THE WRESTLING THREAD OOOH YEAH

I have forever been a Roman Reigns fan for biased reasons: He is basically the real-world equivalent of my make-him-in-every-game-since-wrestlemania-2000-on-the-n64 CAW. I like the guy and what he brings, when he's allowed to actually use it. Don't give him a mic. Don't make him cut witty Cena-esque promos. Just let him go out and do what he did last night.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have forever been a Roman Reigns fan for biased reasons: He is basically the real-world equivalent of my make-him-in-every-game-since-wrestlemania-2000-on-the-n64 CAW. I like the guy and what he brings, when he's allowed to actually use it. Don't give him a mic. Don't make him cut witty Cena-esque promos. Just let him go out and do what he did last night.

He looks good when he's smashing people with chairs. I think the superman punch and spear are weak looking moves, and if he replaced them with actual wrestling moves I would be much more impressed. I want to like him. I really do. He just needs to be allowed to do his own thing and I think he'd be a really great star. I cut my teeth on the Attitude Era, and I get the feeling guys like The Rock and Stone Cold were given a lot more chances to break out and be their own people than the roster does now.

The women's division is putting on some killer matches. Sasha and Becky put on a good match on the pre-show, and that super long commercial, on a service that I pay for, DURING THE CONTENT THAT IS THE REASON I SUBSCRIBE just pissed me off. But man, when they are allowed to to their thing for longer than five minutes, they put on awesome matches. The WWE has so much great talent right now. Management is terrible.

But for wrestling that has never let me down...

REY MYSTERIO ON LUCHA UNDERGROUND YESSSSSSSS

[video=youtube]

CAN YOU FEEL THE HYPE?!

Just posting this as it came up in chat with Warren. I've got some old CoH buddies who I'll be playing this with in between the ending of one game and beginning of another. The system it runs off is pretty easy to pick up and seems like it's going to be a lot of fun.

http://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg/

Wrestling RPG? That's... something I never considered. Huh. Let us know how it goes! I have friends who thought I was crazy when they heard I like wrestling ("u no wrestling is fake rite, lel") but when I explained to them that wrestling is a style of performance art that mimics an athletic competition and has elements of lost theatrical styles that are otherwise entierly niche in modern times, they tend to come around to my thinking. I wonder if they'd indulge me by trying out a wrestling RPG.

Tomorrow night! Ring of Honor Final Battle tomorrow night! I hope Dalton Castle gets his boys back.

Wrestling RPG? That's... something I never considered. Huh. Let us know how it goes! I have friends who thought I was crazy when they heard I like wrestling ("u no wrestling is fake rite, lel") but when I explained to them that wrestling is a style of performance art that mimics an athletic competition and has elements of lost theatrical styles that are otherwise entierly niche in modern times, they tend to come around to my thinking. I wonder if they'd indulge me by trying out a wrestling RPG.

Tomorrow night! Ring of Honor Final Battle tomorrow night! I hope Dalton Castle gets his boys back.

I remember there was some wrestling RP sites that used WWE games as their source for wins and losses.

Back when I played those games, specifically WWE '13, we would choose a wrestler to RP (I had JBL) and we would engage in feuds based on the GM who was basically the admin of the site that paired us up in feuds.

We would start threads and RP our promos out, then face each other in-game. But when we faced each other it wasn't like normal people playing the game, we actually tried to make it look like an actual wrestling match with a slow build and all. No running grapples or anything like that, literally acting like we're pacing the ring at each other and throwing punches occasionally, y'know, rp'ing it out.

Eventually there would be a winner and we'd post the results, do promos again, etc.

It was seriously fun, but not very popular. I maybe took part for about two months.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop back in to say that my friends and I did a test run on the wrestling tabletop system and while the game itself is easy and fun enough, having other players as the announcers definitely added another level of hilarity (or I suppose it could be seriousness depending) to the game.

Overall fun times once we got the hang of it. We'll be starting up our actual game later this week.

At the same time, a lot of ECW's characters were pretty laughable. For every Sandman, Raven, and Tommy Dreamer there was a Balls Mahoney, Joel Gertner, and Snot Dudley. I remember ECW fondly as a place where you could see honest-to-goodness good wrestling alongside crazy freakshow stunts from people with more guts than brains, surrounded by a bunch of really bad shock value crap. It's the best and worst of that era of wrestling. A high water mark for creativity at the time, and a low point in stupid Jerry Springer crap.

Smarky know-it-alls will always be smarky-know-it-alls, and I say this as someone who can definitely be a smarky-know-it-all sometimes.

I always enjoy the rumble, but I hope they don't make it into Reigns vs. Lesnar plus a bunch of other dudes. The Rumble is a time for a lot of talent to shine, and I'm really hoping it doesn't become one giant squash match for the upper card vs. the midcard. I'll be watching this weekend, and I've skipped the last few PPVs.

I want to see Reigns recover the intensity he loses every time he opens his mouth. I don't think Reigns needs a manager the way Lesnar does, but he needs to say very little and bank on his snarl and intimidating presence. He looked so good after spearing Lesnar. I would love it if he did more of that and less telling us what happened last week. I want to buy Reigns as a top guy. Maybe not THE top guy, but one of them.

The problem is, well, they don't seem to want him as A top guy but as THE top guy. Cena's on his way out, well, here's Reigns type of deal. Which would be okay if, well, the undercard wasn't made to look like dorks. Right now, it looks like there's the main event tier, the NXT tier and then filler. Anyone not in these two tiers is lost in the shuffle.

Except for the New Day, who just go out there, do shit, then collect merch money.

Baron Corbin cracks me up. Need a fan favorite attacked? He's your guy. It's basically his gimmick now.

That AJ Styles kid looked pretty good out there. I think he's got a future. xD

That was a damn good Pay Per View. The ending of the Rumble was interesting in a "Well, I guess that's one way to do it" kind of way. I know a lot of people aren't happy about it, but the whole event was so good, I'm willing to keep watching to see how it all plays out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the recording of Raw. Damn good sendoff. And the matches were pretty solid overall as well.

I never really followed wrestling terribly closely when Bryan was a bigger name, so his departure is hardly what I'd call emotional. Still, the way they did it and the hometown crowd was lovely.