Info about Hingashi?

Does anyone know of any good resources for lore info on Hingashi?   I haven't been able to find out much about it through google searches and I'm assuming SE has not released much official canon info about it yet. 

The only info I have been able to find essentially states that Hingashi is an island nation near Othard. It follows an isolationist policy and Kugane/Shirogane are the only places within its borders open to foreigners.   After a time period known as the age of blood which involved a lot of internal warfare it came to be ruled by an organization/a form of military government called "Bakufu".   The capitol city of Hingashi is called "Bukyo" and is the only other currently known city in the country.  The names of the Hingashi islands are Shishu and Koshu. 

Can anyone add any info to this please?  

Specifically, I'm interested in knowing a bit more about its government and if it had/has a class system or not etc.   What is the Bakufu exactly?   

When in doubt I'm assuming its probably okay to just fill in the blanks with traditional Japanese culture to some extent at least since Hingashi seems to be based on Japan.  I'm wondering if it could fit in with the lore well enough to have an exiled Hingashi noble or something similar end up in Eorzea?  

On top of my head:

The Bakufu, much like IRL, is the native term of the Shogunate and means government.

We know that the ninjutsu arts originate from those islands. The most ancient ninja families are the only ones to have mastered a 4th Mudra (Karazu excepted).

Koshu is famous for its rice quality, unlike Shishu rice which is considered a bit bland if remember my sidequests right.

Kugane is actually open to foreigners only in the port district, which is the foreigner area. Other places like the castle for example, are out of reach. Exactly like it was already the case under the Shogunate IRL in Japan and how all the dutch missionaries and envoys were confined on a small district, but otherwise had access to most of the culture and services you could find elsewhere.

The Shinsengumi is composed of mostly commoners united and mandated as a police force with the right of life and death on commoners or Ijin (foreigners) in the port district. I'm unsure if they have any presence or authority outside of the foreigner district though. They are NOT samurai in the strictest sense, but samurai as the job/skillset, in that they are allowed to carry katanas and noble weapons, and follow their fighting techniques. True samurai are the noble class, but the Shinsengumi seem to have been afforded a lot of the rights usually associated to samurai, but are technically subordinated to the hingan aristocracy and directly depend on the castle.

Kugane follows a strict neutral policy in their foreign relations, and this includes Garlemald, which isn't really interested in their islands and are content right now to just sell their stuff like they do in Radz-at-Han, as well as having an embassy for political intrigue and espionage.

I think we don't know if they have an imperial family as well as an emperor or just a shogun, and even what the shogun is called beside the government being referred to as Bakufu.

Various terms:

Ijin = Gaijin (foreigner)

Bugyo = Daimyo (samurai lord)

? = Geisha (entertainer hostess)   <- can someone refresh my memory on the ffxiv word for geisha?

It's my take on it but contrary to what I usually suggest for eorzean cultures that are their very own creation, Hingashi to my eyes is a faithful copy with slightly different names of the Sengoku/Edo eras (Sengoku for the age of blood and Edo for the current Bakufu). So yeah, go ahead and consider that Hingan culture works really like Edo Japan, with a few specific details added on top of it... But yeah, we never know if someday they decide to make it more distinct or not.

Musoshai isn't a noble/samurai if I remember correctly, but he is (self) exiled. This is at least an example. And I don't see what would prevent anyone to  get exiled. This combined with the culture and traditions gets very interesting to my eyes considering that being exiled instead of being granted sepukku is the ultimate disgrace.

Edited by Valence

I don't have the time currently to upload and paste my screenshot sources, but to add to what Valence has posted thus far:

Government and Law

• The Tairo refers to a high-ranking position in the bakufu, typically one who leads the governmental council. The closest analogue is the office of “prime minister”.
  • Kugane is ruled by a lord bugyo. A “bugyo” is a magistrate or governor, often of a city or head of a government department. “Bugyo” can also refer to “commissioner” (such as in “naval commissioner”).
  • Hingashi is host to numerous great lords held together by allegiance to the bakufu. These lords often engage in political maneuvering against one another despite Hingashi's peaceful appearance. It is also implied that there is a great deal of corruption in Hingashi's upper government. In-game they did not refer to these lords as "daimyo" though they can be assumed to be of identical status.
  • Hingans guilty of grievous crimes–such as murder or sedition–may be ordered to commit “seppuku”, or ritual suicide by disembowelment, to atone for their crimes.
  • The Sekiseigumi’s traditional weapons are the katana and the lance. At times, they may also use a war axe or concealed daggers.

Society and Culture

• Hingan social structure is largely caste-based, separated between commoners (including merchants), samurai, and aristocrats. Social mobility is highly uncommon, and social status tends to be inherited rather than earned.
  • Like Edo-period Japan, katanas are status symbols that may only be worn by samurai.
  • Kugane is host to a rich theatre culture with the Mujikoza Theatre, typically kabuki theatre.
  • Hingan cuisine is largely analogous to Japanese cuisine.
  • Hingashi is home to a class of artisans known as "Onishishu", who created Kugane's aetheryte. They are secretive and fiercely guard their techniques.
  • Hingashi has a culture of "geiko": these are highly skilled female entertainers (not prostitutes, though prostitutes reside in Sanjo Hanamachi alongside geiko) who are expected to be trained in a wide variety of arts such as singing, dancing, poetry, and calligraphy. A geiko-in-training is known as a "maiko".

Religion, Traditions, and Magic

• Hingans revere "kami", spirits that are said to inhabit the world. Native Hingans may embark on a hallowed pilgrimage to visit the temples of Hingashi to pay homage to the kami.
  • Hingan priests are known as "onmyoji". They are known to perform rituals, exorcisms, and occasionally diviniation. In Hingashi, blood rituals are forbidden as taboo: an onmyoji may use a blood ritual to summon a "shikigami", a restless spirit.
  • Hingashi has a tradition of divination magic similar to astrology called "geomancy", wherein geomancers divine the future through elemental wind, water, and earth. It is common for lords and merchants alike to consult with geomancers before making significant decisions.

Materials and Trade

• Hingan steel is referred to as "tama-hagane", and is culturally significant for its use in creating katanas.
  • Hingashi has horses and has martial traditions based on horses. Horse archery is celebrated, with occasional tournaments.
  • Many of Hingashi's material culture is sourced from Yanxia, such as tea.

And some basic vocabulary:

koban - Money. This is the term Hingans use instead of “gil”.

I speak only the truth. A truth that all can see─all save this two-koban rag merchant, and the amateur aesthetes who waste their coin on a clumsy child who hides her shameful lack of skill with gaudy, uncultured garb. 

What are you selling? I have a few koban stashed away, if you will accept them. …What is wrong? Why do you hesitate? You are a merchant, are you not? 

Thanks to you meeting with the chief, not only did I receive a generous sum of koban but I think I may have even moved up a few pegs in the Confederacy. 

While the thing may have cost me a fortune, I do not regret a single koban I spent on it. This rock has proven to me that I have what it takes to protect my people and my village, and that I need nothing more than my two arms and legs to do it. 

sensei - “Master”. This term is extremely uncommon; it is only used once in the entire game. The generic term “Master” is used far more frequently (such as “Master Musosai”). 

kami - used as a generic substitute for “gods”. (”Kami preserve us”, etc.). In a religious sense, used to refer to the spirits that reside in precious items and treasures, as well as nature.

aibou -  Generally, can be translated to “partner” or “buddy”, and can be used to refer to a close working relationship as “partner” (such as a detective and deputy). Reno and Rude from Final Fantasy 7 are an example of partners or “aibou”. In the Japanese version, Estinien calls the Warrior of Light “aibou” as well.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, Valence said:

On top of my head:

The Bakufu, much like IRL, is the native term of the Shogunate and means government.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:13 AM, Nero said:

I don't have the time currently to upload and paste my screenshot sources, but to add to what Valence has posted thus far:

Thank you both for the very detailed info!  It was quite helpful and interesting to read.