FFXIV: Stormblood Teaser Trailer

Trigonxv

Dances...? Dances?! They were trying to beat the snot out of each other! Hell, Derplander at one point gathers wind or aether about his arm and strikes out at her.

Sparring is now dancing... /snorts

I mean, I guess she might still prove to be a Dancer... but still.

She was obviously a monk, and I'm kind of annoyed by everyone who insists that she's a dancer just because she has some vaguely dance-like motions in her kata. If dancer played anything like monk, it'd be a completely redundant and pointless class addition.

That all sad, I enjoyed how over-the-top fantastical that little sparring session was. That's my kinda jam right there! Too bad the combat itself doesn't express that kind of physicality. Ah, perchance to dream...

She was obviously a monk, and I'm kind of annoyed by everyone who insists that she's a dancer just because she has some vaguely dance-like motions in her kata. If dancer played anything like monk, it'd be a completely redundant and pointless class addition.

Dancer could be the second Job class for Pugilist, which would explain how the moves look alike.

While I'm of the camp thinking that the Lady in Red is representative of a new class, the possibility also rests with she could just have her own personal fighting style...but I'm not personally buying that for a few reasons.

For one the Monk's fighting style (and indeed the Warrior of Light's in the trailer) fits Southern Shaolin Kung Fu's fist-fighting and has been known to be based off that. Watching the trailer a number of times makes me feel like Lady in Red's fighting style is more based on the longer, more fluid motions of Northern Shaolin.

Another thing is that she doesn't just punch and kick. It's hard to see at normal speed in the video but if you slow the youtube video down to x0.25 and watch from about 1:10 to 1:17 you'll see that she attacks the Warrior of Light three times in succession with what appears to be a blade attached to a ribbon of cloth before it retracts into the sleeve-like thing on her left arm.

665884ffe04131a20cb53970d95c5092.png

This plus the tidbits in 1.0 where Ala Mhigan Bladedancers were labeled NPCs and there were items called "Bladedancer's Jackboots" made me sit and think...perhaps this Lady in Red is actually a new class called Bladedancer based on that idea using a similar martial style combined with a different weapon: the flail/whip, another traditional FF weapon.

Just my own theory based on watching the trailer one too many times and based on the fact that Yoshi-P deliberately stated the Warrior of Light was a monk...but did not specify that Lady in Red was as well.

I don't understand what people expect from out of 'teaser'. No, it didn't reveal much... which is sort of the point? However, if you know where to look and what to look for, it did tell us some things. Like how the quality of the visuals actually slightly improved, for one thing. It also possibly teased a new class (if it turns out that Lady in Red isn't a MNK) along with a nice pan-out of one of the main new areas.

Quick sidenote, back in 1.0, blade dancers were mentioned as being a thing in Ala Mhigo. So that's likely why some folks are thinking dancer. But I'm staying on the safe side and saying she's probably just a MNK with a seemingly dancer-esque flourish.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not expecting to learn new things out of it. I'm expecting to see it creating hype. 

Which it obviously did for many people, but just not me. It looks totally bland and generic to me.

• 5 months later...