Simultaneous Logout Measures

AquiziTC

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/263f9a10fe534e8c93e43d08fde73eaba1c52976

We are experiencing a situation where several Worlds are consistently reaching the maximum number of players that can be logged into the game during peak hours. This has led to extended login queues for players to log in.

In order to ease congestion issues at launch, we have placed a measure to automatically log out players who have been idle for 30 minutes. However, we have noticed a number of players using methods to circumvent this automatic logout. This has created a situation where the login queue cannot move forward during periods of heavy congestion.

As such, we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day. Announcement for when this will take place will be made one hour prior via in-game system message. Please note that you will be logged out of the game even while inside of instances or duties.

Players will not be able to log back into the game for about 10 minutes while this is being processed.

As a reminder, we’re offering special incentives to those who transfer from a Congested World to New/Preferred Worlds. These incentives include the waiving of transfer fees, and 10 gold chocobo feathers which can be exchanged for in-game items. We appreciate your consideration of these offers.

Learn more about New World and World population balancing incentives: http://sqex.to/iw6

We apologize for the inconvenience the congestion has been causing our players, and thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Because SE's preferred solution is a rusty hatchet.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good solution for Balmung. But the rest of the Data Center is livid because EVERYONE has to suffer for it.

So it's normal Balmung hate x10000 right now.

Ahh I missed that part. That seems odd to log out all worlds. Especially when we know it's possible to only shut down particular worlds.

Knowing my luck this will happen right when I'm able to log on and then I'll get thrown into the queue again. I wish they'd tell us the time this will happen so I can plan in advance but that might defeat the point a little. Curses for afk exploits and the inability to fix it I guess.

SE be savage.

Just imagine that moment when you have a Ex Primal at 2% after wiping so many times...

Then SE lol logs you out

Should have paid attention to the logout announcement lol. Granted this system is not perfect, but something had to be done.

One can only hope that this is more of a temporary fix and they'll come down the pipe later with a patch or something that blocks the AFK evasion methods. I mean, they're pretty well-known, right? At least, the crafting-lock one is pretty obvious if you look around - people all over all somehow in the middle of crafting with that red chair...

If I remember correctly, Balmung and Omega are the ones with these abnormal queues.

Not really, my friends from Cerberus have been 2k queues as well and taking 2 hours to log in.

At all times? Balmung has these long queues for more than 12 hours a day. From around 11am PDT to 10pm PDT, you can usually see 1hr+ queues. For a certain time of that, you're usually seeing 2hour+ queues. These times noted on weekends. Balmung has a period where it has almost no queue at all but it's probably just less than the quarter of a day.

Wouldn't a better solution be to add more servers? If the population is so congested that even low pop worlds are full, maybe add more worlds.

Not all worlds are full yet. SE likely wants the new/preferred worlds that exist to fill out before they add even more new servers.

Wouldn't a better solution be to add more servers? If the population is so congested that even low pop worlds are full, maybe add more worlds.

Mm, yeah but there's already quite a few prettu much unused servers. That would only increase the number.

... Maybe they'll have to add more data centers? And straight up relocate some of the heftier Worlds onto them?

Like, we have the Aether data center for all of the US, right? Maybe we need to have one for East Coast and one for West Coast with, like... Balmung on one, Gilgamesh on the other, and divvying up the rest of the Worlds between them for an even split of population?

I dunno.

Mm, yeah but there's already quite a few prettu much unused servers. That would only increase the number.

Which ones are unused? I'd transfer there in a heartbeat if it means I can get away from the massive amount of people. I've been playing an alt on Goblin and I still see a small queue to get in during peak hours.

Adding more data centers? I doubt it. You could say that this is in part a largely player population issue that is exploded by the fact that SE didn't FUCKing. Close. Balmung. when it should have.

They're not going to add more servers when the issue is compounded on just a few because they're far too populated. Why don't the players just move to the ones not populated? (Corporate rhetoric, we all know why).

... Maybe they'll have to add more data centers? And straight up relocate some of the heftier Worlds onto them?

Like, we have the Aether data center for all of the US, right? Maybe we need to have one for East Coast and one for West Coast with, like... Balmung on one, Gilgamesh on the other, and divvying up the rest of the Worlds between them for an even split of population?

I dunno.

I like that idea. Ever since they moved the data centers for NA, I've been experiencing massive lag spikes that I never had before. It really breaks immersion when people start blinking around the screen or actions don't trigger for 5 seconds after you press them.

That and even Gilgamesh people are reporting that they're barely ever getting long queues (they usually get ones where you can just cancel-through), even during what NA players consider 'prime time' aka 7pm - 10pm pacific

I'm curious -when- this log out will be happening. Since Balmungs queue starts so earlier, we definitely have the risk of people waiting in queue, getting kicked, just to wait in queue again if they aren't doing it in the early hours. Most of the AFKing happens in the work day, so it'd have to be then to deal with the issue.

I dunno.

There are already two NA data centers - Aether and Primal.

Adding more data centers? I doubt it. You could say that this is in part a largely player population issue that is exploded by the fact that SE didn't FUCKing. Close. Balmung. when it should have.

They're not going to add more servers when the issue is compounded on just a few because they're far too populated. Why don't the players just move to the ones not populated? (Corporate rhetoric, we all know why).

The idea isn't just to add more Worlds/servers. It's to split the existing ones into new data centers like they did with the US/EU one. I mean, maybe they would add a couple new Worlds if there's some sort of "minimum number of Worlds" requirement for a data center... but the general idea is that there'd be a whole new data center being used for not only those worlds, but for their cross-server instances and the like. And a separate "staging server" for people waiting to get loaded onto their Worlds.

If my understanding of how it all works is right (it very likely might not be, Unnamed will probably swoop in and point in all the things I've got wrong here at some point or another)... then not only would that help the queues to login, but it'd also help the dungeon queues. Stop the situations like what I saw on... Sunday? Where a near instant to five minute queue for Palace of the Dead for a single character turned into a 30+ minute wait and at least a 5 minute wait for a full four-man team.

I dunno.

There are already two NA data centers - Aether and Primal.

... A third one then. Aether, Primal, and... I dunno. Eikon? Something.

Or at least see how feasible it would be to transfer a heftier World from one to the other. Move Balmung/Gilgamesh to Primal or something. Just so the super-bloat isn't all confined on one data center.

Can't say I'm too thrilled with this development or consider it the best means, but I suppose if it lessens the queues for the people on Balmung I'm willing to be aggravated once a day if it's only temporary.

If nothing else I'm curious to see if this will actually work. I recall on FFXI that after maintenance, the bots and AFKers were right back on the servers within minutes. By and large they seemed to be the sorts of people who would / could simply come back just long enough to log back in. I couldn't say if this is the case with Balmung but I'm certainly curious.