Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? (/showthread.php?tid=9984)

Pages: 1 2

Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Nara'to - 02-06-2015

I was so excited to get this game two days ago.  Spend an hour downloading and updating.  Finally get in, choose my race, gender, get him all set up and go to choose a server.  What did I find?  A locked server for new characters.

Thus began my google searching to figure out what to do.  When I found out that I have to wait till the early AM hours just to have a shot to get onto this glorious RP server I nearly lost it.  But I played the patient game for 2 days and waited.  And waited, waited, waited, waited and waited.

Fast forward to now and the server has not once been open these past two days and it has drove me nuts.  I thought maintenance would be my saving grace.  Nope, people refused to log till the servers were offline.  Now I patiently wait....again....till maintenance is done at 2am my time.  I don't mind but this is a little nuts.

Why is it so difficult to get onto this server?  Why is there a lock to begin with?  I feel like people stay online 24/7 here just so they don't incur a queue or something.

Forgive the frustration.  I've been itching to get into roleplay on this game but being basically told that I am SOL trying to get onto the server unless I get ungodly lucky in the morning is just insane. I know I could choose another server, and I did get onto Gilgamesh, but Balmung is the home I chose before I even bought the game while doing research. Forgive me for my behavior, I just want to play is all.

I wish to join you Balmung Q_Q  My Miqo'te longs for more of his kind Dx

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Pascaleret - 02-06-2015

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Kestrael - 02-06-2015

It is a pain to get on but your patiences will be rewarded! Last maintenance there was a good hour or so window to create new characters after it came back up.

Balmung is one of the highest population servers due to its Legacy status and its appeal to role players seems to keep it in high demand.

Good luck!

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - TheLastCandle - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:19 AM)Advent_Soul Wrote: I wish to join you Balmung Q_Q  My Miqo'te longs for more of his kind Dx

Oh, they're here all right. Belieeeeeeeve me. @_@

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - vensondraix - 02-06-2015

I found that I couldn't get into Balmung by waiting, though I hear the prime time to try to create a character in Balmung is between 4-8am PST. Never played during these times to confirm though, so take it with a grain of salt. I ended up just doing a world transfer into Balmung from Adamantoise myself, and while it cost $18, it took a couple of seconds at 5 in the afternoon.

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Enla - 02-06-2015

There's a lot of reasons, but for the most part I'd say it's probably down to some of these particular issues.

1. Balmung is a legacy server, which means it plays hosts to accounts that were around all the way back in 1.0, and as far as I'm aware SE does not periodically go through and weed out unused accounts like some other developers do. Ergo, it reads as having a higher population than the other servers and the checker can never quite tell when it's supposed to be open.
2. FF14 does not have a kick mechanic. It is not uncommon to see people AFK in the same place for an entire day, and sometimes longer. I'm not sure if SE's servers are like the servers on any other game I've been a part of, but if they are this also contributes to server congestion.
3. Frankly, their servers aren't the best. I really never have any lag outside of dungeons, and even then I can excuse it as issues on my own end. I don't think their servers were designed with this many people in mind and I'm honestly shuddering to think of what is going to happen when Heavensward is released if something isn't improved. (Getting an Au Ra into this mess without using a designated placeholder for a Fantasia change is going to be like trying to move through an ocean of jelly. Unpleasant and time consuming.)

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Nara'to - 02-06-2015

Thank you all for the replies.

I do plan to stick around till servers are back up.  Also I must ask, is the Miqo'te population really that high?  I knew there'd be quite a few but if there isn't enough diversity I could choose another race.

I usually enjoy playing elves so if there aren't a ton of them or the human looking race then I can go that route.

I'm open to suggestions.

RE: Balmung, Why Do You Elude Me? - Kinono - 02-06-2015

The game actually had an autokick function shortly after launch but it was disabled once the launch rush died down. It was definitely a welcome addition at launch, where simply logging it was an enormous effort, becasue there was no queue system. You had to just keep trying, hoping someone had JUST logged off. People would log in in the early morning and just afk all day while at work/school so their character was waiting for them ready to go once they go back.

It was a madhouse.

Given the current state of character creation, I wouldn't be against it being implemented again, even if it's just on Balmung and other nearly-always closed servers. Even a few extra minutes of character creation being opened would be worth it for all the people waiting.

(02-06-2015, 01:53 AM)Advent_Soul Wrote: I do plan to stick around till servers are back up.  Also I must ask, is the Miqo'te population really that high?  I knew there'd be quite a few but if there isn't enough diversity I could choose another race.

I usually enjoy playing elves so if there aren't a ton of them or the human looking race then I can go that route.

There's plenty of diversity depending on where you go, so if your heart's set on miqo'te, don't worry about it at all. Miqo'te is the most popular race, and it is noticeable, but it's not at the point where anyone is gonna groan and go "ugh, another miqo'te" or anything.

On the other hand, I don't think there are nearly enough elezen at all...

(02-06-2015, 01:56 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 01:53 AM)Advent_Soul Wrote: I do plan to stick around till servers are back up.  Also I must ask, is the Miqo'te population really that high?  I knew there'd be quite a few but if there isn't enough diversity I could choose another race.

There's plenty of diversity depending on where you go, so if your heart's set on miqo'te, don't worry about it at all. Miqo'te is the most popular race, and it is noticeable, but it's not at the point where anyone is gonna groan and go "ugh, another miqo'te" or anything.

Yeah, I've honestly seen far more Roegadyn than I have Elezen which honestly surprised me. I have one that I wish to RP, but he's low priority right now as if I add another character to my leveling rotation I'm going to go insane.

Edit: Deleted, apologies.

(02-06-2015, 02:00 AM)Advent_Soul Wrote: That is good news then.  If there aren't enough Elezen then I wouldn't mind making one.  Can even use elven names I keep saved whenever I start a new game that has an elf like race as a playable race.

Although my heart is set on Miqo'te I honestly don't mind going with something else.  As for Lalafell....Tera ruined child like races for me.  I don't think I can ever make another character that looks like a kid ever again ._.

I hope Balmung stays closed forever.

Racist.

(02-06-2015, 02:00 AM)Advent_Soul Wrote:

That is good news then.  If there aren't enough Elezen then I wouldn't mind making one.  Can even use elven names I keep saved whenever I start a new game that has an elf like race as a playable race.

Although my heart is set on Miqo'te I honestly don't mind going with something else.  As for Lalafell....Tera ruined child like races for me.  I don't think I can ever make another character that looks like a kid ever again ._.

You can always make both. During the last maintenance I was able to put five new characters into the game before Balmung closed again. Just get through the mandatory cutscene, or if you're lucky cancel out when the server gives you the message that you're waiting in a queue to get in, and make all the characters you want. Can always start playing them later. Smile I haven't touched half the ones I've made, and one is a place holder for an Au Ra, but they're there for when an idea hits me.

(02-06-2015, 02:02 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 02:00 AM)Advent_Soul Wrote: That is good news then.  If there aren't enough Elezen then I wouldn't mind making one.  Can even use elven names I keep saved whenever I start a new game that has an elf like race as a playable race.

Racist.
*gives cookies* There, there. Go for the shins! <--- Kidding, honestly love Lalafells. Please don't kill me. D:

(02-06-2015, 02:02 AM)Kinono Wrote:

Racist.
My apologies, I should have worded that better.

Whelp, ruined any chance of ever using this site again.  You will never hear from me again on this site and again I am sorry.