Need Advice On Au Ra Name

So after coming back from a break lasting a few months I picked up the expansion and upon running around in game started falling in love with the Au ra and everything about them.

After forking over $30 (Collectors Edition upgrade with a Fantasia potion + Name Change) I decided to finally go with a male character, an Au ra.  After doing extensive research on their naming and scratching my head alot I finally came up with a name I hope works.

That is where you all come in.  I need advice on the name.  After looking up 16th and 18th century Japanese names I came across one that struck me right off the bat that would fit my guy perfect.

What do you all think about the name Toshihiro?  It seems to fit within naming conventions for a Raen character.  Though I technically went with Xaela I really dislike their naming convention so decided to give him a backstory about being raised with a Raen family (still a work in progress) so it could work.

I think the first name fits great, though I am still having issues with a surname and honestly....it's difficult.  If anyone can give me some pointers that would be great.  I've scoured the wiki's and google and every posting is pretty much the same info but it still doesn't help me.

Hello there.

• Raen naming conventions only require the first name to be Japanese. The last name is completely up to the choice of the player to make.

If you want to have a character with a powerful name, Takeda, Nobunaga and Hideki are pretty cool, though I dont know if they are being used or not.

Hello there.

• Raen naming conventions only require the first name to be Japanese. The last name is completely up to the choice of the player to make.

If you want to have a character with a powerful name, Takeda, Nobunaga and Hideki are pretty cool, though I dont know if they are being used or not.

This is actually incorrect.

To be lore compliant, the above mentioned suggestion is incorrect; using any Japanese name. The current names such as 'Miku' for example is too modern. Correct lore formatting comes from 16th-18th century Japan.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63112-Race-Naming-Conventions?p=3039574&viewfull=1#post3039574

If Raen names are based on Japanese names, does this mean that you can name your Auri warrior after your favorite anime character? Of course! You’ve always been able to do that. Does this mean that you can name your Auri warrior after your favorite anime character and still be within the boundaries of Raen naming conventions? Prrrrrrobably not—the main reason being because the names used in a lot of modern manga/anime are just that: modern. The names that we’ve decided to go with for Final Fantasy XIV, are based off of ones that were prevalent between the 16th and 18th centuries. The Miku in Miku Hatsune? That wasn’t around in the 17th century, so (unfortunately), it isn’t name a Raen family would consider for their daughter, no matter how green/cyan her hair.

Old Japanese names had meaning, and because of that, so do Raen names. Hozan is from 宝山, meaning “treasure mountain.” Yugiri is from 夕霧, meaning “evening mist.” So, simply taking some Japanese phonemes and combining them is not an option.

Nobunaga, Hideki and Takeda have been around since the 14-16th century of Japan, during the warring states and edo period and even way longer before that.

I presented my post weirdly. Yes, the current naming conventions dont use 'modern' Japanese names, but most of the information in my post was correct, first name is Japanese. Last name is completely optional or whatever you want to put there.

For example, if you played the quest to rescue Rahubahn in the 3.0 MSQ, you would see Yugiri's full name as 'Yugiri Mistwalker.' Her full name is not completely Japanese, which means creative freedom to whatever you want your last name to be.

Thank you for all the replies.

As far as choosing a Raen name I just dislike mongolian naming is all.  I didn't choose to go with Raen naming due to "anime".  Like I stated I actually did my research before even thinking of a name and the one I chose in my OP is one from the 16-18 century era.  I didn't choose it due to any anime, I am not like that.

Anywho thanks for the replies.  Already created the guy.  Used the random name generator in game to get a last name so went with the name I wanted for the first name and one the game gave for last name.

Now here's to hoping people aren't that closed minded enough on Balmung to think my name came from some anime -.-  Really hate putting time and effort into my names just to be labeled some anime addict when I'm not >.>

Nobunaga, Hideki and Takeda have been around since the 14-16th century of Japan, during the warring states and edo period and even way longer before that.

I presented my post weirdly. Yes, the current naming conventions dont use 'modern' Japanese names, but most of the information in my post was correct, first name is Japanese. Last name is completely optional or whatever you want to put there.

For example, if you played the quest to rescue Rahubahn in the 3.0 MSQ, you would see Yugiri's full name as 'Yugiri Mistwalker.' Her full name is not completely Japanese, which means creative freedom to whatever you want your last name to be.

A lot of NPCs use non-conventional naming for their surnames. Hamon Holyfist in particular comes to mind. It's difficult to base "appropriate" names off of NPCs since many of them don't follow the rules. Though it's easy to argue that there really aren't many rules for names to begin with--start a new life, choose a new name for yourself. That sorta thing.

Thank you for all the replies.

As far as choosing a Raen name I just dislike mongolian naming is all.  I didn't choose to go with Raen naming due to "anime".  Like I stated I actually did my research before even thinking of a name and the one I chose in my OP is one from the 16-18 century era.  I didn't choose it due to any anime, I am not like that.

Anywho thanks for the replies.  Already created the guy.  Used the random name generator in game to get a last name so went with the name I wanted for the first name and one the game gave for last name.

Now here's to hoping people aren't that closed minded enough on Balmung to think my name came from some anime -.-  Really hate putting time and effort into my names just to be labeled some anime addict when I'm not >.>

Anyone that points to a Japanese name and calls it anime is pretty ignorant. It'd be one thing to be an Ichigo or a Naruto or a Goku, but eh. Toshihiro doesn't have that anime look to it. Plus, if someone is going to avoid RPing with you because the name follows the naming conventions set forth by The Voice of God simply because it looks "anime" they're basically a gigantic jerkass.

I've never said that because of 'anime'. I only copied what the lore folks provided us, and they used Miku as an example.

As for people to think that your came from an anime and they judge you for it? I wouldn't pay any mind to that. Mainly because uh... If they have problems with anime and Japanese things- why are they playing a final fantasy? There's no harm in liking or enjoying anime either.

Anyway my point is, as Kaiten said; anyone who says that is ignorant. Japanese names don't come from anime, they come from actual real historical Japan. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never said that because of 'anime'. I only copied what the lore folks provided us, and they used Miku as an example.

As for people to think that your came from an anime and they judge you for it? I wouldn't pay any mind to that. Mainly because uh... If they have problems with anime and Japanese things- why are they playing a final fantasy? There's no harm in liking or enjoying anime either.

Anyway my point is, as Kaiten said; anyone who says that is ignorant. Japanese names don't come from anime, they come from actual real historical Japan. I wouldn't worry about it.

I didn't imply you said it but apologies for coming off like I did.  Was just stating I never choose my names based on anime was all.  There are many people who will always view certain names as something from an anime and it royal upsets me when I can't find roleplay due to this as well.  Balmung is starting to feel like it is filled with many angry individuals who shun new roleplayers like me.

In the end though I still went with Toshihiro.  I like the name and it fits my character perfectly.  Just wish my situation on finding an FC. friends and RP partners would improve.  I feel like I am leper on this server and people are trying their hardest to avoid me.