[Louisoix] Thoughts/help with my Miqo'Te Origins

Hi All,

I have been playing FF14 for just over a year now and have only recently been intrigued by the RP community after doing some research into it. I have done a little RP before but only text based so this is all new to me. Just wondered if anyone would mind providing any feedback on what I have come up with for my character.

I have done some research into the seeker tribes and I have tried to keep my story kind of in line with what I think may be ok:

Character Name: Thorn Thunderfists 

Character Gender: Male

Race: Miqo'Te Seeker 

Character Disposition / Mood (generally speaking): Energetic (Sometimes referred to as hyperactive…) with a positive view on life.   

Background Story / Info: Growing up in the Sagolii Desert always had its ups and downs for Thorn. Found as a baby amongst the brushes near the Forgotten Springs by a wandering female U-Tribe Hunter, he was taken in. Choosing to raise him as her own the female hunter; U’Rurilo had to deal with a lot of disdain from the other tribe members about her decision. She also had to deal with the fact that as an outsider Thorn was not allowed to have a U-Tribe name, so instead she took inspiration from the thorn brushes that she had found him in. 

Shielding him as much as she could from the other tribe members, she raised Thorn to be a self-sufficient child so that if he ever found himself alone he could at least survive. She was a positive soul always advising Thorn to find the good and the excitement in things. 

Unfortunately for Thorn at the age of 10 cycles, U’Rurilo was killed during an Amalj'aa ambush while out hunting. This left Thorn a true outcast within the U-Tribe. Knowing he would not last long as a male Seeker Miqo’te he ventured out into the Sagolii Desert. Many thought him as good as dead, but Thorn possessing a persistent soul proved everyone wrong. For many cycles he survived the desert even making a return to the springs to resupply. Eventually Thorn managed to find a regular job at Byregot’s Strike keeping the mines clean from dust and sand, and on occasions the odd clearing out of monsters. 

One night when the sky was clear and the stars were bright Thorn started to wonder what else was out there in the world, and that very next day fate, being a funny old girl, presented Thorn with a glimpse of what could be. A group of travelling adventurers wandered into Byregot’s Strike looking for ways to make some quick gil. During the nightly drinks Thorn watch intriguingly how close the adventurers were. At some point during the night one of the adventurers; a burly Roegadyn, who had tanked the ale back, started to get a little boisterous with his fellow adventurers asking them for a sparring session. None would accept, but Thorn did, to the surprise of everyone around. 

The excitement of the fight thrilled Thorn and he never wanted it to end, he even managed to land a few hits on the Roegadyn that shocked the giant. But the fight was ended when the Roegadyn pinned Thorn to the ground by sitting on him; “You fight like a storm possessed boy, your fists are like Thunder when they hit, fast and true.” The words still etched into Thorns mind to this day. Saying goodbye to the adventurers left an itch in Thorns stomach, he wanted that companionship, he wanted to see the world. So he left, he got on the next cart to Ul’Dah to start his adventures. Never saying no to anything Thorn has experienced a lot during his travels, and he never wants that to end.  

Special Details: Thorn just wants to find a big Roegadyn preferably with a big bushy beard to be his best friend, they will drink together, adventure together and share bro hugs when they are feeling down, happy, or just… all the time...  

I haven't given Thorn a specific job role as he will generally try to fight with anything at hand, however I don't picture him being a magic user. 

This is still a work in progress so any feedback will be much appreciated. Also while I am here I currently play on the Louisoix Server and have recently joined a small RP linkshell that is still deciding on what to do. If there are any other Louisoix players that are currently RP'ing or thinking about it please let me know as I would be happy to join if you are accepting newbies.

:D

Lore wise everything seems well anchored in lore to me. The fact that your character is an orphan outsider to the U tribe and that it stirs trouble is good since yes indeed, the whole point of the Seeker breeding system is that only the most suitable male produces offspring, and offspring of the tribe, so you bet that an outsider taken in would get much scorn, and his mother even more.

I think you should even feel free ICly to play and abuse a lot with that fact because that's really something that would get you shunned pretty quick from most seeker traditional tribes.

As mentioned nothing there seems to break boundaries in terms of what wouldn't or couldn't happen. Background wise it's fine, and it works as a nice clean slate to begin with.

Like many new RPers though, whilst you've got a good backstory that tells us a lot about what the character has gone through, there's less to be said for what we know about who the character really is. 

What you can fill in now is the real clockwork that makes the character tick and gives it a heartbeat - the sort of things that're going to be more relevant in RP than their history - since if anything, a history only serves to explain how the character got to where they are. 

Are they the sort of person who lies a lot? Are they prepared to take a life - for reasons like coin, or only to save another, or to save more lives? Do they have habits or hobbies, hidden talents or maybe lack skills most people have instead? Would they keep quiet and let others walk over them to save causing trouble, or stick up for themselves and fight back even if it earns them a scar? How do they deal with the regrets for the past they have? Who do they trust or turn to if they're direly in need of help? Who or what do they hate, or love most? Are the ends more important than the means to them? Is there a line they would never cross?

Most new RPers are keen to develop a good backstory which is great, but when your character starts interacting with others, it's not like everyone stands there trading their histories. They'll talk - and what they talk about is only half as important as how they talk, what they're doing whilst they're talking, and how the other character responds to those things. 

http://www.miniworld.com/adnd/100ThingsAboutUrPCBackGround.html

Have a read through those questions and try answering them as your character. The clearer each answer is, the better!

That's great thanks.

Thank you both. 

What you can fill in now is the real clockwork that makes the character tick and gives it a heartbeat - the sort of things that're going to be more relevant in RP than their history - since if anything, a history only serves to explain how the character got to where they are. 

Are they the sort of person who lies a lot? Are they prepared to take a life - for reasons like coin, or only to save another, or to save more lives? Do they have habits or hobbies, hidden talents or maybe lack skills most people have instead? Would they keep quiet and let others walk over them to save causing trouble, or stick up for themselves and fight back even if it earns them a scar? How do they deal with the regrets for the past they have? Who do they trust or turn to if they're direly in need of help? Who or what do they hate, or love most? Are the ends more important than the means to them? Is there a line they would never cross?

Most new RPers are keen to develop a good backstory which is great, but when your character starts interacting with others, it's not like everyone stands there trading their histories. They'll talk - and what they talk about is only half as important as how they talk, what they're doing whilst they're talking, and how the other character responds to those things. 

http://www.miniworld.com/adnd/100ThingsA...round.html

Have a read through those questions and try answering them as your character. The clearer each answer is, the better!

This is great I will check it out!

Cheers