Hydaelyn Role-Players
Soo.. Hi there! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Soo.. Hi there! (/showthread.php?tid=9779)

Soo.. Hi there! - Technic164 - 01-24-2015

Hello, hello.

Been playing for a couple days now, wanting to get a class to level 20 for my personal 'RP-able Threshold' comfort zone. Dunno why I do it, just makes me feel comfortable again.

Now I'm eager to try and get myself into the RP Community for FFXIV, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here!

But I have a couple of hangups still.

I think I'm having a lot of trouble picking up on Lore for this game, the usual stuff really, like race mannerisms, common terms used in conversation, that sort of stuff. I've already read up that chilling in the Quicksand is a good way to get a feel for things, just I suppose I should just sit back and find a well written wiki on everything, huh?

My other big hangup really, is that while I can chat for hours on end OOC, when I try to slip In Character I lock up in 'meeting new people' situations. Which for this game would include just about everyone.

So kind of curious how anyone else who might have that problem sort of.. deals with it? I'm not sure how to word it, how to get around just nervousnessly locking up and just not being able to get involved.

Other than that, I do hope to make some friends and get myself involved in this Community, see you all around in game.

Oh right, my Main is a Miqo'te named Technic Foxtale, which I'm pretty sure doesn't follow any of the normal naming mechanics so I hope no one jumps down my throat about that.

RE: Soo.. Hi there! - Aaron - 01-24-2015

Sup yo. 

My advice is just jump in. It's what I did, and a lot of people eventually knew about me. To this day I get the odd hey or so from people I don't even know in game lol (still love those people <3) and some even commented on my name change who I've never really talked with. Makes me feel loved XD. 

But yeah just dive right in, I started out rping a drunk. Literally all I could think to rp as because I had nothing else to go on. The personality and backstory etc came around a month later.

Anyway welcome, if ya need a buddy just lemme know yo.

RE: Soo.. Hi there! - Enzo - 01-24-2015

Hello! Welcome to the community. It is good to get a few levels on your character as that allows more clothing for your character to wear during role play. You also can't go from city to city very easily until level 15.

When it comes to your hang ups? i would suggest reading The Role-Playing handbook here on the forums. More specifically its "The Lore, How to use it" It should give a pretty basic idea. There is not too many different speech mannerisms beyond lengths of time and space (Hours are bells, Days are Suns, then I think yalms is feet? (Or is that fulm? Q_Q) Not everyone knows these perfectly. But you can cross reference on the guide on the handbook.

For your meeting new people situation I think it helps to communicate OOC with people and I am sure they're plenty of people assertive enough to take the lead and try to get you OUT of that new people zone. By introducing you to their friends for you, if you do anything -interesting- the word can spread about you or if you are some kind of craftsmen or salesman. Although there is a certain level of newbie ness you can't help. So I would just inform the role players you are interacting with that this is a problem you have and to please bear with you/help you out during role play, most players have no quarrels helping a newbie role player.

The most surefire way I can think of getting out of newbie status with everyone is by making relations on the forums here and connecting your characters back story to other people or even getting involved in their plots. It can be something as insignificant as a guy they met while traveling to something as close as a sister/brother, childhood friend, ect. But that is not for everyone (For an example. I am an unreliable person filling character roles. So I just make my own unincluded back stories.) But the closer you make your character to someone elses, the easier it is to jump straight into none introductory role play. That is what the Making Connections thread on the forums is for (And for making present day connections when looking for a certain job role filled or just trying to meet people)

When I get back into the game I will start role playing a fairly social traveler and can help you get into role play if you want and meet some people.

RE: Soo.. Hi there! - Ligardian Dreamer - 01-24-2015

Welcome! "May the path in the light of the crystal" be filled with many memories and experiences!

RE: Soo.. Hi there! - Cocotsu - 01-25-2015

I had lock up issues when I first started RPing. I found that OOCly deciding a few things with the other RPer before the actual RP helped me out and got a feel for things. Now I can just meet people IC and roll =)

RE: Soo.. Hi there! - Faye - 01-25-2015

Hello there, welcome to Balmung and the RPC! \o/ As for learning the lore, you can find a lot of lore resources here on the wiki and forums, as well as on the FFXIV lodestone forums and throughout the magical land of Google! Most of it, though, will just be learned through quest text as you level, so I'd recommend just reading and not skipping cutscenes!