[03-06-2016] Now Accepting Moderator Applications

The RPC is now accepting applications to the moderation team.

You can find the application by clicking this link.

All questions are optional, however the thoroughness or lack thereof in a submitted application may affect whether or not a user is selected to be a member of the staff.

Applications will be accepted until 11 PM PST, Wednesday, March 16th, 2016.

The applications will be reviewed by the following staff members: Nero, Nailah, and Graeham.

Review for applications will take place from Thursday, March 17th to Sunday, March 27th. This is not to be interpreted as a strict timeline; the application review process may be shorter or longer depending on several factors including staff availability and volume of applications to process.

There are two types of positions that may be applied for.

The duties of supermoderators include but are not limited to the following:

• Enforce rules and hand out infractions and bans for rule violations across all forums
  • Suggest and vote on rule and policy changes
  • Resolve disputes between users
  • Lock threads and remove posts that violate the rules
  • Read and respond to user reports
  • Provide input to issues brought up by other moderators
  • Make announcements and communicate to users
  • Reorganize threads into appropriate forums or subforums

The supermoderators are the first to go to whenever there is a violation of the rules, to properly interpret the policies and rules of the RPC and make a judgment on how to handle the violation. The bulk of their duties will consist of interpreting the rules and dealing with violations of those rules.

The duties of the moderators include but are not limited to the following:

• Reorganize threads into the appropriate forums or subforums
  • Report additional issues to supermoderators and the administrator
  • Submit disputes or violations to supermoderators or the administrator for review
  • Remove duplicate posts
  • Lock threads until review by a supermoderator only in notably egregious cases
  • Provide additional input on issues brought up by supermoderators or the administrator
  • Suggest changes to rules, policy, and enforcement as needed

The moderators perform some of the duties of supermoderators on a smaller scale but are largely not involved in rule interpretation or enforcement; in an analogy, they would stop the fire from spreading by moving or locking threads, but are not responsible for putting fires out by banning users or removing offensive posts except in extreme cases (e.g. revealing personal information).

Any questions or concerns you may have are welcome to be posted in this thread.

I just got one or two, while I myself am not a moderating type and am not applying because I'm a lazy carefree bastard, I feel I should ask for those uncomfortable with asking.

Does ones participation in NML affect their chances of getting picked? Or do you review their posting history for quality of posts or something like that? I know sometimes people pre-pick those that apply without even looking at the others afterwards.

For example, Sounsyy makes much better posts than I do as I mainly joke around and goof off (although I have made serious posts that have gotten multiple reps before, rarely though), would her chances of getting picked be higher than mine even though I could most likely do the job every bit as easy as her?

I just got one or two, while I myself am not a moderating type, I feel I should ask for those uncomfortable with asking.

Does ones participation in NML affect their chances of getting picked? Or do you review their posting history for quality of posts or something like that? I know sometimes people pre-pick those that apply without even looking at the others afterwards.

For example, Sounsyy makes much better posts than I do as I mainly joke around and good off, would her chances of getting picked be higher than mine even though I could most likely do the job every bit as easy as her?

The staff responsible for reviewing applications won't write someone off immediately just because they are active in certain forums.

The main factors we're looking for is a decent amount of activity, a reasonable temperament, and stress tolerance. Post history does reveal certain traces of these things, and with enough posts a discernible trend may be seen, but someone who writes paragraphs of lore and someone who just jokes around and likes to post funny images are more or less even in this reviewing process.

And while we're on the subject, rep count literally does not matter in the slightest.

It's not the type of content you post as much as it is how you deal with the content of others. You don't have to be considered a contributor to have a good enough activity level and attitude to be selected--plenty of people who are active or post occasionally in NML fit this bill--and conversely those who post a lot of content may not have the stress tolerance required to keep up with the duties these positions might demand.

EDIT: I edit my posts constantly so...uh, yeah. Sorry for that.

An additional note.

If at any point during the application window (so, until March 16th) you would like to edit one or more of your responses to any of the application questions, simply send me a PM and I will make the change for you in the application and in the review.

Well I filled one out. I hope to hear soon. ^^

Likewise. Maybe we can be mod buddies :D

Then Id have to deal with you more regularly than now? *goes to delete app* just kiddin lol.

Um...I got a notification about this in my PM inbox.  I'm confused, you want my lunatic self to apply for moderator? :dazed:

You probably got an alert (top right corner of the site?). ...but I made a typo with some of the code and the field defaulted to sending everyone my username instead of theirs. It should have had something about the RPC Feedback Survey and the Moderation Application (should you be interested!)

Then Id have to deal with you more regularly than now? *goes to delete app* just kiddin lol.

My tears, they are like a river.

Applied o7 I'd like my rejection letter to be written in comic sans plz

Ok, I get that we're all here to have fun but...

SOME THINGS ARE TOO SERIOUS TO JOKE ABOUT.

Comic sans makes everything funny. You know haha comical. It will make the heartbreak hurt less.

Um...I got a notification about this in my PM inbox.  I'm confused, you want my lunatic self to apply for moderator? :dazed:

You probably got an alert (top right corner of the site?). ...but I made a typo with some of the code and the field defaulted to sending everyone my username instead of theirs. It should have had something about the RPC Feedback Survey and the Moderation Application (should you be interested!)

For a moment there, I thought my RPC account got hacked or something because I'm pretty sure I'm not "Unnamed Mercenary" and yet the alert greeted me as if I were him.

Am I a moderator now? :D

For a moment there, I thought my RPC account got hacked or something because I'm pretty sure I'm not "Unnamed Mercenary" and yet the alert greeted me as if I were him.

Am I a moderator now? :D

Naw, unfortunately not (or possibly not yet if you applied and make it).

To go into gritty details, the custom alert I coded up had this special {username} field which I thought was supposed to plug in each person's username like normal alerts. Instead, it decided mine would be duplicated across the board. (A big "oops" on my part was testing the alert only on myself. I'll be sure to drag a couple other people in for testing in the future).

Had I been a bit wiser at the time, I would have either worded it as just "Hello, [text]" or "Hello from {username}, [text]", which woulda made a better alert.

The developer in me wants to mod the plugin to check for sanitized input though, as the "alert all users on the forum regardless of group/status" kinda exploded in my face. All other alerts are working as usual, however. (In the future, we might just try to send alerts to say, registered users. That should get to everyone).

My tears, they are like a river.

*bottles up the tears for later use*

By user request, the application form will remain open until 9 PM PST.

Any and all last minute applicants must submit their application by or before that time. There will be no further extensions past this point.