SpellGuard ✨ May 25 ✨ 10 PM EST

Shoshopu

YZ5S5iu.png

Shopu & Totowai present Spellguard, a new small-team and magic-based competition! Test your teamwork and tactical skills in contests of magical strategy! You and a teammate must protect your team's shield generator, which protects you from the opposing team's spells. Your team's goal is to deactivate the opposing team's generator. The team which goes undefeated for the entire night will be rewarded a modest gil prize and bragging rights as the finest Spellguardians!

All are invited to spectate, and all mages are invited to compete! We only ask that spectators do just that, and not interfere with the event!

IC RULES:

**Updated 7/23/2016**

1. No killing. Spells with the intent to maim or kill your opponent will not be tolerated. This rule is enforced for the duration of the event.
  2. No forbidden magic. While we encourage a wide variety of magic and aetheric manipulation, and don't mind if you bring experimental elements to the competition, we desire to keep the magic safe for the users, competitors and spectators. Magic such as Void Magic and Black Magic, for instance, can endanger yourself and others around you. We shall enforce this rule for the duration of the event. Please have a word with Spellguard staff in advance if you are unsure whether your particular school of magic is permitted.
    --- The Familiar Clause: If you are an arcanist, mammeteer or use other, multiple magical or magic-wielding familiars, we ask that you choose one (1) familiar for each round.
  3. Be considerate and respectful to eachother! This includes: fellow competitors, fellow spectators, equipment, and event staff. Event staff are to be respected and treated as a temporary form of authority by spectators and combatants in regards to Spellguard. 
  4. In the event that combatants themselves become injured during the round, you are required to accept healing from Spellguard staff in order to proceed to the next round.

We reserve the right to remove violators from the premises for the duration of the event.

Time:

Every other Friday at 10 pm EST

(Time conversion)

Next tournament: May 11

QbFspZt.png

Seagaze Markets at the Mist, 6th Ward

Mechanics and OOC

Spellguard is a new RP event on Balmung that aims to take a tried and true formula and offer it from a new angle: 2v2! A team of two has a "node" that defends the team from their opponent's spells. While the node protects anyone within its shield, it can't protect itself! These defense nodes can take three hits before shutting off, and once that happens, the match is over. While the mechanics will still be similar to the /random vs /random you know from events such as the Grindstone and the Runestone, from an IC aspect this will open up opportunities for a lot of fun character interactions!

To participate, you and your teammate should arrive between 9:30PM and 10PM at Seagaze Markets and line up in the half-circle of Seagaze Markets. Once it's showtime we'll /yell for everyone to get in line, go over the rules, and will pair off teams with an opposing team. Matches are one-off competitions, with the winning team moving forward and fighting someone else in the next round. This process repeats until only one team is left undefeated!

Combat is thus:

1. Both teams will use the /random command for their rolls.
  2. Both teams will choose one person to roll initiative. The highest roll wins and will attack first.
  3. Each team will choose who is attacking and who is defending. While one person can do both, we encourage teams to divide the roles so everyone gets to RP.
  4. The attacking player writes their attack in a custom emote using /em. After posting, they roll with /random.
  5. The defending player rolls to defend. If the defender rolls higher than the attack, they have successfully avoided their node taking damage. A lower roll means your node takes a hit. In the event of a tie, both parties reroll. After determining the result, the defender posts their /emote in response.
  6. The defending team's attacker now rolls a counterattack with /random, which the other team's defender will attempt to defend against.
  7. This process continues until one team has failed to defend against three attacks.

IC, the node protects the team players itself from spells, but it is vulnerable to spells itself. The team can either defend it by knocking it out of a spell's path or defending it with an additional magical shield, or however your character could conceive of protecting it!

✨ I ✨

Mayu Cloudwalker & Lina Sparks

▪ II ▪

Xanadu Noire & Yisugei Tumet

▪ III ▪

Mr. Mask & Hatcat (Zero Dawnrose)

▪ IV ▪

Mayu Cloudwalker & Mr. Mask

▪ V ▪

Yisugei Tumet & Nira Rabntah

▪ VI ▪

Jun'to Nharuya & Ver'svesh Preah

▪ VII ▪

Gogonji & the Masked Mage (Annunu Nunu)

▪ VIII ▪

Aulsoix Claimane & Misha'to Nhami

▪ IX ▪

Aulbiene Daiviere & Anrai Sinclair

▪ X ▪

Xoridel Velicoix & Jujuwai Totowai

▪ XI ▪

Ralamano Nulumano & Tatsumi Hanateru

▪ XII ▪

Jun'to Nharuya & Leanne Delphium

▪ XIII ▪

Fefeko Yoyoko & Viviku Viku

▪ XIV ▪

Aleria Frostheart & Elatus Shadeflare

▪ XV ▪

Nhagi'ra Relanah & Sephirah Eruafnor

▪ XVI ▪

Viviku Viku & Nhagi'ra Relanah

▪ XVII ▪

R'miah Tosh & Josiah Covey

▪ XVIII ▪

Zigovali Rigovali & Ulemo Tesheremo

▪ XIX ▪

Chinua Bayagud & Ver'svesh Preah

❄ XX ❄

▪ XXI ▪

▪ XXII ▪

Jun'to Nharuya & Lt'ora Tia

▪ XXIII ▪

Jihn'a Gahre & Kyt'ir Jakkya

▪ XXIV ▪

Subtle Raptor & Ulemo Tesheremo

✨ XXV ✨

Subtle Raptor & Giovanni Faust

▪ XXVI ▪

Edda Vincents & Baeyl Teken'ghym

▪ XXVII ▪

Mandy Arixan & Raven Belmont

▪ XXVIII ▪

Azrat Lariss & Tarixxian Voren

▪ XXIX ▪

Edda Vincents & Byldaigeim Tutylwyn

▪ XXX ▪

S'kye S'yoponi & Zigovali Rigovali

▪ XXXI ▪

Azrat Lariss & Tarixxian Voren

▪ XXXII ▪

Narval Moks & Josiah Covey

▪ XXXIII ▪

Fiona Delaine & Mareth Ravenlocke

▪ XXXIV ▪

Edda Vincents & Leonnaux Altoix

▪ XXXV ▪

Rinadin Dinwell & Tehfee Thetre

▪ XXXVI ▪

Rinadin Dinwell & Tharsis Tor

▪ XXXVII ▪

Rinadin Dinwell & Aster Ozerov

▪ XXXVIII ▪

Mayana Yana & Y'uraq Tia

▪ XXXIX ▪

Fiona Delaine & Zigovali Rigovali

▪ XXXX ▪

Kibaa Hart and Maiya Mai

❄ XXXXI ❄

Josiah Covey & Zigovali Rigovali

▪ XXXXII ▪

Jebei Dotharl & Sa'ran Kha

▪ XXXXIII ▪

Tahni'sae Farreihm & Kiyokage Mizuhiki

▪ XXXXIV ▪

Dahlia Blake & Hali Naras

✨ XXXXV ✨

Jebei Dotharl & Sa'ran Kha

▪ XXXXVI ▪

A to Z

▪ XXXXVII ▪

Stampede Ruckus & H'rihn Nhaviri

▪ XXXXVIII ▪

Ehfi Rhinsu & Stampede Ruckus

▪ XXXXIV ▪

--

Edited by Shoshopu

This seems neat! I imagine there will be many bits of infighting where someone blames the other for failing to defend. It's like Mario Party for RP. You monster.

Question: Is it possible for folks without a partner to show up? It would obviously be on them to find a partner before entering, but in case anyone doesn't have one, they're still welcome yeah?

This seems neat! I imagine there will be many bits of infighting where someone blames the other for failing to defend. It's like Mario Party for RP. You monster.

Question: Is it possible for folks without a partner to show up? It would obviously be on them to find a partner before entering, but in case anyone doesn't have one, they're still welcome yeah?

I wouldn't want to to be the regular, but it could happen! Especially in the case of, say, arcanists or maybe people who use mammets? If you don't mind emoting for two!

Awww it says March, I was sooo hoping it would start tomorrow ^ ^

They might have elected to not do it this Friday since Tourney of Champions is tomorrow.

And does that mean Aoi can fight with her familiar? It's a cute Bluebird that ignites itself on fire and electrifies itself! I have no qualms double emoting! lol

This definitively looks like a fun and neat variation of the RP fighting tournaments that are around. I would definitively want to try it out!

Judging from the posts added, it seems an Arcanist or Summoner could pair up with its own familiar as a 'team', though I think I'd rather prefer doing it with someone else.

Still, very interesting idea!

Awww it says March, I was sooo hoping it would start tomorrow ^ ^

They might have elected to not do it this Friday since Tourney of Champions is tomorrow.

And does that mean Aoi can fight with her familiar? It's a cute Bluebird that ignites itself on fire and electrifies itself! I have no qualms double emoting! lol

Yes, that's why. We chose Fridays because there's not really another regularly scheduled event for Friday nights. I also didn't want to announce it on such short notice, nevermind that there was already an established event scheduled for tomorrow!! It just feels better to have it at the beginning of March instead of the end of February.

Aoi could come with her bird! As long as you can justify it magically in some way chances are we'll allow it. As stated before though, we encourage you to bring friends! :D

Tomorrow's the third Friday in February!

I missed this post, and oops. >3> I have March 4 in the title....! But I'll add it to the OP. Whups.

Bump! This event rolls out for the first time next Friday!

I also added it to the calendar (manually because there's no recurring options for every other week, agh) all the way up to May. Meant to get around to it before now, but there it is!

Just a little reminder that this is going live in a couple days! :D

I... didn't know there was gonna be a holiday during the event, but that's going to be a thing that happens sometimes, I suppose, all year. Shouldn't be too hard to work around!

Eagerly looking forward to this! Now, to come up with a reason for my character to be there...

I'm sure I'll come up with something!

Because Warren has two working grown man legs and can be wherever the hell he wants.

Bam there's your reason. Thank me later.

Eagerly looking forward to this! Now, to come up with a reason for my character to be there...

I'm sure I'll come up with something!

*Throws a reason at Warren*

He wants to see how duo's do in a magical setting before trying it in a physical setting.

I want to thank everyone who came out tonight for making the first SpellGuard Tournament a rousing success! It was so much fun watching all the banter, and I feel like things went pretty smoothly! I hope to see some of you back for the next one on the 18th! :D

[align=center]A big congratulations to our first Spellguardians, Mayu Cloudwalker and Lina Sparks![/align]

[align=center]LkB92ep.png[/align]

I took a lot of screenshots, but I'm going to have to sift through them first and then upload them on my slow interbutts. >.<

Okay, heads-up, everyone!! Something serious has come up IRL and Jujuwai (aka arkamas) and I will be unable to oversee the event on the 18th. 

HOWEVER, we are not cancelling!! The folks who helped me OOCly oversee the event last week will still be there, and officers of Shoshopu's Free Company, Aetherial Warriors <>, ICly known as the 81st Maelstrom Foreign Levy, will be overseeing the event in Shoshopu's absence.

The event will work exactly like it did last week and I left extensive notes for the people running it so things should run smoothly. I will also go over it with them the night before (arkamas and I have to leave Friday morning) to make sure everything is set to go. However, I wanted to announce this in advance so it's not a surprise for the people who attend.

I thank you all in advance for your understanding!! Hope you all have a great time on the 18th!!