“ Not all can survive outside city walls,
just as not all can survive within. ”
- Even as the roots of infrastructure and commerce began to take hold, there were those who chose not to conform. You were raised in one of Hydalen’s harsh wildernesses, be it from across the seas or here on Eorzean soil. The wisdoms of your family- and their ancestors before them- bestowed unto you a sophisticated knowledge of nature.
In recent times, however, the Eorzean city-states have called to you. Be it curiosity. Adventure. Dreams of starting anew. A lack of options. You were thrust into a world filled with law and custom that only served to baffle you. Sure, it has been difficult fitting in, but it has been worth it... Right?
You ask yourself this. Sometimes you just want to go back. Maybe you are one of the few who can. Fortunate you are to have what you do because there are many and more who do not. While you gaze up at the stars from beneath your tattered tent, curled up in a shaggy blanket beside a small fire coughing up its last plumes of smoke, you wonder why anything had to change.
- Feel free to call me Sam. Welcome to my Making Connections thread! I have been maining a nomadic hunter/gatherer Keeper miqo’te for almost a full year and I am looking for kindred spirits who share a passion for wilderness survival/camping/nomad RP. I find it difficult for my character to relate to the modernized Eorzean and those of you with similar characters will definitely know my plight!
I am looking to form a tight knit group of roleplayers who have mains/alts who choose to live (or want to live) outside city walls. We can form storylines/camaraderies/rivalries/travel with each other, be the best of friends, you name it!
If you have a character that might fit the bill and totally shorns the use of modern conveniences, contact me. Let’s start a discussion and get to know one another. If interested, you can learn more about the Shroud Life linkshell near the bottom of this post.
- Create a comprehensive resource for canon lore on Eorzean flora and fauna.
- Share research on wilderness survival skills for roleplay integration. WIP
- Provide hubs for daily social interaction within a hunter/gatherer camp setting.
- Reach out to characters who wish to adhere to their tribal roots, whatever their situation.
- Grow a linkshell of proactive individuals who share a passion for #SHUNNING CITY RP :-)
Shroud Life started with a focus in the Twelveswood, but if you still desire this kind of RP- regardless of location/race- you are still welcome. We can literally spark RP anywhere- Thanalan, La Noscea, Coerthas, etc. To clear things up, my character isn't looking to form a group or get people together, it's me OOC doing this in the hopes of getting more of the kind of RP I want for him. Whether your character tags along with mine, or he tags along with them, it is up to the RP!
Alternatively (or in addition to) the Linkshell, you may leave your character name and location as a response and I will make a list in the next post. Our kind of RP is incredibly niche and finding you bastards is difficult enough, so I want to make sure you can at least find each other.
These are the kinds of characters I want to reach out to:
- Displaced Duskwight Elezen and Keeper Miqo'te |
You have been called a poacher and a scofflaw for as long as you can remember. Countless years of racial tension with Gridania has forced you to grow thicker skin than most. You have become bitter in this time; jaded. But some part of you is hopeful. Change is on the horizon, if the last few years are anything to go by. Still, you avoid Gridanian settlements like the plague, and when you cannot, often find yourself biting your tongue.
Whether or not the allegations to your character are true, you are just trying to survive, one way or another, the only way you know how. Even if you only take what you need to survive, somehow that is still far too much. Sure, you refuse to revere the Elementals as the Gridanians do, but you cannot deny the influence of their presence. Whether that acknowledgement comes with respect or fear, the forest sprites tend leave you alone, so long as they remain undisturbed.
- Xaela |
Quite a long way from the Steppes, aren't you? No, you are certainly not home anymore, and since coming over, nothing has quite felt the same. At least the language barrier has chipped away over the years. Or perhaps it is as strong as it ever was. Were you one of the fortunate? To have found remnants of your own before learning how quickly Eorzea had changed them? However you see it, the trip across the sea has affected those you once thought to call brother. And it has altered even you in some small way, hasn’t it? That is what scares you the most.
Uncertainties aside, your wild heart belongs to the Steppes. Though it is only in your dreams that you race back to the lands of Othard and the trying wildernesses therein, you know your homelands cannot be reclaimed. Not now. But until the time comes, you would dare search for hope in this place- a chance to reclaim that feeling, here, on this side of the world.
- Seeker of the Sun|
Tribal life is like all you and your family have known. Whether female or Tia, you find yourself wandering far and wide more than others of your family. Sometimes it gets you into trouble. Or perhaps you are fortunate and they do not mind so much, so long as you return in one piece.
- Your character may vary from my little blurbs, of course. If you know someone who is looking for -or might find value in- something like this, I encourage you to direct them this thread or give them my character name: Gehr'ir Ett. Thank you!
If your muse can empathize with at least ten of the statements below...
- Most of what they own can be carried on their person.
- They still do not understand how Linkpearls are supposed to work.
- They travel almost exclusively by foot.
- They don’t have enough gil for aetheryte travel anyway.
- Finding a huge mound of grubs after a long day of failed hunts is AWESOME !!
- Food isn't plentiful for them, and when it is, it’s gone in five seconds.
- They don't like sharing food- at all- and when they do it's kind of a big deal.
- People tell them they are uncouth or lacking in ‘manners’.
- The desire to punch Yellow Adders and Wood Wailers in their stupid little faces is perfectly reasonable.
- Silence and grunting are acceptable responses to any and all questions.
- The wildly subjective and varied standards of ‘decency’ city-folk made up are completely irrational. As if seeing someone's jiggly bits will somehow scar them for life.
- Privacy is an illusion.
- If a weapon isn’t within arms reach, you’re doing it wrong.
- That feeling when you run out of kindling…
- They would rather sleep outdoors.
- In fact, modern buildings make them feel cramped and uncomfortable.
- You have had so many negative run-ins with 'the law' you are literally running out of fingers to count them on. See: Oschon’s Fingers
- They were born with a bow and arrow (or spear) in their hand.
- Your character wears the Sohm Al (Woad) gear IC, like, all the time. You wish SE came out with more foresty/huntsman equipment for them to wear. DAMN YOU SE.
- Running water and shower heads are some kind of witchcraft.
- Prayer to your deity of choice helps curb the solitude.
- You are illiterate and that is OK. Never needed it anyway.
- Their family continues to practice traditional/tribal life as a whole.
… I am positive they will fit in.
Disclaimer | Getting along with Gehr’ir is a completely different story. C:
Linkshell Name: Shroud Life
Joining: Send Gehr’ir Ett (Balmung) a /tell.
A.CCOUNTABILITY | S.ELF-CONTROL | S.INCERITY
These three points are hereby referred to as ASS. Show everyone
how much of an ASS you are and you will fit into the linkshell just fine.
DISCORD M♥DERATORS | Gehrir Ett, Sanrai Bayaqud
DISCORD M♥DERATORS | Gehrir Ett, Sanrai Bayaqud
Most are welcome ! Active players will be promoted to ★Leader. Please link your friends back to this thread tinyurl.com/shroudlife before inviting them.
- If you do not want to be ★Leader, let one of us know and we will demote you.
- I’m just going to see how this works. If the LS remains small, which I suspect it will, this shouldn’t be an issue. I will stop promoting ★Leaders if it grows to be more than 20-30 people (not including alts).
CHAT GUIDELINES | Before joining the Linkshell, please review the following:
- Be welcoming of all invitees, even if they do not currently have a nomadic character.
- Be aged 18 or more and comfortable with mature/adult themes.
- That said, public chats in Discord and in-game should stay SFW.
- Be civil. Even if you do not agree with someone’s thoughts or choices in RP, respect the difference and move on. People will ultimately RP what they want and you have the choice to decide who you conduct RP with.
- If someone doesn’t have their lore straight and you think you can help, bring it up!
- When sharing information about lore, it is courtesy to have sources available.
- When sharing headcanons, please label them as such.
- If you have a problem with someone, SAY SOMETHING! If breaching a subject civilly in public chat is not an option, speak with them privately, or go to a M♥D.
- If you see someone acting unruly, spamming, inciting conflict, etc., please take screenshots of the chat logs and send them to Gehr’ir Ett or other M♥D immediately.
- What kind of roleplay can I expect from Shroud Life?
Camping, Mundane, Social, Survival, Traditional, Tribal. It will truly be what you make of it. I will be depending on those who join to get people together for roleplay as much as I would expect myself to do so. If you want to hang out in a certain place and invent hooks to get people involved, go for it! Advertise what you want to do in the LS and see who takes a bite.
This is purely about making connections and having our characters come together. Characters who would likely not have met otherwise. Perhaps you will make a friend. Perhaps a rival. Everyone is encouraged to organize hunts, adventures, storylines, socializing, etc. Whatever inspires you.
- What sounds/smells can be heard coming from camp?
Crackling fire. A small drum. Depending on the amount of people: laughter, chatter, singing. Will you follow the scent of sage and amber to the warm, flickering firelight in the distance, or will you turn back?
- Where are these camps normally located?
Shroud Life RP can be anywhere, though I have these places in mind:
♠ Lilystone, Central Shroud (X 28, Y 30) Map
♠ Taker’s Rot, South Shroud (X 30, Y 20) Map
♠ South Shroud Landing, South Shroud (X 15, Y 34) Map
♠ Zephyr Drift, Middle La Noscea (X 25, Y 23) Map
♠ Drybone, Eastern Thanalan (X 17, Y 25) Map
Please ignore the mobs, or at least pretend they are random Shroud Life NPCS. If you have ideas for nifty new locations, let me know and I will throw them up here!
- Why is that Xaela purring?
- How do you feel about dice rolls?
They’re all right, though I will go with whatever feels best for my character. For larger events, there is an in-game roll system I created called RNGCSMD (RNG Can Suck My Dic). More info on that here.
- What are some hooks I can use to approach these camps and get involved in RP?
You can always brainstorm with others who are online to see if they can help you as well, but my general go-tos are:
1) You are tired/starving/injured and desperate for rest. Survival instinct draws you to thoughts of company for help, even if you might have to inconvenience a stranger.
2) You are relaxing at camp/hunting/etc when you notice flickering firelight in the distance. Curiosity compels you to investigate.
3) During your last trip into the city, you heard about a group of savages making camp in the area. Sounds like your kind of people!
Please keep in mind encroaching upon someone’s camp is a form of trespassing. If a weapon gets pulled on you, that is a perfectly reasonable survival response, especially if they do not know you. If your character wants to make nice, it is their responsibility to convince the other person they are not a threat.
- You mentioned sharing sources for Wilderness Survival RP. I have not done my research just yet, but I am interested in learning more. Do you have any suggested reads for me?
Of course! Here’s is a brief list:
Wilderness Survival [Source: Mizahar]
How To Use EVERY Single Part Of An Animal [Source: Off The Grid News]
- What do you think of feral characters?
I have heard the term but have not RP'd with someone who refers to their character as such. Although I do not necessarily agree with usage of the term to describe a member of sentient race, they would probably fit into what I am trying to do, I think?
- You mention I have to be 18 years are older and that I have to be comfortable with mature/adult themes. What does this mean? Is this group going to be a huge clusterfuck of ERP?
Sounds like a great idea!:
- Seriously though!
These are soft guidelines. I am just narrowing down the type of person I want to appeal to by providing as much info as I can. Those who find what I have written to be relatable and are actually reading this far down are the people I want to meet. I do not care so much about the specifics, but know I am NOT trying to appeal to all of you. This kind of rp isn't for everyone.
- What is your availability?
My time zone is CST (Central Stanard-US) and I am available daily between 9pm CST and 3am CST.
- Can I still do this even if I have an FC/my character lives in a house/has a room somewhere?
Considering I do not intend on making this an FC, yes. Yes and yes.
- Your question here.
Ask me stuff.
- Your Group Here \ Contact \ URL \ Info
Huge thanks to everyone who has been able to entertain my desire for camp RP thus far. Thank you Maqali and Sanrai for helping me review this information. E'salih for going out of their way to make and level various characters just to help me explore mine. Morbolvine CLAN for being the first FCs I joined and initial introduction to Keeper RP. I made it this far thanks to you guys! #end sappy