All the rp servers are full, where go?

Ultramegahero

Hey there, I'm a new player that rps in wow a ton and really wanted to try out the rp over here. The only issue is the 3 rp servers I've been directed to are all full, does anyone know what server I should go to for my best chance at finding an rp community? Thanks so much for any help and sorry if this isn't the right spot to post this.

I can't speak to Omega since I'm in America, but of the two RP servers there, only Balmung is truly closed off...at least until this week's downtime.  After the downtime, I imagine it'll be more like how Mateus is now: new character creation restricted to off-peak times.  You can still make the character, but you'll have to wait for times in the day that the server isn't quite so busy.  A tip I have is that, if you're trying to create the character but it's still peak time and can't get the character in, save the character appearance data so that when things ease off a bit, you can simply reload the appearance data and save time in the later attempt to get the character in.

Oh wow really? I had no idea that they closed servers for little bits of time like that. Thank you so much for the info, I habe my character appearance saved so I'll just keep an eye out for the other servers. So if Balmung is closed off, what's the other rp Server? Mateus? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it! 

Yeah, Mateus is the other RP server for NA.  Balmung's been completely closed off since Stormblood's launch last year as part of SE's attempt at balancing server loads, but it's supposed to be reopened this week once the downtime is completed.

Servers have two different forms of closing, which is also important to keep in mind.

Soft close:

> "Too many people are logged in RIGHT NOW and new character creation is not allowed."

In this case, the server will open/close based on activity. Likely open during non-peak hours. Try during american mornings/late nights when people should be sleeping. This is generally what's affecting Mateus right now. you can usually still transfer characters in (paid service).

Hard close:

> "Too many people have been logged in/active to such an extent that it's detrimental to the server. The active population is consistently above the soft-close threshold."

In this case, the server's labelled as congested and restrict all new character creation and transfers in, no matter the case. This is where Balmung's been since the datacenter move May 2017 prior to Stormblood's launch. Congested servers typically try to offer incentives to people to leave that server, especially to "preferred" (lower population than average) servers. 

After the maintenance, Balmung and other congested servers will be getting a chance let people in, but t hey'll likely still soft close if the traffic is too high. I'd suggest getting a character in on Mateus because things will be easier and possibly cheaper. We're not sure was estimated demand to make/transfer into Balmung's gonna look like, but based on past experiences because the server's been soft-closing since like 2014, it'll be fast.  

Actually, where housing prices are the same on all three of the most populated RP servers.. the economies there are VERY different otherwise.

I have characters on all three servers, and things are still significantly cheaper on Balmung than on Mateus. In fact, Gilgamesh is still cheaper than Mateus as well. Give me a few minutes and I'll show you the price differences after a quick re-check at the boards.

CatBiter is exactly right on that, it's quite lucrative to level a crafter on Mateus. High House Boots cost me perhaps 50k on Balmung but something like 300-400k on Mateus. Economy is important to keep in mind, but I also recommend checking out Free Companies that are listed to help your decision between servers! There's also smaller communities that might catch your interest like Faerie and Siren. 

Housing same pricing as per the fact that it's figured via account presence per server. Housing, unsurprisingly never really accounts for any portion of the economy as a result of that as well as the screwy system they currently have in place, other than being a higher goal. At current small houses on Gil. Mat, and Bal as a result are running between 2.3-3.7 mil and dropping with the timers for personals dropping this tuesday, for those who can buy under the new rules implemented week before last.

I did not check pricing on airship and submersible parts, as those are always exorbitant amounts due to the amount of materials, work and time put into them; usually amounting to enough to buy a house, AND requiring a house with a running workshop (costing an additional 800k to even build the shop) to make them in the first place.

That said I checked what we crafters know are the real tellers: rarer materials and especially the items they make. Starting with last x-pac's most sought after item. I rounded off to thousands, down or up depending on teh change. This does not include sales tax applied between city-states, as it differs from server to server.

Wool top

Mateus: 315, 000

Gilgamesh: 120,000

Balmung: 120,000

Thav Wool Shirt

Mateus: 1.4 million

Gilgamesh: 1.9 million

Balmung: 1.2 million

Ala Mhigan Crafting (top only)

Mateus: 875,000

Gilgamesh: 200,000

Balmung: 119,000

Sweaters (winter & adventurer)

Mateus: (W) 350,000 : (A) 4.3 million

Gilgamesh: (W) 100,000 (A) 3 million

Balmung:  (W) 34,000 (A) 990,000

In short.. if you want to make money on a server, or price of RP clothing and other items is a big thing for you; Balmung is the best bet for an RPer, while Mateus is okay for RPers who craft on the side if you want to make money. Keep in mind though that getting to the point where you can craft high end, top level items will also be as costly, and in some cases require group content such as Gazelleskin and Dragonskiin maps. You will spend as much as you earn if not more for the first 50 levels, until or unless you spend the time to grind out your gathering alongside it.

Edited by CatBiter

In the end, if pricing is any part of your decision; it all depends on what you want to do.

If you intend to go crafting and have friends who have levelled crafting and can kit you to at least 50 without an exorbitant tip (most kitters on Bal ask 350,000 to 600,000 gil for a full lvl 50 crafting kit depending on the craft; as crafts like ARM and WVR are much more time, base material  and crystal consuming), have a pre-levelled character to transfer, or intend to mash gathering first alongside a gathering retainer as you level one yourself (which I highly reccomend for new crafters): the costs won't hit you as hard, and you may be able to afford the things you want without borrowing from a friend or FC.

If you're going pure RP though and cost of RP clothes, the materials to make them and the tips preferred for someone else to take their time to level, gather, and create effects your choice? I would definitely recommend looking into FCs and communities with a higher population server like Balmung.