Completely new. Hiya!

KisukeOboro

Hello,

I'm interested in trying out RPing. I've been watching a bunch of Critical Role and thinking how fun it seems. I don't own any DnD books, dice or anything, but I do have this FF14 subscription and I was happy to discover that RPing is possible on MMOs. So I have a couple of questions rq on a couple of things maybe if someone could point me to the correct thread where I can look?

So first question would be should I try and get on Balmung asap since I hear that after maintenance tonight they might open up character creation for that server. Should I just make a character on that server and then think of a backstory and everything later? I have already a character template saved that I think will work with what I want to do with the character.

Second question would be should I look for a specific FC or group or do you think it would work if I just kind of wandered around and seeing what happens? The character I would like to create is pretty much a wandering refugee arriving to Eorzea from war torn Doma (circa Garlean occupation) so I think it could potentially work character wise.

Soon I gotta get to my static on my main so I'll think of a couple more questions after that.

If you can get an avatar or two on Balmung then I would suggest doing so. You can decide what to do with the character shell later via fantasias, name changes, etc.

As far as your next question my answer would be: Why not both?

Browse around the FC and LS sections, wander about in game, see who you meet.

Welcome! Love seeing a fellow Critter!! Transferring in a character to Balmung is probably the easiest way to get onto the server. If you want to try D&D, there's also some great resources out there for playing D&D on the internet. The Critical Role Fan Club on Facebook or the Critical Role subreddit is a great place to start.

You should also show up to events and interact with random people! Best of luck!

On 2/20/2018 at 7:23 AM, KisukeOboro said:

Hello,

I'm interested in trying out RPing. I've been watching a bunch of Critical Role and thinking how fun it seems. I don't own any DnD books, dice or anything, but I do have this FF14 subscription and I was happy to discover that RPing is possible on MMOs. So I have a couple of questions rq on a couple of things maybe if someone could point me to the correct thread where I can look?

So first question would be should I try and get on Balmung asap since I hear that after maintenance tonight they might open up character creation for that server. Should I just make a character on that server and then think of a backstory and everything later? I have already a character template saved that I think will work with what I want to do with the character.

Second question would be should I look for a specific FC or group or do you think it would work if I just kind of wandered around and seeing what happens? The character I would like to create is pretty much a wandering refugee arriving to Eorzea from war torn Doma (circa Garlean occupation) so I think it could potentially work character wise.

Soon I gotta get to my static on my main so I'll think of a couple more questions after that.

welcome \o

1. yes

2. most FCs are holed up in housing neighborhoods. check out their websites/discords and application processes

So I was able to get two alts onto Balmung last night so lucky me! Though I put the alt that I think I want to start with on Mateus and try that. I spent the entire maintenance creating appearance data for potential alts and chose the ones I thought I might do. Imma go and start detailing one of their backstories now.

Follow up questions:

Do people mainly use a separate system than the in game battle system for RPing? Are there some that do and some that don't?

So like DnD, are these RP experiences guided by a DM or GM at all? Or is it free for all?

2 hours ago, KisukeOboro said:

Follow up questions:

Do people mainly use a separate system than the in game battle system for RPing? Are there some that do and some that don't?

So like DnD, are these RP experiences guided by a DM or GM at all? Or is it free for all?

There are any number of systems different FC's use.   I've seen Fate 14 (there's a link somewhere on here to it.  I'm too tired to search right now.)  A modified Roll20 system, just general dice rolling (high low).  It really depends on the venue.

4 hours ago, KisukeOboro said:

Depends on the FC and the group very much :)

In my current FC, we have events that are DM'd by someone, and then there's some casual situations where there is none. 
We, personally, use the ingame /random without any specific system. The DM holding the event decides the limits players have to overcome, depending on the difficulty of the task and the circumstances.

Edited by Xihsa'li Tayuun