Temporary Suspension of World Transfer to the Omega World

Aldotsk

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/72b256b3e08e343c1511f88a1e355929598ee32d

With the help of new and existing players, the number of active players on the Omega World is now on the same level as the other Worlds on the Chaos data centre. Thank you very much for your cooperation. 

With that said, we will be temporarily suspending all transfers to the Omega World to prevent any further congestion. 

Additionally, if we continue to see an increase in population on the Omega World, we may change the status to “Congested”. Please note that once the status is changed to “Congested”, players on the Omega World will no longer receive the EXP bonus. 

For more details on the balancing of World population, please view the topics below. 

http://sqex.to/_PP 

Wow so, let's all give you an incentive to switch to this server. Oh caps been reached now? We're going to strip it all away......nice SE.

Is it all that surprising? They're trying to get people to move to low-pop servers. Once the server isn't low-pop anymore, why continue to give the bonus? Then you're giving people a choice between a low-pop with a bonus and a mid-to-high pop with the exact same bonus. You'd basically be fast-tracking yourself to another Balmung or Gilgamesh if you didn't drop the bonus once the server was out of the low-pop rungs.

Wow so, let's all give you an incentive to switch to this server. Oh caps been reached now? We're going to strip it all away......nice SE.

Is it all that surprising? They're trying to get people to move to low-pop servers. Once the server isn't low-pop anymore, why continue to give the bonus? Then you're giving people a choice between a low-pop with a bonus and a mid-to-high pop with the exact same bonus. You'd basically be fast-tracking yourself to another Balmung or Gilgamesh if you didn't drop the bonus once the server was out of the low-pop rungs.

The bonus is not getting dropped till after it's labelled as congested, and no longer allows transfers/new characters. (if I'm understanding correctly) Meaning that those characters already on the world should continue to get their bonus for at least 1 character to hit a level 60 class, no?

As it stands right now it's like you walk out into your yard where your 7 kids are playing and tell them the first 4 that comes inside the house each gets 3 cookies instead of one. Then the moment all 4 kids show up inside you say "Oh okay you no longer need these" and strip them of their cookies lol.

The bonus is not getting dropped till after it's labelled as congested, and no longer allows transfers/new characters. (if I'm understanding correctly) Meaning that those characters should continue to get their bonus for at least 1 character to hit a level 60 class, no?

As it stands right now it's like you walk out into your yard where your 7 kids are playing and tell them the first 4 that comes inside the house each gets 3 cookies instead of one. Then the moment all 4 kids show up inside you say "Oh okay you no longer need these" and strip them of their cookies lol.

That's... a kind of a bad analogy?

It's more like an apartment company trying to fill up their various apartment buildings. So they have a "limited time" rent situation where new renters in certain apartments have a reduced rent. Once they hit that threshold, they would want to drop the rent bonus for that building so that the other low-resident buildings can get some attention.

Should the people who moved in and got that reduced rent suddenly have their rent inflated back up to everyone else's? No, of course not. And so, I would hope that if you had that +XP bonus, it'll last until you get at least one character up to 60. However, new arrivals to an already congested server shouldn't get it.

The bonus is not getting dropped till after it's labelled as congested, and no longer allows transfers/new characters. (if I'm understanding correctly) Meaning that those characters should continue to get their bonus for at least 1 character to hit a level 60 class, no?

Should the people who moved in and got that reduced rent suddenly have their rent inflated back up to everyone else's? No, of course not. And so, I would hope that if you had that +XP bonus, it'll last until you get at least one character up to 60. However, new arrivals to an already congested server shouldn't get it.

We're actually on the same page then :thumbsup:

Be prepared for more of this, and not just on Chaos datacenter.

From what I've been told and the little research I've seen, the servers -- read: the physical machines -- for each world A) have not been upgraded yet, and B) are identical. That would mean that a congested world like Balmung and a relatively empty world like Zalera are running on identical pieces of hardware.

IF IT'S TRUE...!

This would explain why there's been a lack of further investment in the infrastructure: the capacity is there but it's not being utilized. So you'll see what's happened with Omega happen elsewhere: incentives will prompt communities to agree on a particular world to populate, and once it's been populated Square-Enix will shut the gates on that world and continue offering incentives to transfer elsewhere. This will probably continue until the existing capacity has been filled... or, at least, the distribution of players grows to be more level than it is now.

So you'll see what's happened with Omega happen elsewhere: incentives will prompt communities to agree on a particular world to populate, and once it's been populated Square-Enix will shut the gates on that world and continue offering incentives to transfer elsewhere. This will probably continue until the existing capacity has been filled... or, at least, the distribution of players grows to be more level than it is now.

Quite possibly. It has been quite obvious that Square-Enix is trying to even out the load over the servers, so that they are all well-populated without being overcrowded.

Chaos datacentre was the only center who got new servers, because the existing servers there were all well-populated and of about the same size. The first new server (Omega) filled out quicker than everyone had expected. This combined with high loads on other EU servers made them add another new server to Chaos (Louisoix) as well as declaring a couple of servers there congested.

In other centers there were a mix of large and small servers - hence the designation of congested and preferred servers to make people move away from the large servers and to the small ones.

It will be very interesting to see the next census, but I suspect we will see much less difference between the large and small servers.

In SE's defense, it was never stated anywhere that the transfer incentives were permanent.

They probably could have given a heads up with the initial announcement to let people know they wouldn't be a thing forever... But I think people should've known better, imo.

In SE's defense, it was never stated anywhere that the transfer incentives were permanent.

They probably could have given a heads up with the initial announcement to let people know they wouldn't be a thing forever... But I think people should've known better, imo.

I think it was quite clear that the incentives would only apply for as long as the world was considered a "New world". It was not made clear when/why it would cease having that designation - but that it would happen eventually was obvious.

I think it was quite clear that the incentives would only apply for as long as the world was considered a "New world".   It was not made clear when/why it would cease having that designation - but that it would happen eventually was obvious.

Well, said servers were created in the first place solely to help alleviate congestion... so it could be argued that it's just as obvious that the incentives would go away when those servers became subject to congestion themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it was quite clear that the incentives would only apply for as long as the world was considered a "New world".   It was not made clear when/why it would cease having that designation - but that it would happen eventually was obvious.

Well, said servers were created in the first place solely to help alleviate congestion... so it could be argued that it's just as obvious that the incentives would go away when those servers became subject to congestion themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would say to remove the "incentives" after two weeks would be quite crass. Especially as one of those is an XP boost on levels below 60, and would hardly have made much difference in this time. The actual incentives don't hurt anyone and removing them just has a negative impact on players.

Unless of course it was all a trap!

I would say to remove the "incentives" after two weeks would be quite crass. Especially as one of those is an XP boost on levels below 60, and would hardly have made much difference in this time.

Considering that if you have access to all the +XP stuff, you can easily get four-times XP on kills up to around level 30... I'd argue you can get a lot of difference. I got a character on Mateus from creation to done with his job-unlock in two days of after-work play. Even with the slowdown to double-and-change past 30, I could figure you could pretty easily get to 50-60 within that two week period.

... Maybe even get close to leveling two jobs decently high on a character because adding the Armory bonus just makes things even more ridiculous. I did the maths in another thread.

Thanks to this my tiny fc of irl friends is stuck in 2 servers. Long story short, 2 people were left behind. First had problems to get transfer working, even when Omega was still open (she tried during silent hours, but for some reason it didnt work). Second stayed willingly to try sell house+fc at old server, so that maybe getting large plot from Shirogane would be possible with that little extra gil (given stars align just right on release day. I know, such hubris....) Hmm, so so much for transferring to play with friends. Heck, I would pay for transfer, and I dont care of XP and other extras... I just want to get to rebuilding my fc. Leviathan was lovely server, but datacenter relocation really boosted my, EU players, lag through the roof...

Thanks to this my tiny fc of irl friends is stuck in 2 servers. Long story short, 2 people were left behind. First had problems to get transfer working, even when Omega was still open (she tried during silent hours, but for some reason it didnt work). Second stayed willingly to try sell house+fc at old server, so that maybe getting large plot from Shirogane would be possible with that little extra gil (given stars align just right on release day. I know, such hubris....) Hmm, so so much for transferring to play with friends. Heck, I would pay for transfer, and I dont care of XP and other extras... I just want to get to rebuilding my fc. Leviathan was lovely server, but datacenter relocation really boosted my, EU players, lag through the roof...

Unless I'm wrong, which I usually am, I believe they can still roll new characters over there? Maybe just not transfer in? Wouldn't make much sense to me but it said nothing about creating new characters.