Hydaelyn Role-Players
So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. (/showthread.php?tid=9840)

Pages: 1 2 3

So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Du'lance Fiourtune - 01-28-2015

Hey guys!

As I've posted more than once about being new to FFXIV and role-play, I wont spend much time on that, it should be pretty clear from just that lol.

I'm having a really hard time building up a backstory and the motivations I want my character to have.

I would appreciate it if someone pretty familiar to the lore of both the game and Miqo'te, would want to help me out developing a fun character to play, but yet doesn't offend the lore.

Below I posted a few details about my character. I studied the Miqo'te names last night and as to my knowledge, the name is acceptable according to the lore.

1: Male Miqo'te. Keeper of the Sun. Name: M'iraak Nuhn.

2: Class is Archer/Bard and will be picking up a few other classes/jobs for a "jack of all trades" kinda guy.

3. Kind of wanting a pirate kind of RP. I love the water IRL and have my own boat and such, plus love to fish and I'm fascinated with Pirates all the way around.

I don't know if this matters, but I've yet to actually role-play much with anyone, other than messing around in the Quicksand. This due in part to not knowing how to proceed with my character, hence feeling I was incapable with RPing with anyone.

Hope this isn't to much to ask and thanks to those who have advice to give, thanks!

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Atoli - 01-28-2015

I think probably the most important thing to first designate when figuring out what to do with your miqo'te would be, why is he a nuhn but not with his tribe? I've seen very, very creative reasons in the past, but as this is unmentioned, I think it should really be explained! Everything else sounds fine so far as well. :D

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Faye - 01-28-2015

Hey there! Big Grin The first thing you want to do in making a character is deciding the... trope(s) you want your character to play, for lack of a better way to put it. And from the sounds of it you've got that figured out (Miqo'te, pirate, bard/archer, jack of all trades), so you already have a good base! From this point, it's just figuring out the how's and why's.

1. Like Atoli mentioned, how is your character a Nunh while being out and about? Why did he leave his tribe? (For this one, you may need some creative reasoning to work around the lore).

2. Why did your character decide to become an archer/bard? How did he learn? (The same questions go for his other/future jobs/classes!)

3. How and why did your character become a pirate? I'm guessing that would put your character primarily based in Limsa. How and why did your character end up Limsa Lominsa?

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Du'lance Fiourtune - 01-28-2015

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have some ideas about that, but they kinda all hinge on what is acceptable, and un-acceptable in a RPers world.

I know "my game play as I want" but I want to be taken seriously when I try to RP with someone. Maybe I'm just being overly critical.....

EDIT: So a Miqo'te pirate isn't like a NO-NO or anything? Just curious, haven't seen to many Miqo'te playing pirate themes.

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Verad - 01-28-2015

Have a goal. Not a long-term one like avenging the death of your dead relative, although those are of course nifty. A short-term one. Something that requires you to approach strangers and ask for help. This is more important than your character's backstory and initial personality, which can be fleshed out as necessary, and which people will generally presume you have, but are keeping under wraps until proven otherwise. A goal will get you RPing more quickly and efficiently than a personality.

Do not worry about offending the lore; it is a half-understood collection of facts and speculation, and despite a number of experiments on my part I've found you can't offend such things. People will have particular spins on the lore in the many (many, many) grey areas, and they can be offended, it's true, but is it really worth fussing over that concern?

(01-28-2015, 07:01 PM)Miraak Nuhn Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

I have some ideas about that, but they kinda all hinge on what is acceptable, and un-acceptable in a RPers world.

I know "my game play as I want" but I want to be taken seriously when I try to RP with someone. Maybe I'm just being overly critical.....

EDIT: So a Miqo'te pirate isn't like a NO-NO or anything? Just curious, haven't seen to many Miqo'te playing pirate themes.

Nope, Miqo'te pirates are perfectly fine! I have one in my FC, even and I think you see a couple NPC's in game! The only issue there is that for Seekers, they'd have to leave their tribe--either temporarily/physically, or wholly/permanently--to sail the seas, especially in the case of a Nunh.

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Melkire - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:05 PM)Verad Wrote: Have a goal. Not a long-term one like avenging the death of your dead relative, although those are of course nifty. A short-term one. Something that requires you to approach strangers and ask for help. This is more important than your character's backstory and initial personality, which can be fleshed out as necessary, and which people will generally presume you have, but are keeping under wraps until proven otherwise. A goal will get you RPing more quickly and efficiently than a personality.

Seconding this. A short-term goal is the difference between a character becoming a dynamic, evolving entity in its own right and said character lounging about hotspots all day waiting for something good to happen to them, a.k.a.:

Quote:I've yet to actually role-play much with anyone, other than messing around in the Quicksand. This due in part to not knowing how to proceed with my character, hence feeling I was incapable with RPing with anyone.

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Chris Ganale - 01-28-2015

I'm not up on my Limsa lore because I only half pay attention to cutscenes that take place there but there's like a dozen miqo'te throughout the Maelstrom, and I want to say I saw an NPC miqo in a pirate crew somewhere in either a seasonal event o...Oh, it's the quest to get the dance from Limsa. Female miqo in that pirate crew.

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - FreelanceWizard - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:01 PM)Miraak Nuhn Wrote: So a Miqo'te pirate isn't like a NO-NO or anything? Just curious, haven't seen to many Miqo'te playing pirate themes.

It's not a no-no at all. One of the NPCs in the Rogue quest line (V'kebbe) used to be a pirate before she joined up with the Sisters.

An important question is whether you're a pirate legally sanctioned by Maelstrom Command (what we would call a privateer) or someone out on their own. The Rogue quests go into the difference, but essentially, a sanctioned pirate attacks enemies of Limsa Lominsa only -- Garleans, largely -- and is allowed to operate more or less in the open. An unsanctioned one is an enemy of the state and will be targeted by the Maelstrom and by the Sisters (the Rogues' guild) if they violate their code. So, it's really a question of what side of the law you want to be on.

(01-28-2015, 07:06 PM)Faye Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 07:01 PM)M Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

Nope, Miqo'te pirates are perfectly fine! I have one in my FC, even and I think you see a couple NPC's in game! The only issue there is that for Seekers, they'd have to leave their tribe--either temporarily/physically, or wholly/permanently--to sail the seas, especially in the case of a Nunh.
But isn't a Miqo'te who leaves the tribe technically a Nunh? What with the whole leaving the tribe, start you're own kinda thing?

Negative. They only can be considered a nunh if they're actively trying to start their own. Miqo's who quit their tribe can either keep their tia title or drop it entirely in favor of an actual surname. R'tahz kept the tia title because he's unimaginative and couldn't think of a surname, nor did he really actually care. He's just started to consider that his actual surname or something like that.

So basically I have to find a way to create my own tribe to keep Nunh lore friendly? That sounds complicated....

(01-28-2015, 07:09 PM)Miraak Nunh Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 07:06 PM)Faye Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 07:01 PM)M Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

But isn't a Miqo'te who leaves the tribe technically a Nunh? What with the whole leaving the tribe, start you're own kinda thing?

Sort of! If he's actively trying to build a new tribe, he'd definitely be considered a Nunh, though the lore does state female Seekers won't often be impressed and willing to join a tribe by a Nunh who had to leave to make his own tribe. But were he making his own, he'd probably need a different prefix for his name (since the "M" tribe is already their own, existing tribe and he'd be making a new tribe separate from them).

Some who leave also keep the title of Tia, or drop their tribal name altogether and rename themselves. But! There's nothing stopping a Seeker who left his tribe from calling himself a Nunh (he doesn't have a tribe anymore to tell him what he can or can't call himself, after all). It may draw the ire of other Seekers in character, but that's the fun of RP! From my experience, it may still bother some pushy RPers OOC, but I wouldn't let that sway you. It's an IC decision for your character to call himself a Nunh, and it doesn't actually conflict with any lore.

Not technically. If your guy was the actual nunh of his tribe and for whatever reason decided to peace out, no one is going to force him to stop calling himself that. Well, some might try to, but that might make for some interesting RP, yes? Keeping the title would mean having to explain that "yes, I actually was a nunh, no, I left my tribe, no, I still keep the title because it sounds pretty" or whatever his reasoning is.

RE: So I need a major hand at this RP thing. - Melkire - 01-28-2015

WHOA WHOA WHOA TIME OUT.

1. Only tribal Seeker of the Sun societies have the tia/nunh roles.

2. "Nunh" is nothing more than a distinction bestowed upon certain Seeker males by Seeker females that they are fit for breeding. There is no leadership, tribal dominance, or anything of the sort inherent in the "nunh" role; it just so happens that the nunh of the U tribe in the Main Story Quest happens to find himself in both the nunh and the leadership role.

3. "Tia" is basically the default role/title/name for Seeker males who are not yet acknowledged as Nunh, i.e. not fit to breed. The whole concept has some symmetry with African lions - again, minus the leadership and tribal dominance aspects.

4. If a Miqo'te character is not of a tribal culture, doesn't adhere to a tribal culture, or doesn't acknowledge their heritage in any way, then they most likely wouldn't use either "nunh" or "tia". You'll see plenty of "urbanized" Seekers without these.

5. That said, there's nothing stopping an urban Seeker from becoming infatuated with tribal culture and taking it upon themselves to adopt either "Tia" or "Nunh" as their name. I've met quite a few roleplayers who've done just that.

EDIT: I got ninja'd within a mere minute. That was fast. I'm too slow #sonic