Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hmm...Hello... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hmm...Hello... (/showthread.php?tid=9828)

Pages: 1 2

Hmm...Hello... - Desu Nee - 01-28-2015

I'm really shy about this, especially when I lack any real experience in RPing inside of FFXIV. I have 5-6 rping experience in other places like RP Forums and IRC Channels but I never done it in a game properly, so hmm...would be really nice to have a start, and I heard about the rping community in FXIV and have been really curious, unfortunately I'm in Midgarsdsorm so I will probably have to transfer to Balmund, but I don't mind that as much as the fact I will have to leave friends I regularly play, but then again I really want to rp.
I also will need to change the name of my char to something more...serious, because really, she's a Lalafel named Desu Nee, and build a backstory....

So yeah, nice to meet everybody, and I would appreciate some tips on what level should I be to be able to rp more, and I know I also need to make a page on the wiki right?

So yeah, nice to meet everybody!Moogle

(This was horrible, by the twelve)

RE: Hmm...Hello... - Desu Nee - 01-28-2015

Unless like, I make another similar character...

RE: Hmm...Hello... - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

Hello! Getting onto Balmung is the toughest raid in the game currently, but it's allegedly worth it!

I wouldn't worry about a wiki until you have a concept for a character. If you've got one of those already, that's great! You also don't need to worry too much about what level you are; Besides being locked out of some gear, you're not very likely to find folks unwilling to write with you on account of not being 50 and geared out or anything. I've got a level 10ish alt that's still wearing starter clothing that some people have taken a shining to.

Leaving behind friends is always hard. Have you considered just making an alt over here or over there so you've got a point of contact? Or were you just picking up and moving over to Balmung? Regardless of your decision, I hope you wind up happy with the results! Let us know if you manage to land a spot here!

RE: Hmm...Hello... - Steel Wolf - 01-28-2015

...kawaaaaaiii~!

Heh, sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Well here's the thing...on the one hand it sucks to abandon your friends. On the other you have to weigh what you're doing with them and how often you're doing it against your want to RP. It'd likely mean the difference between transferring your character and rolling new.

...though should you want to RP and play with your friends it will likely be FAR less of a headache to transfer your Lala over and roll new with your friends' server. Balmy and Gilgy have been....very difficult to chip in to when brand new.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your time here. If nothing else, you can get some forum RP going on here to scratch that itch. Welcome to the RPC!

So I should tranfer my character and make a new on the server I am...maybe I'll do that, I really love rping, and my friends are already 50 fucking everything, seriously he's an old timer on FFXI. It wouldn't be so much as leaving them hanging, and more of me being kind of a dick, and trading them for a bunch of other people.

Which is ironic, since one of them is in the same IRC RP Group as me and was the one who introed me in the game, so there's that. I would ask him to come with me, but then HE would be leaving his friends too and the dickery gets bigger.

I don't have a problem with making a character concept really, I'm a quick thinker and already got some basics, it's more of my dilemma between playing with friends or finding a rp group. Since today FFXIV is going to maintenance, I suppose I have a day to decide. Sorry if my english sucks, I'm actually from SA Blush

Your writing reads fine to me, so don't worry about that.

With the maintenance window looming, why not try to get your alt here at level 1? Right before/right after is usually the best time, so you might be able to save your money and leave your 50 on Midgar while getting to test out the environment on Balmung.

I'm not even 50 still, I could have been but I got sidetracked by the amount of content the game has, used to the whole can't ever be other class than your own, as well as kinda being new to the game, only got a month and a half. I'm 40 WHM, 40 Scholar, 20 Thaumaturge and starting archer.
I seriously should finish the story quest before focusing on other classes. And here I am getting sidetracked again.

Roleplay does a good job of that. We've all lost entire nights to good chat sessions or stories suddenly off on tangents. It's part of the appeal, really: Limitless user-generated content!

Yeah don't I know that...I guess I'll do it after, I have a day to decide!

Meanwhile I'll read the FAQ and stuff, thanks for the help, and bearing with me!

Quicksand is the place I gotta go right?

(01-28-2015, 10:01 AM)Desu_Nee Wrote: Yeah don't I know that...I guess I'll do it after, I have a day to decide!

Meanwhile I'll read the FAQ and stuff, thanks for the help, and bearing with me!

Quicksand is the place I gotta go right?

You don't have to go there, but it's a hotbed of people hanging out in-character. If you're playing a starting class in Ul'dah, it'll allow you to jump in right away without needing to do story quests or running across the continent.

RE: Hmm...Hello... - Steel Wolf - 01-28-2015

And to bookend Ser Castille, nobody in an RP environment really cares about your level. You can be a character without a number floating above your head. :3

But I almost forgot there is a maintenance window today, that's right. If you can make some character and save the information then try to hack your way in about five minutes before or after the maintenance you might be able to have your alt into Balmung and keep your other character with your friends.

RE: Hmm...Hello... - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-28-2015

Hi! Welcome to RPC.

As the others have said, I'd probably recommend tryign to get an alt on Balmung first, before leaving your friends. Get a feel for the server first. See if it's got the type of community you're looking for.

If you've got questions about RPing in an MMO, or how most people seem to do it here, please ask us! There are a LOT of resources for nearly everything. (and I've got this post of a bunch of common text commands somewhere...)

--

Side note: leveling alternate classes become a LOT easier once you hit 50 with one. You'll get EXP boosts. Now if you're cycling through the Main Scenerio Questline with them, that's probably still the best EXP out there, since it's large amounts for enjoying the game's cutscenes. And it gives you lore tidbits which you'll find helpful for character concepts and overall feel for the game.

Wow you guys are so helpful, you don't need to do so much I thought everyone would just say hi and be on their way Blush

I'm hogging enough attention, I already got a character set up to Balmung and if I really like I'll probably switch my other char there, albeit that's less unlikely, I'll probably just mention her on this one storyline!

Just a plot question, is there an age gap where guilds accept new members? Cause this character is underaged...

(01-28-2015, 10:53 AM)Desu_Nee Wrote: Wow you guys are so helpful, you don't need to do so much I thought everyone would just say hi and be on their way Blush

I'm hogging enough attention, I already got a character set up to Balmung and if I really like I'll probably switch my other char there, albeit that's less unlikely, I'll probably just mention her on this one storyline!

Just a plot question, is there an age gap where guilds accept new members? Cause this character is underaged...

There's nothing to dictate that 18 (or 16, or 21) are "Adult" ages in Eorzea (to my knowledge). You could always just have your character lie about it.

And we try to be helpful! Before too long Ligardian's going to be in here with the copy/paste welcome and I wanted to try and provide something a bit more prior to that! We're a pretty helpful bunch (when work allows some of us, and we're not bickering in other threads) most of the time.

RE: Hmm...Hello... - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-28-2015

Being helpful is fun! (So really, please ask away anytime. Some people are crazy like my and subscribe to every thread they post in just in case)

For ages, I think Warren summed it up well.

And if a guild doesn't accept your character based on age? You could always try to RP as an apprentice! How else do people learn things in this Medieval-esque setting? There's no formla/organized/required education, since SE's Lore team has said that most common people are illiterate. [Adventurer's aren't common people. And I'd say anyone with a job/career/not raising crops and livestock on a farm/etc probably aren't 'common' either, using such a definition.]