Can a DRK have a "master"?

From what I've understood out of the meaning to be a DRK, I know they can have mentors or people who can teach them more of the dark arts. What I was curious though was, can they have someone they serve or swear their sword to without it conflicting the purpose of a DRK?

So, dark knight's I understand are just like batman. They serve justice to the highest authority that's supposed to protect in the first place. A punisher to the punishers so to speak. They are beholden to no titles or ranks, or etc, and simply serve justice through their own heart or at least what they deem as justice through their own morality. When I thought about this, I questioned if one could serve as a bodyguard or as someone's personal knight to some degree? The only loop I find around this is if the person they're working for has the same conviction they do and they would pledge to it for a greater good (or at least, what they think would be for the greater good). Otherwise, I'm having trouble seeing another way around the idea for a dark knight to serve a higher authority when they're self proclaimed to be their own.

Thoughts?

Don't see why not as the core tenet of a drk is that they follow their own hearts. You could also say Sidurgu serves a master too or something like that. Also Ser Zephirin from the heaven's ward wields a greatsword and definitely serves a master so as long as your character wants to serve said person then there isnt much a problem.:tonberry:

Could be serving a master as a remnant of the ishgardian social strata. A brume born DRK naturally serving a noble born DRK master doesn't seem too ludicrous to me, for example.

Social castes are irrelevant in the night, where DRK serve their own purpose and higher purposes, but to see people resorting to their old traditions doesn't seem off to me.

How about one that doesn't have Ishgardian relations? I feel like if I had a DRK (specifically DRK, not just a great sword user), and he chose to serve some noble or someone as a bodyguard... wouldn't it defeat the purpose of them relinquishing those binds of social construct? The whole idea of DRK's being free to serve justice feels like it'd be defeated no?

EDIT: on a side note.. where do DRK's even get their AF armor from? dragoons I imagine Ishgard has blacksmiths that make it or pieces are handed down which makes sense... dark knights armor is from....?

UPDark Knights exist specifically to combat the corruption on Ishgard. Someone who uses that style of combat but isn't indoctrinated to that cause isn't a Dark Knight, they're just someone who uses that style of combat. It's a specific title referring to a role/career, not a catch all for people who use greatswords and emotional aether.

Edit: less Batman, more Punisher.

UPDark Knights exist specifically to combat the corruption on Ishgard. Someone who uses that style of combat but isn't indoctrinated to that cause isn't a Dark Knight, they're just someone who uses that style of combat. It's a specific title referring to a role/career, not a catch all for people who use greatswords and emotional aether.

Edit: less Batman, more Punisher.

I mean, during the 30-50 quests you aren't always in Ishgard doing good deeds and were still a dark knight. I feel like they wouldn't be exclusive to just Ishgard or at least wouldn't solely live in Ishgard with that one defining purpose. Though it does make sense considering the name and how they formed.

Ultimately I think it comes down to the dark knight's personal convictions and morals. What their darkness is telling them and how they handle it. 

The philosophy behind the dark knight is to bring justice to those who the law will not touch. They tend to teach hold loyalties to no one. 

That last part kind of comes down to personal interpretation to me. Which can be anywhere from I am only looking out for myself to I'll serve under you and recognize you as long as you are just. 

If they find someone to stand behind with a cause that supports a dark knight's convictions they could possibly be willing to serve them.

Ultimately I think it comes down to the dark knight's personal convictions and morals. What their darkness is telling them and how they handle it. 

The philosophy behind the dark knight is to bring justice to those who the law will not touch. They tend to teach hold loyalties to no one. 

That last part kind of comes down to personal interpretation to me. Which can be anywhere from I am only looking out for myself to I'll serve under you and recognize you as long as you are just. 

If they find someone to stand behind with a cause that supports a dark knight's convictions they could possibly be willing to serve them.

Interesting. My concept was possibly changing a character for having some of his pent up doubts finally eating away at him, he stumbles upon an odd crystal throughout a trip, and picks up on DRK to be above the "faith" his people cling to so dearly and die for. So rather than one that's above specific laws in civil districts, he'd be more above a religion that has created laws for his people.

At least... something along those lines. From that point on, I wanted to make him into a bodyguard for one reason or another (long term RP like that is always fun). Still holding to those newfound convictions while protecting someone along his travels.