Release the... hounds?

In the 'origin story' of my Miqo girls, their sire was a thief and got caught trying to rob a manor. Oops. The lord of the manor sends his hounds after the scoundrel...
https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/ips/index.php?/topic/20408-a-tale-of-tregardes/

But 'hounds' sounds so cliche. I'd like to spice it up with some creature a little more interesting.

Being new to FF14, I'm not sure what would fill the role of 'hounds' to hunt down intruders. They would have to be something that can be tamed, yet vicious when ordered to attack. They would have to be either native to Eorzea, or something that could reasonably be imported by a rich noble.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you want to use the example set by the pirates of Satasha (and Hellbreaker Isle, I think?)... while they use hounds, they also have Couerls apparently at their beck and call as well. So they might work as an alternative - and they're native to La Noscea! I mean, being chased down by a vicious electro-panther sounds pretty intimidating. Though, there's nothing keeping you from looking at the other beasts of Hydaelyn and pick something you think could work and just have this be a unique quirk of that lord (or the guardian pet in question).

Or you could just have "hounds" be usual guards. I mean, having arrows and magic coming flying at you from trained muscle can also be pretty harrowing. Or maybe they could have some beast tribe grunts - not technically human (hence "beast" tribes) - but they could both be pliant and yet quite dangerous to fight (like the Amaljaa!). And if you want to paint the lord as someone (or has someone in his employ) who dabbles in the darker forces, there's always bound Voidsent minions.

And if you're willing to diverge from living guard dogs, there's plenty of other options there too. Animated golems and repurposed Magitek robots simply do their task without remorse and could be equally as worrisome to see trudging relentlessly at you. Even a well armed Mammet could be threatening if done right, I'm sure.

Hope some of this helps!

At work so I can only do a short reply, but the two species that came to mind were Coeurl (native to the Near East but imported to Ul'dah and Limsa) and Hounds of varying classifications: Jackals (native to Vylbrand), Direwolves (Black Shroud), Hoarhounds (Coerthas). A bit more exotic, but there're also Tigers who're native to the Far East and newly imported to Vylbrand.

I definitely recommend Anonymoose's Raimdelle Codex Alces if you're wanting more info on Eorzean creatures.

Good ideas, thanks. Now to think about how to embellish the story.  Or, more accurately, how Moire would embellish it since it's her telling and she loves to exaggerate.

And thanks for the link to the creature list. That'll come in handy.