Working on Sharlayan themed Character.

Ramen

So I've recently started RPing a Roe named Rebel Yell (Yes I know after the David Bowie song.))

I've been crafting the story around her having been from the colony. She basically studied there, became a Sharlayan Conservator, and focused on the study and upkeep of relics and the elimination of Void-sent. She uses gilded alloy weaponry to dampen magic and chains to contain relics. I was curious about the lore implications and the possibility of more experience lore experts and the opinions of other roleplayers about gaining some tips and info on the matter of how I can better build on this character concept. 

I love Sharlayans.

This character sounds fine to me, really. One thing I would advise is if she studied in the colony before and during the exodus you're probably looking at a character that is in their mid thirties at the youngest.

I'm not sure about lore explanations for your gilded alloy but there is probably a metal out there suitable for it. Just don't choose one that conducts it instead of dampens I.E. silver. Alternatively, I know characters that just have regular ol guarded storehouses for the plunder they obtain.

You'd probably need to develop the backstory about why she chose to stay in Eorzea after the Exodus or if she returned to the Old World and left again. Does she have family? Where do they live? Why is she here now? How does she feel about the politics of her homeland?

All fun things to think about.

6 hours ago, Teadrinker said:

I love Sharlayans.

This character sounds fine to me, really. One thing I would advise is if she studied in the colony before and during the exodus you're probably looking at a character that is in their mid thirties at the youngest.

I'm not sure about lore explanations for your gilded alloy but there is probably a metal out there suitable for it. Just don't choose one that conducts it instead of dampens I.E. silver. Alternatively, I know characters that just have regular ol guarded storehouses for the plunder they obtain.

You'd probably need to develop the backstory about why she chose to stay in Eorzea after the Exodus or if she returned to the Old World and left again. Does she have family? Where do they live? Why is she here now? How does she feel about the politics of her homeland?

All fun things to think about.

As far as the magic dampening  is concered I got it from the blurb on the Gilded Magitek Armor. A friend informed me it was there. 

As for her reasons those I am still working out. She initially started out hunting down lost and scattered pages of the Necrologos but I assumed she always differed in opinion on the topic of hands on scholastics. The concept behind her is Tomb Raider meets Van Helsing so she is definitely a see the world type. 

I was also curious about non-standard means of using magic. Like artifacts and items. 

A big concern I have is the attitude others might have toward a character who is not only Sharlayan but isnt a standard "Insert game class here." She uses things like clubs, rapiers, chains, utilizing aether to enhance her strikes like many other melee eorzeans but deals in magic items like a barbarian artificer or something. 

A real rogue scholar.

As far as I know we don't actually have any information on what alloy is actually used in the Gilded Reaper, but that is something that can be used. Personally I'd say just keep the actual metal used vague since many of the more precious metals are indeed conductive to aether. In addition as Teadrinker said anyone raised in the Colony is going to be on the older side, especially if they stayed in Eorzea instead of evacuating. If I am remembering this correctly, I don't have my lore book in front of me, but the colony was abandoned 16-18 years ago depending on how you personally want to look at the passage of time since the start of ARR ((Devs say only one year has passed in lore but it makes little sense and of course may clash with people who've been actively rping since launch. My advice is be sort of fluid with this)). My own character was twelve when the Colony was abandoned and is now currently 35 to give you an idea of the age ranges that are more likely to be believable. If she stayed behind alone I'd suggest a bit older to be honest unless she did evacuate and then came back to Eorzea at a later time.

Over all I think you have a really neat idea, granted as a Sharlayan rper I am a bit biased, and think the weapon idea is pretty cool as well. There is nothing at all preventing her from using weapons that aren't currently used in the game's job system, or being something that isn't quite a job in the system. There are quite a few who do that so you should have no worry there and it isn't really even lore breaking. 

We have to keep in mind that garlean metalworking is highly advanced compared to eorzean and far eastern technics, and everything they seem to use is about advanced alloys (titanium alloys, garlean steel alloys, or cermet: those are aether neutral though, they just have very strong physical properties).

I can rather safely assume that gold is a conductive material, per a few inks descriptions:

Ink fortified with gold sand to improve aetherial conductivity.

This one doesn't exactly state it per se since it's more about fashion than magical arts, but I can think that gold being interchangeable for electrum and jade for amber, can be a hint that both materials are similar in aetherial nature: 

There is a faddish austerity movement afoot in Gridania. They eschew gold─in favor of electrum. They renounce jade─and embrace amber. Other traders feel that both together is too much, but I shall have these circlets displayed alongside huge collars of jade and gold. Contrast is everything.

Ore more generally, looking at various items, some other materials increasing aetherial conductivity, by orders of magnitude: 

Copper, Brass, Iron,

Bone (Horns, Ivory, etc), Blood, Amber

Electrum, Silver

Platinum, Aurum (gold), Jade

Mithrite, Holy Rainbow fibers

Koppranickel, Durium, Palladium

Edited by Valence
On 2/28/2018 at 7:25 AM, Ramen said:

A big concern I have is the attitude others might have toward a character who ... isnt a standard "Insert game class here." She uses things like clubs, rapiers, chains, utilizing aether to enhance her strikes like many other melee eorzeans but deals in magic items like a barbarian artificer or something.

As long as you don't make your character overpowered, I don't see any problem there. The classes are mainly a game mechanic. Many NPCs can do things beyond what we players can do. Realistically, there's nothing preventing anyone from picking up a club and learning to use it. Or a chain, or rapier, or whatever. Plus, in a way, our characters CAN learn to do just about anything, it's just game mechanics that force us to utilize only one set of skills and abilities at a time.

1 hour ago, Tregarde said:

As long as you don't make your character overpowered, I don't see any problem there. The classes are mainly a game mechanic. Many NPCs can do things beyond what we players can do. Realistically, there's nothing preventing anyone from picking up a club and learning to use it. Or a chain, or rapier, or whatever. Plus, in a way, our characters CAN learn to do just about anything, it's just game mechanics that force us to utilize only one set of skills and abilities at a time.

Just to add on this, some people can and have played using skills and weapons that were not accessible at the time. For example: even before Mechanist existed, there were people RPing using guns. Many people can and have described summoning Egis that are not accessible to the existing Summoner job - and doing Trances beyond Bahamut. Heck, I have a character on Mateus who is a Puppetmaster (and I know of at least one other person who describes their character's "job" as Puppetmaster) and the Judge is (shocking no one) effectively a FFTA Judgemaster.

Plus, there's technically a club in the game anyway (it's a PVP-earned model for DRK, I believe - plus the... machati or whatever they're called that PLD/GLD can use are very club like)... and at the Grindstone I've seen people who boast a wide range of both conventional and unconventional weaponry.