Hydaelyn Role-Players
You've got to be Roegadyn me! [Lore Inquiries] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: You've got to be Roegadyn me! [Lore Inquiries] (/showthread.php?tid=9924)

You've got to be Roegadyn me! [Lore Inquiries] - Kestrael - 02-02-2015

Hi, everyone!

I have been on Balmung for a few days and am now trying to flesh out my character's back story and needed some input.

I will preface this by stating that while I have searched for information it is totally plausible that I missed a thread or page that will have answered all my queries and apologize if that is the case. I welcome any and all suggestions for further reading!

My character is a Roegadyn lass of the Sea Wolf persuasion roughly in her late teens to early twenties (the easier to explain why she is unknown and relatively unskilled). She was born in Limsa Lominsa to a lower mercantile class couple with at least one known sibling.

Family:

My first inquiry is about familial structuring in the Roegadyn culture. How many children would an average couple have? Would their affluence directly effect this decision? Is it feasible that a family would maintain strong bonds with extended family? How important IS family to the average Roegadyn given their history as a seafaring and martial race?

Would such an extensive family perhaps take a clan name for themselves to identify that they are one blood since surnames reflect the sire's personal name?

Pride and Prejudice:

Based on the game content I have experienced I would estimate that the Roegadyn are a proud people who still respect their roots. Are there any races or cultures that they do no not get along with stereotypically?

Also, I am a little confused on the lore for how Limsa Lominsa was founded. I know that a ship or a fleet of ships ran aground in the bay and the city was built around the remains of the Galadion but was it crewed by Roegadyn? Sea Wolves? A mix of races?

I am sure I will have more questions to pester your lovely brains with soon. Thanks for taking the time to read and for any and all input!

RE: You've got to be Roegadyn me! [Lore Inquiries] - Desu Nee - 02-02-2015

SOYAAAA MIIIIIILLLLK

RE: You've got to be Roegadyn me! [Lore Inquiries] - Sounsyy - 02-02-2015

Unfortunately, the game doesn't give us as much information about Sea Wolf families as it does their Hellsguard cousins. So a lot of the answers to these questions are simply "inferred" things and may not be true for the entire population of Sea Wolves.

(02-02-2015, 05:08 PM)Kestrael Wrote: How many children would an average couple have?

We know Hellsguard families typically have many children, so many in fact that, very often Hellsguard children are sent away from their homes to seek prosperity or fortune elsewhere in Eorzea. We do not have lore telling us the same is the case for the Sea Wolves so we can infer that either their families are not as large (1-3 children as opposed to 3-5 like Hellsguards) or that because they are traditionally a close-knit seafaring folk, the family unit stays together as part of the crew.

(02-02-2015, 05:08 PM)Kestrael Wrote: Is it feasible that a family would maintain strong bonds with extended family? How important IS family to the average Roegadyn given their history as a seafaring and martial race?

Feasible and likely. From the very few examples we have of Sea Wolf relationships and family, there seems to be a very strong bond between, at the very least, father and child. I'll draw upon Merlwyb as my example, who's father was Captain Bloefhis of the League of Lost Bastards, one of the largest and most dangerous pirate armadas in Eorzean history, rivaling even the great Dreadpirate Mistbeard. It is said that should he die, Merlwyb would inherit his entire fleet and fortune.

Apart from that, I think the fact that the Sea Wolf culture adopts their father's first name as their last speaks very highly to family bonds. And more so that their names remain in their native tongue, despite thousands and thousands of years of cultural assimilation. I take that to mean their families, forefathers, and racial history mean a great deal to the Sea Wolves.

(02-02-2015, 05:08 PM)Kestrael Wrote: Would such an extensive family perhaps take a clan name for themselves to identify that they are one blood since surnames reflect the sire's personal name?

We do not ever see any evidence of this happening in lore. That's not to say it couldn't happen? Just that we don't ever see it.

(02-02-2015, 05:08 PM)Kestrael Wrote: Are there any races or cultures that they do no not get along with stereotypically?

Stereotypically, none of the races really get on well with each other.
However, because of their extensive history of seafaring roots and their exposure to other races for a very long time, I could see most Sea Wolves getting on well with other seafaring folk of any race.

(02-02-2015, 05:08 PM)Kestrael Wrote: Also, I am a little confused on the lore for how Limsa Lominsa was founded. I know that a ship or a fleet of ships ran aground in the bay and the city was built around the remains of the Galadion but was it crewed by Roegadyn? Sea Wolves? A mix of races?

So, 700 years ago, circa the Year 850 of the Sixth Astral Era, there was a great naval battle between two unnamed seafaring empires. The battle was heavily one sided and so the remaining vessels on the losing side fled. But the fleeing vessels were chased into a horrible storm and were wrecked upon the southern cliffs of Vylbrand. The one vessel which survived the massacre was the Galadion. From the remains of the vessel, the small fishing town of Limsa Lominsa was constructed. It wasn't until years later that it eventually became the hub for all seafaring trade and travel, both legal and not.

As for its crew, we do not know. We know the names of the Galadion's two helmsmen, Guy La Thagran and Jean De Nevelle, which could either be Hyur or Elezen names, honestly. But there could have also been Roegadyn or Lalafell on board or they could've come later as both Roegadyn and the Plainsfolk Lalafell are seafaring sorts.

Hope this helps! ^^ And lemme know if you have more questions!

RE: You've got to be Roegadyn me! [Lore Inquiries] - Kestrael - 02-02-2015

Desu, you are a fount of wisdom. Tongue Kestrael needs more Ququki in her life.

Sounsyy, it is a great help! Thank you so much!