How rare are Dark Knights?

poolemon

Hi,

I'd like to RP a DRK at some point but I'm not sure how doable that is lorewise, as far as I know it only ever says a valiant few?.

I constantly hear mixed things about it like it never says there AREN'T lots of them running around Ishgard, but at the same time if there were more then they'd show up, right?

Would it be as simple as saying she knew a DRK at some point in her backstory who eventually died and it's as simple as that to get hold of a soulstone or would I have to make something more complex? I know the DRKs you meet in the storyline, the master literally just says he quit being a temple knight and became a DRK and as far as I know it didn't go into detail about how he actually did that. I want to just be respectful to lore as much as possible while also being an edgy knight of justice!

Any responses appreciated, if only to just make me feel better about making it be so "easy".

Most of the Jobs are rare per the lore, some more so than others, but that doesn't mean that there aren't several ways to make it happen!

Some lore on the Dark Knights found here.

Dark Knights are essentially errant swordsmen who've become disenchanted with Ishgardian law and classism, and take the law into their own hands using the "dark arts". While there's never been a ton of these knights running around Ishgard at any given time, there's theoretically enough that you could say your character has met one. Perhaps, like Sidurgu in the DRK quests, your character was being unfairly persecuted or harassed by a Temple Knight and they came to your character's rescue. Maybe they died and your character took their soul crystal. Maybe they gave your character a spare one as a parting gift. Maybe your character parted ways and sought him out later in life to thank him for something he did in your backstory.

I would argue in both the game itself and RP, dark knights are rather rare as to be one is a hard life that not many RPers want to take up (and NPCs get hunted by holier-than-thou people for being perceived as being demons and junk)

Dark knights specifically in name are tied to Ishgard by the term "knight". You can safely be a sword-slinging user of the dark arts and never have been tied to Ishgard. Or even a sword slinger vigilante that doesn't use dark arts. 

The thing so many people do when they go around RPing as a DRK is that they act edgy and really don't flesh things out at all. 

The DRK storyline is fantastic at highlighting the sacrifices and inner turmoil along with the general outcast nature of it all.

Like a few other jobs, DRKs are fueled through emotions but unlike other jobs, it is misinterpreted by NPCs as voidal/evil magicks and the sort. 

It's a hard road to be a proper dark knight in roleplay in my opinion and in fact the three (well, one had to be killed, so two) people John has put on the Path were not done lightly and for quite awhile, he felt guilty about it until he accepted that they 100% wanted it.