Do you use the minions in RP?

GhostlyMaiden

You know the cute little minion things who's only purpose is for Lords of Verminion?

Yeah those!

Do you actually use a minion in RP? If you do, what minion is it? What's the story?

Although I don't use a minion for Nanagi, I do have plans of her obtaining one. I recently obtained the Owlet minion, and I think it's the cutest thing and I want a reason to actually use it.

You know the cute little minion things who's only purpose is for Lords of Verminion?

Yeah those!

Do you actually use a minion in RP? If you do, what minion is it? What's the story?

Although I don't use a minion for Nanagi, I do have plans of her obtaining one. I recently obtained the Owlet minion, and I think it's the cutest thing and I want a reason to actually use it.

I've used minions on occasion in RP for a variety of reasons, usually in scenes that are comedic or sentimental in nature.  One of the best use of a minion in RP I've seen is when a friend who RP's an engineer constructed an accompaniment node ICly to keep him company while going through martial issues with his IC wife.  I'd laugh so hard each time to the node went "beep boop" over IC LSes to signify his IC loneliness and grappling with personal issues. 

Sigurd sometimes helps take care of a fat cat he gave someone very close to him; it's mostly a comedic plot device.

Two of my characters make use of minions!

Hoshi has three, Bun, Sassie, and Pluph. Bun is a baby bun, Sassie is a fat cat, and Pluph is her panda familiar. Bun she bonded with in the Shroud, Sassie she found on the docks, and Pluph is a lesser panda who was gifted to her (and later became her familiar). 

Simi has Noh, who isn't really hers (he belongs to her eldest son), and he's a coeurl cub. 

I definitely do, as seen on my wiki page for Chachan. Gran the Baby Behemoth has been used in quite a few RPs in the past, bounding around and generally thinking more highly of himself than is probably necessary, and there's even been a forum RP involving just him. Technically Chachan has also amassed an oddball assortment of other pets through RP (Icarus the Eggplant Knight, Cake the Fat Cat, and most recently Cube the Demon Block), but I've finagled ways for them to be doing stuff "offscreen" and thus never really use them (Icarus guards the gardens against marmots and the like, Cake chills in the Medical Ward).

My most used minion, though? The cushion. Every Runestone you can see Gogonji being a elitist grump by refusing to sit on the ground and instead busting out that cushion. Even had a conversation over its usefulness recently. Gogon also technically has King (Gestahl minion) and an animated journal he got from deep within the Gubal Library (Page 63), but neither see as much use as the cushion.

It might be a bit cheesy and immersion breaking for some, but I typically use the wind-up Sultana to represent Kinono's daughter during RP. It seems a nice compromise between "just pretend there's a baby here" and playing a whole other alt simultaneously.

Before that, Kinono made use of a little servitor mammet pretty regularly, and I even made sure to TaLk★LiKe★ThIs whenever it had to speak.

For many of the non-wind-up minions (and a few of the wind-ups, as well, such as the Qiqirn), there's no need for a reason to use them in roleplay. You just have to want to. If you want to, then you'll figure out a way to work it into your character's story, and that's that.

Case in point, NUTKIN.

NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN.

Harasses the shit out of everyone in Osric's vicinity. Gods forbid it's around when he visits with someone.

I actually have Nef having adopted the Coeurl Kitten an IC thing because that's so totally her. This creature that is a DANGEROUS WILD ANIMAL loves to go fishing with her. So far I haven't used it IC (bringing a pet to a bar might get her kicked out and/or cut drinking time) but it's in her history.

Both of his daughters have run off with awful Xaela savages and are never around, so Hiroto is relieving his empty nest syndrome with a paissa brat. A paissa brat he is spoiling rotten. Picture one of those old ladies who put their little yappy dogs in diamond-encrusted collars, buy them expensive designer beds, and feed them cooked meals. It's like that.

I recently had an experience where I had to RP (or at least notice) the pet/minion of another character.  It made sense as it was an owl (I think) and people do keep owls.

Were I to have a pet/minion that made some sense for Mia, I might include it.  But Mia is too pragmatic to have any more in the way of accessories than she absolutely needs (and that's a bit boring, I have to say).

For my first character, Zana'to has a gobbue that follows him around each time that he is in the Shroud which is a bit rare.

Kirkirik on the other hand has a stone golem that he manifests every once in awhile with his Conjury to help with odd tasks. It acts more like a puppet though rather then a pet.

I have IC minions. Hibito, my lalafell, has an IC wind-up airship that's a model/prototype that he built. The hunting hawk - when I get it - will be IC for Navarre.

I've used the Wind-Up Moogle to represent a minor NPC moogle for an RP campaign I was running.

Like anything else, I think they can be fun and useful tools in our roleplay.

For many of the non-wind-up minions (and a few of the wind-ups, as well, such as the Qiqirn), there's no need for a reason to use them in roleplay. You just have to want to. If you want to, then you'll figure out a way to work it into your character's story, and that's that.

Case in point, NUTKIN.

NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN NUTKIN.

Harasses the shit out of everyone in Osric's vicinity. Gods forbid it's around when he visits with someone.

I AM VERY HAPPY YOU PUT THAT NUTKIN TO GOOD USE.

NOW HELP ME NAME SHIT.

It's come through RP that Kage has amassed a zoo of sorts of nice animal companions. It started with Shiron the chocobo whom he was left in the care of when its former owner left the chocobo as they ran away while Kage was training to become a Sultansworn. His most recent addition is a hawk preceded just before that was a warbear that he fought to submission.

Mama Griffin has recently laid her eggs in the nest she's made so if anyone was a close friend of Kage's and wanted one ICly... hit me up.

I considered just linking this for you as it answers your question too.

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Kage_Kiryuu#tab=Mounts_2C_Pets_2C_Companions

When Solenne gets the owlet, it will be her IC pet. She is particularly fond of birds. As for Michaux, a tiny bat recently moved into his cave and he's too apathetic to drive it away, so he now has a pet bat both IC and OOC. Its name is Plunkett, because Michaux finds that name ridiculous. And Tatsu will definitely have pets, especially anything water-related, since she's a beach babe and a fisherwoman. Smallshell will be perfect, for one.

I use a few pets mostly the cats and my animated book. THe book is something my healer found out in Gubal and it sorta followed him home. So now its mostly a prank he leaves it on the shelf and when someone goes to grab it it grabs back.

I only acknowledge them if someone else does first.  Begrudgingly at that.

Echoing Crofte. It seems to be a very popular thing to do but is never really something I've felt was...natural, persay? Sort of akin to the blonde woman who runs around with the chihuahua in her purse.

You do you though.

Arala has Cait Sith doll named geppetto (has his own profile on the wiki) that for most of the first few weeks implementing him, was like a mammet who couldn't speak. Later he gains a voice and other things.

Geppetto is like a young kid with a love for Popotos and says "Doodle" for various reasons. Like a hello, yes or Huh?

If you want a better idea of adorable...

Fuse A Chao with Yotsuba and you got geppetto

Currently I am doing a Carbuncle but I am being super cautious about it being perverted but still dignified. Like yes he wants to see a woman's undergarments but not when there is something important going on.

Other than those, there is the black chocobo carrier for P'rita.