...A Fighter's Soul (Open)

He rush forward, Raimy bloody and broken form before him.  He reach out to try and heal, fear welling up as his hands pass through the body, and he fell pass/through Raimy's body into darkness.  Hands on him...holding him even as he struggle..."TITOR...Someone...make it stop..." he cries out, even as something pulls bits of scales painfully from his body....

His eyes shot open even as he swallows the scream that almost escapes from his throat.  He took several deep breaths, searching the ceiling.  Not recognizing where he was at.  Kit stir a little in her book and then he remember, little bit's and pieces forming a whole.  Weapon practice in the Zero Division basement.  With Kiht'to soundly handing him his tail and reprimand for not drawing blood.  Before he could saw anything to it. A voice came over the com, calling for Healers to meet outside.

He scoop up his pack, pulling Kit's book from it, even as the new spell he had place on it took effect, changing his clothes that he wore for Training into healer robes.  What they found when they got outside, horrified him, and argue him as well.  The female Au Ra laid on the other side of the, limbs broken, body slash up, her scale torn from her body, and when he started to try and slow the bleeding with his aether, poison ran through her blood.  Then she call out Raimy's name.

Titor had look pointedly at him, "If only we could see her memories?"  John knew what Titor was asking of him.  To break off healing and 'Dream' her memories.  The risk to her, with them being only two healers, and the fact that Titor aether was so low worried him, as well as the risk of losing himself in her memories...

He lifted his hand up, it shaking from the fact of what he had done, the lingering nightmare, and low aether.  He had 'Dream' her memories, seeing Raimy's body, the place that he was being held at in Ul'dah, and from the nightmare, what Amaya must have experience when she was caught by whoever had Raimy.  The darker part of Ul'dah, the place, he had heard from those that he heal; that if you went down, you didn't come back...alive.

His mind was already thinking through plans.  Photos of the different way to enter the building.  The number of guards that patrol the area.  Who might be enter and exiting.  He was sure that if he was caught, he would have to fight his way out of there...especially if they found out he was part of the division...because Amaya was right, she was a warning to the group about staying away.

Yet he couldn't do anything to help them if he didn't recover his aether.  John's eyes narrow at the ceiling.  And once they were ready, they would get Raimy back...even it it meant he would have to draw blood to do so.

The group meet at Horizon, gathering there as the final bit of planning was done before going after Raimy.  He ignore the burning in his left arm, as he mount Safire.  The group made for the Silver Bazaar, where Raimy was being held.  As Titor work out how they would go in, John spread his fingers out, testing the aether in the area, hoping to pinpoint where Raimy was at.  There wasn't any sense of Raimy and he wished that he had been around the other more so he would have had a better reading on the other's aether.  He then watch Titor move over, knocking over an oil lamp to start a fire.

He follow after, the group going through the back window, and startling the guard that was there.  John just had a moment to take in the attack directed at him, calling out to Kit.  He thought that she would just do a tackle at the sword man but his stomach twist at the sight of her catching on feet on the man's chest and clamp her teeth on the man's nose.  He started beating on her and John went to ready a Ruin spell when she drop from the man's face, teeth holding part of the man's nose.

The rest of the fight was blurr, narrowing into one focus point when Titor call him back into the building.  They had found Raimy, in an even worst condition that he had seen in Amaya's memories.  Titor telling him to teleport him and Raimy out of there.  The moment that they came back from the lightshow, he drag the other into the medbay.  He settle onto the bed beside Raimy, taking a moment to place his hand on the other's face.  'John,' Kit whisper in his head but he ignore it.  He reach in himself, letting his aether flow into Raimy, pushing more into the other when the wounds weren't healing fast enough.  The rest blurr again, this time from the draining that he had done with his aether.  He thought that Kit had call out to him to stop at one point and then someone had scoop him up and he found himself in bed.

Titor's voice faded as he finally pass out, only to find himself back in that memory again.  'No, no, no...' he thought, watching Fabrellet come toward him.

"Curse child, I'll make sure that you pay for your sins.  The elements still call for your to be return to the void."  The dark blade coming down at his heart again.  He brought his hand up, blinking as he found that he was holding Kit's book.  His eyes narrow for a split second and then he aim the book at Fabrellet, casting Ruin, and knocking him back and into the light of the opening door.

His eyes shot open, blinking as he found that he was sitting up in bed, and Kit's book open as if he had just cast a spell.  The cut on his arm flared in icy heat and then faded to a dull throb.  'John,' Kit scare voice sounded in his head.

He weakly settle back into the bed.  "I'm ok," he whisper aloud.  He was breathing hard but he left the book open on his chest.  "It's just a nightmare, Kit.  I'm not going to worry them any more then they are."  He also didn't want Howl to think he was using this to get him to talk to him again.  John let his eyes close, waiting for sleep to claim him, waiting for the nightmare to return.  Yet, as sleep claim him, his mind slip into darkness but not of the nightmare, it was into true sleep.

Somewhere in a cave in Thalana.  The elezen sat up, rubbing at his chest.  The dark blade had been laid on the other side of the cave.  "He should not have been able to attack.  He should not have that kind of power at that point."  Fabrellet growl as he unsteadily got to his feet.

'He is ssstrong,' the elementals/darkness hissed in his head.  They shadows wrap around the elezen.  'But given time, even the ssstrongessst can be broken.'

"Yes, yes," he said, retriving the blade from the floor of the cave.  "His sister ruin me and he will pay her price."

'Yesss,' they hiss.  'Once he isss dead, we will reward you, yesss.'

Yes, he would kill the void spawn child and release the elements back into the realm.

'Sssoon,' the shadows hissed to each other.  Yes, soon they would have two new bodies to use to break free from the void.

• 3 weeks later...

The last few weeks pass in a blurr...between weapon practice, treasure hunts, Grindstone, and dealing with the dream about Fabrellet, he should be out cold.  Yet Khuj'a's words still play in his head.  Patch them up well enough that they can get through the fight...don't drain you aether so much...this isn't how heal on the battlefield.  Then Restless came to him and slam the crystals idea right out the window.  So he sat while Kit rested in the book.  What had gone wrong...he was sure the formula had been right?  He was sure it was work...until he realize that he didn't calculate the aether that the crystal had to draw.  He was right back at the starting point.

"No...no...no..." he said, crumbling a piece of paper with each no.  Everything...all his calculations...he was still using his aether.  He wanted to scream at this point.  "Nothing is working...everything I've try...it still not working."

Kit's sleepy aether touch his mind.  'It work for right now,' she said.  'Get some sleep and speak to the others tomorrow.  They should have a clearer idea on how to go about this.'

John sigh, standing up from the desk.  He was so drain, both mental and physically.  No matter how he look at it...the elementals were going to win.  He look at the trembles in his left hand and wanted to laugh in bitterness over it.  It was just a matter of time now.

'John,' Kit said again, as he move over to the bed.  'Khuj'a was just helping...'

John drop down onto it.  "I don't get it, Kit.  I try to explain why the Grindstone was set up the way it was...yet it felt like he threw everything I learn from Warren back at my face."

'I'm sure once he speak to Warren, he'll understand.'

He drop back on the bed, pulling his feet up, and kicking off his shoes.  "I don't know if he will come back and we're so task on healers there."  He hadn't felt drain while he had been using the crystals but he can feel the pull on his aether now.  "I feel like I'm letting them all down...because I can't stand the elementals and they can't stand me."

She said nothing back to that statement.  He didn't know if it was approval or disapproval over his statement.  "Raimy and his wanting me to go to a brothel.  How could he even suggest that as a good idea...especially with Lady Amaya in the room."  His eyes were starting to drift close.  "why must Sir Khit'to always push," he yawns, "alcohol on me...stomach still turn from feel of fried Dodo..."

The darkness in his parents room was even thicker then usually as he found himself in his ten year old body.  The fever had grown more, his whole body shaking from it and the chill that encircle him.  He struggle as he sat up...finding Kit book in his hands.  He waited...watching to door open as Fabrellet step into the room.  He watch the elezen smirk at him.  "So, you think that you can fight me, curse one."  He pause, frowning as the miqo'te stared at him, unnerving him slightly.  "What, no fear now that you accept your fate?"

"No..." John whisper.  "I challenge you to honorable combat...in two week time."  He watch Fabrellet step back.

"You...you challenge me...who has the backing of the elementals."

"Yes, to honorable magical combat."  He sat his hand on Kit's book.  "In two weeks, we will face each other in the waking world.  Whoever wins...will take the other's life.  That is if you and your elementals masters are not afraid to face me as myself instead of in this sick weak body."

"Two weeks...and what is to stop you from running...not that I won't find you if you did."

"I have business that I must settle here.  I won't run even after that.  There is a set of caves up from Camp Black Brush.  We will face each other near Cutter's Cry."  He waited to see what he would do.  It was a risk but he would take it.

Fabrellet face look thoughtful.  "No one to help you...and once I slay you, the elementals will bless me even more."  He move to put the dark dagger away.  "Then I'll accept your challenge..."  John only has a moment to see something dark and sinister sweep over Fabrellet's face.  "No...you will diesss," he/they said, leaping for John.

Kit's book was open and he launch Bio at Fabrellet/elementals? with Ruin following after.  A blue gold light launch itself from beside him and tackle it/herself into Fabrellet, throwing him back through the door.

John grasp awake, only to curl around his left arm as not only trembles ran through it but something dark and cold try to surface.  He ignore Kit's panic cries in his head as he force himself to sit up.  He pull the robe down and he could see now the tendrils of void taint running outward from his arm.  "Gods, do the elementals hate me so that they turn to the void to get rid of me completely?"

Howl, he had to find Howl before there was nothing else left of him.  He stumble over to the desk, "Paper...ink...got to make this right...not sure if I have two weeks..."  He began to write or more like rammble into the letter.  He wrote that Sis...no he didn't know that he had started calling Sei sister.  Wrote that Sei said that she hadn't seen him for a while.  He apologies for everything that he had put him, Warren, and Sei though.  He told him to please come home....and he didn't remember what else he wrote...that he knew he had lost against them.  Yes, he knew he was going to lose but not before he made sure that Howl was back with those that care about him.

He seal the letter, stumbling out to the first postmoogle that he saw.  "Please...you have to find a Seeker by the name of Howl," he said, pushing it into the hands of the moogle.  "Tell him that it's from John Waterstrike...that it's urgent and he has to read it."

"Are you alright, kupo?  You look too pale."

"I'm fine right now...but you have to make sure he gets this.  Please hurry."  John watch the postmoogle nod and flutter away.  He look at the still dark sky.  "Time...got to pack...going to take all day to search Thanalan.  I swear Howl...I'll find you."  He stumble back toward the inn, throwing gear into a pack.  He headed for the gate to Western Thanalan calling Safire to him.  "Please behave...I don't have to time to fool with them.  Kit, keep your nose up for his aether."

'You need to see Titor and the others...they can help.'

"I will...after we find Howl."

• 3 weeks later...

The dagger plunging into his left arm broke the sleep spell that was over him.  He try to scream as thousands of tiny knives lance through his skin, through his soul, only to have his air cut off as he is grab by the throat.  The voidsent sneered at him, before laughing.  "Yesss, they feed very well on you..."  The dagger is pull out of his arm, place back onto the belt.

"I...can help...." John force out, reaching up to try and drive the voidsent energy from the soul.  His eyes widen as he found no soul there.  "What did....you do?"

"We feasssted, sssso delicious was his hate..."  'He' smirk at John as anger flash in his eyes.  "Yesss, get angry, hate ussss...the better your ssssoul tassste."

He could feel the cuts moving across his neck, he could see what he could become if he didn't fight the hatred that was trying to over power everything else.  His blood was pounding in his ears even as he was slam into the wall of stone behind him.  He saw Titor and Kiht'to coming up the path...try to warm them...

It was at that moment that the infection hit his lung and he couldn't hold back the scream of pain.  He hung limp even as Khuj'a and Worren appear, barely making out the words, claiming that he was involve in bring his friends here to become food for the void.  He remember that clear moment of hate, his hand vibrating with healing aether, but hiding that blade of fire aether within.  He is weightless as the creature throws him, even as Worren slams into the creature, and hit smacks into the wall, darkness claiming him as his body falls limp to the ground.

A dark tunnel...a bright light far in the distance, feeling the draw of it.  For a moment, as he moves toward the light, he wonder were Sara is at, but he had seen no sign of Tanya's path companion.  He felt so tired, his soul in pain as he walks forward.  He blinks as he felt something stop him, unsure what was going on, even as he sees his sister running toward him.  "Sister..."

"Oh John, what did he do to you?" she asked, stopping within touching distance.  She reach out her hands to him.  "Come, the others are waiting..."

He stares at her hands but he was rooted to the spot, names whispering through his head.  'Howl, I can't help him if I die.  Sei, I promise that I wouldn't leave sis behind.  Warren, how can I leave him down a healer for Grindstone?  To never see another of Lady Jancis's events...or speak of new healing method.  I want to help Titor make Eozera a better place.  Cliodhna and Erik wedding....I want to see her smile like Tanya should have with Sam.  I could learn even more from Sir Kiht'to...Raimy....Khuj'a...Worren...'  He look at her and shook his head.  "I can't.  I can't come with you."

Tanya frown, look him over, her green eyes narrowing in on something behind him.  "I understand..." she said, then smile.  "Please, keep fighting while I see what I can do to help."  Then she was gone, leaving him alone in the dark.

He fought the best way he knew how, he reach out for the aether of those around him, and use that the protect what was left of his soul, keeping the void from feed on the rest of himself.  He wasn't sure how long he was in that place before there was a sharp flash of something breaking, and then he was falling backwards and into a well of pain.  He finally force his eyes open to see a blurr image of Titor above him.  Relief flooded through him.  "Ti...Titor..."  It was turely over...

John was curl up on the couch, notes scatter around the area.  Kit was curl up against his hip, hmming in her sleep.  He reach out an ran his hand down her fur.  "If Khuj'a used a mix aether vibration, perhaps that would counter the shell song," he said.  He felt Kit stir under his hand.  "Wish I could still be on the research for it."

'Too dangerous,' Kit whisper in his head.  'Soul has just heal from your encounter with Fabrellet.'

A Siren...that almost took down their whole group.  If it hadn't been for Khuj'a battle plans...and him stuffing his and Kit's ears with wax.  "It was too close...far to close, Kit."  He could also see that the song that the Siren used had effect the group emotion.  "It's going to take a while before any of them recover."  He look down at his glove hands, "Could my dreaming help off set the effect...or make it worst?"  He should talk to Raimy and Titor about it, get there opinions on how to go about helping the others.  "She was really pretty, for a monster."

'John,' Kit said, rubbing her head against his side.

"She saw me and I couldn't help thinking how pretty she was," he said, "but I saw how the others were reacting."  He lean forward and place his head in his hands.  "I could have done something...should have done something...knock the others out...attack...attack her."

Kit crawl up on his shoulder, cooning in his ear.  'For what it's worth, I'm glad you didn't attack but focus on the others.  Looking at her would have gave her more of a chance to influence you more.'

"Khuj'a save all of us.  I don't want to think what would have happen if he hadn't been there."  They all would have become food for the Siren.  "I'm glad that we manage to break the shell hold on her...but..."

'She has to pay for the crimes that she done as the Siren.  It can't be help.'

John stood up, moving over to the fireplace.  He slip his hands into the pockets of his robe, staring at it.  "It sounded so lonely..." he whisper, his soul ache at the half remember song.  He tired hard to remember what it sounded like but it was like it was at the edge of his hearing.  Yet if he didn't try, it was there, making his soul ache in loneliness as well.

Kit coon in his ear again.  'Don't think about it...please.  I felt your aether changing.'

He frown at that bit of news.  "I remember Khuj'a asking me to listen again...could feel the aether vibration and I couldn't quite make out the song."  He force his hearing only to pay attention to the song, feeling tired when he finally could just make it out, and his soul was overwhelm by an aching loneliness, as deep as his bones.  "Then I open my eyes with Sir Khit'to over me."

'Don't do it again.'

He reach up to rub Kit's head, leaning his own into her movement.  "Sorry, but I still would like to find out more about that shell.  I'll see if Khuj'a will at least let me sit in on his studies of it.  Maybe take notes."  And thinking of Khuj'a, there was something he needed to talk to his new little brother about.  "I still can't believe he did that.  The pain I would have cause him if I had die while he was holding my soul."  What was he going to do with him?  "Wonder if this is what Tanya went through, worrying about how I would act as a healer."

'We could speak to him...see what he has to say about it.'

"You're right, I do need to have a talk with him, if only to understand what he did to both of us.  It would come in handed to have two healer that can sync right off."  He walk back over to his notes, gathering them up, and packing them away.  He then went down stairs to see if Khuj'a was in his office.

• 1 month later...

Sleep was fitful at best in Khuj'a home but not for it being a strange house.  John ran his hand down his face, remembering back to the 'fight' they had at the Runestone.  Well, it wasn't a fight more a discussion about Khuj'a wanting to teach him offensive magic.  At the time, he didn't want to deal with any magic at all, too tied up over the fact that what he had thought was love this time had been a stupid crush again.

And it hadn't help his nerves when Khuj'a didn't come out of the teleport at the hall and to get "Sorry Big Brother..." and then static.  He hadn't realize that he had fallen asleep on the step until the sound of the door clicking closed woke him up.  He did let him know that he had been worried and if he needed time away, he could have just told them where he was going.

They ended up going to Ul'dah, with plans to have Khuj'a begin to teach him some offensive spells.  John had taken Khuj'a up to where he and his sister would people watch.  He laugh and call out to two couples in the court below them as he overheard them talking about the Grindstone, how he looked forward to seeing them in a match and that he hope that they would not be injure and need him for healing.  Then he and Khuj'a had talk briefly about their family, Khuj'a lack of siblings, and then he finally asked Khuj'a what was wrong and why he had been distance with all of them.  It hurt that Khuj'a thought that they were using him.  That he was waiting for them to toss him aside after they had gotten what they wanted out of him.  'Why did I not see this...why did any of us not seen this sooner.'  He offered him a deal...why he was in Zero Division, not only for his healing but also for his other 'ability'.

They arrived at Khuj'a home, away from unwanted ears listening in on what he was going to say.  "I'm placing my life and that of our friends in your hands.  I trust you and hope this will show that you can trust me as well," he said.  He spoke of the "Dreaming", how it worked, what kind of state it put me in, how he hope to use it to heal, and left it open to what could be down with it if someone found out and wanted to use him.  "I want you to teach me but only if you want to.  I don't want you to feel like you're being used."

John got up from the couch, his aether feeling like he does when he step out onto the Grindstone to heal.  No, more like his first fight on the battlefield when he had still been part of Sam's unit.  Why, why did he feel like he was in the middle of a fight?  He move over to where Khuj'a bedroom was and moving the sliding door to look in on his 'brother'.  He couldn't tell if Khuj'a might be having the nightmares he spoke of but allow his aether to flow outward, touching Khuj'a own, and hopefully chase away any nightmares that might want to take hold of the younger miqo'te.  "You're not alone little brother.  We'll always be there for you."

He slides the door close.  "I think I might need to speak to Titor or Reimy about this.  We have to get Khuj'a to realize that we're not going to throw him away."

• 2 weeks later...

John woke up, the lingering affect of the nightmare fading into the background, and ran his hand down his face.  He place his hand on Kit's book, letting his aether to flow into it so she could be calm in sleep.  The nightmare made him face some hard truths, ones that he had push aside, or forget.  Salacea's control over the dreamscape would affect all of them for a long while.  Still, they did have time, to heal and to regroup.  'To keep going on even when we don't have the strength but the will to do so.'  It was words that Mick said to Sam and the others before they lost him.  'Maybe it's truly time to start living by those words.'

He sat up, looking over the upstairs lounge with a bit of a smirk on his face, as he took in the papers scatter around the couch he had been sleeping on.  It pretty much had become his office/sleeping area.  He should probably take Titor up on the offer about moving into one of the empty rooms in the hall but that nobility part of himself had turn Titor down.  He back was paying for it now, with that ache in his back, but it was quiet and mostly no one seem to really use it for a sitting area.  He look down at the papers to his left, wondering what Sir Reiner would say to his determination on research a way to use White Magic.  "No, best to keep his out of his line of sight.  Bad enough I'm in his sights about the way I heal."  He wouldn't go to Khuj'a though, not wanting his 'little brother' to feel he was being used.

"I'll do this on my own.  I'll need to work on my control of ice element before finally tackling my lack of control on lightning."  He then turn to the request he was working on to Titor.  A request to speak with 'Raimy's' brother about his research in the dream crystals.  "Perhaps we can find a way to safeguard them from a repeat of our situation."  Thinking of control made him remember that he needed to speak with Shin.  What took place in the dream could very well happen in the waking world.  "I hope that his offer for meditation will still stand." 

He stood up with a groan, stretching his back out, and step over the papers to place his hand on the mantel of the fireplace.  It was good that he had been far more concern with healing at the Grindstone then thinking over how afraid he was to even think about touching anyone.  The sooner he got this under control, the sooner he could help Raimy with is situation.  "I can't keep doing this."

'John," Kit whisper.

John smile, placing his hand on Kit's book, rubbing the three aether crystals with his fingers.  "Did you sleep better, after Lady Canny apology?" he asks.  "I'm sure she understands now why you were so fearful when she did that."

'Yes,' she said, her aether shivering under his touch.  'Thought I was going to lose you.'

"She'll make sure she'll ask know before drawing aether from you."  He stares into the fire for a long while.  "I think it's time..."

'Time?'

"Yes," he said.  "I've been keeping my 'Dreaming' ability away from the whole group.  It's time they knew what I can do...and how to help me if I get into a situation like what Salacea put me through."  He brush a stray bit of hair from his eyes.  "The sooner they know, the less they will panic if I have to do a 'Dream' or if I'm lost in it, with the way I was when the siren made me 'dream' her memories."

• 3 months later...

John yawn as he passes out of the gates of Bentbranch, making for the lake and the boat that would take him to Lavender beds.  He had already made sure that Kit was back in her book and resting before he left Gridania.  Hopefully, he would catch Titor and see if the linkpearl was fixed.  Maybe once he had it back in his ear, then the oddness of the vibration of aether would go back to normal.

When John was far enough away from any guards or any noise, they attacked. A small group of three Imperials sprung out at once, surrounding the Miqo'te. There was no time for an exchange of words, or anything of that nature before they would spring towards John. One would attempt to press a rag to his face with a sleep-inducing compound in it, while the others would move for his arms and legs to secure him.

Maybe because he had been on edge, even in his tired state, he was able to draw his dagger from underneath the pack at his hip.  He slam the hilt against the head on one of his attackers, not waiting to see if he had been knock out.  He drop below the rag, sending an elbow into the others stomach.  He felt a set of hands latch onto his arm, and he free the other dagger from the pack, wincing as he realize that when he drew it, the blade part ended up going into the one that was holding him side.  He didn't have time to say anything he something kick him in the side, making him lose one of his daggers.  He manage to get another couple of blows in before another kick sweep him off his feet, his head slamming down on one of the stones along the road.

The man cursed as the dagger entered his side, the other two working more fervently to pin down John and remove the weapons from him. Once he was down on the ground, they tried to press the rag with the knockout solution over his nose and mouth. "You are going to pay for that, cat. Why are all you Eorzeans so stupid." He mocked, bringing his foot down on John's stomach when he was on the ground to knock the air from him.

John cried out as the foot came down on his stomach, curling around the foot, and slamming the dagger into the other leg, again blood coating this dagger as well.  He then rolled, holding onto the leg to throw the other off.  His nose pick up the sickly sweet on the rag, though he was half blind by the blood from his own forehead that had meet the stone.  Letting go of the other that he had flip into the other man, his fist slam into the face of the one holding the rage.  'I promise, Howl, I'll make sure that I'll leave them bruised and bloody.'  He remember telling Howl that the week before.  'Looks like I'll live to see that promise.'  A fist came at him, making his jaw ring as it hit.  He stumble back, tasting copper from his lip.

John's fighting continued to make the three Garleans angry, they began treating him rougher, and with more force and vigor than they had though of before. A few of them uttered strings of curses, while one shouted out orders to detain him at all costs.

They moved to secure his arms first, the three of them working in unison to remove the dagger from him and begin to tie up his arms. "Just cooperate. No one has to get hurt here. The only way you will get hurt is if you do something stupid and fight, like you are. Just... sit there, shut up, and come with us. If all goes well, you walk away otherwise unscathed."

Even as the dagger was taken, John still kept fighting.  He manage to get another few hits in before he was cold cocked.  Stuggling against the spinning world, the sickly sweet rag was finally pressed into his face, probably harder then was needed.  He struggle for another minutes, though they slow down as the drug began to work on him, his eyes rolling back into his head as he finally sub come to the drug, going limp in their grip.

"Good cat." One of the Garleans commented as John's struggling began to subside. "That was all you had to do, this whole time." He said mockingly as John went out cold.

John had slip unconscious after the others had reassure him that Kit was nearby, not realizing that they lie to him so he wouldn't panic.  His ability to heal was nothing as the binding on all of them seem to be aether-resistant.  Before he had slip unconscious, he try to think how much healing would be needed, listing his injuries in his head.  A crack rib, most likely from when the foot was stomp into his stomach.  The caked blood meant that he had a head injury, a black eye, probably from the cold cocked he got.  He wasn't sure what other injuries he had.

He wish he had been able to talk them out of it but he had been given no time... or no quarter to try and sound an alarm to Howl, Warren, or even on Aethertide's linkpearl.  He was sure Sir Tertius would realize that something was up, when he didn't show up in the morning to have him fix his camera.  He just wished that he didn't feel so cold and empty because of the strange binding.  Maybe if he had been better at fighting... would Warren and the others been proud that he try to fight them off.

'I want us to go home, sister...'

• 2 months later...

John knew better then to lean over the highlander the moment the eyes flash open.  One more lesson to file away, 'keep well away from unconscious fool who wake up still fighting' rules that he would need to restudy again or have Howl help him practice on.  He head bloom with pain, stars dancing in his field of vision, his body was sailing through the air, and a white hot anger rush over him.  'No one touches Johny and gets away with it.'  There is a flash of something in his eyes and he felt his body twist and darkness closed in on him.

"John...gods John, son are you alright..." He could hear his Mom's voice as he blink at her, through the vibration of aether as he felt the healing spell she was using.  He frown as he his body shift slightly upwards and then down, and then up, down.  He look down, ears shooting up as he took in first the dagger in his hand, resting in his lap, and then under where he was sitting was the highlander, out cold from the blooming bruise that was coloring the side of the hyur's head.  He look up, panic starting to show in his eyes.  "He's alright, you just knock him out.  I'm going to have Mimi take you into the next room while the Brass Blades see to these two."  She point first to the one that was under him and then the midlander that was still out cold in the other bed.

It didn't take long for him to scamper into one of the other rooms, Mimi right behind him.  "That was great, Master Waterstrike," she said, finishing up the healing that his mom had first started on him.  She notice he was shaking a little.  "It's ok, I know you don't like fighting."

"I don't want to do it again..." he whisper, though to her or himself, he isn't sure.  Especially since he didn't know how he had done it as well.  He look down at his shaking hands, remembering hearing Pick's voice before he black out.  'What have I done to myself when I touch Pick's memories?'

• 3 weeks later...

John came out of the teleport, blinded by the pain in his arm, and wanting to scream even though his lungs had close up on him.  He drop to his knees, blood soaking into his jacket, and dripping onto the stone under him.  'John...John...' Kit's voice, working it way through the roar of pain.  He felt her aether, leeching the poison from his system, and easing the pain somewhat.  He look up and pass Kit, finding himself infront of the Dusk.  He reach up, placing his hand over the new wound on his left arm, the strike that Lady M'lissa gave with her poison dagger having struck the point that Fabrellet had struck with that void taint dagger.

'Hate her...hurt you.' Kit was crying into his chest, even as he heal the new wound on his arm.  After removing his hand from the heal stab wound, he ran a finger down her back.

"I...push too hard..." he said, the pain in his lung not making it easier to get air into them.  "She...was trying to...protect..."  He look over to the door, before forcing himself to his feet.  He had to get inside before the others woke up.  Hopefully it would rain soon before the anyone would notice the blood on the ground.  He stumble across the grass, almost slamming against the door.  "Do...don't say...anything, Kit."

He push the door open and close it.  No one was up and made his way to the doors that lead to their rooms.  Pain tremors were starting up, his body catching up to the amount of pain the poison had started up before Kit was able to leech the poison from his system.  He made it to his room, locking the door behind him, sliding down the door, and curling into a ball.  He just hope that she could forgive him for making her feel the need to attack him.

• 5 months later...

John barely had time to pass the message to Kestlona for Sizha.  That they had a lead on information concerning the notes in Micky's book.  Then he was riding hard after Sam, heading for Southern Thanalan.  "Do you think it might be the one?"

"It could just be a random voidsent." Sam said, sending Shooting Star flying pass the Flame guards at the gate.  "The fact it was spotted at the same place where Micky 'learn' that spell..."

"So, what is the plan?"

"The plan is to see if it's still there." Sam said.  "Then," he pats the pouch at his side, "we hope that the counter spell that Thomas wrote up actually works."

"I will.  Dad double check it with all of his other books." John said.  "Just have faith in him."

"I do but this thing has been trying to pick us off for years once it realize that the spell didn't work the way it was suppose to."  Sam bow his head.  "Gods, Micky, how could you have throught this was a good idea."

"He was just wanting to have us stay together...he didn't think..." but it offer little comfort to John that after Tanya's death the voidsent realize that Micky had been smart to change it to his advantage.

Sam was growing more weary as they near the place talk about in Micky's notes.

• 9 months later...

A flash of light across the clashing blades, hair becoming wet with sweat as the fight became more heated from his opponent, and he turn the blade again to dislodge the dagger from the other fighter's right hand.  "WHY YOU DAMD..." the Roe threw a punch at him and he drop down, sweeping his leg out to send the other tumbling across the battle and he is on him again, bring the handle of the dagger down only to stop just at the point of the skull that would have knock the Roe out.

"Eagle wins," Ax call out, and John move to replace the daggers when he found himself flying across the room, landing hard on his back.  "That's enough, Kid.  Eagle won the practice match."

"Won...WON?  He didn't even fight.  I want a rematch and I want him to actually...urk..." Kid began ranting, only to drop as a well place hit of a lance knock him out.

"It would seem..." Slayer said, "That I'll have to be the one to work on Kid's anger issue."

John tune them out, focusing on getting air back into his lungs.  A slight shadow cut out the light and he crack an eye open to look up at Shun/Blade.  "You did well, Eagle." he said, dropping down beside him and holding out a bottle of water.  "You still blunt you talons but you are growing quicker with your attack."

John sat up, taking a drink of water, and taking the daggers from Bandit's hand.  "Why should I cause blood with only a practice match?" John ask.  "It's not like we won't be having to deal with far too much blood being spill soon."  John hung his head.

Bandit laugh, before the lalafell grin cheekly.  "You have time but I should head back and rejoin Cap and the others on the front now that I've brought the message."  He did turn sober, "Though not as much as I'm sure you'll like or that they..." he nods over to the recruits "need."  He ruffle John's hair.  "Back I'm off to the line."

John watch Bandit move over to Ax, the pair speaking quietly, and John glance over at the hyur beside him.  "I know you saw the letter...how bad?" he asked quietly.

"Not as bad as you think.  They been some fighting but there is word of a major operation soon.  Cap didn't give the details to it but he said that he'll call us in a few weeks."

John glance at the next pair that were practicing, now understanding why Ax had take these practices more often.  "I'll need to get the others something to remember me by before leave out.  Something to show them that they shouldn't have to worry about me."

He also wanted to make sure that what he gave Howl would be especially meaningful.  He thought for a moment, eyes lighting up as he thought of what to give.  Now he just had to get someone at the Goldsmith guild to craft it for him.