Hydaelyn Role-Players
So I need help with this char idea... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: So I need help with this char idea... (/showthread.php?tid=9842)

Pages: 1 2

So I need help with this char idea... - Desu Nee - 01-28-2015

It's kinda blunt and distasteful looking but bear with me, I wanna know if it clashes with any lore or such...

She is the youngest daughter of an once very wealthy dunesfolk, owner of many mines around the Eastern Thanalan. She was born with Albiness, so her hair and skin are really bleach white and her eyes red. In the desert enviromnent of Thanalan, this irritated her skin and eyes a lot so she spent a lot of her life sheltered and using full body clothes. She played with her brothers and sisters and some sons and daughters from her father friends. She never really knew her mother, which left them some days before the calamity and after having her, claiming she was tired of the settled life and left, leaving only the starter Thaumatist Staff, which she used as a toy and to pretend she was a mage when she was young, getting chuckles from her 6 brothers and 5 sisters (Really big Family, even though her father was a single kid).

The Calamity whoever, devastated their properties and the life of the patriarch, which died going in and out of the flaming, ruined mansion to make sure they escaped well, and she was only 9 when it happened. Without money or family, the family became refugees since then, which made her treatment even more complicated. Since most of the family knew the ropes, they eventually went their separate ways, and she was cruelly left for dead at 14, claiming life was harsh and they couldn't afford her special treatment and another mouth to feed. Devastasted she just...stayed there, on the desert, holding the Thaumaturge Staff until someone, could be a character here or maybe her mother and didn't recognized her found her. Asked them if they were a Thaumaturge and she said she had no idea. They housed her for a while, gave all the information she needed, fake documents to lie about her age and sent her to Ul'dah to the Thaumaturge Guilds, claiming that in rough time like these, she needed to be strong and make her name. Inspired by the generosity,she went.

She is kinda quiet and distant, since she was quite sheltered, but she is very compassionate, specially since she's so young, and have to keep the facade of an adult, but she has a talent for magic, and an inner rage at her family for doing what they did to her, which just translates into more power for her spells. She avoids being the center of attention, but is generally nice, even if really naive. She also lies a lot, straight faced, and can be kinda greedy, probably down from her family. She is travelling around with the objective of knowing about her mother, furthering her strength to not be weak anymore, and to rebuild the name of their family, even though she is actually not a good merchant due to the fact she CANT handle crowds well.

She also hates Ul'dah, because the sand makes irritates her skin and eyes, and the brightness of the place hurts her eyes, so she avoids staying on the desert too long, and a life-dream is to have a home in Gridania, where there is definetly NO sand, albeit she also went on Mist when she was a girl and loved it.

Any thoughts? I'm camping to a spot on the legacy server since this is where people are going.

[Image: sbeibsx.jpg]

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Du'lance Fiourtune - 01-28-2015

I don't much know the lore of this game to well, I have a similar post right below yours, but this seems very well done!

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Sounsyy - 01-28-2015

All seems fine lore-wise. ^^

I don't think your character would need to lie about her age though. We've inferred that the tenuous age of adulthood in Ul'dah is 16 summers, however, we don't know if being under 16 would bar someone from a trade. It's very likely that the Order of Nald'thal would take an under-aged acolyte.

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Faye - 01-29-2015

It all sounds fine to me! Welcome to the RPC! Big Grin

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - T'shina - 01-29-2015

It sounds pretty legit to me.

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Gegenji - 01-29-2015

(01-28-2015, 09:57 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: We've inferred that the tenuous age of adulthood in Ul'dah is 16 summers, however, we don't know if being under 16 would bar someone from a trade.

And yet Chachan still lies about being 19 to seem like MORE of an adult, despite acting even less like one...

On the topic of the character idea, you have quite a lot of hooks and nuances there that seem like good launching points for all sorts of interactions and adventures.

I would note, though, that Dunesfolk actually have a protective eye film that is specifically for dealing with the glare and sands of the desert. Of course, perhaps lacking that is a part of her Albiness, which would be an interesting approach to it since albinism usually also involves vision problems (and having a weaker or nonexistent vision-related trait would fit quite well).

... I mostly just know that because I have an albino Lalafell NPC and checked the related thread here and a couple other minor references. Rather than missing eye film, he has terrible vision and has to correct that with lenses. Your character might suffer that as well, and would give ample excuse to wear one of the many various types of glasses available in the game!

Still, food for thought, I hope... and the best of luck in getting onto the server (if you haven't managed to get in already)!

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Desu Nee - 01-29-2015

I did, and yes she lacks the film. The desert is really not a wealthy enviromnent for her, which is why she wants so much to go to Limsa or Gridania. Albeit she would still return to the Quicksand once in a while, the owner was so nice to her ; u ;

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Caspar - 01-29-2015

I have only one thing to say about your character concept.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, I like the idea of sort of going against the grain in regards to Ul'dah mercantile culture. It will be interesting to see her attempt to force herself into it despite her naturally timorous behavior, and her condition, which would make it hard to go out at times.

(01-29-2015, 11:19 AM)Desu Nee Wrote: Albeit she would still return to the Quicksand once in a while, the owner was so nice to her ; u ;

Everyone loves Momodi. There's even a LS for all her friends!

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Cliodhna Eoghan - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 11:05 AM)Gegenji Wrote: And yet Chachan still lies about being 19 to seem like MORE of an adult, despite acting even less like one...

like ordering juice at a bar? xD
[Image: Cheese_likes_Apple_Juice_by_whaddevah.gif]

getting back on topic...i think this is a really interesting idea and can't wait to see how it plays out. :3

also i imagine some sunglasses would be useful in this situation.

(01-29-2015, 03:46 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 11:05 AM)Gegenji Wrote: And yet Chachan still lies about being 19 to seem like MORE of an adult, despite acting even less like one...

Ramza Beoulve totally ordered milk at a bar. There's precedence. Cactuar

And yes, more people need to be rockin' shades. Chachan has a pair for going in-keg-neato!

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Caspar - 01-29-2015

getting back on topic...i think this is a really interesting idea and can't wait to see how it plays out. :3

also i imagine some sunglasses would be useful in this situation.
I'd make fun of him too, but my character drinks heated milk and goes to bed early.

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Cliodhna Eoghan - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 03:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

And yes, more people need to be rockin' shades. Chachan has a pair for going in-keg-neato!
you know i only tease with luv x3
(01-29-2015, 03:50 PM)Caspar Wrote: I'd make fun of him too, but my character drinks heated milk and goes to bed early.
.......how old is your character? cause when chachan ordered that juice i seriously had to ask him ooc how old he was xD

RE: So I need help with this char idea... - Desu Nee - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:11 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 03:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

you know i only tease with luv x3
(01-29-2015, 03:50 PM)Caspar Wrote: I'd make fun of him too, but my character drinks heated milk and goes to bed early.
.......how old is your character? cause when chachan ordered that juice i seriously had to ask him ooc how old he was xD
You may joke her now, but as time passes we'll see who looks better when old age comes :U

(01-29-2015, 04:19 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: You may joke her now, but as time passes we'll see who looks better when old age comes :U

[Image: old.jpg]