Pure blood Garleans

I've been thinking about rolling a pure blooded Garlean, third eye and all for another rp character and was wondering if it would make or break any lore revolving around them if I used a Roegadyn build for my character. My idea is to roll a femroe Hellguard with red tinted skin but with how little we know about the pure blooded Garleans I'm not sure if this makes sense in the world.

Any input would be great. ^^

Since there's technically no Garlean model to choose from, I think you're basically forced into using alternative options for having a pure-blood Garlean character.

So far, I usually see Hyurs being used (for obvious reasons, I suppose), but I myself actually use an Elezen model with the shortest ear option. So, I don't really see any reason why you couldn't use a Roegadyn in the same way. Just have to make them look reasonably Garlean-ish.

Since there's technically no Garlean model to choose from, I think you're basically forced into using alternative options for having a pure-blood Garlean character.

So far, I usually see Hyurs being used (for obvious reasons, I suppose), but I myself actually use an Elezen model with the shortest ear option. So, I don't really see any reason why you couldn't use a Roegadyn in the same way. Just have to make them look reasonably Garlean-ish.

Which is where my question is coming from, I could roll with a lighter skin for my hellguard but I'm leaning towards a red skin tone if possible. Would that be too far of a stretch? Or do we just not know enough about them when its basically anyones guess?

I think Garleans are considered (by Eorzean classification standards) their own "race", most similar to Hyurans but made distinct by the third eye and being kind of tall and lanky.

...I think.

How to represent that with the models we have available is something I smacked my head against for a while and eventually gave up on - closest I ever got was with a Midlander-F set as tall as possible and with the most angular face options, but it never quite worked out. Shame the aether insensitivity means we'll probably never get playable Garlean models.

Good luck!

So far all the Pure blooded Garleans we've been given are light haired, pale skinned, and really really tall. While there is probably some variance to that, I imagine as a race that is probably the norm with darker hair and skin tones being exceedingly rare. A red skin tone probably would not be a thing at all as any variation of the pale skin would be akin to a midlander's color palette.

The models given in game of Pure Blooded Garleans are a mess of Elezen and Hyur (midlander) without the rounded ears of a half breed though most people just use the midlander model thanks to our lovely Cid NPC.

The discoloration of skin given what we have seen in game would mean the character would probably not be a pureblood, especially if the Roe model is used as it goes against the normal frame we've seen. Not saying it couldn't work but plenty of people will raise a brow towards it.

The third eye isn't truly a third EYE but it is like a sensory organ. There isn't much lore behind it but the idea that has been floating around it is that it is used to sense in a 360 degree angle around the person who has it which some people believe is why Garleans are so great at being Airship pilots since they have a full view of the area around them and the ship.

Any Garleans not of pure blood however will not have the eye. So if you want to go with Roe be prepared to explain the reasoning she may be pureblood or you could always say halfbreed so you can use aether. (Note, the lore book says Garleans can use aether but it is very very very very (did I say very?) rare.

Pure-blooded Garleans are considered their own race but are most similar/closely related to the Hyur. The actual in-game models use a mix of Hyuran and Elezen features, making their build fairly difficult to recreate. I've seen a mix of Garlean roleplayers using Midlander or Highlander models, however. I don't see why a Roegadyn model couldn't work though, since it combines the height, musculature, and rounded ears that characterize the Garleans, but if your character is "pure-blooded" she wouldn't strictly be "Roegadyn." Most of the pure-blooded Garlean NPCs we've seen have been pale-skinned and blonde or white haired. There could be variations.

Here's some Garlean lore with some details on the third eye.

You look at the Garleans and again' date=' the Garleans are a different race, the pure-blood ones with the third eye. But when you look at the army they have people of all races because they go and subjugate a nation and tell people they can gain citizenship if you join our army and prove your worth. So that’s why you have so many soldiers that are Elezen, because all the real Garleans are back home ruling while their conscripts conquer the land, sometimes using the magic that they can’t.[/quote']

The Garleans are an enigmatic race of people from a massive empire situated to the north and east of Eorzea' date=' and despite coming from a realm so large, remarkably little is known about them. As few have ever seen them without their armor, rumors about their physical makeup are many, some of the more "coloful" claims being that they implant machina in their bodies to improve agility and strength, and that they possess a third eye allowing them to see in all directions at once. Though, I would assume there is little truth to these sailor's tales.[/quote']

The next question had to deal with the functionality of the Garleans’ third eye (a question that a lot of people ask me personally at Fan Fests and game shows). Oda-san had an answer prepared for this one as well' date=' so I read what he gave me. This pretty much stated that the third eye is believed to considerably improve the race’s capacity for spatial recognition. Because of this, the Garleans have a decided advantage over other races when it comes to navigating aircraft or firing weapons. I then bring up Cid’s bandana and the legatii’s helms...but Yoshi-P says that armor has been designed not to interfere with the workings of the 3rd eye.[/quote']

The female roegadyn idea sounds totally reasonable to me, and even more, makes sense. We've seen such a wide representation of garlean models that it's hard to give a very specific archetype. Cid is almost a midget compared to Nero, and Zenos/Gaius are really frail compared to Nael...

Which makes me think that maybe it's the armor mind you, but the overly bulky frame of Nael van Darnus is sometimes closer to a roe (especially the legs) than an elezen to me, even if the latter has probably been used as the main model. In any case, Nael and Nero are literally giants.

In any case, In any given race you can have slender people, fat people, burly people, etc... so I wouldn't sweat it. The female roegadyn offers the advantage of getting the towering garlean archetype right. Then you can play with armor, visors, and whatnot to get a fine garlic looking person.

The red skin though, sounds like pushing it a bit to me for a very pale and blond race.

Given I did a ton of research on Garlean lore and behaviors (The curse of researching a society oocly since 1.0), I don't see a reason a Roe couldn't be used, long as, like many already have said, it remains in the proper pallet.

Also regarding Nael, back in 1.0, they had male Elezen movement sets, including the emotes. There is (or was) a video out there on Youtube showing this.

And yes, the 3rd eye is a unique thing where even Yoshi P explained in an article of it being a sensory organ (which someone else also explained) and its my belief, based on some information and also how Gaius spoke in 1.0, that they might be aetheric sensitive with it as well. No factual case for it yet, its a theory based on some spoken words and behavior.

That and typically when a race or species is weak to something, they tend to have a natural sixth scent to protect them from that very thing.

However, back on topic. Use a roe if you like. A female elezen however would probably get you closer to a canon female Garlean body type though with, like someone else said, a very, very short ear option.

In the end, we don't have any actual model. We don't have the race (yet??) and we just have to use our imaginations when someone says, "This characer is a pureblood Garlean." to fill in those blanks and make the mental adjustments.

In my experience, the easiest route to go is Hyur. With Elezen or Roe you might have to remind other RPers that your character is a pureblood, which I think can be frustrating.

In our Garlean group, the purebloods are mostly Midlander males and females, some Highlander females, and one or two Elezen males and a few Highlander males. I've never personally seen a Roe played as a pureblood. I think that'd trip me up at first, since there are several Roe imperial npcs in the game, but I'd get used to it.

Can Miqo'te be pure-blooded Garleans? I've noticed they're the only other race in the game that has something in the middle of the forehead, that little red gem.

Unless that means something else?

Garleans are their own race, although they [mostly] look like tall and skinny Hyur. They have a third eye on their forehead, which is unique to only purebloods. Children of mixed blood, like Arenvald do not have these traits.

For other races, some use jewels or paint on their foreheads, but it's not to cover up an eye.

Can Miqo'te be pure-blooded Garleans? I've noticed they're the only other race in the game that has something in the middle of the forehead, that little red gem.

Unless that means something else?

Is that a Seeker thing? I've noticed that Keeper miqo'te can get a black teardrop on their foreheads, but I'm pretty sure it's a tattoo. It's separate from the face paint option, but a lot of the face paint designs seem to incorporate it. Probably means something, though.

That's just a miqo'te thing. Pure blood Garleans are like Nero and Cid. They mean the hyur looking characters with the gems or third eyes in the middle of their foreheads that come from Garlemald. When I've rped pure-blood Garleans I've gone with midlander hyurs with aryan designs with maxed out height but I've seen rpers use midlander or highlander models.

Something worth noting is that we see some pureblooded Garleans that aren't tall, lanky or even have pale colored skin/hair, on the Prima Vista.

670x375https://i.imgur.com/W0BL6F7.png[/img]

So while most purebloods we've seen so far adhere to specific physical traits, it looks like they can look as diverse as any Hyur, the single most common characteristic being their third eye of course.

Using a Roegadyn with red skin might be tricky. No Hyur have red skin, and Roegadyn have distinct facial features that sets them apart from Hyur. As others have stated, Elezen usually do the trick if you want to go for tall and/or lanky. Of course, if you're dead set on that course, go for it!