Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts (/showthread.php?tid=9920)

Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Gegenji - 02-02-2015

Just as it says on the tin - have you ever gotten... weird gifts? Either for the holidays, your birthday, or other major or minor event? Do you keep them - or use them if they're something that can be used? Or do they end up getting returned covertly or left to gather dust?

I ask because it has more or less become a family tradition to always try to include one joke gift on Christmas and the like. Such gifts have included a coffee mug shaped like a toilet (no, I'm drinking hot chocolate out of it, I don't care how funny it'd be, Mom) and another mug that has a little snowman that'll kick mini marshmallows into your drink.

Just recently, I got a hot dog toaster. Not entirely sure it's a joke gift or just a weird gift. You put two buns and two hot dogs into it and it'll toast them for you. I just got it and... I'm kinda tempted to give it a try, at least. Which is more than I can say of toilet mug.

Anyone else ever get weird or otherwise questionable gifts?

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Ciel - 02-02-2015

At the family Christmas gathering this year, I was regifted one of those little electronic keychain photo albums.  It's been opened, taped back closed, and it's so old the packaging references Windows 98 for one of the compatible platforms.  It has probably already been regifted through the family multiple times and now gets to go into my regift pile for next year.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Warren Castille - 02-02-2015

Every single year. One of the matrons in our flock gives hilariously bad gifts and we make it a contest to see who gets the dumbest loot every year. Winners from previous years:

1) Lighters in the shape of fish
2) Mugs in the shape of fish heads, so you were frenching a trout to drink your coffee
3) A bitchin' sculpted wolf phone
4) A fucking deer christmas tree topper, hand-crafted by a couple that are definitely not serial murderers out in like, Oregon.

Personal favorite gift: Night vision goggles. Cheap ones, but I walked around the basement with them strapped to my head giggling like a madman for a long time.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Aya - 02-02-2015

I'm still waiting for the pun!

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Gegenji - 02-02-2015

(02-02-2015, 03:32 PM)Aya Wrote: I'm still waiting for the pun!

Are you implying I'm stallion for time until I pony up with the jokes? I'm not all about horsing around, you know. I mane what I said in the opening post, there's nothing foalish about asking about weird gifts. I marely want to know if others have gotten them too.

... Clydesdale.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Warren Castille - 02-02-2015

(02-02-2015, 03:36 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

Are you implying I'm stallion for time until I pony up with the jokes? I'm not all about horsing around, you know. I mane what I said in the opening post, there's nothing foalish about asking about weird gifts. I marely want to know if others have gotten them too.

... Clydesdale.

...what a crop of shetland pony.

(02-02-2015, 03:39 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(02-02-2015, 03:36 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

... Clydesdale.

...what a crop of shetland pony.

Don't you mean a load of horseshoe?

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - K'nahli - 02-02-2015

(02-02-2015, 03:15 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Personal favorite gift: Night vision goggles. Cheap ones, but I walked around the basement with them strapped to my head giggling like a madman for a long time.

That's as precious as it is terrifying to imagine.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Cato - 02-02-2015

I've received a few quirky gifts over the years but nothing too 'out there'. I only exchange gifts with my immediate family and close friends so we all have a pretty good idea as to what would be a hit and what would be a miss.

So far I've been pretty lucky and I usually just get given cash or taken out to buy some clothes/video games when it comes to recent gifts.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Ha'uruh Nunh - 02-02-2015

Someone at work for Christmas got a clock that plays the Muslim call to prayer as its alarm.  It's become a prank to set it and hide it in people's desks/cubes/offices and wait.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - MadWater - 02-02-2015

I once received an electric toothbrush that consisted of a, uh, personal massager with a My Little Mermaid kid's toothbrush taped to it. That was from my dear little sister.

(02-02-2015, 05:37 PM)Ha'uruh Nunh Wrote: Someone at work for Christmas got a clock that plays the Muslim call to prayer as its alarm.  It's become a prank to set it and hide it in people's desks/cubes/offices and wait.

Okay, that's pretty amazing. I don't think I've seen or gotten any weird gifts that could be used for pranking.

RE: Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - Weird Gifts - Desu Nee - 02-02-2015

(02-02-2015, 03:15 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Every single year. One of the matrons in our flock gives hilariously bad gifts and we make it a contest to see who gets the dumbest loot every year. Winners from previous years:

1) Lighters in the shape of fish
2) Mugs in the shape of fish heads, so you were frenching a trout to drink your coffee
3) A bitchin' sculpted wolf phone
4) A fucking deer christmas tree topper, hand-crafted by a couple that are definitely not serial murderers out in like, Oregon.

Personal favorite gift: Night vision goggles. Cheap ones, but I walked around the basement with them strapped to my head giggling like a madman for a long time.
[Image: latest?cb=20140403102604&path-prefix=ru]

NOW GO TO THE RPC FORUMS, AND CRY LIKE THE LITTLE BITCH YOU ARE.

noonewillgetagain