave me "feels," more so than Moenbryda's loss, was Urianger's reaction. This is a guy who never shows any emotion, but his words after Moenbryda's death were just.. striking.

Sad
When his voice cracked I just flung my arms at the monitor screaming 'COME HERE YOU POOR MAN'. His reaction tugged at me hard. I really really enjoyed it. Also, I did! I ended up talking to everyone, since I do that obsessively >.>.

Me too. Bioware taught me this xD