Hydaelyn Role-Players
The bored at work thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: The bored at work thread (/showthread.php?tid=9994)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: The bored at work thread - Du'lance Fiourtune - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:20 AM)Melody Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 11:16 AM)Du Wrote: Ahh my line of work involves artwork as well, but more for advertising.
My father and I run a sign shop here in Florida.

Striping fire trucks, full vehicle wraps (if you know what thst is), election signs etc.

Sweet! A fellow Floridian!

Big Grin

I used to work at a place like that, but only as customer service, which was why I quit. XD
Ah nice!

Yeah it's just my father and I, so we handle just about everything.
One minute I'm the install guy, the next I'm the artwork guy, and then I'm the customer service guy ha.

(02-06-2015, 11:15 AM)Auriaune Fournier Wrote: My goodness! So many workians! I am no longer alone!
HEY!!

I tried to see if you wanted to RP the other night/day (don't remember which day either) but I think you was AFK for a bit.

RE: The bored at work thread - Warren Castille - 02-06-2015

One has to wonder how many security clearances are present on the RPC.

RE: The bored at work thread - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-06-2015

What a perfect thread for while I walk to work.

I'm a "Customer Service Technical Support Engineer".

Otherwise known as the guy who helps our users install our software, configure it, and get it working with their cash boxes, ticket printers, receipt printers and anything credit card swiperd.

Mind you, our system is a text-based mess of menus. Our database is 10 years older than I am. And the "magical" terminal emulator our users have tries to draw a GUI over the text and breaks if AMD Catalyst is running.

Average day is something around the lines of "can you help me connect to the system and get my 30 year old printer to format stuff correctly?"

But it's usually fun. If you've ever gone to a US college sports game and someone scanned your ticket, there's a good chance they're one of our clients. or will be

RE: The bored at work thread - FreelanceWizard - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 10:49 AM)Gegenji Wrote: "VB's a stupid language."

FTFY. Big Grin

As someone who came up through coding and still codes (I'm writing an OAuth2 IP right now), of the CLI languages, VB.NET is by far my most disliked (we shall not speak of Original VB Tongue ). However, at least the CLI languages are sane. For pure insanity, I recommend:
  • PHP, where NULL++ = 1, but NULL-- = NULL; or "this" == true, "this" == 0, but true != 0. Also, mysql_escape_string, mysql_real_escape_string, mysql/mysqli/PDO_mysql. Those are but the least of its sins.
  • Perl, the original "write once, read never" language
  • Python, where whitespace is significant and evidently there's nothing wrong with that
  • Ruby, where you get all the slowness of an interpreted language with all the insecurity of operation by convention (Rails model binder, overposting, and Active Record = 0wned)
All good languages start with the letter C: C, C++, C#. Smile One could be excused for dropping C++ from that list, because template metaprogramming is The Devil, and I'd rather a language where I can blow my foot off where I can actually see the gun and where the trigger is, as opposed to C++ where I can push a green button that says "Push Me!" and, after 20-30 Rube Goldberg operations, a gun teleports in front of my foot and shoots it for me.

RE: The bored at work thread - K'nahli - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 10:49 AM)Coatleque Wrote: I am a "Network Support Engineer" which is just a fancy way of saying "Help Desk".
And you don't want to know about my day(s).

I like the first one. It kind of makes you sound like part of the cast of some sci-fi, action hit.

Quote:"Dammit, SHE is our lead engineer in that department! Without Coatleque's sustained support, this entire ship will be largely susceptible to an enemy attack. We need her no less than we need the air to breathe!"

...and I'm sure the faint-hearted don't want to know about your hectic and stressful days. What you do may not be quite as glamorous as those in the midst of action, but you keep the ship running. You save lives on a daily basis..  *nods firmly*

(02-06-2015, 11:36 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

FTFY. Big Grin

As someone who came up through coding and still codes (I'm writing an OAuth2 IP right now), of the CLI languages, VB.NET is by far my most disliked (we shall not speak of Original VB Tongue ). However, at least the CLI languages are sane. For pure insanity, I recommend:
  • PHP, where NULL++ = 1, but NULL-- = NULL; or "this" == true, "this" == 0, but true != 0. Also, mysql_escape_string, mysql_real_escape_string, mysql/mysqli/PDO_mysql. Those are but the least of its sins.
  • Perl, the original "write once, read never" language
  • Python, where whitespace is significant and evidently there's nothing wrong with that
  • Ruby, where you get all the slowness of an interpreted language with all the insecurity of operation by convention (Rails model binder, overposting, and Active Record = 0wned)
All good languages start with the letter C: C, C++, C#. Smile One could be excused for dropping C++ from that list, because template metaprogramming is The Devil, and I'd rather a language where I can blow my foot off where I can actually see the gun and where the trigger is, as opposed to C++ where I can push a green button that says "Push Me!" and, after 20-30 Rube Goldberg operations, a gun teleports in front of my foot and shoots it for me.
*crickets chirp*

Wut?

RE: The bored at work thread - Coatleque - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:36 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: {Crash course in programming languages}

I just learned so much in so few words...
Is there any love for JavaScript? XMLHttpRequest?

RE: The bored at work thread - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:36 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

FTFY. Big Grin

It's a government contract. There's a lot of outdated stuff being used. I think we tried doing an MVC project... once? Was scrapped and made VB.NET again.

The lack of documentation is killer, though. My current project is to write up basically a test case rubric FOR the application I just tested. After the fact. Because there's no set standard (and test document) in place.

The guy who originally asked me to do it called it a "Test Plan" at first. I linked to him what a Test Plan actually WAS and he was all "Oh, no no. Not that." So basically I get to open Excel and then put "On this page, try to do this. Did it work? Y/N." about twenty to thirty times.

RE: The bored at work thread - Seye Qhesu - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:24 AM)Du Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 11:15 AM)Auriaune Fournier Wrote: My goodness! So many workians! I am no longer alone!
HEY!!

I tried to see if you wanted to RP the other night/day (don't remember which day either) but I think you was AFK for a bit.
I tab out and watch cartoons alot!  Just toss me a tell and I'll tab over for the ping.

RE: The bored at work thread - Warren Castille - 02-06-2015

I'm blessed with a desk job that lets me pay far too much attention to the general interwebs. During a spectacular slow period last summer, I actually built a Gundam model in here.

RE: The bored at work thread - FreelanceWizard - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:41 AM)Coatleque Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 11:36 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: {Crash course in programming languages}

I just learned so much in so few words...
Is there any love for JavaScript? XMLHttpRequest?

I don't like JS personally, but I tolerate it now that we have some good libraries for it (Knockout and JQuery, mostly, but Angular has its uses) and TypeScript to provide type safety. Basic JS is a nasty little language with a lot of annoyances, IMO: lack of namespaces, the idiocy that is the DOM, poor tools, etc.

Mostly, I don't use XMLHttpRequest directly, but instead use JQuery.ajax or MVC's Ajax.ActionLink. It's great conceptually if you have the right backend to deal with it, but your users also lose their back button, so... that's kind of a pain. Tongue

(02-06-2015, 11:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote: The guy who originally asked me to do it called it a "Test Plan" at first. I linked to him what a Test Plan actually WAS and he was all "Oh, no no. Not that." So basically I get to open Excel and then put "On this page, try to do this. Did it work? Y/N." about twenty to thirty times.

Oh. Oh god. Surprise You have my condolences.

RE: The bored at work thread - Elysia - 02-06-2015

I... teach. 

I suppose this gives a pretty good idea of what I go through most days: I live on the other side of the world (and therefore am 'bored at work' when most of you are resting), it's almost midnight right now, and I switch screens periodically between FFXIV and my Internet browser to source for 1200-word long articles to torture my students with for their mid-year examinations. 

I also have to contend with kids who write things like this:

Quote:For instance, you cannot expect a man with a height of 6"9 to mend a button on clothes with his huge hand, which a woman can perfectly achieve.

RE: The bored at work thread - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 11:51 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 11:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote: The guy who originally asked me to do it called it a "Test Plan" at first. I linked to him what a Test Plan actually WAS and he was all "Oh, no no. Not that." So basically I get to open Excel and then put "On this page, try to do this. Did it work? Y/N." about twenty to thirty times.

Oh. Oh god. Surprise You have my condolences.

I'm literally putting it off until Monday under the auspices of "research." I.E., Google image searching up some ideas and letting them sit in a tab I can switch to if he wants to come see my progress.

It's not "due" until the end of next week anyway. So I'm in no particular rush. Especially since this is all stuff that should have been in place to begin with. Best part is that we ended up talking about presenting a genericized version of it to the higher-ups later for future testing. So I want to make it look at least decently nice...

"Created testing rubric used by [GOVERNMENT FACILITY]" would be a nice bullet point on my resume.

(02-06-2015, 11:53 AM)Elysia Wrote:
Quote:For instance, you cannot expect a man with a height of 6"9 to mend a button on clothes with his huge hand, which a woman can perfectly achieve.

HE HAS HUGE HANDS, WHICH MEANS HE HAS HUGE GUTS. (He'll) RIP AND TEAR (the fabric).

(02-06-2015, 11:53 AM)Elysia Wrote: I... teach. 

I suppose this gives a pretty good idea of what I go through most days: I live on the other side of the world (and therefore am 'bored at work' when most of you are resting), it's almost midnight right now, and I switch screens periodically between FFXIV and my Internet browser to source for 1200-word long articles to torture my students with for their mid-year examinations. 

I also have to contend with kids who write things like this:

You have awesome kids, I can tell.....