Simultaneous Logout Measures

AquiziTC

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check with EU friends. They are not being DCed.

Reset is not all at the same time across all datacenters, as some doomsayers have been screaming.

... That was a concern? I was under the impression that the time of the disconnect would be unique to the datacenter and the part of the globe it's covering.

Reset is not all at the same time across all datacenters, as some doomsayers have been screaming.

... That was a concern? I was under the impression that the time of the disconnect would be unique to the datacenter and the part of the globe it's covering.

You don't want to know how mad my EU friends were "Ermgerd reset during our primetime cuz they only care about US/JP"

But we wouldn't put it past SE to do them all at once. ...at least based on DC's timezone is acceptable. ...until people wait for after the force-kick and remotely login after.

You don't want to know how mad my EU friends were "Ermgerd reset during our primetime cuz they only care about US/JP"

Not to be "that guy" but if it's a US server, why would they care about the EU people they're disrupting? I get that it sucks for them but there's EU servers for a reason.

Looks like today's (and possibly all future occurrences of this) will be happening at Noon PDT.

So really all this is doing is screwing over the people in their own time zone because those in Eastern/Central will be able to get home and log in before others and still afk out using the work around.

Or the people that get home after that but still have things to do can just do it again. I think it'll help some, but in the grand scheme of things it may do very little. Time will tell, I guess.

I think just based on the nature of time zones anyway that this would always be the case unless they did the reset at like 5PM EDT, which I feel would be a bad idea.

You're not wrong. It was always going to be an issue regardless of what time they picked, which is why I didn't think this was going to be effective. Their best bet would be to just cut the connection of whatever IP has been flagged as AFK for x amount of time, but I'm honestly not even sure if they have that capability at this point.

It's at least 'seemingly' more effective than at 7am PDT like some people wanted. It wouldn't do much.

But we wouldn't put it past SE to do them all at once. ...at least based on DC's timezone is acceptable. ...until people wait for after the force-kick and remotely login after.

Dingdingding.

This ain't solving anything.

So this is a regular thing now "As such, we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day."

Even though it is the worst time for me, slap bang in the middle of my play time, and I expect there will be massive queues to get back in, it will make housing available again.

Thank you SE, it's a half way measure but it is better than nothing.

So this is a regular thing now "As such, we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day."

Even though it is the worst time for me, slap bang in the middle of my play time, and I expect there will be massive queues to get back in, it will make housing available again.

Lol stop acting so dramatic. You're EU as well, our queues times haven't been that horrible compared to US people.

Yeah you're EU playing on a US server. It sucks but the times they're going to aim for are when the US players aren't busy. I'd expect the same for a EU server dropping during someone else's prime time.

You're also far more likely to be able to login as soon as server comes back up AND were able to login without effort than NA players whereas I bet no more than half of those AFKers in NA who got booted won't be RDPing to login/start to queue.

fef6c8c3773fd8dccc862a94b4b793d9.png

We'll see how long it takes. I have high hopes. But idk.

Someone already told me the queue is up to 3k.

So what exactly was this reportedly fixing again? Because as far as I can tell, it has accomplished absolutely nothing aside from scrambling the order of people legit playing the game.

It's worth noting the queue is moving at a standard pace - 100 people / 1 minute. So a 3k queue will reliably take 30 minutes.

As opposed to the overflow queues we were dealing with as standard at peak time, where a 3k queue could take up to 4 hours.

It'll probably deteriorate, but...

...or they could just make it so the existing afk-logout ignores player status (crafting, etc) and ignores repetitive keystrokes (so people can't just weigh down arrow keys and run in circles to avoid the logout). I mean your idea has merit too, but it seems better to just implement "no seriously, we mean it, AFK means AFK".

This is gonna sound mean, but do you have any idea how a server works? And how impossibly difficicult it would be to differentiate between "valid" keystrokes/movement data and "AFK avoidance" keystrokes and movement data? They can't just boot people who've been in a zone for X number of minutes. RPers. People FATE farming. Crafters. Gatherers. The list goes on.

They also are not going to track patterns for every single player. I don't know any game company that has the time and storage to do that. An active connection is defined as the client and server exchanging data. They could buff up the AFK code to require client packets going to the server, but that wouldn't stop someone from using a crafting macro or a macro to run in circles. Or to run between zone lines every X minutes. (Easily achived with arrow keys alone).

SUPER MEAN! T.T

Nah, I kid. You're all good, ol' buddy. :3

I know it's hardly as simple as I said, but nothing ever is with programming and MMOs especially (and this one in particular, which I've heard is like trying to find a meatball in a football field of spaghetti noodles). Still, it feels like they could... I mean, make some effort, you know? This plan of theirs, it's not really effort. I'm in a queue well over 2,000 mid-day on a weekday. That's crazy.

I won't be home for another two hours. I wonder if it'll be back to "normal" by then. :(

Only one way to find out! I'll be home in two-ish hours as well. We can build a camp fire and sing songs together while we wait. I have a balcony.

I won't be home for another two hours. I wonder if it'll be back to "normal" by then. :(

Only one way to find out! I'll be home in two-ish hours as well. We can build a camp fire and sing songs together while we wait. I have a balcony.

Terrible idea, I'm a horrible singer.

Terrible idea, I'm a horrible singer.

Same. We can be bad together! \o/

:/ So what's the point if people can write scripts to login while they're still at work; and access retainers, etc to afk again? I guess they're hoping that most people don't know how to do this?