What's your character fighting style?

Leanne

G'liri learned to fight by hunting with a spear so she attacks people the same way she would an animal.

First she gauges her opponent and comes up with a simple strategy based on their size and agility. Larger and tougher opponents are harried with shallow blows to the legs to tire them out more quickly as she then focuses on dodging, letting her opponents bleed out until they begin to have trouble moving or can no longer bear the growing pain in their legs. After this has happened she goes for a fatal blow to the neck.

More agile foes she goes for one decisive strike, likely through the gut where it's easier to pierce.

If it's a lethal fight, start with a dirty trick like throwing sand in thier eyes if the other person is closer than she would like. Then end them with center of torso shots.

Non-lethal, more trickery and disarm if she can. She will take out the legs otherwise. 

Preferably she'd get her target in an ambush though. Fighting fair is for chumps. She has a repurposed Garlean Magitec Thing-a-mabob for finding people. Some other Garlean whats-its for supressive fire and trickery.

Mikh'al's 'fighting' style is to... well, not really to fight at all.

He prefers to avoid conflict if possible, however if a fight does break out he tries to keep as much distance between himself and whatever is trying kill him. A little bit of wind aether to hold them back while he looks for the nearest escape route, and if they get in close then he will duck, dodge and dive to freedom!

Now if he's in a situation where he has no choice but to fight, then survival instincts take over. He will use every cheap trick he knows to get out of the encounter alive. Throw dirt in their eyes, using whatever is available around him to incapacitate them... he'll improvise. He's not even above using those Keeper fangs of his to break out of someone's hold if he has to. Honour in battle is for paladins, not squishy catboi healers.

The one thing Mikh'al will never do however, is use conjury to intentionally cause harm. Incapacitate sure, but never to harm or take a life.

There have been some very creative fighting styles so far. I really enjoyed reading them. With this newfound knowledge, I can brew up a fighting style that counters everyone! lol I kid.

As such with any challenging raid boss, there are 'phases' to his fighting style.

Phase One

I believe C'rookh would probably try to broker a deal or apologize since the one attacking him would probably be someone he stole from. C'rookh has a silver tongue so why not use it? If the opponent could be talked down or bought off then it might be a better way of ending the conflict opposed to having bloodshed and the heat that comes with it. However, if words fail him then it could be safe to say that the fight would commence into phase two.

Phase Two

Whelp, better run! C'rookh is a Miqo'te. He is not going to be overpowering some Highlander or Roegadyn thug but he could probably take on a fellow Miqo'te or Lalafell. Fortunately, he wears cheap wool and patchwork leather. Some light armor which doesn't quite slow him down too much. It can work wonders against someone chasing after him in full plate. This is probably the time C'rookh will pretend to be a civilian is distress. C'rookh has to put those Brass Blades to work somehow since they just stand there throughout the day. If the attacker is able to keep up and avoid the trickery then the fight can proceed to phase three.

Phase Three

It looks like C'rookh will have to fight now that he is out of options for running and hollering! What could he have in store for the perpetrator? Well, C'rookh would have a trusted cutlass for his perpetrator. Of course, C'rookh isn't the one who trusts the blade itself; that would be the previous owner. It is a cutlass with a red hued hilt adorned with steel trim and a very worn looking blade. It could be said that it was nabbed from a pirate or sailor. This is due to the fact that there is a crude marking of a herring scratched into the hilt. C'rookh's sword play, if one were call it that, is definitely more showy than effective. If he is boozed up then it'll probably be sloppy as well. To put it in simple terms, he wields this blade with a single handed drunken finesse. Parry maneuvers are attempted above all other maneuvers. His other hand is all about dishing out the dirt, literally! Everything that can be used to give C'rookh a upper hand will undoubtedly be utilized. From a pouch of sand / dirt in his pouch pocket to a sack of caltrops.

• 2 weeks later...

Vilette's fighting style is characterised by the following:

• Simplicity
  • Efficiency
  • Aggression
  • Speed

No matter her weapon, no matter the scenario, Vilette maintains her no-frills, efficiency-centered style; focusing on committing the least amount of force necessary to end a fight.

No movement goes an ilm further than she needs; no strike powerful enough to leave her open or off balance.

With her two-handed sword, she prioritises actions that will both attack and defend in a single motion; generally preferring attacks that intercept her opponent's while setting up for a thrust.

To facilitate this, most of her strikes end before any noticeable follow-through, always ending with her sword's point aimed directly at her opponent.

This style of rapid, attack-and-defend combat tends to make facing her an overwhelming task, as Vilette's aggression seems both unrelenting and a step ahead of their defences.

In her attempt to exploit the most efficient routes of attack; Vilette is seemingly fond of the thrust, as it's the quickest, and most direct attack a swordsman can make. Many of her duels involve her jockeying for control of the 'center-line', attempting to clear whatever obstacles are between her and a thrust to her opponent's openings. Don't let this fool you, however -- Vilette is more than capable of cutting with her weapon, and does so just as frequently.

Should opponents overreact or overcommit to parrying her thrusts, Vilette will usually yield to their oncoming force, and use their momentum to power a retaliatory cut to their new openings before they can react. Some who've fought her liken this to pushing hard at a double hinged door -- if you smack it too hard, it comes around and smacks you back.

Should they parry her cuts, she slips under and positions for a thrust.

But what if an opponent doesn't overcommit? Well...

Understanding that with a two-handed weapon that her weapon is her only form of protection, Vilette will usually try to keep her blade in crossed with her opponent's, so that she can respond instantaneously to any offensive or defensive actions her opponent may take.

As such, should an opponent not overcommit to their defence, they begin to play into Vilette's game. Blades crossed and bound together, in this position, Vilette usually starts her 'dance', sliding and winding her weapon against her opponent's in a measured manner to gain superior leverage and open them up their line for thrusts.

Should her and her opponent come within grabbing distance, Vilette tends to eschew her swordplay in favour of grappling and wrestling; something that has caught several opponents off guard.

tl;dr: this bitch knows what she's doing

"Honestly I act very confident, but I'm very inexperienced! I mean I try to adapt to the situation, but I can barely take charge of my own nerves, let alone the battle! xD I'm more than happy staying towards the back and supporting the actual fighters!" That's how I assume K'aih thinks I'm sure, but I'm sure in a pinch he'd be pleasantly surprised at how tough he could! ^^

With the advent of Stormblood bringing Red Mage, I very much see Aloyv's fighting style becoming very close to that of Zelda's from Hyrule Warriors. Since he already uses a bow from being a Bard, him using a rapier would more or less fit with the aspect of being quick and furious, with magical flair to back it up.

Hely never was physically strong and, due to the way he grew up, he always had to rely on his wits and intelligence to battle.

When he goes to a battle he likes to study his opponent. If he is fighting a X creature he'll first begin opening the many compendiums and bestiary he owns in his personal library to know exactly what approach to take and plan accordingly. He isn't the "taking risks" type. If he has to take a risk, he'll do whatever he can to minimize risks.

On actual battle, since he doesn't know much about Nymian magic he developed along Garlond Ironworks what he calls "Aethercells" - small tubes he may fill with Aether that already contain inscriptions in Nymian along the Arcane Geometries linked to whatever spell they contain. That way he only has to spark them with a little Aether from inside to release the spell. For this reason he also doesn't know the proper name of many spells (thus calling "Sacred Soil" an "Aether Shield").

He does own a fairy thanks to a Soulstone he obtained during an expedition to Wanderer's Palace. However, he is still unsure about how sentient the creature is.

Without a grimoire and/or his Aethercells he is nearly helpless. He always carries tied to his belt three or four poisonous concoctions of sleep or blindness he prepares himself but that's only to allow him to retreat should all else fails.

Ququki used to be a flashier thaumaturge, specially from using her surroundings, like freezing the floor, or using spilled oil, so she was always someone that people would consider "fighting dirty"; after she went a good length of time without using magic after an incident, it got really really worse, to a point that Quki's fighting style is basically a lot of set traps, and fighting dirty.

She still casts, but don't be surprised at all if she throws sand in someone eyes, or use her height to headbutt someone's crotch, or pull a flintlock to shoot someone's knees or chipped armor point, or one of my favourites in a rp, ending a conflict with a cocky pirate by throwing a vase of oil and a simple fire spell.

Seriously, she has absolutely no honor, and there's reasons I don't bother with Runestone or Spellguard or the Grindstone :V

I think I'm revisiting that old feeling of "I totally thought I posted in this thread." While some things change, some remain the same... Anyway...

Chachan's fighting style has always been on the more defensive, protective side. He leaned more to using his shield than his sword, and his desire to keep others from harm oft put him in a position where that preference is utilized. His pacifistic nature just further kept him from using the sword of the sword-and-board combo, frequently pulling his strikes and purposely blunting his weaponry.

Of course, he's been pretty frequently chided for his viewpoint in a world that is as dangerous and unfriendly as Hydaelyn. However, in his own stubbornly childish way, he sticks to trying to figure out a way to fight without hurting people too much. To that end he actually has developed a sort of... deterrence-style for fighting? It heavily revolves around both his skill at smithing (most notably being able to quickly identify weaknesses and flaws in weapons in armor, usually for repairs but turned into a sort of combat ability) and some understanding of pressure points and the like from a scroll he got from one Berrod Armstrong. Plus a bit of unarmed knowledge that was kinda-sorta "absorbed" from his frequent training with Virara.

As such, he's sort of moved to a hammer-and-shield sort of style - with his hammer being used to strike at those key points to destroy people's equipment. Should they continue to be aggressive (or are the type of fighter that eschews armor or weapons, such as monks and caster-types), he tries to go for knock-outs and disabling moves. Thanks to his practice with Virara, he can continue doing these latter techniques even if divested from his armor. In a sort of ironic twist of things, he's managed to adapt a couple of her more basic skills (which were all designed to be highly disruptive and potentially lethal) into less dangerous but still relatively effective alternatives.

... How this will proceed into Stormblood, I'm not so sure. I've mentioned him potentially going the SAM route since I've joked that's kind of what he's been for a while... but I'll have to see how that all plays out. Maybe downgrade his shield into a heavily-armored gauntlet to allow for more mobility and quicker transition to using unarmed if needed. At the very least, I have a fun little headcanon of him - at some point or another - doing that very anime "samurai finish" iai-strike style move with his hammer and just causing all of someone's equipment to explode apart simultaneously. Still a bit of a pipe dream, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well give this a shot.

Rauffe's style is rough.  REally, really rough.  She's the kind of fighter that would rely on anything and everything within her disposal to tilt the odds in her favor.   She keeps her body low most of the time, and if she's having to fight someone one-on-one she's highly defensive and posturing. 

The thing is, however, that due to her nature as a thief, fighting directly hand-to-hand isn't a forte of hers.  She's not the greatest with survivability, which is why she instead runs on a mentality of hit and run.  Even with her new samurai training, as thorough and dignified as it is, it gets tilted by her to be far more about speed and evasion rather than calm grace.  (Best example I can give is Mugen from Samurai Champloo.)

She prefers lighter blades (knives and tanto and the katana) and will not hesitate to harass an opponent from afar with anything - bows a particular skill of hers, but firearms and the like are quickly becoming beloved too.

Jeanne does not enjoy combat and tries to avoid it. That said, if forced into a fight she tends to be more of a melee fighter than most Red Mages. Jeanne focuses on empowering her sword first and foremost, and will usually only stand back and cast spells if forced into it. To her, this better shows a desire to protect. However, one spell Jeanne relies on quite often even while within melee range is conjuring blades of ice to fire at her opponents (Fleche and Contre Sixte look really cool ok)

So I've decided I'm actually gonna start rping consistently with a consistent character (it was hard as fuck figuring out how I'd be able to keep Aerin's past ice age rp interactions IC with the update but I managed!) and one of the things I finished first was the fighting style because it reflects a big part of his "revamped" character.

Basically, Aerin doesn't like fighting. He will go out of his way to avoid it if he can. But whether it be a job, or he needs to defend himself, he will fight with no hesitation. His fighting style is basically what anyone fighting with a giant sword should be. A one hit kill or a one hit = enemy can't retaliate. In these cases, Aerin aims at lethal areas with the intention of actually killing the target of the blow hits. (Few people survive a sword that big digging across their chest.) He's not aiming to drag it out, and if it's already gotten this far, he's not aiming to de-escalate either. It's either you or him.

Now, should the blow land and the character be critically wounded etc but still alive, Aerin will leave them alone just like that. Whether they live or die is up to them. But yeah, honestly ima try to avoid combat rp anyway against other PCs outside of GS solely for this reason. Cause Aerin doesn't spar and if someone's constantly irritating him long after the guy submits and lets them talk it's gonna be chaos when it's suddenly him trying to bisect somebody.

Corelyn jen Bellor:

Corelyn is an Imperial Animatus - a Pureblooded Imperial soldier who uses magitek equipment to emulate magic - who wields a gunrapier. Much of her close-quarters combat is an elegant dance that combines a childhood of ballet and dancing with her training in foils and rapiers. Following the successful completion and approval of Project Anima, her gunrapier, Dianthus, has been modified to attach to a small, construct-driven device that charges the firearm portion of her blade in order to fire rounds that trigger aetherial reactions catalysed in the hovering bit-like device. Corelyn is also skilled with firearms, but prefers her rapier and Animatus equipment. She is a trained soldier and is very effective in combat.

Hali Naras:

Hali has been trained by Immortals from the nation of Thavnair in Blue Magic: surviving attacks by certain aetherially-aspected creatures and beasts, and often slaying them to add their essence to her own soul, strengthening a force known as the Beast within herself and keeping to a perilous and often-maddening balance to maintain control of her own soul. She operated, often, on pure willpower, pushing through her limits - physical, mental, emotional, and aetherial - until she is at the breaking point. Her melee skills are awkward and often amateur, but with the element of surprise afforded by her magic, as well as the power drawn from the Beast, she is more than capable of holding her own. Though she is not an experienced combatant, her sheer willpower and determination often carry her through the roughest battles, often long enough for luck to take her side. However, it's not uncommon that the poor Raen is completely steamrolled by more experienced fighters, especially when unable to augment her abilities magically.

Dail'a Naras:

Dail'a is a self-proclaimed "blademaster" and "duelist", almost always equipped with a weighty wealth of bladed weaponry: a bastard sword at one hip, several hidden daggers, and a greatsword at his back. For backup, he even sometimes has a few grenades dangling from his other hip. He prefers to keep to his longsword with a hand free for manoeuvres in combat. He will switch weapons on a whim, oftentimes, just dropping or throwing them. Even without weapons, he is a force to be reckoned with, the miqo'te's ability - and propensity - to brawl with fighters twice his size often serving him well. Dail'a spends much of his time seeking out strong opponents to test and improve himself. Fighting is everything to the Keeper, and as such, he is an incredibly effective melee fighter. However, he has few methods to counter magic, and is not at all skilled with it, himself, preferring to just hit things until they fall over.

Rhali Zhujo:

The Raen Serpent Reaver Navigator is a trained Sharlayan astrologian, and as such, spends much of her time with her globe spinning and cards flying. She prefers to let others do her fighting for the most part, despite her love of fighting, and will stand behind the front lines in order to twist the fates to her allies' benefit or warn them of ill fates ahead. Despite her reliance on magic, though, she is fairly effective in a fist-fight, and the tall Auri woman packs a surprising punch.

Neilas sas Seles:

The fallen Tribunus of the Xth Imperial Legion's Research and Development Cohort prefers to get up close and personal. The entirety of his armour is outfitted in extendable bladed attachments - arms, legs, hands, feet, even shoulders, can etend blades that make him a difficult opponent. Combined with his surprisingly graceful style of kickboxing, inspired by some form of foreign dance, the Garlean is capable of turning himself into a whirling dervish of bladed limbs. His gauntlets are also possessed. each with a loading and firing mechanism for several shotgun shells, which he often employs in combat to augment the deadly dance of fists and feet. Neilas is a competent fighter, but infinitely prefers manipulation and command, getting others to do his dirty work for him.

Well, since I would be remiss to not jump in on delving into the fighting styles of my other characters...

Gogonji Gegenji:

If Gogon had his way? He wouldn't fight. Not to say that he's a pacifist like his little brother, but more that he excels in the position of being a tactician. He's at his best reading enemy movements and directing his own. He's the "Tactician" character that gives units directions in Fire Emblem - directing his forces to victory while not actually taking the field himself.

Should he be forced to fight for himself, though, he has his tricks though he's not as grand a threat as he was once in the past (he was the Big Bad of a story arc, after all!). He was once a lot stronger then, utilizing experimental magitek devices to force synchronicity with soul crystals and drawing on both the knowledge and the power locked within those shiny stones to cause havoc on the battlefield. However, he had all that ripped from him, went into a coma, and he's still recovering even a good year and a half to two years later. Now he only really his his Arcanima to rely on, which - while decently formidable - is still not as great a skill set compared to artificially-gifted multi-job mastery.

Anyway, his delving into the mathemagical leans heavily on the basics and the Scholastic abilities of Nym. That, along with his analytical approach to combat, means he goes for attempting to read the opponent and developing an appropriate assault tactic. Until that point, he tends to focus on misdirection, enfeeblement, and bolstering his own defenses. Once he finds that chink in his opponent's armor, however, he will strike with surgical precision.

To aid in that, he's also been delving into the Allagan Summoning arts - albeit at a more restricted level due to its requirements. The primal essences needed to summon Egi were "stolen" from a Summoner soul crystal during his earlier escapades, but he has all but the tracest amounts of it at this point after the burnout. If he focuses, he can maintain a single egi but cannot Trance or do any of the higher level abilities. To get around this, his preferred method to use his egis is more of a fighting game striker assist angle. They manifest, attack, and then immediately dissipate - which also helps from a disorientation angle as well.

Should all that fail or he's dealing with someone with incredible aetheric resistances? He's not above the simple solutions. His cane - the need for which is purposely over-inflated to misdirect his enemies even before a fight begins - is a little bag of tricks. The grip has a gem in it that he can use as an added aetheric focus if needed, but the cane itself is a sword-cane. A quick twist and suddenly the frail caster has himself a sharp blade on hand. Due to his lacking physical strength, however, he also tends to prefer precision strikes with the sword in order to defeat his foes.

(... It's a fun little tidbit to note that Gogon's "staff/swordcane" idea was in place well before RDM was even hinted at. Though I'm plenty happy to run with it, even if ICly he's doing Arcanima rather than Red Magic. My current headcanon is his Ver-spells are actually him briefly summoning his egis in "striker" mode to do the damage. Which means no Verthunder since he only has the base three.)

Judge Jredthys:

The Judge is... well, he has yet to actually fight to his full capacity. Even when called out as an opponent during the Grindstone, he refuses to use his weapon "Verdict" due to his stubborn belief that it should only be used to pass his judgements (i.e. kill people). As the Grindstone is a non-lethal event, he instead resorts to clumsily doing hand-to-hand.

That said, while he may lack the style and finesse of a trained pugilist or monk, the armored behemoth packs a staggering amount of physical power in his frame. As such, his albeit simple punches and throws have a dangerous amount of force behind them and one shouldn't underestimate the damage even a single hit can inflict on them. Couple that with his armor and tenacity, and the last thing anyone would likely want is a protracted close-range battle with him - he's likely to win the war of attrition, seeing as he only needs to land a few blows to lay his opponent low.

That said, he's not without his weaknesses. As mentioned, his pugilistic skills are horribly basic and - as such - can easily be read and avoided by the more skilled and agile fighters. His ranged ability is also quite limited, reduced to mostly either trying to close the gap or using his prodigious strength to throw something at the target. Add to all that, there is the fact that - despite his durability - an ancient injury has left him with an "Achilles' heel" at the base of his spine. Even if his opponent doesn't learn of it and strike at it directly, Judge's "bad back" has a chance of acting up and even further limiting his movements.

So, even from just a physical standpoint, Judge can be an imposing and downright dangerous opponent, but not insurmountable. And then you add in his strange aetheric ability and things get far more interesting. Dubbed his "Law Magic" for simplicity's sake, Judge can invoke and enforce "rules" upon the battlefield and its combatants. These can range from forcing certain types of fighters from entering certain areas, causing aetheric shock if an action is taken that is against the "rules," or even granting a boon to those who follow his decrees.

... He also has the ability to heal people, but it's not recommended. It is literally him aetherically commanding someone's body to recover, and there is nothing in place to soften the actions that follow. So the target will feel their flesh and muscle stretch out to rejoin and their bones shifting back into place and fusing back together. It is not a pleasant experience and, if the damage is severe enough, the shock to the target could do more harm than help. Which is probably why he just sticks to his potions at the Grindstone.

I'll give this a shot.

I'd say Tsubaki fights with a combination of aggression and deception. She attacks aggressively, leading her opponent into expecting it then fakes them out and uses the opening to deliver the killing blow.

Jenna is more simple. She's a mage and her combat philosophy is to just blow them up till they don't move no more.

• 2 weeks later...

For Gen it depends on who and where he's fighting.. if he's in a bar brawl, he'll fight like a bar brawler, not all that much finesse, just throwing knees and elbows at the targets he'd wish unconciousness on. 

In a more serious fight, he lets his training take over. Which is most likely akin to monk techniques influenced by his mothers homebrew of martial arts (irl equivalent would be Kenpo, jiu jitsu and bajinquan among others)

iscP8gase1Q

Savona's combat style is one born of fear. She's timid. And it shows in her fighting.

However she lacks much in combat experience despite having been in the Ishgard military, and what few scrapes she managed to find herself in has been against hostile wildlife, and 2 out of those 3 times have left her wounded.

Needless to say, being bested by mere beast that most seem perfectly capable of dispatching without incident, has had a physiological impact on her ability to fight clearly and effectively.

• 2 months later...

It took me a bit to think of which of my characters i should explain, but then i chose this one, cause he fights very unconventionally. xD 

Zwight Vincent:

He's a tiny Lalafell with a big mind. He plans his fights accordingly and precisely. He never leaves anything to chance and sometimes comes over prepared with his bag of doohickeys and gadgets. He'll use turrets, guns, bombs, traps, pretty much anything he can get his hands on and modify. 

That's not where his fighting style shines though. You see, no matter what tends to happen, there always ends up being a moment where his plan falls apart. No matter how meticulous the plan, there's always something in the way. 

This causes Zwight to improvise, and improvisation is not his strong suit. He'll flail about trying his best to fight his opponent by running and dodging. 

He'll attack randomly, hoping to push you back in some way, and guess what? It works...He'll do crazy things in the midst of his cowardice that one might call "Lucky" and he'll defeat his opponent in ways he never thought he could. He uses his amazing good luck to fight, and somehow it hasn't run out yet.

Since I finally have the scythe weapon I've always wanted I've had to drastically alter Aerin's fighting style from a Greatsword. Since scythe's are unorthodox (Ya I know all the stuff about it so if you think I don't well hop off muh D) I took a lot of inspiration from Bloodborne as Gherman has the most tame usage of a scythe I've seen yet. Same for Dark Souls in general TBH.

Aerin mainly uses the scythe as a hook moreso than actually trying to cut people with the blade. He always overextends the swing (the pole still needs to be dodged or blocked even if the blade misses you) so the inner edge of the scythe curves around the opponents back side and 'hooks' them whether it be under the arm where the blades inner edge is nestled right behind the shoulder joint, or behind the neck, or the back of the knee or even the flank. Once hooked he will violently yank it forward to cut into and injure whatever is in the scythes path as usually people can't protect a blade coming from behind them. If someone's wearing heavy armor the blade would always be aimed to hook behind joints before severing the back muscles limiting movement.

If that doesn't work the Scythe blade is mechanical and can simply recurve towards the shaft with a mechanism release or extend to mimic a war scythe or even be detached completely to use as a sickle weapon.

He rarely tries to swing it like a sword and cut with the actual blade (even if its edged on both sides) because the sweet spot is very small. Underhanded swings and overhead ones are much easier to pull off tho because the blade curves and once the tip digs in the rest follows and the cut can be pretty bad.

I've used this style in Grindstone a few times as a test, rolls aside it doesn't come off weird when I read it over. Aerin even got carded with a warning cause he hooked into his enemies side and basically ripped her flank out. Nearly.

• 1 month later...

This seems fun!

Ci

She's got a pretty bizarre fighting style that's mostly developed from certain handicaps and her past. She used to be a performance magician but now works as a mercenary so her style incorporates a lot of tricks, illusions, sleight of hand, and many classic stage magician techniques just fitted for battle now. Her most used would probably be playing cards she's loaded with aether and summoning doves (whether they are real or just illusions is something she'll never tell!). The cards can do many things from being charged with different elements, hardening, growing in size, or even acting as flash bangs!

She can be quite deceptive as well. She intentionally makes sure most of her cards correspond to what they do. For example, she'll make sure any cards with the heart suite are loaded with fire aether and are your usual exploding cards. However, she recognizes that most fighters will look for a pattern in their opponent's style. So for this reason, a few cards in her deck are mismatched with their usual suite and element combination. An 8 of hearts might explode with ice rather than fire for example. This helps her take opponents she fights for the first time off guard as their brain will first recognize the pattern between suite and element. 

Her other favored weapon is her gun. Due to some things in the past, her aether pool is quite small so she can only cast so much before she is out of fuel. She'll carry a gun around with her for cases where magic is ineffective or she needs to conserve her aether. Some call her a gun mage because she likes to use trick shots like ricocheting bullets or specially crafted bullets loaded with aether.

Another technique she uses is swapping clothing with a snap of her finger. It was mostly for performance purposes but it can come handy at times in a fight.

Tbh, depends on what class I happen to be on while fighting lol.

While being on Ninja, he tends to keep his distance if the person in question has a big weapon, like an Axe or Great Sword. For ranged people (and magic users) he tends to get up and personal with daggers and people with shields...all depends on what shield they have lol. While I've not had much chance to use it, he'll also use various Ninja magic as well.

As a Sch, it's all about the range naturally. I'll sling out various elemental spells (one day need to make said list) that borrow from Arcanist/Scholar spell list along with basic Thm magic as he did learn some while young but hasnt' developed it as strongly. Against other spellcasters, he can null spells slung at him, or if it's lighting or fireballs, he can redirect it back to the user, while making it stronger in the process. He is also able to absorb certain spells, but all depends on the spell.