Your Character's Voice!

Ruen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the beginning I knew that Zigovali needed a Hispanic accent (which is horrendously difficult to type out; I'm still looking for some way to make the accent apparent from reading, without needing to state that he has it). So, naturally, it was a toss-up between Antonio Banderas, and one other noteworthy cinematic Dashing Hispanic. I went with the latter.

k7zvffHu_wo

Mandy Patinkin's performance as Inigo Montoya resonated better for Zigovali, being much more light-hearted than Banderas. While more verbose than Montoya, Zigovali has more or less the same level of passion and charisma, if not the sword-fighting skill or desire for revenge.

Akesaka Satomi. The specific linked segment at 2:06 is the sample I felt was closest to how I imagined it.

I chose her because she is versatile and not overwhelmingly saccharine in performance. Very underrated. Although she is known for being Arsene in Milky Holmes and Esdeath in Akame ga Kill, I was introduced to her by the short CG series (made on the cheap in MMD, no less) gdgd Fairies. Ain't even ashamed to admit it, even if it looks like a garbage kids show. It is mostly Seinfeldian conversation and some hilarious improv comedy segments, which Akesaka tended to dominate. So I was sure the VA could do serious and funny roles in equal turn, which was important to how I wanted to play my character.

Though not a PC, I did decide on her Master's VA as well.

Sakakibara Yoshiko. As her impressive resume suggests, she is a veteran of the industry most famous for Haman Karn from Zeta Gundam. She usually plays villains, which probably gives away a bit too much. Ah, who am I kidding?

I think the astringent and deep tone of voice is something Virara would probably attempt, in a flawed manner, to emulate. 

Haven't really decided on Eng VA cause I don't know many by name. :P

While I could go for the low-hanging fruit and give Jana the same voice as Kuroki Tomoko (from Watamote, done by Kitta Izumi), Jana has that kind of crazy manic side of hers. I went instead with the voice of Hoshi Syoko done by Matsuda Satsumi. (I don't think the RPC can embed videos to start at a time so feel free to jump to 4:12.)

So I drive a mini-van around with children in the back.  The mini-van has movies playing in it to keep the children from rioting, and because I like to often play musicals and sing along to them and my children are my excuse to do so.

Once they wanted to watch a movie my eldest got for her birthday, Monster High: 13 Wishes.

Twyla, the Boogieman's daughter somehow became partial inspiration for Fiona Cooper's personality.  And full inspiration for her voice and how she pauses when she speaks. She's the one with the blue hair.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxJ6O1-AxAD1aFcyZnM1LUI0aXM/view?usp=sharing

• 2 months later...

It's a funny topic, I was just wondering how to describe my chara's change of voices as she is hiding behind multiple identities to avoid being caught and killed.

I like to think of Vayne's voice as similar to Adam Jensen in Deux Ex, I think this is the tone she'd try to emply when pretending to be a manly pirate:

sCkNwllUOQY

And when roaming in the cities with the identity of Charlene she'd use a tone closer to her real voice:

fWvHueqyDoQ

Well, for Abodo

(starting at 4:24)

Good ol' Vincent Price.

And for Tancred

(He talks through the whole thing, but the inflection I'd give Tancred starts at 0:31)

An ex-friend once stated my own voice was a good match for Chouwa. I disagreed, mostly because I've got a more happy and playful tone to my voice that didn't fit Chou.

Always felt the dork had deep voice that still sounded feminine. I've done some deliberating and...

NTi-KpGLBI0

I've decided Miku-Tan's voice suited the ex-thief.

Bonus song, because it's in the exact tone I imagine for her.

g78EJkYcmpY

• 1 month later...

I can't help but feel like this thread happened before somewhere... but I can't be assed to look, either, so

Shopu would sound like Kristen Schaal but it'd be a little underplayed because she has a slightly more formal way of speaking than most of Schaal's characters

Awyrbyrt would sound like Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove (Patrick Warburton). He can speak marmot.

Eaubront, my elezen, would be voiced by Kevin Kline ...

d2TP6DZpmfA

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice!" - Eaubront, probably

and Zigovali would be Miguel in this situation

• 2 months later...

The distinct lack of Doflamingo in this thread is bothering me...

Taejin definitely would have a Kurokiba Ryou thing going. Hes' got the spacey, blase thing going already...

928b536a3e497aa5d8c9a1501b9128de5aa6574a_hq.gif

he'd nicely (in a sense) channel his inner Accelerator when pushed passed the "I'm sick of your shit, let's get dangerous" threshold.

rSVq6wp-.jpg

Incidentally, If I ever mustered the will or audacity to rp a second character, slap some horns and a tail on her and Alice is pretty much a dead ringer for my (visualized) Raen Au Ra, Bakkuda. Trollish personality and all.