Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial relationships - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial relationships (/showthread.php?tid=9863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Racial relationships - Leomoon - 01-30-2015

So I was just thinking about this but how do you all think cross races dating is seen? Like a Roegadyn and a Miqo'te? or a Hyur and Elezen? or even a Lalafel and a Mqio'te?

It's just something I have been thinking, How are this races seen as lovers, is it normal? Is it strange?

RE: Racial relationships - Aduu Avagnar - 01-30-2015

We see a hyur and miqo give out tge wanderers palace quests, and there is a human trying to woo Momodi in the delivery quests. So thdy are thrre, however theh seem rare?

RE: Racial relationships - Maril - 01-30-2015

Well, I know that between the seeker/keeper clan it's widely frowned upon, to the point that off-spring with mixed blood are shunned away. 
I think it really comes down to how tolerant your character is and what they've been exposed to, what their culture is.. I'd imagine Ishgardians would frown upon any relation with a "heretic" and probably most people would be uncomfortable with a roegadyn/lala couple. 
But at the same time you may have like a hyur that had seen plenty of odd couples and might not mind all that much.
Out of my characters, none of them really have major negative thoughts about mixed couples, but he is secretly ashamed of being related to a keeper/seeker mix offspring that is his half-sister. He'd never say it out loud though, ever.

RE: Racial relationships - Warren Castille - 01-30-2015

As Sastra mentioned, a lot of it has to do with cultural upbringing. If we stick to the canon lore for adventurers (that is, that we're not from around here anyway) it doesn't make a lot of sense to carry Eorzean biases with them. Anyone playing a native, though, is going to have grown up amidst the sometimes-fanatic racism and politicking that are prevalent in the society.

Of course, there's always going to be free thinkers who buck off that sort of mentality and just mesh with people they want to, but there is strong reinforcement to stick to your own kind: Ala Mhigan Highlanders tend to stick together as the collective outsiders on the continent, all stripes of Elezen have their own racial biases that make them all think they're superior and everyone else is below them, miqo'te of a tribal bent all believe that mating outside of the tribe/clan weakens them, etcetera.

I'm generalizing, of course, but there ARE racial tensions in Eorzea. Adventurers tend to not care as much, is all.

RE: Racial relationships - Kellach Woods - 01-30-2015

I'd think among the City-States it wouldn't be all that uncommon that such romances would be attempted. However, attempts don't mean successes and I'd wager it'd be more common among adventurers than anyone else.

The two races I could see have a problem in general with interracial relationships are Elezen and Miqo'te. Funnily enough, they're the two races who's two "clans" had direct opposition in their history (WW/DW feud over the pact with the Elementals, Keeper/Seeker thing that might have happened but I don't know Miqo history).

And even then, you have societal norms to consider as well - I'd say there's more of a chance between an Ishgardian Elezen and Hyur to shack up together (all vs. the dragons) than the same combination in, say, Gridania.

Lalas would likely be the race that have the least problems.

RE: Racial relationships - Kage - 01-30-2015

It was said in the lore panel that the biggest obstacle was the cultural racial divide. Hyur and Elezen were specufically mentioned by Fern that the two races were recently at war with each other. I think I remember correctly when they stated that it was a hyurxelezen relationship that would be in the future in Heavensward that PCs would see reactions to.

It's implied or outright stated by the Hyur and Miqo'te fay couple that hand out the Wanderer's Palace HM quests that the reason they were essentially stigmatized is not because they are fay but because they are interracial

RE: Racial relationships - Kellach Woods - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 08:39 AM)Kage Wrote: It's implied or outright stated by the Hyur and Miqo'te fay couple that hand out the Wanderer's Palace HM quests that the reason they were essentially stigmatized is not because they are fay but because they are interracial

Yeah, Miqo'te would probably be the one race I'd believe the interracial thing would not work well with partially since their societal structure leaves no real place for outsiders. I don't think, say, a Hyur could take a Nunh title for example.

RE: Racial relationships - Cato - 01-30-2015

Based on what we see in-game it seems like they're a lot rarer than what player character couples may imply. There's also a lot of historical conflict between the city states and the playable races. If not for the Garlean Empire and Primals requiring a united Eorzea I have no doubt that that would only be a matter of time before infighting occurred.

One major obstacle is that even with it being established that interracial couples are frowned upon a lot of role-players drag real world morality into the mix and so any character who paints it as a negative is usually perceived as a villain or worse yet, it devolves into OOC drama and mudslinging.

Also, the alchemists questline is specifically a er... well it's about a romance between a Hyur and a Miqo'te. It didn't seem like there were issues other than the fact that er...

Show Content

RE: Racial relationships - Bopdoot - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 09:30 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Based on what we see in-game it seems like they're a lot rarer than what player character couples may imply. There's also a lot of historical conflict between the city states and the playable races. If not for the Garlean Empire and Primals requiring a united Eorzea I have no doubt that that would only be a matter of time before infighting occurred.

One major obstacle is that even with it being established that interracial couples are frowned upon a lot of role-players drag real world morality into the mix and so any character who paints it as a negative is usually perceived as a villain or worse yet, it devolves into OOC drama and mudslinging.
You would hope people could be more mature but I'm afraid I've witnessed this type of "ic to ooc dramallama" often enough in rp communities.  Sad

RE: Racial relationships - E'irawen - 01-30-2015

I can't say I've seen anyone OOCly protesting to it.

Lore wise though, it just kind of depends. ICly with characters, it depends, too. All about upbringing and background.

My characters personally do not give a flying turd. One is a midlander-miqo mix and, sometimes she gets a bit insecure about it yes, but I haven't had anyone in RP blast her for it, IC or OOC.

There's also that one part allll the way back in 2.0 main story quest when one of the Imperial Hyuran guards was crushing on Tataru majorly.

According to one person back in 1.0 "a quest in 1.0 for a love potion/soup that a female Miqo'te had me gather ingredients for because she wanted to get into the pants of some lalafell."

I forget who it was Thancred was with but in one of the Ul'dah quests in beginning of ARR, Thancred is flirting with two girls, one of them an Elezen.

Hweeeee
(Hyur x Miqote)
[Image: jpex4n.jpg]

(Hyur x Miqote)
[Image: 105wbba.jpg]

(Roe x Hyur)
[Image: 30lf0cg.jpg]

RE: Racial relationships - Berrod Armstrong - 01-30-2015

Inter-racial relationships thrill me OOC, because it opens up a lot of avenues for roleplay.

I'll use Warren's marriage to Sei as an example. Berrod was at the ceremony, and while he was very happy for them both, he still muttered and wondered why Warren couldn't find himself a nice highlander girl to make some babies and keep the blood thick. He's an Ala Mhigan-blooded Highlander to the core, and while he may not have any active hostilities against the other races, courting them is questionable. He makes an exception for Roegadyn, but only because they most closely match his model of what an individual should be -- traditionally. 

Long story short, he doesn't think it's strange, he just sorts of laments that people do it and water down 'good' bloodlines.

RE: Racial relationships - Kamome - 01-30-2015

Kage mentioned this above, but here is the full text from the panel at fan fest on Koji-Fox's lore explanation for the lack of accepted interracial couples:

From FFXIV's Head of Localization (English):

A: Some of the lore makes it sounds like the conflict between the Hyur and Elezen got pretty heated while others make it sound like a long standing tension. What was the extent of those hostilities?

MCKF: I touched on this a little bit today in the live stream and there was a question about relationships between the races and crossbreeding. A lot of it doesn’t happen because while we have all these races living together in Eorzea, there’s this tension between them. That’s there because they have these histories of fighting for a long time and then not really making up, but agreeing to disagree and living together because it’s better than living by ourselves and being more susceptible to Garlean attacks or whatever. We work together because we have a common enemy type of thing.

Most of the races don’t really like each other and it”s gone on through multiple Eras. There are times when Eorzea has been more populated by one race over another and there will be conflict there. With the Hyur and Elezen, that’s very recent. In the sixth astral era, Elezen migrated in and in that era they were like “we’re the first ones here!” even though they weren’t, but they were the first at the beginning of the sixth astral era and they settled and of course the pesky Hyur who are everywhere come in and the Elezen are like “oh my god we left you that whole continent up there why are you here!” and the Lalafell come in and you have these cycles of clashing and moving part and that gets ingrained in their society and their racial cultures. There’s always these power struggles, you’ll have times when the Lalafell rise for whatever reason and they’ll side with one group and then turn on another group and that’s one of the reasons there’s not a lot of interracial relationships because even though they’re living in the same towns it’s like well yeah… but you’re an Elezen.

F: I can just imagine some young Elezen bringing home a Hyur woman and the Grandma going “Why couldn’t you have found a nice Elezen girl!”

MCKF: There’s a lot of that going on. Like i mentioned in the stream, in the future we’ll have some characters that are half one race and half another and we’ll see how they’re treated in society and quests with that.

http://gamerescape.com/2014/10/22/fan-fest-2014-interview-with-michael-christopher-koji-fox/

RE: Racial relationships - SessionZero - 01-30-2015

To be honest, I like that facet of the established lore. I like the fact that everyone in Eorzea is not all kumbaya and sunshine and rainbows. It's a tumultuous place, with real tension between the races (with varying intensity) and it provides a unique angle from which to approach your roleplay. How would my character's preconceived notions and prejudices affect this decision? 

For my part, I do play Reilan as a traditionally-reared Ishgardian Elezen, with all the prejudices that entails. He won't be a racist dick to your face, but he has subtly different reactions to things based on which race perpetrates the action he is reacting to. It makes me really think about how my roleplay is going to come out, and it's a great way to tep outside your comfort zone.