For those still hesistant about Mateus [Admin of Hub post]

Hi there.

https://discord.gg/HPbYNFU

That link I just posted is the server I created when I heard Balmung was being locked. I started on Mateus in Dec. 2015 and was originally going to transfer out of want for RP; but, after I heard that, I realized we had a massive opportunity here.

Before the Hub, FoxFireStorm and I were collaborating on the RPM, the old server for our smaller community, and here, the Hydaelyn forums. As you can probably tell by my join date, I don't use these much. Lol

I wanted to reach a hand out to those who feel like Mateus is an option. I've been on here for years + on the Hub since day one. We've made mistakes, had fights, but in the end, we're human. And now we've grown and created this fantastic community with upcoming events, a Discord server-wide contest (with art prizes!—and another one starting Dec. 5th for Christmas!), RP workshops in the making and an upcoming discord server-wide story arc to try and bring our community together.

I encourage you, if you left in the beginning please give us another shot. We have a discord directory (which even includes another smaller hub discord if you don't like ours!) and our way of making the server great has grown with time. (We sorta know what we're doing now! I hope.)

Hope to meet you soon.

-Rhys, aka B'rhysla Vaelin :chocobo:

I currently in the process of coming back to the game. I am debating on using a new character or playing on one of my old ones. For your discord server do you all take in returning players? I used to role play a lot when I was Balmung but it has almost been a year since I last role played. I would be a little rusty when it came to dishing out the lines. Would it be okay if I joined?

I currently in the process of coming back to the game. I am debating on using a new character or playing on one of my old ones. For your discord server do you all take in returning players? I used to role play a lot when I was Balmung but it has almost been a year since I last role played. I would be a little rusty when it came to dishing out the lines. Would it be okay if I joined?

Absolutely. The Hub is aimed to be a community center for those RPing on Mateus. There are no restrictions, no limits, nothing. New, returning, veterans, we want anyone and everyone who thinks they'd find use out of the Discord to come in and contribute. If you have questions about the game, about RPing, about Lore, we all aim to answer and help. And if you're an FC leader, LS leader, or enjoy making events we doubly want you because without the support of the leaders in the Mateus RP community this effort doesn't go nearly as far.

Just as much we're encouraging our FC and LS leaders to come and be active here on the RPC, as this is a fantastic tool for those returning to the game or flying solo to find a group to RP and play with on Mateus. 

I've personally transferred from Balmung to Mateus for a few different reasons and can say that I do not regret doing so, and have found Mateus to be a wonderful and welcoming new home.

can't recommend this place enough, honestly. i've been a roleplayer for many years now (almost a decade) and decided to take the leap from forum and social media based roleplay to mmorpg/real time roleplay and in doing so, transferred to mateus during The Great Migration. i came across a link for the hub on here one day and didn't really expect much, only to be met with a surprisingly organised, newbie-friendly, and very large server full of all kinds of roleplayers and characters to interact with, dedicated channels for learning and going back over the lore and aiding in character creation and development, and more. i've met a ton of people and gotten a bunch of roleplays already and i don't regret stumbling upon it all one bit. frankly, i don't know where i'd be right now if i hadn't, it's helped that much.

i implore anyone to give it a try. they'd be more than happy to have you.

Lovely first experience into the roleplaying scene on FFXIV.

I was disappointed when I found out Balmung was nontransferable though I'm not worried about it what so ever any longer. More than willing to help even outside of RP stuff and generally a relaxed place. 

Would recommend to anyone.

Just remember, guys - please think really, really, super hard about it before you transfer off of Balmung, because from the looks of things, you may never be able to go back again if you do so. 

You can make new characters on Mateus, so if you're not absolutely certain you'd never want to play on Balmung again, it's a good idea to hedge your bets by leaving your Balmung character where they are and making a new one on Mateus. That way both options remain open to you, as opposed to leaving yourself with only one. :)

I've made 2 alts on Mateus I RP with, I haven't touched Balmung in months. These alts are now my mains lol. I'm very tempted to move my "main" to Mateus as well but for now I like him staying there to keep in touch with friends. Otherwise I never log on him like I used to.

I feel like Mateus is slowly growing into a 2nd Balmung. We're starting to see events posted on the PF, more RP outside quicksand, and lots of friendly people.

Are there a fair amount of brand new players on Mateus who RP?

I’m a returning player who is coming back after three years and needs to re-learn a /lot/ of the game before I go back to my one character on Balmung. I discovered last night that can’t make an alt to re-learn there now.

Is there anyone on Mateus I can get in touch with about a RP-centric FC for essential newcomers to the game? I’m more of an open-world /say RPer, but above all I enjoy adventure-themed RP that happens in the overworld or while completing combat or exploration-based content. If anyone could point me to an FC that might suit that brand of RP, I would be deeply grateful. Everything I have read about Mateus sounds really encouraging.

(Also hello to Balmung friends who I haven’t seen in years! ^^

If this belongs in Seeking Connections, rather than here, feel free to remove, and I will repost.)

Edited by Kamome

I’m a returning player who is coming back after three years and needs to re-learn a /lot/ of the game before I go back to my one character on Balmung. I discovered last night that can’t make an alt to re-learn there now. To complicate things further, I didn’t think I’d ever be coming back at one point and let a friend use my account to play on Balmung and have essentially missed all of Heavensward’s story... at a bit of a loss at how I want to proceed, generally speaking.

Is there anyone on Mateus I can get in touch with about a RP-centric FC for essential newcomers to the game? I’m more of an open-world /say RPer, but above all I enjoy adventure-themed RP that happens in the overworld or while completing combat or exploration-based content. If anyone could point me to an FC that might suit that brand of RP, I would be deeply grateful. Everything I have read about Mateus sounds really encouraging.

If this belongs in Seeking Connections, rather than here, feel free to remove, and I will repost.)

Feel free to reach out to the Reliquarian's Guild if you want some help catching up on what you've missed - but we're on Balmung, and, I don't want to hijack this thread. I'm only mentioning it since you'd asked about seeking connections. :D If you opt the route of checking out Mateus, I can only wish you luck and lots of fun!

I’m a returning player who is coming back after three years and needs to re-learn a /lot/ of the game before I go back to my one character on Balmung. I discovered last night that can’t make an alt to re-learn there now. To complicate things further, I didn’t think I’d ever be coming back at one point and let a friend use my account to play on Balmung and have essentially missed all of Heavensward’s story... at a bit of a loss at how I want to proceed, generally speaking.

While I don't know if any of the top of my head, the Discord server has an entire directory full of all kinds of FCs on Mateus. I can't recommend enough just peeking your head in the server to see what we have in stock. :)

Just wanted to say thanks in the thread to everyone and endorse the fact that the Discord is extremely helpful and active for anyone else in my situation who either needs to relearn or can’t get an alternate or new character on Balmung.

Thank you guys for making such a welcoming and helpful community in this difficult situation for new RPers and lock-outs! ^^

Just remember, guys - please think really, really, super hard about it before you transfer off of Balmung, because from the looks of things, you may never be able to go back again if you do so. 

You can make new characters on Mateus, so if you're not absolutely certain you'd never want to play on Balmung again, it's a good idea to hedge your bets by leaving your Balmung character where they are and making a new one on Mateus. That way both options remain open to you, as opposed to leaving yourself with only one. :)

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. Take some serious consideration before you jump over. I was leveling an alt for a week, watching the Discord and people in it for two weeks, and very strict before I took the plunge to transfer my main. If I hadn't invested so much time into the character I may have left him on Balmung, but I made the jump in the end.

I'm not going to say Mateus is an amazing godsend. It's still an RP community and it some respects its still cutting its teeth. But if you're concerned about RP activity, newbie friendliness, veterans returning, or aren't sure where to go with Balmung closed down? Mateus is happy to welcome you. We all are. Rhys (The thread creator) and many others have made huge efforts to create a place that's sort of a central 'hang out' in Discord for the Mateus players, and she's gung-ho about driving community events as well.

If you are the sort who wants to be part of a budding community, if you enjoy bringing people together, if you're concerned about transferring, please. Come check us out. We're happy to discuss whatever questions you may have.

• 2 months later...

/modhat on 

This is a reminder of our RPC Rules. We do not allow call outs in any shape or form here. This is not the place to discuss internal drama between individuals. 

If anyone has any doubts on if it is alright to post a certain thing, the RPC Staff can always be approached via PM's for guidance.